Western food and drink places in Ubon

ChrisB87

Hey guys,

Heading up to Ubon soon and would like to check out a couple of bars/pubs, cafes, restaurants.

I know there's not too much, which is fine. I have been to Ubon several times, but never explored the city or the expat hangouts. I have heard of the wrong way cafe, but that's it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Location of Saloon Coffee and bar please Silomsalai?

There's also nJoy Bar out along Phalochai Road* (almost as far as you can go west on that road, past the City Tohsang Hotel and past Ubon's prison). Can be very dozy out there but the bar itself has a certain charm lacking in the rather boring Wrong Way (ambience-only comment), and the falang food is better.

Outside Inn's Tex-Mex and its welcoming youngish American host gets a thumbs up from me too. Relaxing atmosphere.

Don't miss having coffee in the jungle garden coffee bar in Warin Chamrap - nothing like it in Thailand for ambience. I'd have to post a Google earth map to describe where it is.

There's a good Vietnamese vegetarian restaurant on the South side, western end of Pitchitrangsan, 100 metres short of Chawalanok Road. Many many more good Thai and chinese restaurants - don't stick to falang

*Ubon Hash House Harriers will probably be doing a run/walk from there on Saturday 7th September at 4pm. You would be very welcome to join if you are around - watch out for the Ubon Hash posting on the Isaan Forum or PM me

• Like 2

Great info guys! Thanks a lot.

My dad is staying in the Outside Inn so we will definitely try that (we leave today) and hopefully at least one other place mentioned. I am planning on moving to Ubon next year-ish so i will definitely try all at some point!

Thanks a lot!biggrin.png

Yep ill just say what the others have said.

Wrong way cafe - only had their burgers, they okay

Spago - italian, i had their lasange and it was REALLY nice

TheOutsideInn - my favorite, they just launched a burger and i will put money it is the best in Ubon. The mexican food is also really good.

Peppers - Nice atomsphere, cool owner, good food

TC - havn't been but apparntly good english pub food (pies etc)

Njoy bar - Sunday roasts are incredible!

For a bit of thai flavour-

Sey Maar (spelling?) , Happyland, Tank 71 are all nice for a few beers and some pool.

U-bar, rock, country club, tawan deng if you want the club atmosphere

All i can think of now.

Edited by arf
  • Like 2

There are also several choices at Central Plaza on the 3rd floor. Sizzler and etc.

Many Sushi restaurants there. All you can eat in 90 minutes for 340 baht/person. A sort of fancy, but worth to go there.

Not really western, but soooo delicious that you'll easily forget fatty fish and chips You can buy various decent bread there as well.Please check TGM ( Thai German meat) at Tesco and Big-C.

Unbelievable good ham, salami, etc, cheese, including Camembert, Gouda etc..hmmm.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Whaaaat? Mexican food? Will be visiting asap. http://www.theoutsideinnubon.com/

Where is it ?........thumbsup.gif

On the far East side of Suriat rd, which is north of Sappasit rd. Going towards Huai Wang Nong Lake (dam), it's on the right hand side...........biggrin.png

Blimey, few yards from me. thumbsup.gif

When will you open your Doner Kebab shop with view on the lake?

I know its not Western but the night market also has a good selection of Genuine Vietnamese food by Vietnam expats.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just wanted to remind you that the word "Western" or western world had caused a serious misunderstanding between a poster's issue and then the readers' responses in " teaching forum" of this honorable website.

No such thing............-wai2.gif

Great responses guys! Thanks a million!biggrin.png

The burger in The Outside Inn is probably the best i have had anywhere in Asia. The Mexican food is great too and the Thai food very nice.

Unrelated to food, i know, but their beds have got to be the most comfortable in Ubon thumbsup.gif (really thick expensive-looking mattresses)

Definitely a great place to stay as a visitor, or eat as an expat! (Or even stay as an expat, as some nice guys i met were - they do a good monthly rate!)

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

The best place in Ubon for Westerners is definitely " Peppers." Delicious European food, Mexican food, Italian food, stuff that you won't find anywhere else in Ubon.

And they serve a delicious breakfast with homemade bread and bread rolls all day long.

Please don't tell me anything about the "pies" at some places. And the fish and chips, which seems to be the British national dish, doesn't matter how fatty it is.

Peppers even have a bakery, delicious cake and the service is more than good..They come to your table and ask you if the food's okay.

If I want a pizza, I'll of course go to Spago, as it's a real Italian restaurant with yummy food.

There're quite a few places, I don't want to name now, who make all in the same fat. So a hamburger could taste like fish, or fish like a hamburger.

The best place in Ubon for Westerners is definitely " Peppers." Delicious European food, Mexican food, Italian food, stuff that you won't find anywhere else in Ubon.

And they serve a delicious breakfast with homemade bread and bread rolls all day long.

Please don't tell me anything about the "pies" at some places. And the fish and chips, which seems to be the British national dish, doesn't matter how fatty it is.

Peppers even have a bakery, delicious cake and the service is more than good..They come to your table and ask you if the food's okay.

If I want a pizza, I'll of course go to Spago, as it's a real Italian restaurant with yummy food.

There're quite a few places, I don't want to name now, who make all in the same fat. So a hamburger could taste like fish, or fish like a hamburger.

Huh? Fish n' Chips fatty? Not sure of your restaurant reviewing creds here LIItongue.png

• Like 1

Huh? Fish n' Chips fatty? Not sure of your restaurant reviewing creds here LIItongue.png

Also the most common meal in UK is Indian curry & rice not fish&chips.

Glad to hear Peppers is still good following the recent change of owners.

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1