GMS countries pledge to end dog meat eating

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you "smuggle" a truck load of dogs across the border?

Drive the truck to a place on the bank of the Mekong River. Unload the cages onto a boat. Cross the river. Load the cages onto the truck waiting on the Lao side. Continue on to the Vietnamese border. Pangolins, etc, go the same way but they go by the pick-up load, not truck load.

Why bother? There's a bloke in the UK who still sells the old WW2 DUKW's. They could buy a few of these and speed up delivery by loading up, driving across the river and driving right to the doors of restaurants for a few baht more.

Why stop it for heavens sake !

Its the most efficient method of getting rid of all these filthy dogs and cats.

Every day in BKK we have to step around puddles of dog urine and poo. It runs everywhere after a spell of rain.

As soon as Thais get rid of the dogs another pack rolls up and makes our street their home. They just keep coming. Eating,barking,vomiting and belching.

Its disgusting. Round up every dog and send them off to Vietnam ASAP.

Fortunately this trade will continue as there's money to be made and hungry mouths to feed.

unfortunatly dogs havnt evolved to use toilets yet...sterilize the lot including a fair few humans aswell.wouldnt be inhumane now would it..mind you ive always thought bkk was one huge toilet so.......but thats just my opinion...whistling.gif

• Like 1

the words of Mahatma Ghandi on the subject:

“A roving dog without an owner is a danger to society and a swarm of them is a menace to its very existence... If we want to keep dogs in towns or villages in a decent manner no dog should be suffered to wander. There should be no stray dogs even as we have no stray cattle... But can we take individual charge of these roving dogs? Can we have a pinjrapole for them? If both these things are impossible then there seems to me no alternative except to kill them... it is an insult to the starving dog to throw a crumb at him. Roving dogs do not indicate compassion and civilization in society; they betray instead the ignorance and lethargy of its members... that means we should keep them and treat them with respect as we do our companions and not allow them to roam about.” -- quoted from www.Karmayog.com

'

I agree - strays of both species are a menace to society. I doubt that rabies is the real reason the "Alliance" doesn't want dogs being transported across borders. I don't eat "other" meats but I sure don't have a problem with other people doing so. I've sampled many types of meat and most (to me) are best left as emergency food, i.e. I'd eat it if I was starving. For me and my pizza's, meat is not the MAIN ingredient. Less is more healthy (even though meat is really good!)

“A roving dog without an owner is a danger to society and a swarm of them is a menace to its very existence... If we want to keep dogs in towns or villages in a decent manner no dog should be suffered to wander. There should be no stray dogs even as we have no stray cattle... But can we take individual charge of these roving dogs? Can we have a pinjrapole for them? If both these things are impossible then there seems to me no alternative except to kill them... it is an insult to the starving dog to throw a crumb at him. Roving dogs do not indicate compassion and civilization in society; they betray instead the ignorance and lethargy of its members... that means we should keep them and treat them with respect as we do our companions and not allow them to roam about.” -- quoted from www.Karmayog.com

Ghandi actually said there are no stray cattle in India???? This must have been said when he was living in South Africa or else the cows-wandering-aimlessly-around-the-streets thing must be new since his time. But I somehow doubt it. [To be honest, I'm also surprised that Ghandi would have advocated the killing of any creature for the reasons given in that quote.]

• Like 1

Some people are very sensible. I see no problem in eating any animal as long as they are raised in farms to that effect, in the same way chickens,pigs or cows are being farmed. I love beef, but I should be dying to kill a cow or pig for eating. I guess I am a hypocrite...

the OP photo suggested the dogs were transported on a uncovered truck. does it mean that it is completely legally allowed and socially acceptable on the way from Thai to Vietnam ?

OMG, a dog on lower left, it still has a bell on crying.gif

Yes apparently a lot of them aren't strays but stolen from homes as they tend to have more meat on them.

Ghandi actually said there are no stray cattle in India???? This must have been said when he was living in South Africa or else the cows-wandering-aimlessly-around-the-streets thing must be new since his time. But I somehow doubt it. [To be honest, I'm also surprised that Ghandi would have advocated the killing of any creature for the reasons given in that quote.]

Some comments on the Gandhi quote from a member of the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore @:

https://www.facebook.com/avasg/posts/225843507492184

Maybe some body can educate me but why does Vietnam need to smuggle/import dogs to eat? Aren't they super easy and cheap to breed?

Seems it would be more humane (and economical) to just set up dog breeding and slaughter facilities within Vietnam and let them eat as much dog as they want?

I'm a veggie personally but if someone wants to eat meat its their choice, whatever that "meat" may be. Just seems crazy spending all that money transporting an animal as "cheap" as a dog hundreds of miles across land when you could just have a facility that breeds them.

I don't understand it either but I don't think the word humane comes into it. In fact from what I've heard inhumane treatment is an essential part of the dog meat production.

• Like 1

I'm with Gandhi. The trade in dogs is a result of people tolerating stray dogs. Perhaps you could replace 'dog' for 'human' and come to similar conclusions.

