Marriage extension/retirement extension financial requirements

Can anybody explain how the financial requirements for the marriage extension (฿40 000.-/month or ฿400 000.- in the bank) and the requirements for the retirement extension (฿65 000.- / ฿800 000.- or combination) were arrived at? I saw someone suggest that the ฿800 000.- was what might be required as a measure of self insurance. So following this logic, married people will be looked after at home and cared for by their wife? So why should married people need less to live on? Badly formed question, maybe I'm asking the wrong question...

It's hard to know but in my view people married to a Thai person have a definite human connection to Thailand so lowering the finances for them could be seen as having a compassionate aspect towards the THAI person involved.

Edited by Jingthing

It's hard to know but in my view people married to a Thai person have a definite human connection to Thailand so lowering the finances for them could be seen as having a compassionate aspect towards the THAI person involved.

But if that was the case why would a retiree married to a Thai person not have a lower financial requirement than retirees who are not married to a Thai person?

I know there won't be an answer, but just emphasizes no real logic.

50% discount, if married to a Thai is normal. The PR fee is half price. Salary of 40K to apply for citizenship rather than 80k. Only 1 million paid up capital for a work permit instead of 2 million. What is anomalous is that the income for a retirement visa is 65k and not 80k. Perhaps they will fix that when the realise the error.

Maybe when they realize that many males on extension of stay based on retirement often support many single Thai females they will lower the 65k to 40k rather than raising it to 80k as suggested above.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Come on JL. How many single Thai females can you support with 65K a month? Have a heart.

Two. 35K for me and 15K for each of the 2 girls -- it's one thing to expect that things might get tougher for those on long term extensions but it's another thing for someone to hope for it.

Edited by JLCrab

The actual requirements and the validity of anything You provide to immigration in attempting to meet those requirements are decided by the immigration officer on the day You present them, and will vary according to the immigration officers (a policeman) assessment of yourself with regard to his requirements..

The actual requirements and the validity of anything You provide to immigration in attempting to meet those requirements are decided by the immigration officer on the day You present them, and will vary according to the immigration officers (a policeman) assessment of yourself with regard to his requirements..

Agree -- and just to embellish the sub-title of Police Order 777/2551 is "Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand" meaning that even if you provide the documentation as required that is what is required at a minimum and the 'competent officer' is only obligated to consider and is under no obligation to grant an extension just because you have met the minimal conditions.

Similarly, under the Alien Act and as comment on the MFA website General Information page:

The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers. In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

So if the Immigration Officer at the port of entry has reason to believe that the Visa as granted was obtained based on providing false information or declaration, that might be sufficient reason or belief to deny entry.