illegal organ harvesting in thailand

Mur

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What "system"? What are you talking about?

Think about it. How could it possibly work? You think a load of guys roam about South East Asia randomly killing people, and within the 12 hours a liver can last after death, they take the dead body to a surgeon, remove the liver, test for tissue antigens, identify a recipient, and transport it successfully, intact? Who are these guys? They'd need to have an organisation rivalling NASA. They must have a 3 storey pile of discarded livers somewhere that didn't match anybody..

Really you must be able to see how unlikely this is.

• Like 1

<snip>

Like you pointed out, Thailand has a huge eye bank, but there is a lengthy waiting list. Some person who lost an eye in an accident, can't wait on a list. That sort of thing would need pretty much instant attention don't you think?

<snip>

If someone lost their eye in an accident, they wouldn't be getting instant attention by flying into Thailand as a medical tourist.

Someone is spiining you a whopper.

All over the world these stories are told and that is all that they ever are, stories.

When I lived in England the urban ledgend was that people were being drugged in nightclubs and waking up in an ice bath minus a kidney.

Do you really believe that if this had happened no media sources would have picked up the story by now?

you didnt read about the case in china a few days ago then. I saw it on yahoo news and in printed form. I wish I could believe that people are'nt capable of such things, but sadly I know they are, and you would be naive to think that they are'nt I would say

If they are capable of steeling organs, they will not leave any money.

My Thai ex-husband was convinced this had happened to his brother. The family only discovered he had died several months after but the main thinking behind it was that the brother had been able to sign himself into hospital after a motorbike accident. Therefore, not suffering from any life threatening injuries. No family came for him and he 'died' several days later. This led the family to believe he had been targeted for organs/corneas but who knows. I certainly wouldn't like to be left alone in a Thai hospital.

I'm picturing the "Floating Organ Market" where harvesters, with their red & white Playmate coolers ply the waters selling the organs they harvested over the last few weeks. You can choose your organs, then go to a nearby hut with an operating room and arrange the transplant ("cooking style").

Bargain shoppers can go to "wet organ markets" where the organs hang on hooks, then take them home. This is for the DIY crowd.

I do feel sorry for the older man who ends up with the little girl eyes! "My grandpa, what small eyes you have." Of course, with these eyes you'd only be able to check out cute young males!

I'm picturing the "Floating Organ Market" where harvesters, with their red & white Playmate coolers ply the waters selling the organs they harvested over the last few weeks. You can choose your organs, then go to a nearby hut with an operating room and arrange the transplant ("cooking style").

Bargain shoppers can go to "wet organ markets" where the organs hang on hooks, then take them home. This is for the DIY crowd.

I do feel sorry for the older man who ends up with the little girl eyes! "My grandpa, what small eyes you have." Of course, with these eyes you'd only be able to check out cute young males!

You wouldn't want to get palmed off with a bag of monkey nuts.

SC

Illegal organ harvesting has been happening for a long time in India, if this story is true then it may mean that the practice is spreading to other parts of Asia now.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All over the world these stories are told and that is all that they ever are, stories.

When I lived in England the urban ledgend was that people were being drugged in nightclubs and waking up in an ice bath minus a kidney.

Do you really believe that if this had happened no media sources would have picked up the story by now?

Good point. Though, it is happening in China daily. And it appears to be a government sanctioned operation, and is directed at the Fulan Gang sect. Pretty heinous, but would you put anything past the Chinese government, which is perhaps the worlds greatest human rights offender?

On the bridge connection at BTS On Nut to Tesco Lotus there is always a woman beggar with no eye balls. I wonder, why she has lost her eyes and who did that to her? But my Thai is not good enough yet to ask.

Or is it possible to be born without eye balls?

This reminds me of the story of an inmate in the Bangkok Hilton who had a constant itch on his face and couldn't help but scratch. After a few days in incessant scratching he broke the skin, and a bunch of baby cockroaches emerged. The story went that a cocky had laid eggs in his butt a week or two previously whilst he was asleep. Yawn! Not more of the same. If this is true, I'll drop my duds and flash my knob in Sukhumvit Soi 3 at peak hour. Oops, that's already been done by a drunk.German, and Swede, and Brit, and Australian, and...............

This is about the most preposterous story I've seen for some time. Tell me about an illegal trade in organs where peasants are paid a few hundred baht for a kidney, etc., and I just may think it possible.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Selling an organ is legal in Iran (but you must be Iranian to receive one.) It was legal in the Philippines until recently. However, the black market in organ transplants is estimate to make a small but significant portion of organ transplants worldwide.

While it is possible that there have been some involuntary harvesting, people being people, it is certain that the vast majority of the harvests are done with the voluntary cooperation of the donor. Some notable cases of involuntary harvesting turned out to be donors filing false police reports after the fact (in one notable case in the UK , the Pakistani man claiming his kidney was taken involuntarily was found to have the advertising in Pakistan offering money for his kidney. He recanted his claim after that.)

