Thai police call sexual harassment claim a "nonsense case"

webfact

Thai police call sexual harassment claim a "nonsense case"
By Coconuts Bangkok

THAILAND: -- An allegation of police insensitivity to a sexual harassment victim is drawing criticism on the internet today after a story recounting the incident was posted on Pantip Thailand’s largest online forum.

The post, from the harassment victim’s friend, claims that a homeless man touched her friend’s breast, but that when the woman reported the case to the local police they shrugged it off.

From Pantip:

“My friend took a van to university, and a man in the back seat reached out and grabbed her breast, so she told the driver to take her to the police station. People in the van complained and said she didn’t have to make a big deal out of it, so instead the driver called the police for her.

The van stopped and waited for the police’s arrival. The entire time people in the van were frustrated and complaining to her. The police took all of us to the station for questioning, but all we got was ‘people wouldn’t come to the police with a nonsense case like this’. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/06/thai-police-call-sexual-harassment-claim-nonsense-case

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-06

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not often I agree with the Thai police, but seriously ??? Stupid and of course it should not happen, but hardly a case for Thailands finest ? whistling.gif

Offender looking forward to the reinactment !!giggle.gif

So who should he report the harrassement ?

If not the police who?

Or you think she should just forget about it?

just curious

• Like 1

Depending on the situation and conversations in the van at the time, is what would clear things up, it couldn't have been serious otherwise,all the other passengers wouldn't be saying waste of time, of course no one has the right to touch anybody anywhere, secondly if he is homeless,what should we do,hang him? was he drunk? is he mentally unstable? a slap in the face would have worked and amused the spectators..IMHO...giggle.gif

• Like 1

I have worked with Thai companies for over 20 years, and I have seen many people fired for sexual harassment. When the person went to the local labor court and complained about unjust firing, The company was found to have taken the correct action. All cases were documented and records kept. coffee1.gif

Edited by tomross46

In another post I was told that a good reporter should establish when, where, how and by who all these facts are missing leading me to believe maybe it only happened in the reporters mind as there is a big issue with sexual harassment on public transport at the moment.

• Like 2

she could be an attention seeker, did anyone witness the groping? if not just her word against his

Of course the police should be interested in checking that out.

The Indian police have a similar piss pore attitude to any kind of sexual harassment or assault charges. They wouldn't do anything even if they saw it. Hope the RTP can be a little bit more like a real police force one day, and actually uphold the law.

Not often I agree with the Thai police, but seriously ??? Stupid and of course it should not happen, but hardly a case for Thailands finest ? whistling.gif

Offender looking forward to the reinactment !!giggle.gif

Probably did it to see how pissed off she could get strangers to be at her.

Sexual harassment is a real thing and should be punished. But their is a limit to what is sexual harassment and what is not. It also will vary from person to person. I have known women that would yell sexual harassment if you touched them lightly on the shoulder.

So...other people were frustrated, so she should not feel harassed?

When is the harassment report- worthy?

When he gropes her under her skirt?

When less people are made inconvenient by the woman who has been harassed?

When it is YOUR daughter, who was touched and groped by a stranger on a bus?

When is a harrassment report worthy? When it is serious and when it can't be dealt with by the people on the spot. In this case, a clever woman would have just shamed the man verbally in the eyes of all the other passengers. That would have been enough to punish most Thai men and make them pretty reluctant to do it again. Those are the two things the woman should want. A clever woman wouldn't have to go to the police over it. I guess this was not a clever woman.

So...other people were frustrated, so she should not feel harassed?

When is the harassment report- worthy?

When he gropes her under her skirt?

When less people are made inconvenient by the woman who has been harassed?

When it is YOUR daughter, who was touched and groped by a stranger on a bus?

Bravo, I was finding it hard to believe that the vast majority of posters here had no sympathy whatsoever for the girl and found it perfectly acceptable behaviour for a total stranger to fondle someone on public transport.

As you so rightly say, would their response be different if it happened to be their daughter? I think the answer is a resounding YES!

• Like 2