Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the "Walen School of Investing" have the appropriate credentials from the SET?

Seemingly some hefty penalties if caught doing the wrong thing i.e giving investment advice for a fee without the SEC's knowledge...

I am not giving any investment advice. I teach how to invest. That is not the same.

Paddy, some are just small positions. On a watch list if you like. It is a mini managed fund of the school. The important thing is the return the school will get. We will see how it develops but I aim at a significant return. Definitely much higher than if the school was depositing money in a bank and getting the going interest rate. Also 4.1% down is not "pretty bad condition". Not sure what standards you apply. Lets see the next few months.

its interesting how many people are buying stocks because interest rates are so low...its getting more interesting now that yields are creeping higher....it will get really interesting when rates are higher and the money isnt flooding into thailand and thai growth stagnates due to higher rates and less capital....

by the way, is this the only portfolio the school has or are there others?

The SEC might see it differently, no?

I will check it to make sure. Suppose there was a problem then I would not do it. This is an idea how to do something interesting but if there was a problem or was not much interest so be it. Would not make much difference to me, just the loss for those who could benefit. Does it satisfy you?

Edited by MacWalen

Paddy, some are just small positions. On a watch list if you like. It is a mini managed fund of the school. The important thing is the return the school will get. We will see how it develops but I aim at a significant return. Definitely much higher than if the school was depositing money in a bank and getting the going interest rate. Also 4.1% down is not "pretty bad condition". Not sure what standards you apply. Lets see the next few months.

its interesting how many people are buying stocks because interest rates are so low...its getting more interesting now that yields are creeping higher....it will get really interesting when rates are higher and the money isnt flooding into thailand and thai growth stagnates due to higher rates and less capital....

It will be interesting to see what happens. Yes, the school has other investments, we also invest into our business by building new schools and recently developing apps for mobile devices.

Edited by MacWalen

Also another technical nuance... Is your curriculum approved by the MOE? Given you claim in the OP tha it will be titled the "Walen School of Investing" and what recognised accreditation will your "students" obtain on completion of said course?

It will be interesting to see what happens. Yes, the school has other investments, we also invest into our business by building new schools and recently developing apps for mobile devices.

ok, thats a no then...which means the school has invested its excess cash only in thailand, which doesnt sound too sensible to me....perhaps first rule of investment is dont put all your eggs in one basket...maybe not first, but one of them...

Also another technical nuance... Is your curriculum approved by the MOE? Given you claim in the OP tha it will be titled the "Walen School of Investing" and what recognised accreditation will your "students" obtain on completion of said course?

It is seminar based. The ministry of education does not have such courses in their programs, but we can look into it also. It is new and nobody has ever done it. If it works we might work with MOE to prepare something of that nature, but like I said. If there were problems I would not lose sleep over it. I will talk to MOE and SEC and see if we can come up with something.

ok, thats a no then...which means the school has invested its excess cash only in thailand, which doesnt sound too sensible to me....perhaps first rule of investment is dont put all your eggs in one basket...maybe not first, but one of them...

Paddy, does not worry me at all. I fell happy in Thailand among Thai people and I am not going anywhere. I invest in Thailand and I build my business mainly in Thailand, although I have also offices of Walen in China and the Philippines and I may invest money made there in those markets. But thank you for your advice, for me investing in Thailand is good and I don't see the need to invest money made in Thailand in other markets. The course is also related to the Thai capital markets mainly but principles apply elsewhere also. Things related to brokers, how to open an account, with which broker, how to execute a trade, how to use trading tools provided by brokers will be mainly Thai related.

Walen School - Learn to deal with argumentative idiots on internet forums.

I am getting good at it after several years. I don't think there is a TV member who got more shit from fellow members than me, I might be wrong but I think I top the list. Part of the job, however lots of guys here are sensible and their comments are very valuable and help to look at things from all angles.

Astute investors have a trailing stop loss of 5-10%, so 4.1% is starting to become significant. I use 7.5%, sitting on the fence I suppose, and it's served me well.

Edited by F4UCorsair

McWalen regarding your “ growth” strategy………………………………

Because "its always different this time..."........................giggle.gif

It may be as you say or not. There is certainly going to be a crash from time to time.

Teach about investing is a great idea...using an existing language frenchise that is known to put this under its umbrella and maybe also frenchise it out later, is even a better idea...

Good luck to it!

However usually such courses has some course plan available in advance, topics covered, depth of topics touched, etc.

Morning and afternoon session doesnt tell much about the course.

For some, not to buy a house on your bargirl tilak's name is already advance staff in investing.

You want to go fundamental or technical? 1 day isnt enough for both, etc.

As is, the seminar offers a great biz deal...for the one who holds it, that is.

Trupmeting up say 20 ppl for 3000thb each...that is a easy 60.000thb...not a bad investment at all! :)

McWalen regarding your “ growth” strategy………………………………

Because "its always different this time..."........................giggle.gif

It may be as you say or not. There is certainly going to be a crash from time to time.

