Outrageous Police Conduct !

Mapguy

You only hear about the bad side on forums such as this, you never hear about the good!

Have you ever seen a topic like "Policeman smiled and shook my hand today"?

I've had similar experiences to you, and even when I ended up in a police station potentially facing serious charges (should they want to act corruptly), common sense prevailed, I was an innocent party and I can't fault their attitude towards me and also their empathy.

It's simply the minority giving the majority a bad name.

I had a policeman wave a ticket because I showed him my boobs. Does that count? I had been drinking and was feeling silly at the time and he just laughed and waved me through. I don't think that would work for guys, though.

Show me your boobs and I'll wave you through, I promise :D

I hate Western cops, demerit systems, holiday double demerits, red-light/speed cameras and very hefty fines. A radar detector is essential in Aus/NZ/US and no doubt EU as well, nowadays.

At least in TH, a fine (or tea money*) is only 400 Bt and helps the cop send his kids to school.

*since installing a 500Bt dash-cam I've been waved thru 2 tea-money collection points (without flashing my man boobs) in Petchabun and Khon Kaen provinces.

I have lived here ~5 years and have never had a negative experience with anyone in authority, all positive. All my negative experiences have been with drunken expats whose idea of breakfast is a "hair of the dog" and by late afternoon ... you know the story. That being said I am normally at home before midnight so likely miss the "action", and have rarely visited the bar scene the past +4 years. I am not smearing expats, just the most visible ones that we have all run into and try and avoid.

Doug

You only hear about the bad side on forums such as this, you never hear about the good!

I've had similar experiences to you, and even when I ended up in a police station potentially facing serious charges (should they want to act corruptly), common sense prevailed, I was an innocent party and I can't fault their attitude towards me and also their empathy.

Why were you potentially facing serious charges if you were the innocent party? Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've had similar experiences to you, and even when I ended up in a police station potentially facing serious charges (should they want to act corruptly), common sense prevailed, I was an innocent party and I can't fault their attitude towards me and also their empathy.

Yeah I could have been shot by the police too(should they have have wanted to kill me)but common sense prevailed.

IMO: The issues with the Police force in Thailand is a numbers issue. There are simply too many of them, the budget is spread too thinly, they each don't get paid enough and as a consequence it has become the norm for them to supplement their salary through alternative means.

Many BiB will take on extra work, manning the door at bars and pubs etc, I've even had a taxi driver who was an off duty policeman. Of course others will supplement their measly income through alternative and less popular means.

I suspect many of the issues regarding the vast numbers of BiB in Thailand stem from the lack of social welfare: There is no support system in Thailand for those with poor career prospects, not everyone can get civilian work (i.e factory work etc)... So, some join the Army, others join the Police Force and those with a criminal record who can't join the Police may add to the numbers people who become Monks...

With the huge numbers of BiB in Thailand, the pool of applicants to the force who have nothing else to do and lack of real training its hardly surprising that there are more than a few bad-apples. But, there are also many BiB who are honourable and hard working, unfortunately the system is stacked against them.

My son and his cousin are both policeman in Chiang Mai and I can tell you that most of his colleges are a great bunch of girls and guys.

A lot of their work involves a load of crap, such as scraping dead bodies off the roads after traffic accidents, arresting thugs, drunks and criminals carrying deadly weapons, traffic duties where they are breathing in toxic fumes all day and generally placing their lives on the line everyday.

The department has hardly any of the resources available to them compared to their Western counterparts and have to buy their own uniforms, transport, weapons, even computers and stationary.. The job is truly a dedication in most cases.

A lot of what we read about the police in the headlines often emphasizes on the bad apples within the Thai police force, and most of the good work the police undertake goes unpublished, in which we never hear about. Of course when a bad apple makes headlines it tarnishes the reputation of the whole police force, which is unfortunate.

Trouble is there appears to be so many bad apples.

Our nearest police station, maybe about 20 officers. Recently 2 have been 'reassigned' for dealing drugs, another was shot in the head and killed during his own drug deal that went wrong, another is being investigated for unusual wealth(the same vermin investigating a burglary at our home and is dealing drugs to the main suspect) another who refused to do their job to try and track my stolen phone despite an order to do so.

Yes there are some good cops, I even know one, but institutionalised corruption means the good ones will always at the bottom of the pile.

