Married to a Thai and want to move to Thailand

give some thought to the kids education and there future ,health care ,try it out before building a house ,buying a car ,or build house as a holiday home that keep the wife happy and wait till the kids are educated and you have a pension ,been on the same trip ,mine did 10 years in the UK ,tried thailand moved back to the west

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that raising children here is a great thing. On the up side they will have plenty of opportunities to play and interact socially - the down side is that they will probably not learn anything in school.

I'm sure someone is going to say the Thai education system is wonderful. Those people, to put it simply, are wrong. I've worked in government schools, bilingual schools, language schools, private schools and temple schools in Thailand. I've never seen one that was worth a damn. There have been many threads about it. Even (or perhaps especially) Thais know it sucks.

The visa issue is challenging. I'm sure someone finds it easy and reasonable, but it is a fact that the rules are constantly changing and that itself is a challenge. It's the major reason this forum exists.

• Like 2

"Please be aware that you can get a Non-O based on your marriage easily in your country at a Thai consulate. (Never at the Thai embassy)"

My last Non-Immi "O" was from Hull Consul (for a change )..but 3 before that were from Thai Embassy in London and no problems.

Never bothered with extensions since I like a middle year visit back to the smoke on cheaper EU/Bk return flights..via the Dam....so NO bank requirements.(400K /Year)

Also re motors...

As part of our local farming community (mushrooms,date palm,eggs,peppers ++++)decided that we needed another pick up so bought a New KARRY yesterday... 1.1 engine /LPG/Sat Nav/DVD/Tints,A/C..etc which can load up ..hence the name ...1000 Kgms...for Bt 290K.

Overtook a couple of Tuks Tuks coming home on the 1317 yesterday... so not bad .

The Hilux stays in the garage for "posing days out"...gotta keep it clean.

Don't do it. My Thai wife lived in the UK with me for nine years and when we came here three years ago she totally changed. She thinks she is the Queen of Sheba now and to say a leopard never changes it's spots, for me is totally wrong. We had a happy life in the UK then with my daughter who was 1.5 years old at the time,and my stepson who went to the UK to live with us when he was nine. He is now 21 and I basically raised him as his father, and he is now a good lad and gainfully employed and still living there. I have a friend from the Ireland who has had the same problem after moving from there with his Thai wife to here.

Hi,

I'm a head teacher at an international language school and can advise you that you can teach English at some schools, but not at others. Many government schools accept teachers without degrees, but their salaries are rather low and working conditions can be poor.

If you can put 400,000 baht in a bank account, you can get a 'supporting Thai wife' Non-Immigrant "O" one year visa. (You'll have to check in every 90 days to confirm your address). But you'll need to maintain a minimum balance of 400,000 for the two months prior to getting your new one year visa the following year.

The harsh reality is that most gents your age find the teaching income insufficient to maintain a really comfortable family lifestyle, and certainly they are unlikely to save enough money to retire in reasonable comfort. (Unless your wife's family are rich.)

My advice is to stay in your own country, build up savings and earn a retirement. Then you can afford to really retire in Thailand. I arrived at age 65 with 3 retirements and funds to buy a nice house and vehicle cash. I don't have to work, but like to keep busy. Life is good for us. But many of the teachers working for me now and in the past are/were struggling. Many have given up and returned home - flat broke.

Hope that helps. Best of luck

• Like 1

I would recommend opening your own small business, restaurant as someone else mentioned is a great idea. Take your time and save a big amount of money first - a proper business plan is a must, do everything properly.

I agree with the general answers to stay where you are for now and save that money. Take more holidays to LOS and network with farang business owners to find out more info. Be as prepared as you can for all eventualities - too many people fail and have to return home because of poor planning.

Best of luck to you, be positive and don't listen to the people that try to shoot you down. If you learn the Thai language you will greatly improve your chances - shouldn't be too hard with a Thai wife and a bit of study. Kids education should come before any of the above...

Please be aware that you can get a Non-O based on your marriage easily in your country at a Thai consulate. (Never at the Thai embassy).

I'd reckon to come with a one year visa, travel around to see where you'd like to live and check your options. Don't do the mistake to build a house, or buying a car.

There're schools who might hire you without a degree. Nothing is impossible here. Good luck.-wai2.gif

I think they are all through embassies now - multiple Non-Imm 'O' - even if you apply through a consulate they are sent through to the embassies.

