Preparing for a trip to Thailand

DoroteaMei

A lot of my friends have been talking about traveling in Thailand, so I’m really interested in this country and why it is so popular.

I planned to go to Thailand so it would be great to know first where I should go and what should I prepare.

If you were my guide, what places in Thailand would you recommend me to go? Also, is there anything I should be aware of? Such as, Thais’ local cultures, language, etc. And, what is the most important thing that I have to bring it to Thailand? Do Thais usually speak English?

I know that Thailand is a very beautiful country and Thais are so nice and kind. I just can't wait to go there!

Thank you very much laugh.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different people visit or live in Thailand for different reasons. Can you be a little clearer on why you want to visit Thailand? Sightseeing, the beaches, other? And how long will your trip be?

As far as speaking English, many Thais can speak a little, but most have limited vocabulary and limited conversational ability. Thais in major tourist areas and hotels catering to foreigners will tend to have better English language ability. But with a little patience, necessary communication always seems to get done. Patience, staying calm, and a smile gets you a long way here.

I would suggest that you stay away from Pattaya and Phuket. They both are big tourist centers with a large number of go-go bars and other "girly bars". Both places tend to attract the worst people. The worst Thai people and the worst foreign people.

Avoid traveling long-distance in vans or minibuses. They have a horrible safety record here. Drivers tend to be very reckless. Just about every other week there is a news story of a fatal crash of tourist van or tour bus. Flying is the safest way to travel followed by train. Some bus companies are good, such as NakonchaiAir and, in the north, Green Bus. But they are a little more expensive than the normal Thai buses. I would use the low-fare, long-distance Thai buses only if I had no other choice.

Edited by Baloo22
  • Like 2

Different people visit or live in Thailand for different reasons.  Can you be a little clearer on why you want to visit Thailand?  Sightseeing, the beaches, other?   And how long will your trip be?

Certainly you need some ideas of your own as to what are yor expectations are from this pland trip.

Help useful or "otherwise" is alway on hand here but as Thailand is such a diverse country with many things on offer some idea of what you enjoy and what you dont enjoy would be of great help here.

If you get it right and match what you are looking for you will have the time of your life here. Get it wrong and you will have your worse nightmare come true. So please advise and you just may get some helpfull tips.

As far as speaking English, many Thais can speak a little, but most have limited vocabulary and limited conversational ability.  Thais in major tourist areas and hotels catering to foreigners will tend to have better English language ability.   But with a little patience, necessary communication always seems to get done.  Patience, staying calm, and a smile gets you a long way here.

100% true if you exspect to come here barking english at the top of your voice and exspect thai ppl to respond when this is not the place for you.

I would suggest that you stay away from Pattaya and Phuket.  They both are big tourist centers with a large number of go-go bars and other "girly bars".  Both places tend to attract the worst people.  The worst Thai people and the worst foreign people.

Again so so true and the two places above are not my idea of a good time. However they are great fun places to be if this is what you are looking for and you are very careful in this sort of environment.

Good luck with your trip and if you want information and ideas the please try to exspand on what you are looking for.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't want to get too personal, but would be nice to know your age, gender, where you are from, will you be traveling solo, what's your budget, etc.

I'd highly suggest getting a guide book and read it. Lots of great information there, and "relatively" unbiased.smile.png

• Like 1

You can purchase a Thai/English dictionary at a good bookstore outlet which can help you a lot of the time. If you are on a budget look around for hotels at around one thousand bath. You can get some nice ones at 700 bath. Check the room before you commit yourself. Good luck on your holiday.

• Like 1

You can purchase a Thai/English dictionary at a good bookstore outlet which can help you a lot of the time. If you are on a budget look around for hotels at around one thousand bath. You can get some nice ones at 700 bath. Check the room before you commit yourself. Good luck on your holiday.

Yes, I would check the hotel room before committing to it, check especially that the air condition is working properly. The vast majority of hotels in Thailand are clean and very good value for money, but there is the very odd exception.

Maybe a Thai/English would be more useful as the future tourist doesn't know any Thai probably

Don't want to get too personal, but would be nice to know your age, gender, where you are from, will you be traveling solo, what's your budget, etc.

I'd highly suggest getting a guide book and read it. Lots of great information there, and "relatively" unbiased.xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

It is a female from Sweden. Dorotea is located in Sweden. I find the answers claiming that thai´s speak some english. Yes that is true in the touristareas, they speak extremely little and poor. Outside these regions they do not speak english AT ALL.... Nothing!!!!

