Advice needed: Income in Thailand, whilst residing abroad ?!

A simple solution to the the question about pension income being taxable here is another question. Have you been asked to pay taxes?

The answer would be a resounding no.

Do you think the government would let you not pay the taxes if it was due?

Edited by ubonjoe

It will be quite interesting, dare I say amusing, to see the reaction on here, if the Thai Revenue started trying to tax inward remittances ( pensions etc ) which I would think the revenue code allows them to do.

Probably they haven't thought of it yet.

Maybe soon they will.

It will be quite interesting, dare I say amusing, to see the reaction on here, if the Thai Revenue started trying to tax inward remittances ( pensions etc ) which I would think the revenue code allows them to do.

Maybe soon they will.

It is not going to happen. The tax code does not include any pension income.

Think of how much is gained by the government from not taxing it.

IE foreign currency inflow, money spent that goes into the economy and etc.

Edited by ubonjoe

Maybe soon they will.

I doubt izz

It would seem the concept of "Double Taxation Treaties" is beyond the comprehension of some.

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 1

Apparently even most of those that have a tax treaty would be subject to Thai taxes as well. This would include those who retire in Thailand & their foreign pension income.

Kindly provide specific documentary evidence (in the form of weblinks) in support of this sweeping assertion.

See post 18 this thread.* Also:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/85658-thai-retirement-visa-holder-pays-thai-taxes/#

*Which has been refuted by post #20 IMHO.

#Which dates back to 2006 and may well now be old hat!

The UK has had a double taxation treaty with Thailand since 1981.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxtreaties/in-force/t.htm

I suspect that all major Western countries will have similar arrangements.

I am not required to pay tax in Thailand on UK sourced income.

edit

correction of quoted date

Neither am I, only to HMRC back in the UK. And staying in Thailand as I do on annual retirement extensions, I am not permitted to generate any income here in any event.

Edited by OJAS

Maybe soon they will.

It is not going to happen. The tax code does not include any pension income.

Think of how much is gained by the government from not taxing it.

IE foreign currency inflow, money spent that goes into the economy and etc.

It could happen. Even if it didn't on a large scale, there is always the risk of being ratted out or otherwise caught from having loose lips or an enemy. After all, TIT.

I've already quoted the Thai tax code saying foreign income incl pensions are taxable. If you think otherwise, then go talk to some Thai tax lawyers, file your return indicating how much you owe & see if they refuse to take your money.

Residents are required to file a tax return. Very large penalties exist if you don't & owe taxes.

If the attitude of government is as you say, it would be easy for Thailand to revise the tax code so that foreign income is not taxable like in Singapore & Hong Kong.

Apparently even most of those that have a tax treaty would be subject to Thai taxes as well. This would include those who retire in Thailand & their foreign pension income.

Kindly provide specific documentary evidence (in the form of weblinks) in support of this sweeping assertion.

See post 18 this thread.* Also:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/85658-thai-retirement-visa-holder-pays-thai-taxes/#

*Which has been refuted by post #20 IMHO.

#Which dates back to 2006 and may well now be old hat!

Post 20 only gave an opinion on one country, not most, so is not a refutation.

BTW, the link above seems to disagree with that opinion in a number of separate posts.

Also the latest Thai-USA tax treaty predates 2006 by quite a few years.

Maybe soon they will.

"There was a time - about 30 odd years ago when farangs who stayed in Thailand longer than

90 days could not leave the country without producing a tax clearance certificate from the

tax office. It was a terrible hassle and we all had to troop down to the tax office and pay

tax on 'deemed' income - even if we hadn't earned anything."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/568118-has-anyone-a-story-to-tell-ref-thai-tax-on-retirement-pension-payments/