But to me it's not so much whether anyone believes a “ crash “ could be imminent or not (it could just plateau ?).

What I find far more intriguing is some people's expectation of what would seem like endless growth ? I just don't see any compelling reasons for things to keep growing, particularly when for example real wage levels around the world are going in the opposite direction?

Post 69

No.

As is, the seminar offers a great biz deal...for the one who holds it, that is.

Trupmeting up say 20 ppl for 3000thb each...that is a easy 60.000thb...not a bad investment at all! smile.png

Seems a lot to you no doubt but it's really peanuts as KittenKong pointed out earlier:

give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

That you think the B60,000 is all profit and are blissfully unaware of the whole notion of cost is a fine illustration of many forum members' business sense, probably inherited from the nanny state.

I'd agree that the clueless living daily here in Thailand on air, a few peanuts, and a half-sucked mango should definitely just keep their pile safely in their bank accounts.

Walen School - Learn to deal with argumentative idiots on internet forums.

I am getting good at it after several years. I don't think there is a TV member who got more shit from fellow members than me, I might be wrong but I think I top the list. Part of the job, however lots of guys here are sensible and their comments are very valuable and help to look at things from all angles.

I took constantinople's commet to be directed at Thai visa members who have responded, not the op.

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

An inevitable but rather ignorant question. Does a person have to devote 24 hrs a day every day to making that fortune? Could he take a day off and do something else?

He could I suppose, but that doesnt seem to be the case here at all. And I see nothing ignorant about the question, except possibly your response to it. I think that my question cuts straight to the crux of the issue.

Well, yes, he certainly could if he so wished although you wouldn't. I gave you an example, William O'Neill, proving the ignorance of your question--an example you carefully omitted. Let me know if you need others--but you're gonna just keep thinking you have a point anyway. smile.png

Needing or wanting to work is not really my idea of being successful. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Problem is, you see, it's just not all about the wonderful you. In a world of infinite diversity, rational people have widely varying ideas of what success means and how to achieve it--ideas which you're unable to comprehend as they aren't your ideas. So now your real point is clear: you wouldn't do it. Sir John Templeton did, but his idea wasn't your idea, quite the opposite in fact. OK. That's important and highly valuable information--your idea--that we'll all keep in mind, thank you. smile.png

I'll tell you all how to invest.

Buy blue chip, only the top 10-12 companies, and of them, only those that pay the best dividends, reinvest the dividends, and watch. You won't get as rich as fast as point one of one percent of traders, but you won't get as poor as fast as 99.9% of traders!! You'll double your money in about 6 - 7 years, and possibly less if you move between companies because they don't all pay dividends on the same date.

That'll be B3000 please. I take PayPal.

Buy blue chip, only the top 10-12 companies, and of them, only those that pay the best dividends, reinvest the dividends, and watch. You won't get as rich as fast as point one of one percent of traders, but you won't get as poor as fast as 99.9% of traders!! You'll double your money in about 6 - 7 years, and possibly less if you move between companies because they don't all pay dividends on the same date.

I have seen plenty of so called blue chip companies go no where in the last 10 years so I wouldnt pay you a dime for that bit of silly advice.

• Like 1

It is amazing the number of posters that think that investing courses are a waste of time and you should do it yourself and they are all in it to rip you off etc etc etc.

What is clear from the posts here is that many posters would really benefit from learning some investments skills and the only way to do that is to do some study on the subject. Now you could do it by yourself but it might be easier to do seminars or courses and get some basic understanding of investing fundamental approaches.

Of course where you source these courses is imiportant so probably best suited to doing courses from appropriately accredited educational insititutions.

• Like 2

I have seen plenty of so called blue chip companies go no where in the last 10 years so I wouldnt pay you a dime for that bit of silly advice.

I said ONLY the top 10-12 that ALSO pay the top dividends. If, occasionally, one of your blue chip investments doesn't do as well as you think it should, the others will be, so you'll still double every 6-7 years.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I said ONLY the top 10-12 that ALSO pay the top dividends.

What is your criteria for establishing what are the top 10 companies? eg cap size, turnover, return on equity, net profit, etc have you considered their debt levels, their moat etc

Are you diversifying across stock types ie industrials , materials, financials etc Are you also considering investing across asset classes to spread your risk? eg property, shares, cash etc

It is amazing the number of posters that think that investing courses are a waste of time and you should do it yourself and they are all in it to rip you off etc etc etc.

What is clear from the posts here is that many posters would really benefit from learning some investments skills and the only way to do that is to do some study on the subject. Now you could do it by yourself but it might be easier to do seminars or courses and get some basic understanding of investing fundamental approaches.

Of course where you source these courses is imiportant so probably best suited to doing courses from appropriately accredited educational insititutions.

McWalen are you proposing to hand out any kind of course outline to prospective students with details of subjects to be covered and a summary of specific objectives? If so can we see it ?