Two Chinese tourists die in Pattaya speedboat accident

webfact

Two Chinese tourists die in Thailand speedboat accident

BANGKOK, August 28, 2013 (AFP) - Two Chinese men died and three other tourists were injured Wednesday when their speedboat struck an anchored vessel near the central Thai resort of Pattaya, police said.

The engine of the speedboat carrying ten Chinese tourists hit the anchor rope of the other vessel, killing the two men at the scene, said Arun Prompan commander of tourist police for Chon Buri province.

The accident revived fears over tourist safety in Thailand, which attracted a record 22 million foreign visitors last year.

An American tourist was allegedly stabbed to death in Krabi by three Thai musicians in July after a row during a singalong with a band in a bar.

Earlier in July an American man was slashed to death by a taxi driver in Bangkok after an apparent argument over the fare.

Meanwhile China has voiced concern at recent accidents befalling its nationals on snorkelling trips.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand said Chinese tourist arrivals rose by nearly a quarter in the first seven months of this year to 2.7 million.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-08-28

Hmmmm.....Is it my imagination , or after each one of these boat accidents that kill people there is Pattaya government talk

of a big safety crack down that never happens ?? Am curious to see how China reacts as more and more of its

citizens get killed here....

• Like 1

A little bit hypocritical of China voicing concerns about a few of their citizens outside of China when inside their country hundreds die in mining or other accidents that could probably have been avoided.

The words you are looking for are: Lip Service.

Thanks, but I like my own words .... smile.png

"Meanwhile China has voiced concern at recent accidents befalling its nationals on snorkelling trips."

Ah. And that would be the same China where they sell dodgy baby formula, drive over toddlers, ignore toddlers that have been driven over, and have several of the world's most polluted cities .... the list goes on a long, long time and I haven't even mentioned the human rights abuses.

China and its government are the archetypal heap of sh*t.

When it comes to ethics in business and government, it seems that Thailand has already learned a great deal from China: and now the Thai govt is learning a good deal from China about control of public opinion. The Arab Spring could well become the Asian summer and Thailand could be the Tunisia

At least China is voicing its concern. Well done.

The US Embassy Industry is all about acquiring a military base, "partnering" in the War on Drugs Industry and "partnering" in The War on Terrorism Industry. US citizens needing assistance need to keep calling- to see if they can find some one who cares.

WHAT was the last part of your rant?

• Like 1

I really don't understand how they can have accident with an anchored boat...It is common sense to slow down when you arrive near a port or a beach. I could understand if the accident took place with another speed boat involved with a really bad weather....but this...It makes me feel like the driver was drunk and took drugs and was not even looking where he was going.

And it always happens in Pattaya ! What is wrong with them ?

• Like 2

"Meanwhile China has voiced concern at recent accidents befalling its nationals on snorkelling trips."

Ah. And that would be the same China where they sell dodgy baby formula, drive over toddlers, ignore toddlers that have been driven over, and have several of the world's most polluted cities .... the list goes on a long, long time and I haven't even mentioned the human rights abuses.

you forgot to mention those poor north koreans who are sent back to almost certain death,if there caught escaping....there the ones i feel real sympathy for....wink.png

• Like 1

A little bit hypocritical of China voicing concerns about a few of their citizens outside of China when inside their country hundreds die in mining or other accidents that could probably have been avoided.

Yes, but you are missing the point, the first of which to be pedantic is that, all accidents can be avoided. The second of which, these people don't pay good money to visit to be murdered or to be charitable die because of the actions of some idiot.

• Like 1

Wasn't it just last month in Pattaya that another one of those speed boats crashed into an anchored boat? I don't think anyone was killed, but it wasn't for lack of effort! Nice crackdown, btw

Not to mention the little boy who went out for a stroll and had both his eyes gouged out by someone. He was found by his parents sans eyeballs. It's reported today on BBC website.

The Chinese govt are at liberty to treat their own citizens as they wish. For others it's an entirely different matter.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My apartment over looks Pattaya Bay, so when I sit on my balcony and look out at the water, part of my "entertainment" is watching the speed boats zoom the tourists to the islands or parachute gliding for the day. Amazing how many close calls there are... It seems the drivers do not understand how to slow down or how to "respect" other boats or even swimmers. When no one in this culture is held accountable or not educated/ trained about boat safety, these sad stories will continue. Remember the Koreans a few months ago that died in another boat accident in Pattaya???

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

Lets not focus too heavily on what China's reaction is said to have been.

These poor tourists have lost their lives. This is happening too often and something needs to be done to improve safety.

At least articles like this go some way to bringing it to the public's attention.

This has been going on for years and years. How do you figure these one day headlines will help? You can't educate 22,000,000 people about the dangers of Thailand.

You did say some way and I agree but not enough to help.