I think they are all through embassies now - multiple Non-Imm 'O' - even if you apply through a consulate they are sent through to the embassies.

Only for UK honorary consulates. They have to be approved by embassy and it is for all multiple entry visas.

It is not worldwide.

I suggest to come to Thailand and stay during the humid weather months, than make a decision. This is a major move for you. You wife will love it but, you must be ready for major changes.. Driving here is not fun and there are accidents daily where a foreigner like yourself is responsible. Health care is not cheap and you better have it. If you decide to rent most homes require a six month lease. Cable TV and internet service is expensive. This is a small portion of what you will face here and that is not including the job you are seeking. Corruption is here so you may need more money if you get in some trouble.

Thailand was great for me, I visited Thailand every year for 15 years, got married and decided to move here, 5 months later I moved back to the states. Two traffic accidents, a car note that the dealer will not take back, Oh, did I mention my Bacteria Infection that most Thai doctors could not correctly diagnose and finally went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for emergency surgery almost losing a leg.

Don't let me scare you my friend, several people survive fine in Thailand. I do go back every year in December when the weather is great to visit my Thai wife's family and than return to the states with my wife and child.

Good Luck To You Whatever You Decision may be...

I can't really agree with allucero. I would not say that it is easy for non Thais to get used to life in Thailand, but some do and do enjoy it. To get am English teaching job without a diploma is not that difficult, if one is prepared to avail oneself to a few months course at numerous schools (Whalen is one of them). Once one passes the necessary exams, I believe that such schools as Whalen, also assist in finding a job and getting the necessary work permit. However these jobs are very poorly paid (I believe about Baht 30,000 p.m.). However, they can be a bridge to a better job within a certain period of time. One can find such schools in Chiang Mai (I am not that sure about Chiang Rai), but that's not that far.

I agree that medical Aid Insurance is absolutely necessary, but comparing to European fees, such insurance premiums are rather on the low side. Where I totally and utterly disagree with the remarks made by allucero is the standard of Health Care in Thailand. As I said, I really can't say very much about Chiang Rai, but as far as Chiang Mai is concerned, there are hospitals ad doctors capable of giving treatments of internationally very high standards. If one is still not satisfied, there are a few internationally recognized hospitals in Bangkok, which are frequented by tourists from all over the world, including the US.

One thing that the OP should be aware of is the high cost of private education in Thailand. Of course, the state schools are nearly free of charge, but the standards of most of them is such that even middle class Thai parents do not want their children to attend them.. Housing, costs of running a car and the daily necessities are mostly cheaper than in the UK or Ireland, and with a decent paying job, one can live very comfortably and safely in Thailand. However, education of children can be something that could create insurmountable difficulties, financially.

To work in Thailand you must find an employer and then apply for a work permit. For that no degree is required. But for teaching, at most schools you will not only need a work permit but also a teaching license. For the teaching license (or temporary waiver of that) a degree is required.

On the other hand not all schools require a teaching license. basically to teach at an elementary or secondary school you must have a teaching license, but for a language school or even university for example no teaching license is required.

Teaching is however something you must like, or you will hate every day of it. Working as a chef might be a good alternative.

I taught catering for years so teaching English can't be that different can it ?

I didn't think a farang could be a chef in Thailand?

My friend is from Ireland, has a degree in English and taught in Ireland and the US before moving into business. He tried teaching here, undergraduate level, and loathed every minute. Packed up after the first semester.

Teaching adults is very different to teaching children. You have no subject qualification, no teaching experience of an academic subject, no real relative experience or qualification.

Do you think it might be a little different than you think?

Too many people came here in the past and thought they could earn a few bob teaching English. The days when schools would pay a back packer for a few English lessons are gone.

Stick to catering - what you know.

A big decision. I've lived in Northwest Thailand for 3 years. Originally getting a twelve month non-immigrant visa and going out of Thailand via Mai Sai, close to Chiang Rai. You only have to cross the bridge into Burma and walk straight back. Visa stamp in passport from both countries.

I then got a 12 month marriage visa and only now have to go to Mae Hong Son immigration once per year.Every three months I get a visa extension from the little immigration office in my home town. It's not difficult to get the marriage visa, but there's masses of paperwork needed and yes you have to provide proof that you maintain over 400,000 baht in a bank account in your name, not your wifes. Detail of the paperwork required for the visa is not readily available from immigration. You can pay a solicitor, but I am however happy to provide you with a list of all that you require and some tips.

