Thai Navy celebrates Submarine Day

webfact

Thai Navy celebrates Submarine Day

BANGKOK, 5 September 2013 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Navy has celebrated the 76th anniversary of Submarine Day, saying that submarines are vital to the country's strong military foundation.

Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Navy Adm. Narong Pipatanasai, during the celebration of Submarine Day, said the navy has to have submarines in order to defend the country against a threat, especially in closed sea areas. If those areas are invaded, the country’s water transport will be cut off completely.

Although submarines are considered important weapons, the Thai Navy does not have one in possession. However, groups of marines have been sent to foreign countries like South Korea, Germany, and Spain, to learn about submarines.

Adm. Narong has, however, assured that despite the fact that Thailand does not have a submarine, the Thai Navy has already prepared armaments in case of emergency. In addition, Thai marines have undergone heavy training and drills in order for them to be well prepared to fight off submarine threats.

T The best strategy to fight against a submarine is to use a submarine, said the Admiral, while affirming that the procurement of armaments will be conducted based on transparency and the rule of law, not a decision to be made by any single individual.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-05 footer_n.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Closed sea areas'... are they talking about the gulf of Thai ??? if so subs would be stupid as the water depth is an average of 30 meters, I think.

In these enclosed waters any threat from who??? who on earth would venture into a U shaped gulf, (surface vessels) when these would be easy pickings for fast torpedo boats, and aircraft such as the Grifen . no enemy sub would dare to come into 30 meters of sea- suicide .

Subs not needed, only for toys and "WE have them"

• Like 2

The Thai Navy did have 4 subs at one point (from 1938 to 1951) though it doesn't appear that they were very useful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchanu-class_submarine

As well, they could have more in the future as well:

• Submarine procurement - In April 2011, Royal Thai Navy allocated up to 7.7 billion baht for the purpose of acquiring six used and modernized Type 206 A submarines from the German Navy.[11]However, an approval from cabinet was still pending when parliament was dissolved in May 2011.[12]

Hope they get a better deal from the Germans than the Canadians got from the Brits. whistling.gif

Must.....not.....bash..... Must.....not.......bash... Ok I cannot resist. This must clearly be the stupidest

idea of the week . It has been said before , but I will still repeat it. You could not possibly make this stuff up.

Sometimes I feel like I am living in the world of Alice in Wonderland.

1. Thailand does not have a submarine.

2. This idea of having a submarine has already been shot down big time

by a high authority.

I now eagerly look forward to supersonic transport day.....

• Like 2

<deleted> no-one has said SUB HUB!!whistling.gif

The navy boys must be getting a little distressed, they want some new toys. Who could possibly be a threat against Thailand?

Samoa has some war canoes.

Edited by itchybum
  • Like 1

"However, groups of marines have been sent to foreign countries like South Korea, Germany, and Spain, to learn about submarines."

The only reason I can think of for this is that some rich, spoilt brat wants a sub for his 13th birthday - sailors already trained, thank you. Or maybe one of the several hundred generals fancies himself as Karl Stromberg.

'Closed sea areas'... are they talking about the gulf of Thai ??? if so subs would be stupid as the water depth is an average of 30 meters, I think.

In these enclosed waters any threat from who??? who on earth would venture into a U shaped gulf, (surface vessels) when these would be easy pickings for fast torpedo boats, and aircraft such as the Grifen . no enemy sub would dare to come into 30 meters of sea- suicide .

Subs not needed, only for toys and "WE have them"

Average water depth is about double what you have said, but the fact remain's...even at 60-65m wouldnt be hard to pick up from the air, further predicting route a sub will take will be pretty easy, as a enemy sub deciding to head up the middle of gulf will run the risk of driving into one of many offshore platforms, piplines or other sub-sea O&G structures...the sub captain would have to have a lot of balls to even try and negotiate that lot...so in essence they would only come up the west side or east side of the gulf.