Do you use a Credit Card in Thailand?

It sounds like the cashier charged extra to your card so he could be ahead with the payments for the petrol dispensed from the pump. In credit if you will.

Then he could pocket the cash from other customers making a purchase later in the day and still keep the pump in balance.

Exactly right.

I restrict my CC to large purchases from reputable businesses, e.g. Thai Airways, Sizzler thumbsup.gif , Robinsons, and hotels.

I have never had a problem with my Amex, although my recent MC transaction was blocked with the Hilton because it was deemed "suspicious". In the space of 2 years, I had multiple fraud attempts with my Visa card, usually following a trip to BKK or HKG. I lay the blame at a 5* airport hotel in Hong Kong as the frauds occurred shortly after staying there and were the only transactions within 2 weeks .I got rid of my Visa card. Never had a fraud situation in Thailand.

Yes, have used the CC for the 6 years that I have been here. This is the first problem.

A couple of years ago my wife & I went to Seam Reap as part of my border run. Stayed in a hotel there. At the time the USD was 30THB but they tried to charge us 40THB so I paid at the hotel with my credit card. Five minutes later I got a call from my AUssie Bank to check the transaction (very impressed)!

Airlines only.

390 baht? Consider yourself lucky. A few years back, I had a fraudulent $1500 charge (yes, dollars) through a where shop I bought a $100 gift. They ran it through a Russian merchant visa account called Ali Baba Bar. Never again.

Yes, I got it credited back, but it was a pain and time consuming. Once you claim fraud, the card is cancelled, and they have to issue a new one and get it here.

What is a 'where shop'? Is this a spelling error or a euphemism?

Or am I missing something

The Australian banks allow you to query a transaction. They will only reverse it after contacting the vendor though. This time, after I sorted it out rang them to cancel the query. Thank goodness for Skype.

I use my no foreign transaction fee U.S. credit card whenever I can which provides me 2% cash back on most buys in Thailand like at Big C, Lotus, FoodLand, fuel at gas stations to keep my SUV running and 1% on everything else. Usually use it for anything costing more than Bt300 to Bt500 depending on what the store's policy is for the minimum purchase amount to use a credit card. But like at my nearby Tesco Lotus store I use it all the time even for purchases of less than Bt300 as they don't seem to have a minimum amount to make a charge. I use it as much as possible instead of cash for the past two years primarily because of the cash back reward...and as mentioned no foreign transaction fee. No problems to date....knock on wood (my head)...my card also sends me an email within seconds of any "international" transaction....sometimes I get the email before I've had time to leave the checkout counter...other times it takes a few minutes. Since I get 2% cash back on most things I like to think of it as I'm only paying 5% VAT versus 7%.

That's fine, but have you ever calculated the exchange rate they give you? There is never something for nothing at a bank??

Airlines only.

390 baht? Consider yourself lucky. A few years back, I had a fraudulent $1500 charge (yes, dollars) through a where shop I bought a $100 gift. They ran it through a Russian merchant visa account called Ali Baba Bar. Never again.

Yes, I got it credited back, but it was a pain and time consuming. Once you claim fraud, the card is cancelled, and they have to issue a new one and get it here.

What is a 'where shop'? Is this a spelling error or a euphemism?

Or am I missing something

No, its not what you are thinking. He meant to say 'shop where i bought....'

For the reasons pointed out by the OP and the fact that many outlets do not accept credit cards and the fact that there is often a charge if they do and the fact that credit card companies always red flag Thailand and the fact that you get charged by the card company and the fact that Thailand is a cash economy, the answer is no, I don't use my credit cards in Thailand.

I use my no foreign transaction fee U.S. credit card whenever I can which provides me 2% cash back on most buys in Thailand like at Big C, Lotus, FoodLand, fuel at gas stations to keep my SUV running and 1% on everything else. Usually use it for anything costing more than Bt300 to Bt500 depending on what the store's policy is for the minimum purchase amount to use a credit card. But like at my nearby Tesco Lotus store I use it all the time even for purchases of less than Bt300 as they don't seem to have a minimum amount to make a charge. I use it as much as possible instead of cash for the past two years primarily because of the cash back reward...and as mentioned no foreign transaction fee. No problems to date....knock on wood (my head)...my card also sends me an email within seconds of any "international" transaction....sometimes I get the email before I've had time to leave the checkout counter...other times it takes a few minutes. Since I get 2% cash back on most things I like to think of it as I'm only paying 5% VAT versus 7%.

That's fine, but have you ever calculated the exchange rate they give you? There is never something for nothing at a bank??

