Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

What fine troll bait, this topic!

This seminar doesn't cost a lot and might be a good intro for someone who doesn't know a lot about investing in the Thai markets or even in any market. Doesn't look like MacWalen is selling any products, just relating some methods and techniques, I guess. They don't have to be wildly successful to be informative enough to serve as a springboard for doing your own thing.

MacWalen could give more details. Normally I'd demand that, but if he did, it would simply be to throw out more troll fodder. A few quotations from satisfied students would be helpful.

I don't see any big problem here except that our resident Cheap Charlies think it should be free and others feel they are so stupid as to be conned into some scheme. Seems unlikely MacWalen is a con artist anyway.

Maybe some members who take the seminar can report on it later. Buzz off, trolls!

So folk who question stuff on a chat forum are all trolls in your opinion ?

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This seminar doesn't cost a lot and might be a good intro for someone who doesn't know a lot about investing in the Thai markets or even in any market. Doesn't look like MacWalen is selling any products, just relating some methods and techniques, I guess. They don't have to be wildly successful to be informative enough to serve as a springboard for doing your own thing.

MacWalen could give more details. Normally I'd demand that, but if he did, it would simply be to throw out more troll fodder. A few quotations from satisfied students would be helpful.

I don't see any big problem here except that our resident Cheap Charlies think it should be free and others feel they are so stupid as to be conned into some scheme. Seems unlikely MacWalen is a con artist anyway.

Maybe some members who take the seminar can report on it later. Buzz off, trolls!

You aren't asking any meaningful questions, just posturing to imply you "know" better and sneering it "sounds" like Amway, etc. Hot air, is all.

Doesn't sound like Amway at all to me, but Amway has good products and lots of people have joined and done pretty well. I wouldn't, but so what.

A meaningful, substantive, real question is quite welcome if extremely rare around here. But the OP isn't obligated to answer it anyway, you see. Hard nut, I know. Makes you want to get 'im, don't it.

• Like 1

You aren't asking any meaningful questions, just posturing to imply you "know" better and sneering it "sounds" like Amway, etc. Hot air, is all.

Doesn't sound like Amway at all to me, but Amway has good products and lots of people have joined and done pretty well. I wouldn't, but so what.

A meaningful, substantive, real question is quite welcome if extremely rare around here. But the OP isn't obligated to answer it anyway, you see. Hard nut, I know. Makes you want to get 'im, don't it.

Think you are wrong in your assumption. Perhaps you are taken in with stuff cos it sounds so good. I don't know. As for hard nut on a key board, don't think so, just my point of view.

As for Amway. I know Thai reps who keep trying to sell us stuff. They don't come here any more. Why, they get paid for trips all over Europe as bonuses, I asked how can your company afford these expensive trips. Hmmmmmmmmmm, I said cos perhaps their stuff is well over priced for what it is. Was not being derogatory towards them but why should l pay well over the top for something to give them a free holiday.

yes the OP knows how to make money

take yours smile.png

now he rich and you out of 2.6xx baht

and i tought WP was very strict about what and where you work

I'm a Thai permanent resident now, hopefully in 4 more years Thai citizen, my work permit is really not an issue here. If it ever became an isse I can always ask to add a new job description.

I teach how to make money. Is that not what so many people here want? It is easier to complain about not having money than actually doing something about it.

Edited by MacWalen

Think you are wrong in your assumption. Perhaps you are taken in with stuff cos it sounds so good.

LOL. I love this forum!

As for Amway. I know Thai reps who keep trying to sell us stuff. They don't come here any more. Why, they get paid for trips all over Europe as bonuses, I asked how can your company afford these expensive trips. Hmmmmmmmmmm, I said cos perhaps their stuff is well over priced for what it is. Was not being derogatory towards them but why should l pay well over the top for something to give them a free holiday.

Actually you never met any Amway rep getting trips all over Europe as bonuses. Just more blowin' out yer butt, as a forum blowhard. Only a few at the very top get any big perks--as is true of most any company, and Amway is a big company. Most reps make little.

And you never even tried an Amway product so you don't know a thang about any of 'em. But since when is that a deterrent? :)

A hammer only finds nails. You jes' all hung up on Amway, bro'. Get over it and ride. This here, it jes' ain't got nothin' to do w/ Amway! biggrin.png

You can also make money if the market goes lower. On the Nikkei plunging in the 90s lots of people made fortunes. Stock market will be here till the Kingdom comes and if you know how you will make money. If prices are cheap you go long if prices are too expensive you go short. Also you look at the trends. Also timing is very important.

Is this a market timing course?

Never try to 'time the market'. There is no surer way to blow your hard earned $$. You may win occasionally, even the first time, but your losses will far exceed your gains.

Of course you try to time the market, more or less, you try to get the odds in your favour as much as possible. The guys who want to sell you a managed fund would tell you what you are telling us, they want your money and commission, they do not care you make profit or loss as this is not where they make their money. Their loyalty is towards the bank or fund they work for not towards you. Hard to know exactly where is the bottom or top but you buy when things are on sale, when people are fearful. That is what billionaire investors teach.

