Rise in Phuket metered taxi fares to thwart cab cheats

webfact

Rise in Phuket metered taxi fares to thwart cab cheats
Phuket Gazette

ta.jpg
The rise in standard taxi fares in Phuket aims to encourage taxi drivers to use meters instead of charging flat rates. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Taxi fares are set to rise in Phuket in an attempt to thwart the illegal-taxi trade and to provide legitimate taxi drivers with a decent standard of living.

“We will increase taxi fares as part of our campaign to solve the problem of taxi-driver cheats in Phuket,” said Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

“If the standard fares rise, taxi drivers will have more incentive to use meters instead of charging flat rates,” he told the Phuket Gazette.

The news follows Vice Governor Chamroen chairing a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday that targeted the problems that have arisen from the excessive and embarrassing taxi fares that are charged in Phuket.

“We receive more than 10 complaints a month from people telling us that metered-taxi drivers in Phuket do not charge standard fares, and they differ in the levels of service they provide,” Phuket Land Transport Department Chief Terayout Prasertphol told the Gazette.

“That encourages tourists – and residents – to not use taxis. This is a big problem and it will affect Phuket’s tourism [industry],” he said.

Mr Terayout explained that three new rates had been decided on, and will be proposed for use in Phuket.

“All of them are under the rates set by the Department of Land Transport,” he said.

The rise in taxi-fare rates will be the first Phuket taxi-fare adjustment since 2003, Mr Terayout pointed out.

“At present, the first two kilometers is set at 50 baht per kilometer. Then, up to 22 kilometers, the rate is seven baht per kilometer. And, in excess of 22 kilometers the charge is six baht per kilometer.

“This rate is not fair when when one considers today’s cost of living,” he said.

Mr Terayout’s concerns were echoed by Sutin Jampathong, managing director of Phuket Taxi Meter Service Company Limited.

“There have been many complaints from taxi drivers about the fares being too low compared with today’s living costs. The proposed increase is a good solution for existing taxi problems,” Mr Sutin said.

Mr Terayout added, “Taxi drivers on Koh Samui charge higher fares, but they have fewer complaints about drivers cheating. Therefore, we believe we are taking the right course of action.”

Vice Governor Chamroen noted that four teams of officers had been deployed to act against taxi-driver cheats.

“This will benefit passengers and the drivers. It will also help improve our standards and the image of metered-taxi drivers in Phuket.

“We will move to have all taxis in Phuket fitted with meters in the future,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Rise-in-Phuket-metered-taxi-fares-to-thwart-cab-cheats-22128.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-31

Good idea. It might pull others in to start using metres.

Rough calculations. At these rates I could get from Kata beach to Central festival for 220 baht excluding flag fare?

Unsure now this will work. That's too cheap.

Edited by hansgruber

Good idea. It might pull others in to start using metres. Rough calculations. At these rates I could get from Kata beach to Central festival for 220 baht excluding flag fare? Unsure now this will work. That's too cheap.

That's the old rate. The new rate hasn't been announced, but, you can bet that it will be equivalent of what the airport limos are charging.

This way, not only will the meter taxi owners stop whinging, but, it will also legitimize the current prices which means that there will be one less thorny problem to do anything about. Everyone wins (except the customer and they don't count).

Good idea. It might pull others in to start using metres. Rough calculations. At these rates I could get from Kata beach to Central festival for 220 baht excluding flag fare? Unsure now this will work. That's too cheap.

"That's too cheap." - the same length journey in Pattaya is 10 to 20 baht. :) :)

• Like 1

Thats because your used to the old/current extortion prices.

That's the old rate. The new rate hasn't been announced, but, you can bet that it will be equivalent of what the airport limos are charging.

This way, not only will the meter taxi owners stop whinging, but, it will also legitimize the current prices which means that there will be one less thorny problem to do anything about. Everyone wins (except the customer and they don't count).

"Everyone wins (except the customer and they don't count)." - the customers do "count." They "count" their baht and the traditional western market now knows they are paying a lot more, for a lot less, here on Phuket, and are staying away.

The TAT "count" customers as well, and at the moment, all there are to "count" are the Russians, Chinese and Indians, and they are not spending much baht to "count" in businesses here..

Another thing you can "count" is you can "count" on no positive changes here and you can "count" on things getting worse, much worse, before the slightest chance of getting better, but by then, you will be able to "count" the amount of tourist to Phuket on one hand.

So, as you can see, customers DO "count." :) :)

• Like 1

"Everyone wins (except the customer and they don't count)." - the customers do "count." They "count" their baht and the traditional western market now knows they are paying a lot more, for a lot less, here on Phuket, and are staying away.

The TAT "count" customers as well, and at the moment, all there are to "count" are the Russians, Chinese and Indians, and they are not spending much baht to "count" in businesses here..

Another thing you can "count" is you can "count" on no positive changes here and you can "count" on things getting worse, much worse, before the slightest chance of getting better, but by then, you will be able to "count" the amount of tourist to Phuket on one hand.

So, as you can see, customers DO "count." smile.pngsmile.png

I see you don't do irony very well.

• Like 1

So, as you can see, customers DO "count." smile.pngsmile.png

I see you don't do irony very well.

