Thai/American widow in need of help

techXXX

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an American and receive my Social Security Direct Deposit to my BBL Account every month with no problem. Must be a special account for this use only. I go to bank and get the money. BBL send me an sms which you need to set up once so that every month when the money is deposited you get the text.. Simple.

I'm not American so I cannot offer any specific advice.

However perhaps one of the US members who have responded so well could suggest which branch of BBL in CM would be best to set this up.

I think we all know, with all banks, some branches are better than others for specific transactions / banking needs etc.

Surely it's better if this lady knows which specific CM BBL branch to aim for.

Kudos to the member who started the thread.

Jesus!...they still use snail-mail!!....heres a country that can bomb the poop out of the entire world and the government can't use direct-deposit.....geeze!

Jesus...some people do not read before posting....just too into complaining and whining.....geeze!

They can and do use direct deposit but some people prefer not to use it so they don't sign up for it.

• Like 1

Jesus!...they still use snail-mail!!....heres a country that can bomb the poop out of the entire world and the government can't use direct-deposit.....geeze!

Jesus...some people do not read before posting....just too into complaining and whining.....geeze!

They can and do use direct deposit but some people prefer not to use it so they don't sign up for it.

Perhaps read post #31 first, go to the link and see what it says... This is a part of one of the answers:

The Treasury Department published a final rule in December 2010 to gradually phase out paper checks for federal benefit payments. As of March 1, 2013, if you receive or are applying for these federal benefits, you are required by law to receive payments through direct deposit to your bank or credit union account or to a Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® card:

Perhaps read post #31 first, go to the link and see what it says... This is a part of one of the answers:

The Treasury Department published a final rule in December 2010 to gradually phase out paper checks for federal benefit payments. As of March 1, 2013, if you receive or are applying for these federal benefits, you are required by law to receive payments through direct deposit to your bank or credit union account or to a Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® card:

Perhaps you read further because it is clear that anyone receiving payment by mailed check can continue that way and will unless they choose to sign up.

I am doing a similar thing as the OP for my friend and neighbour who is a veterans widow though I am a Brit.

There is a lot of advice available online but beware of dialling a "freephone" US number from Thailand.

They do tell you this in the preamble of the phone call. I accepted this and carried on but was on hold for nearly 40 minutes and 340 baht.

In amongst this advice there is the one vital detail missing.

OP does your friend have a Social Security Number from the USA?

Sadly my friend does not as her husband died before it could be done though both of her daughters have one.

Without the SSN the problems multiply.

OP please PM me if you think I may be able to both you and your friend.

Edited by billd766

2. How do I know if this requirement applies to me?

• Social Security
  • Supplemental Security Income
  • Veterans Affairs
  • Railroad Retirement Board
  • Office of Personnel Management
  • Department of Labor (Black Lung)

If you are currently receiving your payments by paper check, you are out of compliance and must switch to an electronic payment option. If you are receiving a payment on behalf of someone else (Representative Payee), please see Does this rule apply to representative payees or to people who live in nursing homes?

The will, apparently continue mailing checks. However, they will try to contact and convert the recipients. This thread started with reference to the lady's funds being wired to BKK. Not sure how that occurred.

11. Will the Treasury Department stop mailing federal benefit payment by paper check and send beneficiaries the Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® cardif they have not switched to electronic payments?

The Treasury Department has no plans to interrupt the payment of federal benefits and at this time, check payments will continue after the March 1, 2013, deadline. The Treasury will continue to contact check recipients who are not in compliance with the law and may send beneficiaries a Direct Express® card.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

• Social Security
  • Veterans Affairs
If you are currently receiving your payments by paper check, you are out of compliance and must switch to an electronic payment option. If you are receiving a payment on behalf of someone else (Representative Payee), please see Does this rule apply to representative payees or to people who live in nursing homes?

The will, apparently continue mailing checks. However, they will try to contact and convert the recipients. This thread started with reference to the lady's funds being wired to BKK. Not sure how that occurred.