I did buy a house and a nice pick up truck soon after making the move. Property and cars can only be in your wife's name. I would however advise to rent accommodation for a while and if you need transport go for an older well looked after Toyota diesl pick up. Good engines, strong chassis. When you feel that the move is right for you and you both want to stay, then take your time with either land or property.

Getting work is a difficult issue especially if your planning to live in a more rural area. I'm older than you at 63 but still wanted to work a little. Not possible so boredom is a big problem for me. My suggestion would be to try and set your wife up with a job, of her own food outlet or a telephone shop, this is where the money is. However don't get invlolved with the business on an outward facing profile, help your wife by all means in the background. I say this because I'm also in a rural area and the Thai's and Karen people do not give their business to foreigners.

My ontly other comment is that be careful of your wife's family. Whether they be parents, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles etc. they will try to benefit from your wealth and generosity.

Hope this helps.

Don't do it. My Thai wife lived in the UK with me for nine years and when we came here three years ago she totally changed. She thinks she is the Queen of Sheba now and to say a leopard never changes it's spots, for me is totally wrong. We had a happy life in the UK then with my daughter who was 1.5 years old at the time,and my stepson who went to the UK to live with us when he was nine. He is now 21 and I basically raised him as his father, and he is now a good lad and gainfully employed and still living there. I have a friend from the Ireland who has had the same problem after moving from there with his Thai wife to here.

I have to agree. My wife is totally different here than she was in the UK or other countries that we lived in. Once back home they resort to Thainess - face means everything. Designer clothes, accessories and can't possibly work - people will think farang husband cannot afford to look after her and family, think him not clever!

I have friends from UK, Aussie, US and Ireland - all say the same. Several have got divorced and its always to do with money. Their wives all just spent what they wanted when they wanted on anything they fancied. All of these ladies were from good families with first and or masters degrees and behaved completely differently when back home.

I'd think twice. When I settled down 11 years ago, everything was much easier and life cheaper.

You could find a teaching position just by being able to speak some English. Times are changing.

Don't burn all bridges and go to Thailand, as you never know how and where you'll be. Then your step daughter and your newborn.

You'll have to pay money to get them into a school, even when it should be free. Once you'd built a house, you're a sort of trapped. Only your wife can have the land in her name.

Have you ever thought how it would be if you HAVE to do a job to support your family and to be able to live in Thailand? You'll run into various misunderstandings, as the loss of face is such an incredible part of Thai culture.

I live in the northeast of this country and haven't seen the ocean for years. Okay, life sometimes sucks and accidents do happen. Which is another problem for you. Make sure that you've got an insurance that covers all of you.

Thai hospitals in general aren't really nice places to go to. Whatever you'l decide. Don't just think about the positive aspects. Good day!-wai.gif

Stay in your own country for another ten years. Build up your pension and savings and move to Thailand when you have enough to live on without having to work. Life will be much more enjoyable that way.

best advice i seen on here no nasty suprises speak english nice weather you own culture and friends and no work social services you have every thing here the grass is allways grener on the other side

go for 6 months see it for real then think what am i missing back home that way it make your mind up she married you for a better life where you are will provide better

How much you have saved?

Where you want live?

No degree at all, Do you have some experience in a field?

I got up feeling a little down today, Grow kids playing up .

First thing i read LOL

Thanks mate you made my day ...took 10 mins to stop laughing

Cheers

The OP is wanting to give up the security and whatever he has in Ireland and chance moving to Thailand with his family on a hope and a prayer that he can find work.

My advice to the OP is; come over to Thailand on his own, if he feels desperate to get away, and not place his family in jeopardy after everything goes pear shaped and ends up destitute on the streets somewhere.

In answer to the question, in Thailand one needs money and lots of it, the country is not a haven for the poor to escape their mundane lives in the home countries.

Education for the kids, medical, transport, utility bills, food, social. Do your research.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Do an online TEF course. Best time for new contract is when term starts next year. Check out Ajarn website. Don't buy, rent till you are established. Many Irish are teachers worldwide. good luck

Good advice but better to to have a TEFL/TESOL qualification that is not done online. Enrol your self in a CELTA course, there are other courses that are equally as good but CELTA is well known and accepted everywhere.

Plenty of good things written already - the best piece of advice is don't buy a car or build a house for maybe a year!

You may have visited frequently for 2 weeks but it's different living here. Rent a place, stay with someone see how you settle down.

