Ban Motorbikes from Thai Schools

A province in Laos is banning motorbikes from secondary schools. This ban is also being tried at other Laos locations. The students are instead being encouraged to ride bicycles. How would this work in Thailand?

The benefits stated by Laos authorities make sense.

Fewer traffic accidents.

Better health and fitness for students by the use of bicycles.

Less peer pressure encouraging motorbike racing and dangerous stunts.

Less stigma for those who cannot afford motorbikes.

The Traffic Department is working with students to educate them of the traffic laws.

It seems this would be feasible in many Thai provinces and outlying areas.

Or would putting hundreds of bicycles into traffic just add to the mayhem?

See the article here: Asian News Network

Personally I do not think bicycles and traffic mix. I know they are good exercise and a pleasant way to travel but they do not fit in town traffic. Motorcycles seem to handle traffic better.

Edited by harrry

just add to the mayhem.... notice at least 50% coming out of school have 2 - 5 kids on a scooter, so bicycles in traffic then would double..

next it will be give every kid a bicycle to go with the laptop thing.

From the first lines I thought this idea is doomed in Thailand. The objections will come from all corners: families, political, economics, road safety etc.

Much easier would seem to enforce the laws Thailand has installed. But it only seems to be easy. Thais copy laws from the West. Whether they understand them is another matter.

The law enforcement in Thailand just as the concepts of maintenance are yet to be discovered.

Twice a day, at the start and end of schools - 4 (four!) kids on a 150cc scooter, all underaged, all without helmets - this is an International Mark of Thailand!

Let us not talk any Revolutionary ideas.

Ah, the beauty of Buddhism! These kids do not die, - they just get reborn!

• Like 1

Well, Laos is a different beast. Doubt it would be followed here (and maybe not there, but you never know).

As for bicycles in traffic, if you are a relatively experienced rider, keeping up with traffic in small Thai towns is no problem. You move right along with the motorbikes downtown, so, faster than a car, ironically. It would be tougher in hilly areas (where I am at is flat, flat, flat).

I think its a great idea except in BKK. The traffic here is too congested and I would fear for their safety. I ride my bike on some roads here and it is not easy. In less populated areas i think its a great idea, putting in a few bike lanes would certainly add to safety and ease congestion.

Why don't we ban computers and encourage them to play soccer instead next ....... How about we ban everything except organic vegetables and prayer meetings ?

How about instead we promote freedom and recognize that all people have the right to live their lives as they see fit without harming others ?

Maybe next we should ban farm tractors to avoid the stigma for people who can't afford one as a way to improve humanity .........

If you ban everything that people abuse or ban it because some other person cant afford it you will be left with ........... nothing

• Like 2

I think its a great idea except in BKK. The traffic here is too congested and I would fear for their safety. I ride my bike on some roads here and it is not easy. In less populated areas i think its a great idea, putting in a few bike lanes would certainly add to safety and ease congestion.

You think it's a great idea because you are a communist dunce cap

how many of them have a licence.... if you hit one without a licence who will get blamed?

About the license...kids can get motorbike license when they 15(up to110cc)....do they need a parent permission,or is it not necessary?

Geez, why not take away all their fun. Most people in the West are totally jealous of the fact that Thai teenagers are allowed to ride around on motorcycles as they see fit.

The West has sanitized people to the point that even walking out of the house is a serious offence for some people. Next you will say no screaming, running around, acting foolish, chewing gum, pop, and anything that looks like fun should be banned.

The article is utter rubbish. It will take time, maybe 20 or 30 years but people here will become as "Big Brothered" as those in the West, we do not need to speed the process up.

What this man? said.

Adventurers come to Asian because it is different and then on TV they complain because it is not like the "Big Brothered" country they come from. X is bad, Y is bad. etc. In the US and worse in Aus. one cannot enjoy driving as one has to spend more time looking for the police than on the actual experience of driving.

I'm still with the "you know where the airport is" crowd.

• Like 2

Even in a 3rd world country I have to put up with a dumbass idea thought up by some silver tail trying to justify his existence. I thought I was going to leave all that behind when I moved here.

• Like 2

how many of them have a licence.... if you hit one without a licence who will get blamed?

About the license...kids can get motorbike license when they 15(up to110cc)....do they need a parent permission,or is it not necessary?

No but they will need the copies of the tabian bahn probably.

You think it's a great idea because you are a communist dunce cap

Such a classy response to a decent opinion.

It is clearly being tried primarily as a safety issue to cut down on motorcycle accidents involving the students. Not a bad goal. Perhaps not the best solution. I posted this topic to get some valid, thoughtful opinions, pro and con. You see how far that went. Thanks to those who posted a worthwhile comment.

It is clearly being tried primarily as a safety issue to cut down on motorcycle accidents involving the students. Not a bad goal. Perhaps not the best solution. I posted this topic to get some valid, thoughtful opinions, pro and con. You see how far that went. Thanks to those who posted a worthwhile comment.

Not a bad goal.

Followed by a ballistic rise in bicycle accidents. Followed by more legislation. Followed by.....................! Followed by fat legislators.

What's needed is proper education and implementation of existing road safety measures.

Along with many other countries, Thailand's highway code utilizes the Swedish model which is internationally regarded as the best model to use. However encouraging adherement to existing rules wouldn't create opportunities for the folks who make a career from adding nothing of any real value to society. Would it?

Jerry

Geez, why not take away all their fun. Most people in the West are totally jealous of the fact that Thai teenagers are allowed to ride around on motorcycles as they see fit.

The West has sanitized people to the point that even walking out of the house is a serious offence for some people. Next you will say no screaming, running around, acting foolish, chewing gum, pop, and anything that looks like fun should be banned.

The article is utter rubbish. It will take time, maybe 20 or 30 years but people here will become as "Big Brothered" as those in the West, we do not need to speed the process up.

Farangland has it's rules to save kids lives. Simple really. You say kids fun, hmmmmmm, not much fun at kids funerals and parents not taking the blame. A m/cycle is a loaded gun, in the hands of a kid it is even more dangerous. I know cos I was a kid once.