Do you think you would ever fit in back "home" if you returned?

smooth expat

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From experience, 1 easily adapts back in homecountry. The "relatepart" is or can be an issue in contact with others who never lived abroad. The 1 thing i liked living in LOS that i never read any newspapers so hardly knew what was happening back home. After a while i never even read the bangkok post anymore.

Hope for you that you do not need to go back soon.

I have always been a 'misfit'. In my own country of origin. Than in my second country of origin. This is my third one, and I am still a 'misfit'.

Must admit that I was more or less comfortable in all three. But never 'fitting in'.

Most likely it is my personality. It was formed in no good environment (and it does not mean mum and dad).

• Like 1

Home? Let me think: born in Germany, raised in Kenya, hotel school in Switzerland, stints in Luxembourg, Dubai, China, 20 years in SE Asia. Darn, I don't know where home is!

similar to me, never had or wanted to have the time develop that low-cal attachment. always something better to find or do over the next horizon. yes and in some places you do find your paradise but it is all fleeting and hidden among the many dead end not suitable traps. now its just putting one foot in front of the other with no aim except waiting it out. stopped looking. perhaps i've achieved nirvana 555cheesy.gif

Edited by lenna00
  • Like 1

From experience, 1 easily adapts back in homecountry. The "relatepart" is or can be an issue in contact with others who never lived abroad. The 1 thing i liked living in LOS that i never read any newspapers so hardly knew what was happening back home. After a while i never even read the bangkok post anymore.

Hope for you that you do not need to go back soon.

I live and worked here for +20 years,to live in Belgium again would be a disaster for me, when I seen how the country is going down and the cost of living getting up,up The weather is also a problem for me, I visit my country once a year to visit my children and my aunt, the only thing I mis is the food there.

• Like 1

No, I would never fit in if I had to return to the UK. I would find it hard to return to my old job as a Professional Musician or Private Investigator. I would refuse to pay council Tax as I would not scrimp on eating or heating, which I would not afford on benefits. Yes, as far as I know people on benefits still have to pay council tax, even with a rebate. I would end up in jail for not paying it. As I said, I would always make sure I was eating well and use the heating. That would probably mean I would have to use methods that some people would not approve of. But I would never do anything against the ordinary working class people.

• Like 2

gonna find out in a few weeks after 8 years in Thailand back to Holland for a few months

still have good contact with family and friends through FB and Skype

but already dislike the wheather i'm going to

20C. feels like freezing to me

but we will manage anyway

• Like 1

Quick aside: For 5 years I lived in New York City in an older apartment building that still had a manually operated elevator. When the building employee maneuvered the elevator to my floor I would get off and then turn to him and say 'Thank you'. Problem was this became so habitual that when I would get off the automated elevator in a modern NYC office building and would turn and say 'Thank you' and the people remaining in the elevator would look at me as a nut-case.

So when I go back to the US, I do things that I habitually do in Thailand and probably don't readjust until it's time to go back again -- like saying 'Kaap maak' at the US grocery store.

I came back for 9 weeks to finish selling my crap, buying things I can't get there and locking up some banking, medical and other things, I could have done it in 4 weeks, maybe 5 if I was the motivated type, and I'm already burned out.

Burned out on the people mostly. I hate thugs and oxygen thieves and there's too many here. I noticed it as soon as I landed...hahaha

I've already put on 10 lbs.

Looking forward to returning to LOS...and I was only there for 5 months before I left...hahaha

Easy to go off topic here, but I'll stay on post.

I've never really been a conformist, so no... I wouldn't "fit" in.
IF, I feel a need to leave LOS, it won't be back to the US.... sorry, love my country, but I'll stay away from the people.