What do you miss most about home?

sunny and hot

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My weekly foot massage my gym over looking the beach front my maid and all the fresh delicious Thai food. Been away 12 months and these are the things that I crave most.

Your now fed up with Bigmacs and never were a real ale drinker.................laugh.png

Going out for a relaxing drive, Friday nights at the pub with a few mates, a long walk in the New Forest, fast internet, BBC, snow, big choice of cars and motorcycles and doner kebabs.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Been to the chippy rather a few too many times now. Chinese takeaway the other night , still more to come and must have some Indians.

So many sausage rolls, scotch eggs, samosas, shop sandwiches ( you know better when you can buy them), decent bread, salads and food that doesn't look rubbish. At Paddington the other week went in for a sandwich and came out with £15 worth of snacks.

+10000000000000000000000000

Went into Tescos back home for " a few bits and pieces" and came out having done nearly 100 quid with no alcohol. The biggest dilemma I faced was going out for a takeaway - chippy or Indian.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

My weekly foot massage my gym over looking the beach front my maid and all the fresh delicious Thai food. Been away 12 months and these are the things that I crave most.

Your now fed up with Bigmacs and never were a real ale drinker.................laugh.png

. Gained 30kg in 12mo sad.png

I managed that in Thailand ! sad.png

At the moment not much if we're not including family and food (though seems near everyone has mentioned food anyway).

If I crave Western food I can find it here usually anyway even if it's often sub par.

The traffic and amount of people / noise in BKK can annoy me at times so I guess you could say I miss the lack of it back home but not that bothered by it.

being equal.

my 11 yrs old realise more and more that how the great thailand treat foreigners, double pricing, etc. and he gets upset over it. that warms my heart, that maybe due time there is a hope.

Oh,how I wish you were right.

Frankly, I doubt it and fear he will be sucked into the general acceptance of corruption and whatever the Thais judge right and wrong to be.

About the only thing I really miss about Australia is some of the natural environment. There are some really great beaches in Aus, a lot that put Thai beaches to shame...and they actually have waves..big ones! As far as everything else, especially the culture..or perhaps lack thereof, i dont miss it at all. I moved there from England with my old folks when I was but 11. My experience of Aussie culture is that it was scarily similar to that abomination called 'neighbours' that is/was so popular on British tv....endless banal suburbs full of 1970's architecture, footy on Saturdays, trips down to the local corporate hardware store called something like 'Tools R us', women that like to act like men even though they despise men, crass current affairs shows that drone on about 'boat people' and 'dole bludgers', an anti intellectual vibe that means that being a bit dumb and not too sophisticaed keeps you 'in' with yer mates, an attitude of entitlement in regards to getting government benefits, too much emphasis on sport and not enough on the arts or anything slightly left of centre, sheep, a nanny state that treats people like kids in trying to prevent them from ever hurting themselves, everything being overpriced including rent/electricity and a decent take out meal....and a bloke called Tony Abbot

Nah, on second thoughts there are plenty of other nice beaches in the world.

• Like 2

Back home right now.

Cycling down quiet country roads, no stray dogs to worry about.

Lunch, sitting under a tree in the garden, no mozzies.

Home grown vegitibles, tomatoes straight off the plant, patatoes from garden to plate in 20 minutes, apples - pick what you want off the tree, mum's home made jam (blackberry & apple, damson & ginger).

Real ale down the pub enjoyed with friends with providence.

Gliding in clear skies over open countryside with 50 mile visibility.

50 mile visibility!!!

Fish & Chips - Haddock fried in beef dripping in a coal fired frier.

Ordering on line ( and it turns up in 2 days exactly as decribed)

Paying bills on line

More real ale from yet another fine brewery.

Real political debate in which ideas and points of view are respected.

Fine wines at reasonable prices.

Cheeses to die for.

The joy of an inalianable right to belong here.

thumbsup.gif , that's got me thinking. smile.png

• Like 1

Without question, the nature. That, and skiing. Thailand doesn't have any Rocky Mountains.

When I tell Thais there's no mountains in the country, they get all perplexed and point out the "mountains" in Chiang Mai. Compared to Canadian standard, those are tiny foothills, not mountains.

Also, food of course, but thats off limits.

I miss going to sports bars and watching (american) football, boxing, UFC with my friends.

I also miss the predictable traffic.

I miss using English.

Flyfishing

Sausages to die for

Ruinart Blanc de Blancs

Links golf

Hiking in the Lake District

Being able to own a performance car without overpaying by 500%

Proms

Without question, the nature. That, and skiing. Thailand doesn't have any Rocky Mountains.

When I tell Thais there's no mountains in the country, they get all perplexed and point out the "mountains" in Chiang Mai. Compared to Canadian standard, those are tiny foothills, not mountains.

Clean air to enjoy it in. Good roads to get there. Sane drivers.

ce.jpg

Country pub food, a village green cricket match played in front of that pub, the long summer evenings, early morning birdsong, real ale and the almost wondrous experience of being able to communicate in English without first thinking how to simplify what you want to say. Now that's a luxury.

Wouldn't be too keen on the winter months, though.

• Like 2

What kind of psychological problems do people have who when asked what they miss about home tell you about what they have at home instead of what they miss. The question was what do you miss about home when you are in Thailand. It is supposed to highlight the good things about other countries, any other country except Thailand. But if you are home you can't miss anything about it because you are there. Gosh you must dislike Thailand a lot. Cause you are home not missing anything. Right? To answer the question from England one should go get a Thai person and ask them what they miss about Thailand! If you are at home this question is not for you!!! Or is the OP so anti Thai that we should add if you are at home not missing anything what do you think you would miss if you were in Thailand. Kind of like if wishes were horses beggers would ride.

Edited by historyprof

I have to agree on sanity sometimes (and family, friends and the food)... Being constantly around Thai-people most of my time, I tend to sometimes get a bit "crazy" and miss good long "deep" talks/discussions.

When I get that feeling, I go out drinking with my foreign friends here. That normally helps :-)

• Like 1

It's not that Thailand doesn't have mountains....... Inthanon is a lot higher than many places you can ski in Europe........it's just that to us skiers what's the point of a bloody mountain if there's no snow on it!