11. Will the Treasury Department stop mailing federal benefit payment by paper check and send beneficiaries the Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® cardif they have not switched to electronic payments?

The Treasury Department has no plans to interrupt the payment of federal benefits and at this time, check payments will continue after the March 1, 2013, deadline. The Treasury will continue to contact check recipients who are not in compliance with the law and may send beneficiaries a Direct Express® card.

11. Will the Treasury Department stop mailing federal benefit payment by paper check and send beneficiaries the Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® cardif they have not switched to electronic payments? The Treasury will continue to contact check recipients who are not in compliance with the law and may send beneficiaries a Direct Express® card.

The Treasury Department has no plans to interrupt the payment of federal benefits and at this time, check payments will continue after the March 1, 2013, deadline.

I am an American and receive my Social Security Direct Deposit to my BBL Account every month with no problem. Must be a special account for this use only. I go to bank and get the money. BBL send me an sms which you need to set up once so that every month when the money is deposited you get the text.. Simple.

I'm not American so I cannot offer any specific advice.

However perhaps one of the US members who have responded so well could suggest which branch of BBL in CM would be best to set this up.

I think we all know, with all banks, some branches are better than others for specific transactions / banking needs etc.

Surely it's better if this lady knows which specific CM BBL branch to aim for.

Kudos to the member who started the thread.

Bangkok Bank on Tapae Road can assist you quite well. However, to be sure, go online to their website and get the help number to ask them personally.

If it is not a US government pension, there was a change in US banking regulations recently regarding the paying of pensions to people (including US citizens) with oversea home addresses. THe new banking regulation does not allow direct electronic deposits into US banks (most if not all private pensions in the US will only make electronic deposits into US banks) if the person receiving does not have a US home address on file with the pension giver. They will now send a paper check by regular mail. I speak from experience. 2-3 weeks for delivery, 2 months for check to clear. $30 charge from Thai bank. Your US government working for you!

If they are getting a non-government pension, they ought to setup a mailbox at one of those mailbox providers in the US so that they get electronic deposit........

With BKK Bank; there is no counter visit required. You first link your account in the US to BKK Bank new york, with your Thai BKK Bank account number. Then you can do free tranfers from your account to BKK Bank New York. Once it gets to NY, they will see the account number is in Thailand, and it gets done automatically, with the sliding scale fee that is quite a bit less than normal wire fees. 0-20 USD, and on the Thai side 200 THB to 500 THB maximum (.25%). If it is less than a couple of thousand, you are better off, pulling it out of Aeon, but I would like to see some pocket protector guy, do the exact break-even analysis for us. Ans as stated, if your bank in the States is charging you to send to BKK Bank NY, fire them immediately. I use CapitalOne 360...works at Aeon and works with BKK Bank. I hate bank fees...specifically B of A (one of the worst offenders).

• Social Security
  • Veterans Affairs

11. Will the Treasury Department stop mailing federal benefit payment by paper check and send beneficiaries the Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® cardif they have not switched to electronic payments? The Treasury will continue to contact check recipients who are not in compliance with the law and may send beneficiaries a Direct Express® card.

The Treasury Department has no plans to interrupt the payment of federal benefits and at this time, check payments will continue after the March 1, 2013, deadline.

You have to add the last sentence of the answer for number 11, which you left out of the quote. That sentence says they "may" send a Direct Express card. The regulation implies that the beneficiary will be changed to Direct Express if they do not select an electronic payment option.

They will not, unless something changes, just continue sending checks. You can find the regulation from the link that was provided if you are interested.

