"Different" Thai foods you have eaten!

Chittychangchang

I'll start,

The fil caught a cobra snake near Phetchabun airport and brought it home for dinner.

He chopped and skinned it like a master butcher and offered me the still beating heart to swallow!

I can safely say that this experience is the closest a man can get to feeling pregnant(the beating heart in the belly)

What different foods have you eaten in Thailand?

CCC

I don't think anyone is going to be able to beat a beating cobra heart in their stomach! Just the usual for me, crickets, ants, intestines, frogs, rotten fish, congealed blood, COOKED hearts, had a go at rat, although really struggled to get it down!

Not really that different, pretty boring really!!

• Like 1

If you can find a restaurant that specializes in, or at least serves, "forest food" (อาหารป่า), go for it! One of the most interesting facets of Thai cuisine...and you get to try different kinds of deer, wild boar, ostrich...great stuff. In the provinces, everyone eats it, it's just rare to find it in restaurants!

• Like 2

Talking of Phetchabun, go up to the resevoir, there is a restaurant there that serves glass like prawns (clear) when the dish is served it has a clear dome over it, because the prawns are still jumping around on the plate and you eat them live! Delicious apparently, but I prefer to eat things after they are dead!

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Talking of Phetchabun, go up to the resevoir, there is a restaurant there that serves glass like prawns (clear) when the dish is served it has a clear dome over it, because the prawns are still jumping around on the plate and you eat them live! Delicious apparently, but I prefer to eat things after they are dead!

Gung Dten (goong ten) or "dancing shrimp" very common and very popular in the Thai/Laos (isaan) cooking.

• Like 2

If you can find a restaurant that specializes in, or at least serves, "forest food" (อาหารป่า), go for it! One of the most interesting facets of Thai cuisine...and you get to try different kinds of deer, wild boar, ostrich...great stuff. In the provinces, everyone eats it, it's just rare to find it in restaurants!

I know of a few bars / restaurants in BKK that serve ostrich and venison and I love to eat it as it's such a change from pork and chicken.

• Like 1

I've had them a few times. From what I've seen the dome is also used for when you turn the bowl upside down to give it a shake. It stuns or kills the prawns so they don't flip about all over the place. I find them pretty tasteless but the stuff they put on them is very nice, lemony, spicy, salty.

I've also had those pointless sugar sandwiches from 7/11 when well oiled.

• Like 1

Cow sh** soup? (true) Bile soup? Blood soup? How about placenta? Tried it all, very good, but won't go there again. I refuse to eat little birds, frogs, strange snails and insects (although I have tried them all). Rats? Can be good, but only if they are prepared properly, some people just chop it all up, meaning all, and eat it. They actually like it.

• Like 1

Kung Teang....aroy.

• Like 1

My god what an array of cuisine, your all so brave.......the most adventurous thing I have ever eaten in Thailand is a 7/11 chicken burger (I think it was chicken) at midnight coming home after a night out, I had had a few but it didn't help, one bite and in the bin.

My god what an array of cuisine, your all so brave.......the most adventurous thing I have ever eaten in Thailand is a 7/11 chicken burger (I think it was chicken) at midnight coming home after a night out, I had had a few but it didn't help, one bite and in the bin.

Try the deep fried Tarantula or Scorpians with soya sauce, not an unpleasant experience.

CCC

Having lunch beside the Moon river, I am asked whether I would like to try the fresh shrimp salad, I have a look and say, I think something is still moving. " of course it is still moving, it's dancing shrimp, fresh shrimp salad", I kindly declined.

The ants are OK but I can't get my mouth to open for those mushy pasty cooked ant eggs. Chicken feet-- I came home from school when I was around 17 with some friends. Came in for dinner to see a big bowl of boiled chicken feet and unlayed eggs ( from butchered chickens). My mother got a hankering for some old southern cooking-- My friends decided to pass on dinner.

The ants are OK but I can't get my mouth to open for those mushy pasty cooked ant eggs. Chicken feet-- I came home from school when I was around 17 with some friends. Came in for dinner to see a big bowl of boiled chicken feet and unlayed eggs ( from butchered chickens). My mother got a hankering for some old southern cooking-- My friends decided to pass on dinner.

Got to agree on the boiled chicken feetxsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.JLyi1A2P2g.webp

CCC

Fresh water tortoise in Isaan, bloody chewy and flavour not so great. Plus most of the other things mentioned. The dancing shrimp was from a travelling vendor on Soi Nana. I do like the fried crickets with a few beers, nice nutty flavour, but the legs get stuck in the teeth. The chickens feet not so great either, take 3 kilo of feet add about 50 chilli's and a few other bits and boil is apparently the secret family recipe.

Cheers

• Like 1

Fresh water tortoise in Isaan, bloody chewy and flavour not so great. Plus most of the other things mentioned. The dancing shrimp was from a travelling vendor on Soi Nana. I do like the fried crickets with a few beers, nice nutty flavour, but the legs get stuck in the teeth. The chickens feet not so great either, take 3 kilo of feet add about 50 chilli's and a few other bits and boil is apparently the secret family recipe.

Cheers

Fried crickets yum, the western alternative is crisps and nuts.

CCC

• Like 1