Once you're built the house that's your money gone - you can never get it back or send it back to Ireland.

Once you've settled in and are happy to stay look for some land and build something small/temporary to make sure the area is as you expect - you're young so there's no hurry.

Take your time and enjoy it.

Do an online TEF course. Best time for new contract is when term starts next year. Check out Ajarn website. Don't buy, rent till you are established. Many Irish are teachers worldwide. good luck

Good advice but better to to have a TEFL/TESOL qualification that is not done online. Enrol your self in a CELTA course, there are other courses that are equally as good but CELTA is well known and accepted everywhere.

I would not send a child of mine to a school which employed people with no academic creditability (relevant degree(s)) who "pretend" to be teachers on the basis of a dodgy TEFL or CELTA "qualification"

Edited by jrtmedic

Many wrong or negative information here....Sometimes not the right place to ask...

WORK: I live here for more than 2 years, retired and married with a Thai citizen. I am non native English speaker, I do no have a teaching degree but I can teach English if I want because it is a new Thai government project allowing people from any nationality, without any teaching degree or certification, but with good English skills, to teach in public elementary schools.

Salary 10000 thb/month and a work permit. Just go to any government elementary school and ask.

TEACHING CERTIFICATION: You can get a teaching certification if you are from a English speaking country, just taking a 120 hours course in a licensed school. With a teaching certification you can apply for teaching jobs in any school with a big chance to get it, and with salaries over 20000thb/month. Just go to any English Teaching School and ask.

HEALTH INSURANCE: If you are under 60 years old, married with a Thai citizen, with a Thai marriage visa, and you have a work permit, you qualify to have Social Security, that cover medical expenses in public hospitals. Your wife can also get a Social Security if do not have now, just paying a small fee to cover pass years. Just go to the local Social Security office and ask.

VISA: To get a marriage visa if you have the proper marriage documentation, just needs to show an official declaration from your country or embassy stating that you, OR you and your wife together, have an income of more of 40000thb/month OR 400000thb in a Thai bank OR a combination of both like, 20000thb income plus 250000thb in a bank account. Do not ask a private visa service about, just go to the local immigration office and ask.

BANK ACCOUNT: Many Thai banks will tell you that you need a work visa to open an account, but you can do it without in any Bangkok Bank.

HOUSING: Do not buy a house so soon....just rent...and ...you can rent a house on a month to month contract, sometimes even with some furniture. Do not use an Internet service or real estate company to find it. Look in local newspapers, and ask to local people....

CAR: Do not buy or rent a car or motorbike if you cannot get a very good insurance. Deal with the police or a victim of an accident will be trouble, even more if you were at fault. By the way....Good insurance do not exist in Thailand, but..again...ask around. Used cars and motorbikes sometimes are just another bad experience.

Welcome to Thailand!

• Like 1

Many wrong or negative information here....Sometimes not the right place to ask...

WORK: I live here for more than 2 years, retired and married with a Thai citizen. I am non native English speaker, I do no have a teaching degree but I can teach English if I want because it is a new Thai government project allowing people from any nationality, without any teaching degree or certification, but with good English skills, to teach in public elementary schools.

Salary 10000 thb/month and a work permit. Just go to any government elementary school and ask.

TEACHING CERTIFICATION: You can get a teaching certification if you are from a English speaking country, just taking a 120 hours course in a licensed school. With a teaching certification you can apply for teaching jobs in any school with a big chance to get it, and with salaries over 20000thb/month. Just go to any English Teaching School and ask.

HEALTH INSURANCE: If you are under 60 years old, married with a Thai citizen, with a Thai marriage visa, and you have a work permit, you qualify to have Social Security, that cover medical expenses in public hospitals. Your wife can also get a Social Security if do not have now, just paying a small fee to cover pass years. Just go to the local Social Security office and ask.

VISA: To get a marriage visa if you have the proper marriage documentation, just needs to show an official declaration from your country or embassy stating that you, OR you and your wife together, have an income of more of 40000thb/month OR 400000thb in a Thai bank OR a combination of both like, 20000thb income plus 250000thb in a bank account. Do not ask a private visa service about, just go to the local immigration office and ask.

BANK ACCOUNT: Many Thai banks will tell you that you need a work visa to open an account, but you can do it without in any Bangkok Bank.

HOUSING: Do not buy a house so soon....just rent...and ...you can rent a house on a month to month contract, sometimes even with some furniture. Do not use an Internet service or real estate company to find it. Look in local newspapers, and ask to local people....

