Italian expat arrested for stealing from Phuket temple

webfact

The Billionaire Monk has got nothing to do with it, what's the point of comparison? Unless it's to state that the Thais will be irritated by the Monk story, enraged by this story.

Of all the things to get caught doing in Thailand.

He's in a world of trouble now. Oh and you can bet this will get played to death in the Thai media.

Another strike against the reputation of farangs in Thailand.

Desperate men go for desperate measures. Let this be a reminder for all those who plans to be an Expat in the future. Make sure you have enough cash to provide yourself until you are senile.

Unfortunately, many here become "senile" as soon as they walk out the Phuket Airport exit door. :) :)

• Like 1

If he was hungry or needed shelter the temples will provide. But he's been a very silly billy for stealing and will be in a heap of trouble now.

The temples will provide? When did that last happen? Or perhaps you think that all the poor and starving on the streets prefer not to go to a temple?

Seems to me that the monks are usually in Panthip on a Sunday afternoon, usually 3 or 4 pm buying their latest gadgets.

Everybody, even foreigners can even live at a temple here with shelter and food. Monks don't give people money for alcohol, or drugs,

A good American friend lived at a temple in Ban Krut for a long time. Don't judge a book by its cover, please.-. wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Desperate men go for desperate measures. Let this be a reminder for all those who plans to be an Expat in the future. Make sure you have enough cash to provide yourself until you are senile.

Unfortunately, many here become "senile" as soon as they walk out the Phuket Airport exit door. smile.pngsmile.png

Yeah, you are probably right.

If he was hungry or needed shelter the temples will provide. But he's been a very silly billy for stealing and will be in a heap of trouble now.

The temples will provide? When did that last happen? Or perhaps you think that all the poor and starving on the streets prefer not to go to a temple?

Seems to me that the monks are usually in Panthip on a Sunday afternoon, usually 3 or 4 pm buying their latest gadgets.

Everybody, even foreigners can even live at a temple here with shelter and food. Monks don't give people money for alcohol, or drugs,

A good American friend lived at a temple in Ban Krut for a long time. Don't judge a book by its cover, please.-. wai2.gif

I believe you have to give a donation to the temple, so, in other words, you have to pay.

A Thai friend recently stayed 1 week in a temple, to pray, not because of financial hardship. On the last day, everyone had to give a donation to the head monk.

I believe you have to give a donation to the temple, so, in other words, you have to pay.

A Thai friend recently stayed 1 week in a temple, to pray, not because of financial hardship. On the last day, everyone had to give a donation to the head monk.

You might have to take a broom or do anything else.Please, the American guy is a good friend who ran out of money, but wanted to stay in Thailand.-wai2.gif

i was there today (pantip) and you are correct.

ps. today is tuesday.

Generally buying their gadgets with that donation money! laugh.png

Hence, their promptness to call the police... isn't the idea of Buddhism to change souls by showing compassion and leniency? Actually for monks, just a business. Not astonishing they behave like any shipowner would do with a shoplifter. biggrin.png

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, I have seen those monks. And the head abbots of Bangkok should be in there dishing out punishment to those that are there. Or Police should be removing them. They are not just there to look, but actually buying things. Some really expensive things many Thais (such as the man with his head probably still stuck underneath the phone box) cannot afford. Yes, the monk-hood is to demonstrate and lead with compassion and leniency, but perhaps considering he had done the same thing several times in a place of thought, they thought they had been compassionate and lenient enough. How many Thais have you heard that have stolen from Vatican churches?

How many Thais have you heard of that have even been to a 'Vatican' (I suppose you mean Catholic) church?

Somehow temples provide food and shelter, or some kind of help for Thai people in need. I do not know if its help falangs very often, but I know that falangs are welcome in many temples, if they are willing to do some work or get sincerely involved in the religion...This guy is in very bad shape financially and mentally and needs help. I hope the Thai police will understand that and help him to find the legal and financial assistance he will need to resolve his situation. I think is time to expats help expats in trouble and not just post negative critics and opinions...NOBODY IS FREE OF PROBLEMS SOME TIME IN LIFE..

Good to see some word of wisdom on this topic.