No. I outsource my laundry duties. :) :) :) :)

• Like 1

Weren't we predicting a rise in prices in a few taxi tuk tuk threads a month or so back. This legitimised raise in fares has nothing to do with trying to stop taxi cheats, but rather bowing to the taxi and transport mafia.

Yes, that's correct, and with the major demographic of tourist coming here now being package holiday makers and using coach buses, I predict even more price rises here in the future.

Just put the prices up to compensate for lower profits. Not address the issues causing lower profits. :) :)

How many meter taxis are there? Less than 100?

And they can only pick up from the airport (in theory).

Hardly a major shake-up of the industry, is it?

"Hardly a major shake-up of the industry, is it?" - no, but just yet another shake-down, ahh, I mean, shake-up, along with others, across other sectors, that adds to the higher cost of a holiday on Phuket now.

Phuket is just not competing against other destinations in Thailand, and neighbouring countries, and is relying on the "Phuket Brand" to charge whatever they want.

No sustainability in a tourism industry implementing a policy/attitude like that.

My month in Phuket will soon be over and as usual I pride myself in not using a taxi or a tuk tuk. I have negotiated a fare to the Airport of 800 baht, lucky to get that but i guess from the figures available it is too high. When arriving we joined the mini bus queue and in the early day that works well at 200 pp and we avoided the taxis as well. Of course the required stop at a tourist agent occurred... oh well!

Last year we stayed for two months and did the same but had no choice once and paid 200 baht to move within Kata. The usual plan show the board with the maximum price shown or some computer generated sheet.

We have successfully used the local bus service and feel that should be expanded to run not just to Phuket Town but up and down the coastal road as well. Now that would really be a game changer.

Will this scam affect tourism in Phuket - and we first visited in 1991?

It will in my case its too hard to get around here in Phuket so my next Thai holiday is in Jomtien again 10 baht buses to move about and you know where you stand.

Just to outline the senselessness in all of this. A few years ago a chap arrived from Patong in a taxi to pick me up from the Little Mermaid in Karon and we were opposite the taxi stand.

Yep .. you guessed it the taxi couldn't take us back but had to drive back empty as the Karon taxi has to do that job. Then that taxi drives back empty ... I have no sympathy for the taxi drivers in Phuket they are their own worst enemies.

I guess he accepted the outcome for fear of retribution.

Raising meter fares to match the current flat fares illegally demanded, will simply result in higher flat fares being demanded.

The lesson to be learned is, no mater what the legal fare is, taxi drivers will always demand a higher fare if they can get away with it. And in Thailand generally, and Phuket specifically, they can get away with it.

As always, nothing wrong with the laws, but enforcement, forget it.

For the record, the current meter rate from the airport to Kata is approximately B235. Did it once and lifted the hat that the driver used to cover the meter, then paid his 800 baht flat fare.

Raise rates, loose customers. One more nail in the coffin for sustained tourism.

Fraid not.

The Phuket transport cartel is nothing, if not efficient. They talk for every taxi and tuk-tuk on the island.

Taxis and tuk-tuks are, unfortunately, a necessity here in Phuket.

They know they won't lose customers if the price goes up a bit, because they didn't the last time the prices were hiked!

The only chink in their armour, is competition. They can't be negotiated with from a position of weakness.

They need to get the Airport to Patong bus to complete the Patong to Karon leg of the journey as was originally planned.

Time to squeeze a pimple.

Raise rates, loose customers. One more nail in the coffin for sustained tourism.

Fraid not.

The Phuket transport cartel is nothing, if not efficient. They talk for every taxi and tuk-tuk on the island.

Taxis and tuk-tuks are, unfortunately, a necessity here in Phuket.

They know they won't lose customers if the price goes up a bit, because they didn't the last time the prices were hiked!

The only chink in their armour, is competition. They can't be negotiated with from a position of weakness.

They need to get the Airport to Patong bus to complete the Patong to Karon leg of the journey as was originally planned.

Time to squeeze a pimple.

"They know they won't lose customers if the price goes up a bit, because they didn't the last time the prices were hiked!" - ahhhh, seems like Phuket, therefore, in turn, the taxis and tuk-tuks, HAVE lost a big slice of the lucrative western market here in recent times, only to be replaced by Russian, Chinese and Indian package holiday makers using coach buses.

So, in my opinion, they have, either directly, or indirectly, lost customers here, hence, my prediction of even more price rises in the future, as they continue to lose more.

"That's too cheap." - the same length journey in Pattaya is 10 to 20 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

And i thought Chiang mai was cheap. That journeyt would cost around 50฿ here in a songteaw or tuk tukwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

"That's too cheap." - the same length journey in Pattaya is 10 to 20 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

You are getting screwed at those prices. Come to Pattaya and you will find out. Go to Bangkok and you will find out. Does not cost more for cars or liquid gas in Phuket. Just being scammed.

• Like 1

Why are taxi's so cheap in BKK? As the cost of living is much higher in BKK I suppose. If that is possible, why can't they just do the same in Phuket?

In BKK the taxis reflect the price that local Thais will pay. Law of supply and demand, although if a Farang shows up then a new rediculous price is asked, luckily you move on and find a taxi that will use the meter.

Phuket taxi fares are driven by the tourist market and a closed shop regime. Drivers are happy to wait all day, get a couple of fares, and make a killing compared with BKK guys.