So where to send a young femal in order for her NOT to get raped, rubbed or disappointed?????

I do not know actuelly,,, Maybe to where all the other young females ends up ... alongside the salty water of the Siam-bay....

Maybe send her to one of the full moonparties....

I hope she do NOT travel alone because that if anything can be fatal in this country...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Different people visit or live in Thailand for different reasons. Can you be a little clearer on why you want to visit Thailand? Sightseeing, the beaches, other? And how long will your trip be?

As far as speaking English, many Thais can speak a little, but most have limited vocabulary and limited conversational ability. Thais in major tourist areas and hotels catering to foreigners will tend to have better English language ability. But with a little patience, necessary communication always seems to get done. Patience, staying calm, and a smile gets you a long way here.

I would suggest that you stay away from Pattaya and Phuket. They both are big tourist centers with a large number of go-go bars and other "girly bars". Both places tend to attract the worst people. The worst Thai people and the worst foreign people.

Avoid traveling long-distance in vans or minibuses. They have a horrible safety record here. Drivers tend to be very reckless. Just about every other week there is a news story of a fatal crash of tourist van or tour bus. Flying is the safest way to travel followed by train. Some bus companies are good, such as NakonchaiAir and, in the north, Green Bus. But they are a little more expensive than the normal Thai buses. I would use the low-fare, long-distance Thai buses only if I had no other choice.

Patience being the main word

Honestly, you should bring a functioning brain and not leave it at the airport.

Be aware that it's easy to "fall in love" with a bar girl, as they "play being your wife/gf", as you pay them for, plus the bar fine.

( Different to other countries, people still believe the " I love you too much nonsense.")

If you're female, don't walk around almost naked.

Don't believe girls when they're asking for their sick mom, who needs expensive medicine for her, some new buffaloes and more.

Treat people they way you want to be treated. Be aware that you'll meet loads of foreigners, who think they know this country, but they don't.

For a holiday, please look up "Ban Krut", in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. A nice village at the ocean. Avoid places where too many foreigners are.

Don't use rude words when talking to Thais. Even when upset, smile.....don't rent a big bike when you'd never driven one before. Use common sense.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I've been travelling through Thailand for many years now and I've also made many recommendations to many of my friends as to different destinations that you can see for different reasons alldepending on what are are loking to get out of your trip.

Here is some information on the three places that I have just sent to my brother. As the guys previously have asked though the more information that you can provide to us all the more accurate the information biven back would be for your needs. For example what is your budget? What's the duration of your holiday to be? Do you like to move around a lot to take in as many places as you can or like to relax in one or two areas? Are you male/female and are you travelling alone, with a pertner or a group of same sex or mixed sex group?

As for language I have found going to any country it's always good to try and know some of the language of that area even if not a great deal people usually appreciate that you are making an effort in trying to know the basic niceities. Other than that I was always able to get around with limited skills in the Thai language and I have visited some very off the beaten track places.

Hope it helps.

Krabi Beach (Ao Nang) is in southern Thailand and a beach area that is great for relaxing and seeing all the sites of the southern area. It has access to all of the sites that you can get to from Phuket that are good to see but without so many western tourists. Tours or easy places to get to from here James Bond Island (tour with Kayaking), Phi Phi Island (explore yourself or tour) and this is a great place for diving. There are some great cave type dives, a wreck dive as well as access to whale shark and manta ray areas. The beach is nice and there are plenty of places that you can jump on a scooter and escape to without it being heavily populated with farang.
Chiang Mai is one of the best places to see to get a feeling of the northern culture and there are some great places to see up there. Doi Suthep temple, dinners that have traditional dance shows called Khantoke dinner, Chiang Dao mountains, night and weekend markets with some of the best shopping in Thailand, the zoo and a number of other temples and things to see in the city. The Chiang Dao mountains have a number of different tours and places to see including one of the best places to go elephant riding, a cave complex that the Burmese used to hide in when invading Siam to attack Chiang Mai, the Longneck tribes as well as cool river runs and other things depending on the tours you wanted to do and you can do a day trip up to Chiang Rai where they have a white temple
Koh Chang is an island off to the south eastern border of Cambodia that is a great island escape. There are plenty of nice beaches to escape to and also an easy place to find a stretch of beach for yourself on the eastern side of the island. There are also plenty of areas for nice restaurants and party areas as well. Nice places for diving with a wreck dive and many other nice spots. There are also some nice walks in the island to waterfalls and things of that sort. Also from Koh Chang it is very easy to do a run up into Cambodia to see the Angkor Wat temple complex if you have time.