Yes, many times...as mentioned the card (a U.S. CapOne MasterCard) is a no foreign transaction fee card...you get the full/no fee MasterCard exchange rate, which basically equals the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers give or take a few stand. The card issuing company (CapOne) even absorbs the approx. 1% MC currency exchange fee. It's not like the majority of credit/debit cards that do apply a foreign transaction fee in the 1 to 3% ballpark...and maybe even an additional flat fee just to rub salt into the fee wound. Summary: no fees....I get the full MC exchange rate....and then I get my 2%/1% cash reward.

P.S. Heck, my U.S. Visa "debit" cards are no foreign transaction fee cards also...get the full/no fee Visa exchange rate...my banks issuing these cards also absorb the Visa 1% currency exchange fee. When outside the U.S. I only use my no foreign transaction fee debit/credit cards; my other couple of cards that do have foreign transaction fees live in my safe while in Thailand....only get used when in the U.S. or for a U.S. online transaction like an Ebay buy just to keep them active.

Edited by Pib

No, but at PTT, if able, I try get the pumps located on the same island as the cashier kiosk. When attendant takes c/c, if able, I back up/pull forward to the cashier window, window rolled down, and make it obvious I am watching what they are doing. We have a PTT Blue Card, so there's always lots of swiping and extra movements going on with that. Touch wood, haven't seen any extra charges on c/c statement.

Thanks for the heads up post though, good info and, well done on holding PTT owner's feet to the fire. thumbsup.gif

Used a credit card here for a couple of decades and never had any serious issues. I like the cash backs, discounts and reward points, and prefer paying by CC at most places to help keep track of what we spend. I always pay it off in full by direct debit each month.

I was in Vietnam the other day when the wife called me from Thailand using Line (great for free internet calls overseas on mobile BTW) to say that someone from the bank Credit Card services had called her about a suspicious entry on our card. I just called our Relationship Manager in Thailand and asked her to call my wife and look into it. She put a temporary block on the card, called my wife and did a bit of look thru our history. Turns out it was just a DD from Skype in London for an auto top up once the balance goes down - last time was quite a while ago. Our RM called me back (Thailand to Vietnam) explained what it was and said it was OK to unblock the cards. Very happy with the service - first someone picking up something unusual - secondly the RM was excellent as usual - followed up and investigated and then called me overseas. Couldn't ask for more smile.png

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

Have been using my credit cards for almost all purchases here including minor ones for 17 yrs and have been very fortunate never to have had a problem. Never in any bar.

I've used a credit card many times in Baccara on Soi Cowboy and in Secrets in Pattaya. never had an issue and the billing is "discreet"whistling.gif

few years ago, i did talk with my bank, back home, about using my credit in Thailand.

His word: bank in Europe get a huge and abnormal number of fraud case from Thailand for years!

In fact SEA is the world leader for fraud case!

Since i use my credit card just for withdrawl and never, never to make any purchase!

few years ago, i did talk with my bank, back home, about using my credit in Thailand.

His word: bank in Europe get a huge and abnormal number of fraud case from Thailand for years!

Since i use my credit card just for withdrawl and never, never to make any purchase!

There's no harm in being cautious, but really the fear is over-stated if you stick to regular businesses.

In the modern work it's increasingly difficult to exist without using credit cards.

In many of the cases it probably had nothing to do with the cards per say...but had everything to do with the card owners' card usage security habits (or lack there of). Knock on word...but I've done hundreds and hundreds of U.S. credit card transactions in Thailand over the last few years...no problem to date (knock on wood). But if/when it happens one day I should be OK since I use U.S. bank issued credit cards which have good consumer protection and fraudulent transaction detection systems. And with all the SMS and Email Alerts a person can setup now days tracking card usage that makes the protection even better.

However, but, I will be the first to admit that crooks do get ahold of person's card number sometimes...by hacking into systems...skimming/copying transaction paperwork...crooks selling your number to other crooks....etc...etc..etc. Has happened to me twice over the last 15 or so years but not by crooks in Thailand.. Once for a book buy in Spain but I was still living in the U.S. and another time a restaurant charge in the U.S. but I was in Thailand....and the cards used were not even cards I used very often or even in Thailand...and definitely not in the places where the fruadelent transactions occurred....in fact, the cards were rarely used by me and pretty much just lived in my safe since I had other cards that offered better rewards. Each time the fraudulent transactions was quickly spotted (i.e., immediately or within 2 days), card cancelled, I rec'd full credit to my account within 3-5 business days, and rec'd a new card within two weeks. It's just going to happen to many folks occasionally even if you do have good card security habits...that's why it's important to have a card that offers strong consumer protection and fraud detection systems....I feel U.S. credit/debit cards fall in this category primarily due to strong credit/debit card consumer protection laws which force the banks/credit card companies to develop good fraud detection systems and fraudulent transaction polices that are customer-protection focused versus bank-protection focused.

I have Thai credit cards (BBL Visa and Amex), and use them regularly. I try to use my foreign cards as little as possible. Usually only for airfares and other major purchases.

