Jomtien Beach frightens tourists!

webfact

Aloha

Storm drains (lack of upkeep), Tour, fishing boats, (Dumping waste before docking), Many beach-goers leaving litter behind, (Imposing fines), (More dumpsters), (Imposing fines)

It is an endless movie of trash, plastic, bottle caps, toxic cigarette butts, disposable lighters, diapers, just to mention a few, If these litter bugs, don't have to pay a fine, the brain

does not engage...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be honest: Jomtien beach is a dump and akin to a pig stye.

Typical knee jerk response. Maybe you might want to look at the picture again. Didn't look like a dump to me.Why don't you be like the other posters who claim all Thailand beaches are a dump. They travel around until they can find one that is really bad and then post it like it was a typical Thai beach.

• Like 1

Typical knee jerk response. Maybe you might want to look at the picture again. Didn't look like a dump to me.Why don't you be like the other posters who claim all Thailand beaches are a dump. They travel around until they can find one that is really bad and then post it like it was a typical Thai beach.

Will you sell me condo pls?

• Like 1

It could be from the cassava plant factory nearby which dumped their waste into the ocean. This has made the water in the Dor Sha Da Hotel area to be contaminated. If there are any toxic chemicals in the ocean that have been released by these factories than further investigations and procedures will be held to clear this matter.

That's reassuring.

So, if they find any toxic chemicals, then they'll "investigate" further.

But if it's just ordinary sewage, cr*p, factory effluent, etc, that's contaminating the ocean water and washing up on the beach, then everything is hunky dory....

Gotta love this place!

• Like 1

Why in this thread anyone said: "hey, if you don't like, it's time to go back your country!"

Must we to accept this country as it is or not? saai.gif

Well u might as well, viz coz no one gives a s**t. In a way, what they really mean is, if you think you want to go somewhere better, now is as good time as any.

Wow, it is amazing to read all the negative comments from chemicals to sewerage.

If anyone is really interested in the truth, it is actually plankton that washes up regularly this time of year.

The department of fisheries has taken tests from the water and are investigating. Please, all the knockers give it a break. The guys from fisheries actually do their job and do it the best they can.

Anyway, there is the truth and accept it if you like.

We won't ask why the sea may have just produced such huge amounts of algae, or where the nutrients came from to produce it then.

I dont worry , the TAT will come up with some good reason ..dont frighten the billions tourists expected in the next 4 years ... I havent swim in this area for years (except in hotel pools) 20 years ago I had severe rashes after swimming on jomtien beach ... I gave up swimming in this area as the quality of water always have been bad..

Good idea to use hotel swimming pools - it lessens the chance of being chopped to pieces by those dam_n speedboat propellers at Jontiem. Two in two years or is it more? But it's still an OK beach for just relaxing under the beach umbrellas - plenty of food & drink available close by and there's more sand than at Pattaya Beach.

Have had a villa with a swimming pool in Jomtien for 6 years, and we never go swimming on the beach. One simple test for pollution is to see if there is any aquatic life along the waterline. In Jomtien, you will see no aquatic life at all. Case closed.

Thailand needs to seriously rethink attutudes towards her environment. The current mentality reeks of short term greed and a complete absence of any social responsibility, with sadly predictable results, which are very visible..

• Like 2

I've been going to Bangsaray(10-15kms south) for 13 years and all manor of refuse washs up on the shore. I kayak there but never swim as it doesn't really look inviting. I occasionally get rashes up my legs from walking knee deep along the shore.

What would the Pattaya region be without the filth anyhow?

Cleaner??? whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Ok that does it, that is the last time I go swimming in Jomtien beach. I have kept a stiff upper lip as I battled

through the floating trash and plastic bags, but toxins in the water is the last straw.......

I did go swimming in Bang Saray beach a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that there was an oil sheen

in the water, and a slight amount of black oil was washing up on the beach. Not sure if it was from the oil

spill, or bilge discharge from the large amount of fishing vessels anchored off shore. Needless to say

I did not go in the water....So where is a clean place to go swimming ??