CAR: Do not buy or rent a car or motorbike if you cannot get a very good insurance. Deal with the police or a victim of an accident will be trouble, even more if you were at fault. By the way....Good insurance do not exist in Thailand, but..again...ask around. Used cars and motorbikes sometimes are just another bad experience.

Welcome to Thailand!

SOrry you are incorrect in a few places here - most importantly IMO is this : " To get a marriage visa if you have the proper marriage documentation, just needs to show an official declaration from your country or embassy stating that you, OR you and your wife together, have an income of more of 40000thb/month OR 400000thb in a Thai bank OR a combination of both like, 20000thb income plus 250000thb in a bank account. Do not ask a private visa service about, just go to the local immigration office and ask." - This is untrue. The money can NOT be split between the couple or the couple's accounts. It can not be split part and part saving with income (as it can with retirement OA) - one or the other.

Stay in Ireland unless you have no job, no possibility of a job, or are 100% unemployable. Save what you think (or what your wife thinks you need) then double those savings asyou will need every satang. I am from Cavan been living here for over 4 years with two children. First chance we get we will move back to Ireland.

If you do come asothers have said do not buy the house even if the wife says you need it. Teaching in a government school is difficult with the biggest issue being classroom management, you have to see it to believe it but it is terrible. Working as a chef is possible but unless you are at a main stream tourist hotel or restaurant you will make less than teaching.

As for childrens education mine go to Thai schools but are home schooled mostly. They are both fluent in thai, isaan, english and french so if you are willing to step up and teach them education should not be a problem.

Good luck but I would ask you to think long and hard about coming here. By the way what, just roughly, do you consider sufficient savings? I started with just a little over 5,000,000 baht.......thought it was enough! I had a job upon arrival, work permit sorted and a degree.....

As pointed out the above is totally false information. Money of foreign male only is considered and there is no option to use use combined income and savings. The requirement information is clearly listed in police order 777/2551

I suggest to come to Thailand and stay during the humid weather months, than make a decision. This is a major move for you. You wife will love it but, you must be ready for major changes.. Driving here is not fun and there are accidents daily where a foreigner like yourself is responsible. Health care is not cheap and you better have it. If you decide to rent most homes require a six month lease. Cable TV and internet service is expensive. This is a small portion of what you will face here and that is not including the job you are seeking. Corruption is here so you may need more money if you get in some trouble.

Thailand was great for me, I visited Thailand every year for 15 years, got married and decided to move here, 5 months later I moved back to the states. Two traffic accidents, a car note that the dealer will not take back, Oh, did I mention my Bacteria Infection that most Thai doctors could not correctly diagnose and finally went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for emergency surgery almost losing a leg.

Don't let me scare you my friend, several people survive fine in Thailand. I do go back every year in December when the weather is great to visit my Thai wife's family and than return to the states with my wife and child.

Good Luck To You Whatever You Decision may be...

I can't really agree with allucero. I would not say that it is easy for non Thais to get used to life in Thailand, but some do and do enjoy it. To get am English teaching job without a diploma is not that difficult, if one is prepared to avail oneself to a few months course at numerous schools (Whalen is one of them). Once one passes the necessary exams, I believe that such schools as Whalen, also assist in finding a job and getting the necessary work permit. However these jobs are very poorly paid (I believe about Baht 30,000 p.m.). However, they can be a bridge to a better job within a certain period of time. One can find such schools in Chiang Mai (I am not that sure about Chiang Rai), but that's not that far.

I agree that medical Aid Insurance is absolutely necessary, but comparing to European fees, such insurance premiums are rather on the low side. Where I totally and utterly disagree with the remarks made by allucero is the standard of Health Care in Thailand. As I said, I really can't say very much about Chiang Rai, but as far as Chiang Mai is concerned, there are hospitals ad doctors capable of giving treatments of internationally very high standards. If one is still not satisfied, there are a few internationally recognized hospitals in Bangkok, which are frequented by tourists from all over the world, including the US.

One thing that the OP should be aware of is the high cost of private education in Thailand. Of course, the state schools are nearly free of charge, but the standards of most of them is such that even middle class Thai parents do not want their children to attend them.. Housing, costs of running a car and the daily necessities are mostly cheaper than in the UK or Ireland, and with a decent paying job, one can live very comfortably and safely in Thailand. However, education of children can be something that could create insurmountable difficulties, financially.