I might be wrong so if the need be I will wait longer but I believe the market will go up so I bought. Being patient is part of the game. We need to get used to the market fluctuations. Yesterdays Walen School's portfolio was down 3.8 milion (4.7%) today down 3.3 million (4.1%). It can be down 5-6 million tomorrow. Hard to know but I believe it will not go much lower from here.

post-46756-0-11848900-1377770340_thumb.p

Edited by MacWalen

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

An inevitable but rather ignorant question. Does a person have to devote 24 hrs a day every day to making that fortune? Could he take a day off and do something else?

MacWalen seems to be doing pretty well already. Where's your chain of businesses in Thailand?

William O'Neill was quite rich when he started teaching his methods. He didn't have to do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_O%27Neil

People who already know enough about investing in Thailand know who they are. So, let them stay away. For those who know nothing but are curious, the price of the seminar isn't much. Nor are they obligated afterwards to do anything, are they?

Nor did the OP promise any instant riches.

Still don't see any problem here.

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

An inevitable but rather ignorant question. Does a person have to devote 24 hrs a day every day to making that fortune? Could he take a day off and do something else?

MacWalen seems to be doing pretty well already. Where's your chain of businesses in Thailand?

William O'Neill was quite rich when he started teaching his methods. He didn't have to do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_O%27Neil

People who already know enough about investing in Thailand know who they are. So, let them stay away. For those who know nothing but are curious, the price of the seminar isn't much. Nor are they obligated afterwards to do anything, are they?

Nor did the OP promise any instant riches.

Still don't see any problem here.

Sorry chum but it has been stated by the OP guaranteed success, riches come via sum invested and that has been guaranteed. Me, I really cannot accept any financial guarantee unless in a fixed something.

Here a random selection of well-established practitioner-oriented organizations that help people "investing in Thailand":

You should put me on that list too as you help to promote the Walen School of Investing.

The emphasis was on well-established! Actually I would give you the benefit of the doubt, because anyone has to start somewhere. But with the current CSR approach by the Walen School, I definitely would not recommend you or this course to anyone in the business community. I personally would not like to be associated with a company that fails to implement a minimum employment standard. As you tried to obfuscate the point, let me say it again: It is acceptable for a start-up or (struggling) SME not to pay college graduates on an internship, but it is not OK to charge them for working. If you were to reconsider, this niche course might actually be fine, providing we will ever hear about it's actual content.

Edited by Morakot

After waddling througfh this topic and other of similar light today, I remembered one of the ideas that must have made the promoter a monetary reward as well as a lot of customer/self satisfaction.

The screenig and diversion of incoming spam, adverts, etc to a "JUNK" mail folder..

I find MacWalen intriguing. He's been in Thailand a long time and he's made a success of himself.

I don't know about his investing expertise other than in his own businesses including this one. but I'll tell you something.

If I move to Thailand, one of the first things on my agenda after I get settled will be to meet him. He is full of ideas and he's thrived while many others merely survived or worse, failed. I mean, he is full of ideas about making money and getting what you need in Thailand. Yes it's for a price but he's a businessman.

Mr. MacWalen, I want to meet you. I'm a retired but healthy executive. One thing I learned as an executive was to surround myself with people who are smarter than I am, and they would make me look good. Loser execs have a type A personality and must surround themselves with yes men. They mistakenly believe that being surround by dumber people will make them look good.

I like smart men. I want to buy you that pint.

Have I just wandered on to Thai Love Links by mistake...? blink.png

• Like 2

You can also make money if the market goes lower. On the Nikkei plunging in the 90s lots of people made fortunes. Stock market will be here till the Kingdom comes and if you know how you will make money. If prices are cheap you go long if prices are too expensive you go short. Also you look at the trends. Also timing is very important.

Is this a market timing course?

Never try to 'time the market'. There is no surer way to blow your hard earned $$. You may win occasionally, even the first time, but your losses will far exceed your gains.

Of course you try to time the market, more or less, you try to get the odds in your favour as much as possible. The guys who want to sell you a managed fund would tell you what you are telling us, they want your money and commission, they do not care you make profit or loss as this is not where they make their money. Their loyalty is towards the bank or fund they work for not towards you. Hard to know exactly where is the bottom or top but you buy when things are on sale, when people are fearful. That is what billionaire investors teach.

I might be wrong so if the need be I will wait longer but I believe the market will go up so I bought. Being patient is part of the game. We need to get used to the market fluctuations. Yesterdays Walen School's portfolio was down 3.8 milion (4.7%) today down 3.3 million (4.1%). It can be down 5-6 million tomorrow. Hard to know but I believe it will not go much lower from here.

i just took a look at the attachment. the portfolio looks to be in pretty bad condition. but what really strikes me is that there are too many positions.

Paddy, some are just small positions. On a watch list if you like. It is a mini managed fund of the school. The important thing is the return the school will get. We will see how it develops but I aim at a significant return. Definitely much higher than if the school was depositing money in a bank and getting the going interest rate. Also 4.1% down is not "pretty bad condition". Not sure what standards you apply. Lets see the next few months.

