V sign when taking a photo

giggles

from Japan, in those days when SPLIT-FOCUSING SCREEN just introduced, Japanese photographers asked their subjects ( especially girls ) for this V-fingers for focusing : -)

( for those young enough to remember )

There's a shop in Mega Bang Na that has a mannequin model whatever you call it of someone dressed like a doctor outside it. The shop name begins with a 'w' so the mannequin makes a 'w' with 2 forward facing v signs.

Can't find the mannequin but ...

10_019.jpg

Edited by arthurwait

We were doing the same thing in the 60s/70s Hippie Era. Sneaking around behind person/s getting photographed and holding the V sign behind their head. Hopefully without them realising it. Or even giving it yourself when posing for a photo. Instead of saying 'cheese' one would say 'Peace Brother' and hold up the V Sign.

This is around the era the whole thing really caught on in this context. Originally it was the cigar smoking, Winston Churchill's iconic 'V' for Victory sign in WWII,

Then in the 60s/70s Hippie Era it was revived by the Pot Smoking Hippie Anti War Movement and it became the Universal 'Peace' Sign, it seems to have just stuck.

(the different colours represent the different races)

Peace%20Brother.jpg

I think it rude to stick fingers up

So which nationality do you fit in?

If the palm of the hand faces the signer (i.e., the back of the hand faces the observer), the sign signifies: An insult. This usage is restricted largely to Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom.

The common misconception is that this started in the Hundred Years War, before the Battle of Agincourt.

The story is that if French soldiers caught an English bowman they would cut off the index and middle fingers of his right hand so he could not draw a longbow. So, prior to the battle the English bowman would wave these two fingers at the French whilst shouting "Pluck yew!"

Over time the gesture came to mean "F*** you!"

However, this story is almost certainly not true.

Only nobles and others who could be ransomed were, if caught, kept alive. Commoners were not worth a ransom and feeding them etc. would be costly, so any captured during or after a battle were usually killed.

• Like 1

I think it rude to stick fingers up

So which nationality do you fit in?

If the palm of the hand faces the signer (i.e., the back of the hand faces the observer), the sign signifies: An insult. This usage is restricted largely to Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom.

The common misconception is that this started in the Hundred Years War, before the Battle of Agincourt.

The story is that if French soldiers caught an English bowman they would cut off the index and middle fingers of his right hand so he could not draw a longbow. So, prior to the battle the English bowman would wave these two fingers at the French whilst shouting "Pluck yew!"

However, this story is almost certainly not true.

Only nobles and others who could be ransomed were, if caught, kept alive. Commoners were not worth a ransom and feeding them etc. would be costly, so any captured during or after a battle were usually killed.

Could be some truths of the story in that I have always heard of the two fingers up as the Longbowman's Salute.

• Like 1

Thai women are very history conscious and definitely show a preference for overweight older men who smoke cigars. Hence the tribute V sign whenever they take a photo hoping against hope that a handsome man from the West will see the picture.

post-183412-0-88585200-1378106742_thumb.

Edited by historyprof
  • Like 1

Its "Thai-style"! - Makes you look funny and "Ting-Tong", I guess...

Nobody here knows what it means and it actually looks stupid (I my opinion), but who cares? Maybe a way to not feel shy, when the picture is being taken.

Actually, young people in Europe are also starting to do it now.

I always thought the V sign meant "Victory", but who and I to know? smile.png Maybe Thai-girls use it to show, that they have found a Farang-boyfriend.

Edited by btwretail

Nobody here knows what it means and it actually looks stupid (I my opinion), but who cares? Maybe a way to not feel shy, when the picture is being taken.

I always thought the V sign meant "Victory", but who and I to know? smile.png Maybe Thai-girls use it to show, that they have found a Farang-boyfriend.

No it is definitely not "Thai style"

No it is definitely not "Thai style"

Gangnam style?

The root of which is based in the Anglo-Franco wars. The French would cut the two fingers off the captured archers.

This resulted in the English giving the French the 'two fingers' up yours salute to tease that they still had them.

You are considerably more dismissive of "Thai style" when the symbols not personally offensive to you.

Unlikely, as the English didn't speak English in those times.