With BKK Bank; there is no counter visit required. You first link your account in the US to BKK Bank new york, with your Thai BKK Bank account number. Then you can do free tranfers from your account to BKK Bank New York. Once it gets to NY, they will see the account number is in Thailand, and it gets done automatically, with the sliding scale fee that is quite a bit less than normal wire fees. 0-20 USD, and on the Thai side 200 THB to 500 THB maximum (.25%). If it is less than a couple of thousand, you are better off, pulling it out of Aeon, but I would like to see some pocket protector guy, do the exact break-even analysis for us. Ans as stated, if your bank in the States is charging you to send to BKK Bank NY, fire them immediately. I use CapitalOne 360...works at Aeon and works with BKK Bank. I hate bank fees...specifically B of A (one of the worst offenders).

In your scenario you would be correct - no counter visit required. However, if the funds are direct deposited to Bangkok Bank, New York, and not to another institution first, a counter visit is required. This was covered in another post on this thread as "proof of life" or something to that effect.

In your scenario you would be correct - no counter visit required. However, if the funds are direct deposited to Bangkok Bank, New York, and not to another institution first, a counter visit is required. This was covered in another post on this thread as "proof of life" or something to that effect.

Some folks like to do things the hard way. Who wouldn't already have an account with an ATM they could use at Aeon, that would also allow you to transfer it to BKK Bank NY.

Greetings fellow expats, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine, her English is quite good but the bureaucrats at the U.S. consulate naturally try their best to overcomplicate procedures as much as their vocabulary to discourage as many people as possible. Ok enough of my whining here's the situation, from what I understand she's a U.S. citizen who gets a pension from her late husband, she tells me the money is wired to BKK, then to Chiang Mai and then they do what only America still does, they write a check and mail it (normal mail, not insured mail, not express mail). To make a long story short, sometimes the check doesn't arrive via mail (stuck somewhere, lost, whatever) and she gets into problems because she's got rent to pay etc. So she's asking if it's possible that either the BKK consulate or bank or whoever is involved there or the Chiang Mai folks can just wire the money over to her Thai bank account? So the question: "Is it possible for a pension to be transferred to an account without checks and snail mail?"

Thanks in advance guys/gals,

Bas (on behalf of Ms. Harris)

I am thoroughly confused by this description of how the pension funds are routed. No offense intended.

Your saying that the money is wired to BKK and then to Chiang Mai and then a check is sent out??? That's sounds preposterous.

Which American company has a pension representative in Chiang Mai to mail out checks?

I would like to suggest that the beneficiary really has no idea how her check is processed or who it's from. I have a few suggestions to help her out.

Please find out if she has any prior statements/photo copies/W2/1099 forms to identify who is paying her the money. Since she is a USA citizen the information can probably also be found by looking at any of her or husbands prior years mandatory income tax filing.

If it turns out to be Social Security, military pension, a private company pension or whatever once the source is identified you will get much better advice.

I've worked very hard to try to explain to my wife where our money comes from but its confusing and I know she still doesn't understand it all. I've even written a document for her to read after I'm gone to try to help her and I'm trying to setup our accounts so they will still work for her.

I commend you in trying to help this lady!

My wife also is worry what she needs to do if I pass away. I am an American and she is Thai, not an American citizen, do not speak English, and dot have US SS number. She will need my modest retirement to keep life going...Can you tell me what you did to help your wife in the same case? Thank you.

Sam

Saudade53 at hotmail

Some folks like to do things the hard way. Who wouldn't already have an account with an ATM they could use at Aeon, that would also allow you to transfer it to BKK Bank NY.

I am not sure. You could ask someone in that situation why. There have been posts on TV with people saying they have their US government funds direct deposited to Bangkok Bank, New York.

I could also see that the person referred to in the original post possibly being in that situation. Perhaps a Thai that had been married to a foreigner who is now deceased would want to live in Thailand and it could be difficult to have a financial institution in the US. Not everyone has the same situation.

Asked:

My wife also is worry what she needs to do if I pass away. I am an American and she is Thai, not an American citizen, do not speak English, and dot have US SS number. She will need my modest retirement to keep life going...Can you tell me what you did to help your wife in the same case? Thank you.