Paddy, some are just small positions. On a watch list if you like. It is a mini managed fund of the school. The important thing is the return the school will get. We will see how it develops but I aim at a significant return. Definitely much higher than if the school was depositing money in a bank and getting the going interest rate. Also 4.1% down is not "pretty bad condition". Not sure what standards you apply. Lets see the next few months.

Is that portfolio hedged?

And if there was another market rout like there was in 2008 would it affect the finances of your main business?

Looks to me like you are making a loss.

Thanks but I already know how to lose money!

I believe the market will go down in the next month, by at least 5%.

If I'm right and you're wrong, will you employ me to give lectures on investing in Thailand?

Is that portfolio hedged?

And if there was another market rout like there was in 2008 would it affect the finances of your main business?

The portfolio is what you see. We do not need this money unless we build new schools that we usually are able to pay for from our current revenue as schools are making continuous profit for for last 12 years. If we started building 10-20 schools at the same time then we would need some of this money but otherwise not. Currently we are woking on two new projects. Hua Hin and Cha Am.

Edited by MacWalen

I think Jsixpack's advice was spot on.

My advice for the average Pattaya expat would be to invest into "Thai Beverage Plc." After he puts his money into this company its up to him if his investment is growing or not.

At least he would have a good excuse to sit in a Bar (or outside 7/11) and make his investment work.

• Like 1

Looks to me like you are making a loss.

Thanks but I already know how to lose money!

I believe the market will go down in the next month, by at least 5%.

If I'm right and you're wrong, will you employ me to give lectures on investing in Thailand?

Entering the market is the tricky bit. There will be significant profit on this portfolio. I am pretty sure of that.

This is a new trade. Even if the shares go lower I am not going to worry about it as it is not how you make money. It takes some time till people come back to their senses. What is happening now is a typical correction. Happens usually once every year, sometimes twice, and every 7 years or so there might be a big one. If it goes further down I will consider buying more as we have cash available. It is true that Septembers are not the best months for stocks and often stocks go lower but it is not always so.

There was no correction in SET in Septembers of 2009, 2010 and 2012, see the attached chart, what we have now in 2013 seems like quite significant correction already but sure it can go lower. But if not then the market can recover 10% in one month. Nobody really knows. There is an element of calculated risk in investing, no doubt about it. Dumb people rarely become rich so self development is a part of doing well in life and learning investing is very helpful in doing well.

post-46756-0-08511000-1377778425_thumb.p

Edited by MacWalen

Litmus Test:

Would Mr Walan's seminar, or indeed school, be allowed to operate in Singapore where there are very strict regulations governing anyone, or any company, giving financial advise to the general public?

The same applies in the UK/Europe of course, but Singapore is part of ASEAN

Sorry chum but it has been stated by the OP guaranteed success,

No.

riches come via sum invested and that has been guaranteed.

No.

Me, I really cannot accept any financial guarantee unless in a fixed something.

And that is very important information indeed. Now we all know that. Impressive financial acumen!

Are you finally done here, since you have no interest in the seminar anyway?

Obviously many Pattaya resident farangs are beneficiaries of trust funds, as they could not possibly have held a low-paying job long enough to earn their own income. True, it is best those funds do remain on fixed deposit and protected moreover via spendthrift clause.

Sorry chum but it has been stated by the OP guaranteed success,

No.

riches come via sum invested and that has been guaranteed.

No.

Me, I really cannot accept any financial guarantee unless in a fixed something.

And that is very important information indeed. Now we all know that. Impressive financial acumen!

Are you finally done here, since you have no interest in the seminar anyway?

Obviously many Pattaya resident farangs are beneficiaries of trust funds, as they could not possibly have held a low-paying job long enough to earn their own income. True, it is best those funds do remain on fixed deposit and protected moreover via spendthrift clause.

Post 69

Highest paid TV how to make it rich in real estate never bought investment properties in their life. Many lost their butts by not knowing from experience what it really takes.

I know what it takes and agree with others. If you know, you not need course....... If you do not know...... I will add...... Be careful as you do not know. Experience both success and failure are the best tools. Typically you not pick these up from s seminar. Wish it was that easy. We would all be rich.

• Like 1

Highest paid TV how to make it rich in real estate never bought investment properties in their life. Many lost their butts by not knowing from experience what it really takes.

I know what it takes and agree with others. If you know, you not need course....... If you do not know...... I will add...... Be careful as you do not know. Experience both success and failure are the best tools. Typically you not pick these up from s seminar. Wish it was that easy. We would all be rich.

clap2.gif ............................thumbsup.gif

Just wondering.

He could I suppose, but that doesnt seem to be the case here at all. And I see nothing ignorant about the question, except possibly your response to it. I think that my question cuts straight to the crux of the issue.

Dear me. Not every farang in Thailand needs to scratch a living teaching, or doing anything else for that matter. I stopped working at 50 after having gone part-time at 40 and thankfully will never have to do any sort of work again for any reason whatsoever. Why? Because I was very competent at what I did and managed to save a lot of money which I have invested well based on my own advice. Needing or wanting to work is not really my idea of being successful. Quite the opposite, in fact.