Certainly you need some ideas of your own as to what are yor expectations are from this pland trip.

Help useful or "otherwise" is alway on hand here but as Thailand is such a diverse country with many things on offer some idea of what you enjoy and what you dont enjoy would be of great help here.

If you get it right and match what you are looking for you will have the time of your life here. Get it wrong and you will have your worse nightmare come true. So please advise and you just may get some helpfull tips.

100% true if you exspect to come here barking english at the top of your voice and exspect thai ppl to respond when this is not the place for you.

Again so so true and the two places above are not my idea of a good time. However they are great fun places to be if this is what you are looking for and you are very careful in this sort of environment.

Good luck with your trip and if you want information and ideas the please try to exspand on what you are looking for.

Bit of an assumption there.

The OP may be interseted in sex tourism and simply wants to tread the same path as his/her mongering friends.

I would suggest that as the OP hasn't bothered to come back since 10.30 pm yesterday, with more information, they are either a troll or a Thai setting up the bait for some Thai bashers.

• Like 1

Sounds like a troll post, with the OP waiting for the usual suspects to start ranting about the bad things in Thailand. The OP has never been to Thailand but claims to "KNOW that Thailand is a very beautiful country and Thais are so nice and kind". I wonder how (s)he knows. All this makes me think it's a troll post.

• Like 2

Bit of an assumption there.

The OP may be interseted in sex tourism and simply wants to tread the same path as his/her mongering friends.

I would suggest that as the OP hasn't bothered to come back since 10.30 pm yesterday, with more information, they are either a troll or a Thai setting up the bait for some Thai bashers.

A thai knowing where Dorotea is situated??? hahahahaha.......

Glegolo

what a crazy statement

Until u state ur age and what you enjoy doing, no one, I repeat, NO ONE can make any suggestions on where to go or what you should do

.....maybe read the www.thaivisa.com archives thoroughly to gain some perspective....because once you are here, it is too late....

...otherwise you may wake up drugged or dead...or fly off a balcony..or have to pay a king's ransom over some scam or other...

...you will get smiles and compliments....to lure you in....then your are done for....

Learn from this guy's mistakes: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/662677-been-in-thailand-for-about-3-weeks-now-my-overall-thoughts/. Main thing is don't lock-in plans well in advance, And don't blow $20-k. See below.

2013-08-23 10:23:16

Geezus, $20,000? That's a remarkable expenditure for 30 days, even with the international RT airfare for two. I don't think I could do that if I tried, regardless of GF expectations. Not in Thailand.

Otherwise, I concur on Lanta. Like most of their islands, trashed or near trashed. I visited mainly to try the diving. Spent two hours on the boat getting out beyond the perimeter of pollution, then two hours back. Not exactly optimal use of time on or in the water. Like their other *paradise lost* coastal and island locations, including the much nicer but on the decline Koh Lipe, pretty much all the larger and more interesting fish are gone. But, more to your point, the island itself is indeed dull (my opinion), beaches are crappy, covered with trash, and the water is heavily polluted due to proximity to mainland.

BKK is BKK.

Krabi is okay for a few days (and that's about it). I booked 4-5-stars during the season for $40-50 (Agoda). Nice.

Chiang Mai is good. Driving is relatively easy so you may want to rent your own wheels, tour the surrounding countryside. You might try the Chiang Rai / Mae Sai loop, head over to the Triangle, have lunch along the Mekong. Up and back on different routes. Stopping in Chiang Rai for the night on the way back makes for a leisurely cruise.

Pai is pretty. And pretty dull. Gotta be the visa overstay capital of Thailand, judging by *bohemian* scene, resident / transient farang.

Bottom line on all this is that Thailand is not a country for advance plans. Best to take it a day or two at a time. Get some travel tips in one place, decide where to go next, check Agoda, don't book any place rated less than "fantastic" or "very good", and don't book for more than two days. If you don't like a particular place, an airport and an inexpensive flight is never far away. Book flights for the next day. Prices rarely go up much (relatively speaking), even booking at last minute. Nok, Air Asia and Bangkok Airways pretty much get it done. Thai Airways is generally a needlessly more expensive option. ..