Dogburgers taste awful & afterwards you feel a bit ruff.

But yeah, human digestive system = herbivore. We descended from plant-eating monkeys, and we don't need meat at all in our diets, so theres even less reason to eat dog meat. Was a good study a few decades back on obesity/cholesterol levels globally and Thailand was in the very lowest bracket, at about 250x lower than western nations, and this is largely because of traditional papaya salads and other vegetable based cooking, fish and poultry etc. but mainly the vegetable-oriented diet. Obviously Thais do eat meat, much more so now with KFC/MCd. All animals suffer the same, cows pigs dogs etc. if you eat one you might as well eat the lot. I'm vegetarian and so I don't distinguish, ppl think dogs are cute but I had a pet pig and he was gorgeous.

Maybe Thais descended from plant-eating monkeys but westerners didn't. They descended from meat eaters.

Is there anyone who has observed the well-fed dog with necklace in the photo, what is that indicates.

This could indicate one or two "things" to me.

1. The dog was stolen.

2. The owners of the dog are/were negligent in caring for said animal.

and a possible third...

3. The owners could no longer care for it and sold it.

In any of the three instances...to me anyway...the owner should be

whipped till the skin slides of his/her body.

• Like 2

Could someone state what is wrong with eating dog meat. I don't mean from stolen animals; or someone's pet; or from diseased animals; or animals inhumanely killed. Just plain old dog meat, like plain old chicken meat, or plain old pig meat; like -- well, I'm sure you get the picture. I've eaten it in Thai curry, and it was delicious and indistinguishable from buffalo. So what, exactly, is the big deal??????

• Like 1

"We cannot change culture or habit" - there was slavery in the US of culture and habits can be changed. Look at smoking etc in the West. This is a disgusting o be happening in the 21st Century but any reason to slow it down is good. How does the world look at Vietnam eating dogs. I would never visit on that basis alone.

Yeah, it's really horrible to ride around on a motorbike seeing roasted dog everywhere in Hanoi and disturbing to hear the live dogs in the background while seeing the people dine in a dog meat restaurant with a live dog or two in there sniffing around the tables for scraps... of dog meat. You don't want to go there, believe me. You might need therapy after that type of culture shock.

It is not everywhere in Hanoi, only one area. And my Vietnamese employee who pointed it out to me has 2 dogs at home and is appalled by it. Just a shame they have not done anything about it until possibly now. Only time will tell if they enforce this.

Is there anyone who has observed the well-fed dog with necklace in the photo, what is that indicates.

This could indicate one or two "things" to me.

1. The dog was stolen.

2. The owners of the dog are/were negligent in caring for said animal.

and a possible third...

3. The owners could no longer care for it and sold it.

In any of the three instances...to me anyway...the owner should be

whipped till the skin slides of his/her body.

I think number one might be an exception?

But yeah, human digestive system = herbivore. We descended from plant-eating monkeys, and we don't need meat at all in our diets, so theres even less reason to eat dog meat. Was a good study a few decades back on obesity/cholesterol levels globally and Thailand was in the very lowest bracket, at about 250x lower than western nations, and this is largely because of traditional papaya salads and other vegetable based cooking, fish and poultry etc. but mainly the vegetable-oriented diet. Obviously Thais do eat meat, much more so now with KFC/MCd. All animals suffer the same, cows pigs dogs etc. if you eat one you might as well eat the lot. I'm vegetarian and so I don't distinguish, ppl think dogs are cute but I had a pet pig and he was gorgeous.

Maybe Thais descended from plant-eating monkeys but westerners didn't. They descended from meat eaters.

Canivores eat raw meat. I mean, you don't often see lions setting up a bbq to cook an antelope.

Try eating uncooked meat for a couple of weeks

• Like 1

the OP photo suggested the dogs were transported on a uncovered truck. does it mean that it is completely legally allowed and socially acceptable on the way from Thai to Vietnam ?

OMG, a dog on lower left, it still has a bell on crying.gif

Yes apparently a lot of them aren't strays but stolen from homes as they tend to have more meat on them.

I lost my dog ( fatty ) many years ago in a winter when I was in Hong Kong. reported to police station and asked if any other GOVT department find it. mr police - what, you loss a dog and come to us ?

another evening while searching the dog, asked a fareng walking with dog and shared our experience in the police station. next morning, mr police called us - no, the dog was not find, but that fareng was the big boss of the police station.

Canivores eat raw meat. I mean, you don't often see lions setting up a bbq to cook an antelope.

Try eating uncooked meat for a couple of weeks

Chimps hunt in groups, they are ruthless killers -carnivores -so WE must come from these apes. ???

On topic, Local authorities are the only body of people that can do something about strays and owners that let their dogs stray anywhere -free style as Thais call it, local government can do it but needs the money for other "ventures"

• Like 1

Indian don't eat cow, do they impose the same rule to Farang?

Parky don't eat pig, do they impose the same rule to Farang?

Chinese don't eat sheep, do they impose the same rule to Farang?

So when Farang don't eat dog, why should they impose the same rule to Thais?

• Like 2