Does your wife/gf get mad when you mention Thailand as a third world country?

RaysFan

This has happened to me many times, but today is just the latest case...

I was at Chiang Mai city hall with my girlfriend today and there is literally like 100 dogs just walking around so I say "this is how you know Thailand is a third world country"... and she got super pissed... Told me to go back to America, completely overreacted....

Does this happen to you guys too? I mean, I said it in a jokingly manner, but I kind of wasnt. Thai people like to think they are super first world... They spend 6 months of income on an Iphone.... 6 months of income on a purse.... This makes them first world in their minds I think.... But Thailand is far far far FAR from first world, and I'm not sure they ever will be.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine lambasts Thailand and it's many foibles far more than I ever do. She knows it's not 1st world and on many occasion she is more annoyed than me about some of the <deleted> that happens and things she sees.

• Like 1

Other notes I was thinking about when I was making my post, but didnt mention to my GF, to back up my argument to her....

More than half the staff isnt trained.

You have to bribe someone to make them do their jobs.

The place is filthy.

I mentioned filthy dogs walking around.

The restrooms are infested with insects, and is filthy, and doesnt have paper towels, half the toilets are out of order.

Ask 5 staff the same question, get 5 different answers.

If they dont know the answer they default to "you have to fill this out in Bangkok"

They are selling things like candles, candies inside the offices.

They use fans.

They use dot matrix printers.

They use fax machines.

You have to fill out the same paperwork for different offices.

The grass in the middle is 18 inches high and filled with weeds.

There isnt enough parking.

The list literally keeps going. And this is CITY HALL. I mean, if your going to maintain 1 public place.... Shouldnt it be city hall? The place where all business takes place?

This has happened to me many times, but today is just the latest case...

I was at Chiang Mai city hall with my girlfriend today and there is literally like 100 dogs just walking around so I say "this is how you know Thailand is a third world country"... and she got super pissed... Told me to go back to America, completely overreacted.... 

Does this happen to you guys too? I mean, I said it in a jokingly manner, but I kind of wasnt. Thai people like to think they are super first world... They spend 6 months of income on an Iphone.... 6 months of income on a purse.... This makes them first world in their minds I think.... But Thailand is far far far FAR from first world, and I'm not sure they ever will be.

I took my Thai wife to Oregon to see my rental houses.(I live in Canada) after seeing what these people lived like and the filth they lived in she said to me.. "I thought America was a number one country" I had no answer

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Mine lambasts Thailand and it's many foibles far more than I ever do. She knows it's not 1st world and on many occasion she is more annoyed than me about some of the <deleted> that happens and things she sees.

Ditto.

+1

Another more curious thing some of you guys should ask yourselves is why did you leave your nice 1st world country and then settle in a 3rd world country. Having the means to stretch your dollar seems rather ridiculous, tolerating filthy dogs, streets, non working facilities and pc technology and overall technology a few generations behind.

You didn't go far enough, you should have pointed out that they eat dogs too.

Anyway, most nationals I meet are sparky about defending their nation, if I had to point out to you that the US of A perpetrated a genocide in the Phillipines, murdering and raping their way across the nation resulting in 1.4 million deaths you would likely go mad wouldn't you?

That's because the truth had better suit you or it hurts like hell.

Just saying. coffee1.gif

The Philippines? Really? That was more than 100 years ago if my history channel memory is correct, and the Spanish killed and raped them for 500 years before us. America was there like 1 or 2 years only, and set them free. I would say America did FAR more good than bad there.

By defending the USA you just proved his point, most people will stand up for their country even though there is evidence of wrongdoings.

No need for us Scots. Our country's perfect, as any man can see.

I try not to criticise other countries to the nationals concerned, for fear that their education is as limited as their homeland, and they cannot understand it's limitations. Some people take affront at criticism of themselves or their country, and it's probably better to maintain a smug silence rather than rubbing their noses in their shortcomings.

SC

Another more curious thing some of you guys should ask yourselves is why did you leave your nice 1st world country and then settle in a 3rd world country. Having the means to stretch your dollar seems rather ridiculous, tolerating filthy dogs, streets, non working facilities and pc technology and overall technology a few generations behind.

Maybe he fits in well here

Maybe the OP is experiencing his Cultural Readjustment phase of living in Thailand.

At the age of 28 and ex-military with strong computer skills, it must be difficult to find people with a similar skill level to communicate with.

theblether ... he's up your way in Chiang Mai ... what about, when the Family disappears home ... take him under your wing and give him a good old fashioned blethering.

Its funny you mention this, the main reason I came here is to stop communicating with people! hahaha. Most of the time I love the fact that Thailand is one of the worst English speaking countries in the world.... Its funny they have the most tourists in the world but the worst English... How does this make sense!!!!!

Its just 1 more way this is a third world country I guess. Just by learning English would give your average Thai a HUGE boost over another average Thai trying to make a living off of farangs.

You didn't go far enough, you should have pointed out that they eat dogs too.

Anyway, most nationals I meet are sparky about defending their nation, if I had to point out to you that the US of A perpetrated a genocide in the Phillipines, murdering and raping their way across the nation resulting in 1.4 million deaths you would likely go mad wouldn't you?

That's because the truth had better suit you or it hurts like hell.

Just saying. coffee1.gif

Why worry about the past when America is currently planning on killing loads of Syrians, etc.

Anyway third world isn't about development, It's about not being part of NATO or the communist block.

PS

Please accept my personal apologies for voting for Obama, I thought he was different, but of course he wasn't.

I am sorry I can not I as a Black America can say I voted for George not Obama

• Like 1

My Mrs listens to my moans and nods in agreement with most things i say......but then says 'I've lived in your country too and there are many things that i could have moaned about there but i didn't because it's disrespectful to complain all the time when you are a guest in someone else's country ' Shuts me up for a bit anyhow !

• Like 1

Maybe the OP is experiencing his Cultural Readjustment phase of living in Thailand.

At the age of 28 and ex-military with strong computer skills, it must be difficult to find people with a similar skill level to communicate with.

theblether ... he's up your way in Chiang Mai ... what about, when the Family disappears home ... take him under your wing and give him a good old fashioned blethering.

Its funny you mention this, the main reason I came here is to stop communicating with people! hahaha. Most of the time I love the fact that Thailand is one of the worst English speaking countries in the world.... Its funny they have the most tourists in the world but the worst English... How does this make sense!!!!!

Its just 1 more way this is a third world country I guess. Just by learning English would give your average Thai a HUGE boost over another average Thai trying to make a living off of farangs.

It's a great place for those of us who are not fit for social company.

Everyone should know by now the thai,s just don't get out sense of humour . I just agree with my gf for a quiet life and I let her think she's getting her own way .. When in actually getting it all my way because I just do the double bluff on her . it's all about the money whatever anyone else tells u ?? It's who u know not what u know too .. The place has changed so much over the last ten years .. For the worse. I must be a glutton for punishment lol