Pattaya vs the rest of Thaialnd for Farang Deaths... who wins?

kiwiinasia

I notice over the last few years that living or visiting Pattaya seems to be quite fatal for foreigners. I wonder if the total fatalities of Pattaya alone exceeds that of the rest of Thailand put together?

If we say Pattaya = Chon Buri then I think the answer is YES by a mile.

But why do so many expats (non-thais) die there?

'I think' and 'by a mile' simply dont belong in the same post, much less the same sentence, but lets assume you are correct.

1. One of the biggest nightlife precincts in the world and a beacon for men from all over the world, even if the demographic is reportedly changing.

2. Also a beacon for criminality

3. Some people simply cant separate reality from Disneyland.

Personally, I believe the majority are suicides, but that's right up there with 'I think' and 'by a mile' ... let's just call it 'death by misadventure'.

(FWI, I love Patts, and nothing I read here will change my view of the town, but some people just cant handle it)

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 2

If you want to be statistically accurate in your assessment then you need a lot of data to correlate properly. Your statement is a bit like saying that most New Zealanders die in Auckland.

The reason is obvious, that's where most of them are (not counting Sydney) coffee1.gif

EDIT: As an afterthought, apparently a disproportionate number of men (world wide) die while playing golf. Reason - generally older men play golf a disproportionate amount of time. Not just in frequency, but they may be at the course for 5 hours, 3 times a week. So the chances of them popping their clogs is more statistically likely.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

Probably because it has the highest concentration of foreigners, but I doubt it goes anywhere near competing with the rest of Thailand put together.

Samui, Phuket, CM and BKK added together probably outstrips Pattaya by some way.

This. ^^^^^

Plus if you count Esarn as a region then how many die up there of old age that never make the news.

I think OP needs to add in death by misadventure, suicide vs death by the natives killing them off cos well the title sort of has the implications that somehow foreigners are getting offed by the locals.

An emphatic NO to that. We arent here for a statistics class.

I think OP needs to add in death by misadventure, suicide vs death by the natives killing them off cos well the title sort of has the implications that somehow foreigners are getting offed by the locals.

An emphatic NO to that. We arent here for a statistics class.

says the dude that was correcting OP that was putting "i think" and "by a mile" in the same post thereby implying that the OP needed to get some stats in order if not his post wouldn't make sense.

Nice 180 degree turn.

Lots of guys here are quite old and they either marry young women or take large amounts of stimulants to keep up with their girl friends in the go go bars ,but at least they die happy.biggrin.png

Ya like the Fin who jumped off the building, no wait he was a young guy oh ...... maybe the Russian guy at that 7/11 no..... wait no he was a young guy too. Out of the last 27 Farang deaths from other than natural causes in Pattaya 26 were under 50. Can't be. I better go back and check my numbers.smile.png

If Stickman is to be believed, Patts is all about Russian and Chinese families - bit of a shame he's in bed by 11pm, or he would see the real Pattaya come to life.

I am happily in bed by 9, know what I mean,wink wink, thats when I come to life and I am not even in Patters!

In the past 13 years or so I know personally of around a dozen premature farang deaths in Pattaya. These were all people I knew personally.

The causes are a mixture of motorbike accidents, Thai police defined suicide, unexplained, jumpers, murdered, car accidents.

I don't know that many people in England who've died unnatural deaths in the past 30 years.

- how many towns do you have in England that are almost entirely dedicated to entertainment, complete with ~100,000 prostitutes ?

- how many towns do you have in England where the cops cant be bothered doing their job unless it involves someone important ?

- how many towns do you have in England where almost anyone can ride a motorbike, seemingly with little or no prior experience ?

- how many towns do you have in England where criminals from all over the world can find refuge from law enforcement ?

The key to Pattaya, IMO, is understanding that none of it is real. Totally different story for expats living happily on the dark side, but for the weekend warriors who allow themselves to be consumed by the place, let's just say I would take death over 20+ years in a Thai jail for some of the stupid things Farang do in Patts.

If I find myself sitting in a Pattaya hotel with absolutely nothing to go back to in Australia, am I going to get a taxi to Swampy or climb into the bathtub with a bottle of Mekhong and some pills ? That's where Patts becomes very real.

I seem to remember reading a statistic from the UK consulate that gave Pattaya as having far and away the largest number of British residents in Thailand. I expect the same holds for other nationalities.

Given that most of these residents are retired it seems entirely normal that they should be more likely to die than younger tourists elsewhere in the country. That's what older people do.

In the past 13 years or so I know personally of around a dozen premature farang deaths in Pattaya. These were all people I knew personally.

The causes are a mixture of motorbike accidents, Thai police defined suicide, unexplained, jumpers, murdered, car accidents.

I don't know that many people in England who've died unnatural deaths in the past 30 years.

You're a jinx !!

Timely edition of Foreign Correspondent here in Oz tonite:

Broadcasting 8.01 pm on ABC1 (Channel 2)
synopsis-break.jpgpowered-by-ebroadcast.gif
It’s got sun, beaches, spectacular scenery and hoards of holiday makers. It's also the number one European destination for murder. Foreign Correspondent examines the brutal, dark heart of a tourist playground.

This site is by no means definitive and should not be treated as such; our research suggests less than 20% of expat deaths are reported in the media - eg age and illness-related deaths.

Gruesome site nonetheless, but it's interesting that the Thai media seem to have no problem reporting suicides. In Oz, they will rport all manner of unnatural death - murders, car accidents etc - but suicides are very rarely reported. Even when a celebrity like Whitney Houston has clearly taken their own life, they seem reticent to use the 's' word. Youth suicide gets periodic coverage, but the suicides in question are rarely reported as they happen.

Yeah the foreign press likes to make "interesting" reality stories about Pattaya, often with very little connection to reality.

Foreign Correspondent isn't a tabloid news program - they often report from warzones like Syria and are generally respected here, but I take your point - its easy to beat up on Patts. FC is notorious for airing a story which saw one of their reporters and his producers banned from the Kingdom for Lese Majeste - would have been interesting trying to get another crew into the country to film a story on Pattaya or Phuket. Fortunately, they didnt have to - turns out Corsica is the villain of the piece tonight,

• Like 1