• Like 2

IMO: The issues with the Police force in Thailand is a numbers issue. There are simply too many of them, the budget is spread too thinly, they each don't get paid enough and as a consequence it has become the norm for them to supplement their salary through alternative means.

Many BiB will take on extra work, manning the door at bars and pubs etc, I've even had a taxi driver who was an off duty policeman. Of course others will supplement their measly income through alternative and less popular means.

I suspect many of the issues regarding the vast numbers of BiB in Thailand stem from the lack of social welfare: There is no support system in Thailand for those with poor career prospects, not everyone can get civilian work (i.e factory work etc)... So, some join the Army, others join the Police Force and those with a criminal record who can't join the Police may add to the numbers people who become Monks...

With the huge numbers of BiB in Thailand, the pool of applicants to the force who have nothing else to do and lack of real training its hardly surprising that there are more than a few bad-apples. But, there are also many BiB who are honourable and hard working, unfortunately the system is stacked against them.

Beg to differ the system is not stacked against them it is the press and the willingness of many people to except the worst and apply it to every BIB in Thailand.

Yes they do tend to take bribes for not wearing helmets Farongs love it 200 baht tea money as compared to 400 baht and inconvenience of going to police station. Then post how bad the BIB are. They are like any other occupation they do have bad apples but there are far more good police men than rotten ones.

I admit that when I post about them I tend to follow the blind herd that believes the worst. For that I apologize and in the future will not do so. So blind herd you have just lost one member stumble on.wai2.gif

Nice video did you make it your self? What do the numbers stand for? Are the numbers for the number of cows per square Kilometer or the number of 7/11s per square Kilometer?

What is the base for them are they being based on some thing in London , New York, Paris, Dubai or any town planet earth.

Basically a post for the Thais as the video is all in Thai. Why post such an obvious fake on an English speaking forum.

Edited by hellodolly

Nice video did you make it your self? What do the numbers stand for? Are the numbers for the number of cows per square Kilometer or the number of 7/11s per square Kilometer?

What is the base for them are they being based on some thing in London , New York, Paris, Dubai or any town planet earth.

Basically a post for the Thais as the video is all in Thai. Why post such an obvious fake on an English speaking forum.

What video - seems to be a bribe reporting web site - only video I could see on the page was the one showing examples of bribes by way of an advert for the site. Did I miss something?

OP, the police could earn fortunes with road stuff IF they got out there and did what they are paid to do and the fines might improved wages. And lives could be saved. Remember, most police PAY money for the job, Why ?

My son and his cousin are both policeman in Chiang Mai and I can tell you that most of his colleges are a great bunch of girls and guys.

A lot of their work involves a load of crap, such as scraping dead bodies off the roads after traffic accidents, arresting thugs, drunks and criminals carrying deadly weapons, traffic duties where they are breathing in toxic fumes all day and generally placing their lives on the line everyday.

The department has hardly any of the resources available to them compared to their Western counterparts and have to buy their own uniforms, transport, weapons, even computers and stationary.. The job is truly a dedication in most cases.

A lot of what we read about the police in the headlines often emphasizes on the bad apples within the Thai police force, and most of the good work the police undertake goes unpublished, in which we never hear about. Of course when a bad apple makes headlines it tarnishes the reputation of the whole police force, which is unfortunate.

Our nearest police station, maybe about 20 officers. Recently 2 have been 'reassigned' for dealing drugs, another was shot in the head and killed during his own drug deal that went wrong, another is being investigated for unusual wealth(the same vermin investigating a burglary at our home and is dealing drugs to the main suspect) another who refused to do their job to try and track my stolen phone despite an order to do so.

Yes there are some good cops, I even know one, but institutionalised corruption means the good ones will always at the bottom of the pile.

Really?

Your sources of information please? Or did you hear this from a man in a bar or from a friend of a friend`s nephew whose second cousin twice removed knows someone in the police force?

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Really?

Your sources of information please? Or did you hear this from a man in a bar or from a friend of a friend`s nephew whose second cousin twice removed knows someone in the police force?

Before we were married my wife worked in the admin dept of the same police station. She is still very good friends with some of the officers who work there and is told alot of what goes on there.

Really?

Before we were married my wife worked in the admin dept of the same police station. She is still very good friends with some of the officers who work there and is told alot of what goes on there.

So I guess this must be true and just have to take your word for it.