Legal Adult Age In Thailand

VanZam

Well after having read all this I thought I would seek some Thai directives from a Lt Col BIB that lives up the soi.

It would appear that twenty is the magical age for most things. Up to twenty, parental consent is required for just about everything.

You can vote at 18 and be in a licenced establishment, but you are not supposed to drink legally till you are twenty :o You can purchase cigarettes at eighteen, but not supposed to smoke them unless your parents agree.

The legal age for driving is eighteen, and when asked why all the school kids of fifteen go to school on bikes, he replied that it was only dangerous when caught. (read tea money)

Sex with a female under twenty, consentual or otherwise, is another story, and far too complex to go into on this forum.

Perhaps somebody can provide a decent government link, alternatively come up with a definitive list.

I don't doubt that this is correct, but every club, disco etc where they check Id's for age will not allow admission to anyone under 20.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the age rules for clubs apply to foreigners? My daughter was 18, a couple of years ago, and we weren't sure if anyone would check her passport and not allow entry when going to night clubs.

Well after having read all this I thought I would seek some Thai directives from a Lt Col BIB that lives up the soi.

It would appear that twenty is the magical age for most things. Up to twenty, parental consent is required for just about everything.

You can vote at 18 and be in a licenced establishment, but you are not supposed to drink legally till you are twenty :o You can purchase cigarettes at eighteen, but not supposed to smoke them unless your parents agree.

The legal age for driving is eighteen, and when asked why all the school kids of fifteen go to school on bikes, he replied that it was only dangerous when caught. (read tea money)

Sex with a female under twenty, consentual or otherwise, is another story, and far too complex to go into on this forum.

Perhaps somebody can provide a decent government link, alternatively come up with a definitive list.

I don't doubt that this is correct, but every club, disco etc where they check Id's for age will not allow admission to anyone under 20.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the age rules for clubs apply to foreigners? My daughter was 18, a couple of years ago, and we weren't sure if anyone would check her passport and not allow entry when going to night clubs.

The 20 year law applying to entering "licenced establishments of entertainment" also apply to foreigners.

I would like to know where the esteemed Lt Col. obtained his information regarding drinking alcohol, as I am unable to find reference in any of my legal papers to an age of 20 years. The only law on Statute appears to be 18 years for purchase.Although he is correct with regard to the law (little known or observed by most thais) regarding driving a motor vehicle (except motorbikes under 90cc where you can be 15 years).

Thanks for all the info people..

I have been to see a lawyer today with the girl... the magic age is 20.

It seems that if she did go then her bf could be arrested even in japan and charged with kidnapping.. i dont think she will be going anywhere fast.

18 for buying alcohol at a 7-11 etc

20 for drining in a club

15 for sex (both male and female)

The 20 year law applying to entering "licenced establishments of entertainment" also apply to foreigners.

I would like to know where the esteemed Lt Col. obtained his information regarding drinking alcohol, as I am unable to find reference in any of my legal papers to an age of 20 years. The only law on Statute appears to be 18 years for purchase.Although he is correct with regard to the law (little known or observed by most thais) regarding driving a motor vehicle (except motorbikes under 90cc where you can be 15 years).

Just had another word with him, and I'm sure he thinks I'm planning on opening a pub/club.

He still insists that the legal age for consumption of alcohol is twenty, and that eighteen entitles you to work in a licenced establishment, but not drink. I then asked about "lady drinks" he replied that soft drinks were fine, but if found consuming alcohol, both them, and the establishment could be liable for a heavy fine. I then asked about the typical 19 year old "go-go" dancer sitting on the lap of a 19 year old tourist. He said that as such it was illegal, but unless there was any trouble or a police raid, a blind eye was turned.

As I'm over twenty, I don't have a problem :o but it would be nice to know the letter of the law.....

Definitely 20 for owning property and the like.

Not 20 for owning, for having control over property.

Maejo Man. It seems the Pattaya police are not up to date with the Lt Col's opinion, as on tv yesterday "naughty pub" raided and a large number arrested for drinking under 18, released to parents on caution. 3 did not have Id's fined 200 baht.

I never argue with the police, just find a lot see the law as somewhat of an inconvenience :o

Thanks for all the info people..

I have been to see a lawyer today with the girl... the magic age is 20.

It seems that if she did go then her bf could be arrested even in japan and charged with kidnapping.. i dont think she will be going anywhere fast.

18 for buying alcohol at a 7-11 etc

20 for drining in a club

15 for sex (both male and female)

Whilst I agree with your lawyer on the rest, he seems to be a bit out of date with regard to "kidnapping". The thai Government has acceeded to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which gives the definition as "under 18 years". All legislation since 1998 has followed this. The Courts now define the "age of majority" 18 unless contradictory to historic Statute (such as in Passports). The Government has promised the UN to update historic legislation, but TiT.

Interpol has determined that "Child kidnapping" is below 18 years.

His advice should have been "you can't get a legal passport so forget it", but then many lawyers like to "juice it up a bit". :o

Maejo Man. It seems the Pattaya police are not up to date with the Lt Col's opinion, as on tv yesterday "naughty pub" raided and a large number arrested for drinking under 18, released to parents on caution. 3 did not have Id's fined 200 baht.

I think, Dragonman that it all boils down to "payola" I'm up north, where raids happen once in a blue moon, and everything seems to flow along nicely.

However, I'm still none the wiser :o