I recently heard of one guy I knew was sent back to home. Huge consumption of alcohol was a large part of the problem. At the end, his friend borrowed him quite a lot of money to send him back to his own country. I truly hope he will get things sorted out back there.

Then there is the question of going back. It's partly starting everything over again. When people grow a bit older, basically beaten down financially, mentally and likely physically, starting all over again is not so easy task anymore.

Btw. Noticed that The Phuket News did not post his pictures with the article. Props for that.

As an 10-year expat, he should know, that he is welcomed to have a free meal every day, if he can wake up before 9 a.m.!

I never used that option. instead I'm taking left-overs of farang-food I cooked (like 'Schweinebraten with Semmelknödel & Sauerkraut') to some wat....

and enjoy, when monks and poor people - after monks breakfast - enjoy my food!

So I think:

No need to steal money, just to survive!

(I have 7-year-experience only with small local wats, don't know anything about 'touri-wats')

• Like 1

i was there today (pantip) and you are correct.

ps. today is tuesday.

Yes you see monks in Pantip often, so what is the problem?

If he had taken the whole donation box, plus a fleet of Mercs and stepped out of the country he would be negotiating right now and telling them what he'll settle for. But don't take three bucks to feed yerself.

Looks like we enjoy an Italien week now after all the Russian related news.

I guess you haven't noticed yet on here. The stories concerning different Nationalities go in circles. This week Italians, next week Swedes the Brits, Yanks and Aussies etc... Can't bash everyone in the same week so there is an orderly queue that has been established.

Edited by chooka

So you see a few monks at Panthip and take that as representative of all monks in Thailand?

Quote Anugoon: "..........This guy is in very bad shape financially and mentally and needs help. I hope the Thai police will understand that and help him to find the legal and financial assistance he will need to resolve his situation. I think is time to expats help expats in trouble and not just post negative critics and opinions...NOBODY IS FREE OF PROBLEMS SOME TIME IN LIFE".

Perhaps I am one of those to post negative comments and opinions, however to get to the state where you have to steal 100 baht from a donation box in a temple is just not on. How are earth does one get to that state in the first place? If he is running a business and it goes bust then one has to hope that he ran it well and planned for all the "ups and downs" that happen in a restaurant business. If he didn't and goes bust as a result, then there is only one person to blame.

In addition, surely there are relatives back in Italy who he could ask for assistance, rather than stooping this low. AND if he doesn't have the money and can't stay here, then he should be back in Italy.

Personal responsibility is what it's all about – – take responsibility for your own situation whether it be good or bad, and ensure that there is always a backup plan to come to the rescue if all else fails.

Sorry I have no compassion for this man whatsoever.

• Like 2

no wonder most of the thais hate us or dont wont anything to do with us .idiots like this seem to be a dime a dozen in LOS these days

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The majority of Thais hate you and everyone else who isn't like them because someone from Italy stole 100 baht when he was down on his luck?

Think you need to re-evaluate reality a little old boy.

To be honest I dont think these stories are dime a dozen. Stories that are dime a dozen are vicious physical assaults by Thais. Corruption by Thais including their police force, scams and thefts by Thais. Needlessdeaths on the roads caused by reckless driving by Thais. Now those are dime a dozen.

I bet this farang gets skewered for stealing 100 ThB from a temple....while Mr. Wirapol Sukphol (AKA Luang Pu Nen Kham) will get away scot-free after stealing millions.

That's Thai justice.

Wirapol has not yet been in court, so you have no idea what the final result will be. But, going along with your line of thought, if one escapes justice, then all shall escape justice. Well, that settles it. Release the prisoners, and close the prisons. That will solve the problem and make everything equal. You aren't running for office, are you? I think you were my Democrat lawmaker in the states.

"...starving on the streets prefer not to go to a temple?"

Who is starving on the streets? People may be begging for money, but I doubt they are unable to get food. Thailand is not like the US or Europe or Africa where so many people are hungry.

In any event, the topic is about an Italian thief. Somehow everything subject is quickly turned to be the fault of Thailand.

''Who is starving on the streets?''Falangs down on their luck!