Alaska?

Nope. Exxon Valdez.

post-145917-0-84607000-1377709745_thumb.

post-145917-0-91908100-1377709844_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

Ok that does it, that is the last time I go swimming in Jomtien beach. I have kept a stiff upper lip as I battled

through the floating trash and plastic bags, but toxins in the water is the last straw.......

I did go swimming in Bang Saray beach a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that there was an oil sheen

in the water, and a slight amount of black oil was washing up on the beach. Not sure if it was from the oil

spill, or bilge discharge from the large amount of fishing vessels anchored off shore. Needless to say

in the hotel swimming pool if its 5* even then you cant be sure

I live in Bang Saray and swim there practically every day...never had a problem. However I haven't been there for the past 3 weeks as I have a friend staying with me from Europe for a month. So I decided to take her to what I consider to be the best beach nearest to us for beauty and cleanliness...CRYSTAL CLEAR WATERS ...AND BEAUTIFUL SURROUNDINGS.....that is U-Tapow Beach. It costs a mere 20 Baht to enter and if you do go make sure you drive inside passing the first beach until you come to a wooded area and you will see the second beach (when you drive in initially drive around the parking area by keeping to your left as if heading to the row of small vendors, carry on as if coming out again but turn left and drive or walk along the inner road). Saturdays and Sundays are very crowded days as many people come from BKK and enjoy having their pick nicks there. I myself prefer the other 5 days...it is almost like a private beach and very good for the "soul".

The other beach near Bang Saray I sometimes go to is the one in the Navy School (turn right at the next set of lights after the ones at the Ban Saray intersection on Sukhumvit road). It costs 80 Baht for a Farang (30 Baht for a Thai citizen) to use that beach, ...again...it is not the first beach you come to, but the one up over the small mountain. On weekdays you can drive up to it with your own transport. Saturdays and Sundays you are supplied with a free Taxi (included in the 80 Baht entrance fee).

This beach as far as I am concerned is not a patch on U-Tapow and very much smaller...but about 25 Kilometers nearer for Pattaya or Jomtien residents.

Here's a couple of U-Tapow pics.

post-121763-0-64962500-1377724443_thumb.

post-121763-0-88137200-1377724486_thumb.

• Like 2

Wow, it is amazing to read all the negative comments from chemicals to sewerage.

If anyone is really interested in the truth, it is actually plankton that washes up regularly this time of year.

The department of fisheries has taken tests from the water and are investigating. Please, all the knockers give it a break. The guys from fisheries actually do their job and do it the best they can.

Anyway, there is the truth and accept it if you like.

Good info! If anyone would know, I'd be you. You are located right next to this. I'll take a walk down today and have a peek.

FYI: This is not really Jomtien proper. It's down past the Ambassador and is actually NaJomtien. Right on the border of Ban Amphur as you head towards Bang Saray.

Watched a prog. yesterday on RT.......... There are two islands of "Trash" in two of the worlds major oceans, put together they would be the size of Texas state....along with other smaller islands of trash scattered around the world. They are so big it is impossible to do anything with them and like icebergs...the main portion of these islands lie beneth the water.

"Put that in your pipe and smoke it".......................as they say.

• Like 1

Who goes to Jomtien for the swimming? Haven't been there for years, since I chased a woman and young children from 'pimping'... If beach is what you want, try Bang Saen.

Bang Saen is hardly clean either. Went there a couple of years ago with the family and the wife later had to later edit the litter out of our photos.

On top of that the local council has decided in its wisdom to chop down a lot of the lovely trees that lined Jomtien Beach. Don't they realize trees help save the environment and produce O2. I would love to know there reasoning; other than the fact the Mayor is probably making a pocketful of under the table money from the contractors

If they follow the same logic as I have seen in the Philippines, trees provide free shade from the sun. Umbrellas/Hut vendors cannot sell shade. Trees must go....Nice, eh?