But I guess most of these tips, regardless of accuracy, come a little late. Maybe next trip.

You say :

"I know that Thailand is a very beautiful country and Thais are so nice and kind"

Answer: Your friends are wrong. Thai people are just the same as anywhere else in the world no two people are the same and you cant generalize like that, its just plane stupid.

There are a lot more countries far more beautiful, please dont come here if you are looking for beauty! "Go to Italy for beauty" "Go to Myanmar, Lao or Vietnam for nicer kinder Asian people".

"Do Thais usually speak English?"

Answer: No

"first where I should go and what should I prepare"

Answer: This is impossible to answer as everyone is different, If you are looking for Sex then head to Pattaya, If you want to see traffic and lousy town planning then go to Bangkok. If you want to sit on a beach then don't waste you time or money going to Phuket as it horrible, just go to Baan Amphur near Pattaya its quite sort of almost ok, (but any beach in Cornwall is much nicer)

One piece of advice don't openly trust anyone "but I am sure your mum taught you that"

Have a good trip and lots of luck & hope you find what you are looking for!

This is on Thai Visa today as well: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663910-warning-to-thai-tourism-sector-unfriendly-staff-poor-services-hit-competitiveness/?utm_source=newsletter-20130828-0857&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by newermonkey

Grab the latest issue of Lonely Planet Thailand

I disagree and would say almost all tourist guides will not show the negatives and will promote the country and its people as if they were being paid by someone!

Most people will be very disappointed when believing what they read in a guide book.

Grab the latest issue of Lonely Planet Thailand

I disagree and would say almost all tourist guides will not show the negatives and will promote the country and its people as if they were being paid by someone!

Most people will be very disappointed when believing what they read in a guide book.

A guide book can quickly outline the highlights, transport and accommodation options, as well as chapters devoted to health, weather, safety and money issues....among others. Worth a perusal for sure.

The guide book I'm using for my upcoming trip actually says a few places are not really worth visiting, or if you do visit, only spend a few hours.

I've met a few guide book authors. They really do try to be objective, and work incredibly hard. But yes, a lot of flowery phrases are used! 5555

• Like 2

Whatever you do, don't read my thread laugh.png

I would endorse that. I suggest before you make any decision to visit, read a whole lot more about the country "and not the glossy brochures either)

It has acquired the reputation as being one of the most dangerous destinations on the planet to visit. (and whilst that might sound like an exaggeration it's not far off the mark)

OK, downtown Damascus or Aleppo might both have the edge at the present time.

Caveat Emptor (or at least be forewarned)

Honestly, you should bring a functioning brain and not leave it at the airport.

Be aware that it's easy to "fall in love" with a bar girl, as they "play being your wife/gf", as you pay them for, plus the bar fine.

( Different to other countries, people still believe the " I love you too much nonsense.")

If you're female, don't walk around almost naked.

Don't believe girls when they're asking for their sick mom, who needs expensive medicine for her, some new buffaloes and more.

Treat people they way you want to be treated. Be aware that you'll meet loads of foreigners, who think they know this country, but they don't.

For a holiday, please look up "Ban Krut", in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. A nice village at the ocean. Avoid places where too many foreigners are.

Don't use rude words when talking to Thais. Even when upset, smile.....don't rent a big bike when you'd never driven one before. Use common sense.-wai2.gif

"Honestly, you should bring a functioning brain and not leave it at the airport.

Be aware that it's easy to "fall in love" with a bar girl ..."

..."don't rent a big bike ..."

It is a female from Sweden. Dorotea is located in Sweden.

Good advice about the functioning brain. Could apply to those handing out advice as well.

Whatever you do, don't read my thread Posted Image

It has acquired the reputation as being one of the most dangerous destinations on the planet to visit. (and whilst that might sound like an exaggeration it's not far off the mark)

OK, downtown Damascus or Aleppo might both have the edge at the present time.

Caveat Emptor (or at least be forewarned)

What??!!! Which part of Thailand have you been? Please show proof from a reliable source to support your statement.

I am sorry to IMO give to this thread , but maybe the OP should read the thread from Neo6 be it all that amusing ( somewhat ) maybe get a good insight from other people's thoughts , where to go , what to do , yes such a broad base of posters from all different backgrounds and demographics .