Sam

Saudade53 at hotmail

Not much you can do unfortunately. THe rules for US SS is that for a wife to receive survivors benefits she must have resided in the US for I think it's 2 years and have a SS #. No exceptions. Looked into this in detail about 3 years ago for a friend that died here who had married a THai lady just 6 months before he passed away.

Greetings fellow expats, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine, her English is quite good but the bureaucrats at the U.S. consulate naturally try their best to overcomplicate procedures as much as their vocabulary to discourage as many people as possible. Ok enough of my whining here's the situation, from what I understand she's a U.S. citizen who gets a pension from her late husband, she tells me the money is wired to BKK, then to Chiang Mai and then they do what only America still does, they write a check and mail it (normal mail, not insured mail, not express mail). To make a long story short, sometimes the check doesn't arrive via mail (stuck somewhere, lost, whatever) and she gets into problems because she's got rent to pay etc. So she's asking if it's possible that either the BKK consulate or bank or whoever is involved there or the Chiang Mai folks can just wire the money over to her Thai bank account? So the question: "Is it possible for a pension to be transferred to an account without checks and snail mail?"

Thanks in advance guys/gals,

Bas (on behalf of Ms. Harris)

I am thoroughly confused by this description of how the pension funds are routed. No offense intended.

Your saying that the money is wired to BKK and then to Chiang Mai and then a check is sent out??? That's sounds preposterous.

Which American company has a pension representative in Chiang Mai to mail out checks?

I would like to suggest that the beneficiary really has no idea how her check is processed or who it's from. I have a few suggestions to help her out.

Please find out if she has any prior statements/photo copies/W2/1099 forms to identify who is paying her the money. Since she is a USA citizen the information can probably also be found by looking at any of her or husbands prior years mandatory income tax filing.

If it turns out to be Social Security, military pension, a private company pension or whatever once the source is identified you will get much better advice.

I've worked very hard to try to explain to my wife where our money comes from but its confusing and I know she still doesn't understand it all. I've even written a document for her to read after I'm gone to try to help her and I'm trying to setup our accounts so they will still work for her.

I commend you in trying to help this lady!

Sam

Saudade53 at hotmail

You have to do all the work for her now so she doesn't have to figure it all out by herself later. It's a great deal of work.

1. Call S.S. tell them your/ your wife's situation / location and find out what she may be entitled to after your death. It could very easily be Zero $. Wife's are not automatically entitled to benefits.

2. Make her part of your yearly income tax filing. With a tax payer identification number for her.

3. If you have a private company pension call them and find out what she may be entitled to after your death. It could be Zero $.

4. Once you have the answers Write out everything for her. Read it to her. Question her about it. Have her explain to you what she will do when your gone. Who she will contact and how. Make sure she already knows what she should receive so if she gets a wrong answer she can fight it instead of accept it. Make sure you include your will, taxes, addresses, telephone numbers, all financial information. Give it to her in one envelope and have her put it away for when you kick the bucket.

• Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup,

Confirming Khun FolkGuitar's original post (re US Social Security): when I applied for SS, in late 2011, I did it by direct phone contact with the big office in the Philippines. I had a formal "interview" over the phone, which was recorded, and which required me to "swear an oath" of the type found in legal proceedings in the US, and I attested truly that I was not (now) more than 50% Orangutan, even though I fervently wished I could be.

As I recall, the American Consulate here did have an application form, which I filled out, and mailed by EMS to the office in the Philippines, to get the ball rolling.

At that time, my initial phone contact with that SS office advised me that they would only send payment to Thailand via a special foreign currency direct deposit account (FCDDA) using Bangkok Bank. That was convenient, for me, because I already used Bangkok Bank.

All incoming US $ from SS are first received by the international division of BB in Bangkok, and after conversion to Baht, then put in the account in Bangkok. You are not allowed to have an ATM card for a FCDDA account ... I was told in late 2011. So, I go and transfer funds from the FCDDA to my regular account, as needed

Bangkok Bank has a no-fee service you can ask for that will notify you by SMS to your phone when the FCDDA has received funds (they arrive usually on the 3rd. of the month).