My theory is that if a Thai merchant is going to scam a card, a foreign card is the more attractive mark for them. They will believe that you are a tourist and will be back in Farangland before you get your bill and realize you have been fcked. A Thai card will give them pause because then they will be subject to Thai laws and Thai police when the complaint arrives.

Interesting theory. How do you figure in the fact that if the merchant scams a Thai card you are on the hook for the loss versus if he scams the foreign card you are not?

• Like 1

Just had my Thai AMEX used fraduently for the first time since getting it in 2006.

Twenty-nine transactions of which 6 we approved, the rest were blocked. AMEX were on their toes, calling me the next morning (all the transactions were done overnight in the US) and asked me if I had done them or not. The remaining 6 were flagged ($2000 in total) and so far all I've had to do is sign an affidavit stating they weren't mind.

Kudos to AMEX and their security systems for picking out any highly irregular transactions, given the card wasn't stolen, but obviously someone got my number somehow.

• Like 1

I have Thai credit cards (BBL Visa and Amex), and use them regularly. I try to use my foreign cards as little as possible. Usually only for airfares and other major purchases.

My theory is that if a Thai merchant is going to scam a card, a foreign card is the more attractive mark for them. They will believe that you are a tourist and will be back in Farangland before you get your bill and realize you have been fcked. A Thai card will give them pause because then they will be subject to Thai laws and Thai police when the complaint arrives.

I have exactly the same theory.

I've never had any issues using a Thai issued CC in Thailand but I have had fraudulent charges made on a Kasikorn Visa card after using it abroad. KBank themselves guessed that it was fraudulent and called me to confirm. As a result of that I later had a conversation with a manager in KBank's fraud department and I was very impressed at how sophisticated this guy was. He knew exactly where and how the details had been stolen and where and how the subsequent charges were made. I think they would make short work of a thieving cashier based in Thailand.

I've never had any issues using a Thai issued CC in Thailand but I have had fraudulent charges made on a Kasikorn Visa card after using it abroad. KBank themselves guessed that it was fraudulent and called me to confirm. As a result of that I later had a conversation with a manager in KBank's fraud department and I was very impressed at how sophisticated this guy was. He knew exactly where and how the details had been stolen and where and how the subsequent charges were made. I think they would make short work of a thieving cashier based in Thailand.

Finally consumer protection exist in Thailand ?

Interesting theory. How do you figure in the fact that if the merchant scams a Thai card you are on the hook for the loss versus if he scams the foreign card you are not?

Why would the criminal care whether it's you or the foreign card issuer that is "on the hook" for the loss ??

I can't speak about the laws that apply to cards issued in other countries, but with cards issued in the U.S., the consumer protections under federal law are different for debit cards than credit cards. In general, you have more protections under federal law for fraudulent charges on a credit card than a debit card. Also, part of the inherent functioning of a debit card is that the money comes out of your account right away.

This article from the Chicago Tribune, "Debit use riskier than credit", May 20, 2011 describes some of the differences.

One line in the article that caught my eye was "The important point is that using a credit card puts the bank's money at risk in the transaction; using a debit card puts your money at risk."

Very common.

The problem is that people take posts on Thai visa - which are usually complaints - as the norm. Of course they're not representative, and only a fraction of what really happens.

Even the most vehement repeat posters on this subject often have little understanding of the actual laws, how they work in practice, and worse still no personal experience - just hearsay. They think a few dozen posts on Thai visa or what they read in the newspaper are representative of the millions of transactions that happen on CC in Thailand each year.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Very common.

The problem is that people take posts on Thai visa - which are usually complaints - as the norm. Of course they're not representative, and only a fraction of what really happens.

Even the most vehement repeat posters on this subject often have little understanding of the actual laws, how they work in practice, and worse still no personal experience - just hearsay. They think a few dozen posts on Thai visa or what they read in the newspaper are representative of the millions of transactions that happen on CC in Thailand each year.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Please enlighten us Mr Fletch. My experience with a thai debit card where I had proof of the refund (and they admitted to seeing the refund even before I submitted paper evidence) still took 2 weeks to reimburse. Yes, technical glitches do happen, but hmmmm. I've seen in writing where Bangkok Bank visa pamphlet that came with the card said in english translation to "treat your debit card as if it were cash". I am not the one to encourage irresponsibility, and to a large extent the consumer-type of economy like in the USA lends itself to encouraging people with signs in the bank (advertising credit/debit cards) that say "zero liability". But it is good to know that if real fraud does take place, I am covered with a US-issued card. But my limited experience with Thai debit cards and what I have read about credit card is that I am screwed if the card is misused, especially a debit card (vs a credit card).

What rights and responsibilities do Thai credit card and/or debit card holders have? I would like your experience (or others with experience) on the matter, although I think you have actual experience working in the banking industry. Start a separate thread if you must.