Suggest Palm Beach Hotel swimming pool. near the police station-Dong Tang.

No need to worry (I have been living in Jomtien for 7 years and never ever went swimming, btw). Now we are chums with Tajikistan, the shared expertise in 'water management and environmental protection" should be able to make everything hunky dorry. Does anyone speak their language, I wonder. I assume based on track record here that the expertise will come from the Tajiks. Lots of beach clean up experience their, I would hope.

Will you sell me condo pls?

I bet you are the kind who would buy it.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/apr/08/water.wildlife

The Thames in London was so bad in past that if you fell in there was a decent chance that you would be poisoned before you drown.

What we are doing to our seas is unforgivable. I love my sea food & it was always considered a healthy option but we may have to re-think that.

That amount of plastics in the seas is now beyond a measure & it doesn't break down in a biodigradable manner.

It just gets small enough for the fish etc to take into there systems.

There's enough data now to show plastics are now being absorbed by the sea creatures but it's not visible to the naked eye if you open a fish & examine one.

Very frightening indeed.

These days, with all that's happened and is happening, I won't knowingly eat Thai seafood at all...

And more broadly, I've cut back a lot on the amount of seafood I eat generally, mainly because I don't always know where it's coming from and have doubts over the ability to know it's reasonable safe, and not filled with all variety of cr*p... mercury, etc etc.

Jimminey Cricket! I was heading there for my birthday monday. I guess I will just forget about the whole area from Pattaya to Rayong. Now I am looking at Hua Hin, instead. I only have two nights. I don't want colon cancer and brain hemorages from containimation

Hia Hin beach is beautiful. i swim there most days

• Like 1

I live in Bang Saray and swim there practically every day...never had a problem. However I haven't been there for the past 3 weeks as I have a friend staying with me from Europe for a month. So I decided to take her to what I consider to be the best beach nearest to us for beauty and cleanliness...CRYSTAL CLEAR WATERS ...AND BEAUTIFUL SURROUNDINGS.....that is U-Tapow Beach. It costs a mere 20 Baht to enter and if you do go make sure you drive inside passing the first beach until you come to a wooded area and you will see the second beach (when you drive in initially drive around the parking area by keeping to your left as if heading to the row of small vendors, carry on as if coming out again but turn left and drive or walk along the inner road). Saturdays and Sundays are very crowded days as many people come from BKK and enjoy having their pick nicks there. I myself prefer the other 5 days...it is almost like a private beach and very good for the "soul".

The other beach near Bang Saray I sometimes go to is the one in the Navy School (turn right at the next set of lights after the ones at the Ban Saray intersection on Sukhumvit road). It costs 80 Baht for a Farang (30 Baht for a Thai citizen) to use that beach, ...again...it is not the first beach you come to, but the one up over the small mountain. On weekdays you can drive up to it with your own transport. Saturdays and Sundays you are supplied with a free Taxi (included in the 80 Baht entrance fee).

This beach as far as I am concerned is not a patch on U-Tapow and very much smaller...but about 25 Kilometers nearer for Pattaya or Jomtien residents.

Why would you give away the location of such a nice local beach that has been kept relatively unspoiled. Don't come crying if that beach gets over populated in the future.

Why would you give away the location of such a nice local beach that has been kept relatively unspoiled. Don't come crying if that beach gets over populated in the future.

Like most beaches around here, it's packed on the weekends. But pretty good week days. Definitely not a secret. Tour groups discovered it some time ago. Unfortunately.

Like most beaches around here, it's packed on the weekends. But pretty good week days. Definitely not a secret. Tour groups discovered it some time ago. Unfortunately.

I share with others anything good I discover so that they may enjoy it too....I try not to be selfish in my ways.

I seldom, if ever, cry about anything.... especially since the day I realized that every day we wake up is a very special day indeed.

• Like 1