In India, claims of fraud have been more common with people being promised money, but then no money was paid.

In China, the big issue was the harvesting of organs from executed prisoners. Prisoners now must sign a release to enable their organs to be donated.

From a medical standpoint, the entire abducting people from the street and harvesting their organs is unfeasible. It just won't work, and unless a recipient is a child, a child's organs would not even work for an adult even being harvested in a hospital (except for the liver--that could work.) Additionally, "eyes" are never harvested, only corneas.

As a young man in Guatamala, I was walking off the beaten path when young, attractive woman started paralleling me, watching me like a hawk. I figured at the time that she was attracted by my manly physique, amazing good looks, and suave demeanor, superb ladies man that I was. I was a bit surprised that she never approached me, but I put that off to shyness.

After I made it back to my hotel and read the paper, it turns out that an American woman was beaten to death by villagers the day before who thought she was there to steal the kidneys of children, then take them back to the USA for big money. (The "missing child" who prompted that conclusion turned up that evening having gone off with a relative.)

I then realized that instead of being interested in my own anatomy, she must have thought I was there to harvest bits of the local children's anatomy and was keeping an eye on me to prevent that.

Gotta hate those eye-stealing baddies.

They are also stealing brains. It seems that they steal brains also do I need to say more

Yeah, and I heard Irish ones are the most sought after as they are generally low mileage. Haha sorry couldn't resist that. Lighten up guy, its the weekend!

you didnt read about the case in china a few days ago then. I saw it on yahoo news and in printed form. I wish I could believe that people are'nt capable of such things, but sadly I know they are, and you would be naive to think that they are'nt I would say

I do not believe this has or is happening anywhere in Thailand. China is another matter and I was told some years ago in Europe that after convicted are executed in China , which unfortunately takes place very often, parts of their bodies are being sold. Some years ago I met a lady in Europe who told me that her husband had been saved by a heart transplant this way. She had been told by her doctors in Europe that there was no chance to have a heart transplant in Europe in time, and was advised to go to China and was even given the address to approach.

This was a few years ago and I wouldn't know if it still happens in China. I am absolutely certain it DOES NOT happen in Thailand.

While I do believe there have been some cases like described here, I think the vast majority of these stories are pure fantasy. Hard to believe the van story. Why would someone risk having their van identified after kidnapping the woman and harvesting her organs??

Edited by HerbalEd

Selling an organ is legal in Iran (but you must be Iranian to receive one.) It was legal in the Philippines until recently. However, the black market in organ transplants is estimate to make a small but significant portion of organ transplants worldwide.

While it is possible that there have been some involuntary harvesting, people being people, it is certain that the vast majority of the harvests are done with the voluntary cooperation of the donor. Some notable cases of involuntary harvesting turned out to be donors filing false police reports after the fact (in one notable case in the UK , the Pakistani man claiming his kidney was taken involuntarily was found to have the advertising in Pakistan offering money for his kidney. He recanted his claim after that.)

In India, claims of fraud have been more common with people being promised money, but then no money was paid.

In China, the big issue was the harvesting of organs from executed prisoners. Prisoners now must sign a release to enable their organs to be donated.

From a medical standpoint, the entire abducting people from the street and harvesting their organs is unfeasible. It just won't work, and unless a recipient is a child, a child's organs would not even work for an adult even being harvested in a hospital (except for the liver--that could work.) Additionally, "eyes" are never harvested, only corneas.

Exactly right. At last someone who knows what they are talking about.

• Like 1

it is possible but just doesnt make sense.

thailand have a relatively huge eye bank, though with a pretty long waiting list. doesnt make both economic and medical sense for any buyers to go that route when you could bypass the waiting list

and for the latter story, it is just medically impossible given the time lapse, and a sum of money along the body? you kidding me?

you had probably paid for the sick buffalo before, had you?

How did you find out that Thailand has a huge eye bank? They don't even have negative blood in their blood banks. Hope your wife's buffalo has recovered.

In poor countries its much more likely to be paid donations. India for example has a known problem with organ supermarkets. These need to be done like this because there is a lot of expensive testing and set up costs, registering and matching takes computers systems and specific software and tissue matching etc. You can not just grab a kid off the street and whip out his eyes and hope to fins a match - the organs last (are viable) a very short time. It makes not financial sense to attack kids for organs when they can be purchased from the poor with relative safety - and without the risk of investigation as tons of bodies are found missing organs (real medical set up are required and after care for the donor - this is why they are so expensive! - plus the middle-man mark up of course).

There is a possibility that parents (relatives) could sign a kid in their family up for donation with less than scrupulous organ-salesmen, take the kid for tests etc on some pretence - and when the time comes the kids wakes up in hospital minus certain organs (post match of course) - but very unlikely and risky for all involved.

• Like 1

MUR keeps using the reported chinese boys eye gouging as his basis that this is happening.

What he isn't adding is that further reports state the boys eyes were found nearby AND a crazed aunt who later commited suicide is believed to have done the gouging.