I have noticed an interesting thing: the net Baht I receive, monthly, appears to reflect a better rate of $ => Baht than that listed at the bank on the day of the funds transfer.

My experiences, over the phone, with the people at the SS office in the Philippines were quite pleasant, and they were very helpful, if sometimes hard to reach.

~o:37;

• Like 1

Remember Bangkok Bank NY is a US Bank. It is not a Thai Bank. I've also found that my US HSBC account might as well be a Zion Bank account, when it comes to using HSBC atms abroad. I think a Thai citizen would have a very difficult time opening a BKK Bank NY account without the SSN. They will answer the phone during normal business hours. My bank linked to BKK Bank NY by doing the trial deposit method. A small problem was it was converted to THB so quickly I had two pretty good choices for both deposits, especially since the THB had been fluctuating quite a bit.

Remember Bangkok Bank NY is a US Bank. It is not a Thai Bank. I've also found that my US HSBC account might as well be a Zion Bank account, when it comes to using HSBC atms abroad. I think a Thai citizen would have a very difficult time opening a BKK Bank NY account without the SSN. They will answer the phone during normal business hours. My bank linked to BKK Bank NY by doing the trial deposit method. A small problem was it was converted to THB so quickly I had two pretty good choices for both deposits, especially since the THB had been fluctuating quite a bit.

Further, it is a wholesale bank. Not quite the same as going in to your local BoA branch, for instance,and conducting personal financial transactions. I think to use Bangkok Bank's international service for what is being discussed here the person must already have a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

"Bangkok Banks New York branch is a US federal chartered branch which functions as a wholesale bank. There are many services available including trade finance, corporate lending, remittances and deposit accounts. The New York branch is a member of all major US dollar clearing systems, including ACH which facilitates the payment of social security, retirement benefits, and E-Commerce."

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

Asked:

Sam

Saudade53 at hotmail

Not much you can do unfortunately. THe rules for US SS is that for a wife to receive survivors benefits she must have resided in the US for I think it's 2 years and have a SS #. No exceptions. Looked into this in detail about 3 years ago for a friend that died here who had married a THai lady just 6 months before he passed away.

She has to have resided in the USA for 5 years living with you as your spouse ..... If thats not the case all she can get is one time death benifits ............

Asked:

Sam

Saudade53 at hotmail

She has to have resided in the USA for 5 years living with you as your spouse ..... If thats not the case all she can get is one time death benifits ............

For Rama,

I believe BB is right. In addition:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0460.htm As far as I read the regulation, I don't recall it mentioning a surviving widow. However, I got to the regulation through a survivor's questions regarding benefits. These online questions referred to this regulation. The questions are in the PAYMENTS ABROAD SCREENING TOOL on the SS web site.

You really should contact SS to get your answers. You can probably contact SS in Manila.

Edited by hml367

Even with the best of intentions, unfortunately a great deal of of the information offered in this thread is incorrect.

In the opening post it was declared that she is a US Citizen. None of the time limits discussed apply to her.

I advised that she Call Social Security in Manila describe the situation and ask them.

It's the only way.

Otherwise they would be relying on us " <deleted> house lawyers"

She deserves better!

Even with the best of intentions, unfortunately a great deal of of the information offered in this thread is incorrect.

In the opening post it was declared that she is a US Citizen. None of the time limits discussed apply to her.

I advised that she Call Social Security in Manila describe the situation and ask them.

It's the only way.

Otherwise they would be relying on us " <deleted> house lawyers"

She deserves better!

Someone asked about their own Thai, non-US citizen wife when he dies. Seems the time limits would apply in that case.

Unfortunately I can't agree. That same spouse could move back to the USA and then perhaps qualify for SS because they were resident.

Your advice and mine are dead on in one respect. Call Social Security

That goes for the guy asking about children also.