The benefits of a Thai driving licence?

longstebe

To drive in Thailand you need an International Driver License. Staying more than three month in LoS, you need a Thai Driver License. May be important in case of accident/insurance. First time Thai Driver License is valid for one year, when renewed valid for five years.

Totally agree. But be careful, some guys might complain that it's an IDP ( International Driving Permit),please see other forum.

Seems that some guys love to split hairs, as it doesn't really matter if you call it an" International driver's license", or" permit". I'd guess that's the same..-wai2.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can pretend to be Thai and try to wing your way into national parks for 20 baht.

A favourite boast of some holders.

I don't think you need to pretend anything. I was told at the entrance that you get in on the Thai residents' rate with a Thai driver's license. AFAIK, that's the rule.

When you renew next time they will be valid for 5 years.

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society biggrin.png

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mines 5 years.

the renewal after 1 year should be for 5 years - mine is.

LOL @ part of Thai society - this depends on how much money you have and how long it lasts.... "easy come - easy go" - I have learnt that Thailand is for Thai's...farangs are just another source of income.

• Like 1

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

Thai wife and self given a 1 year licence initially.

We were both given a 5 year licence on expiry.

Bottom line: Thai and farang treated the same :-)

I was one month overdue on my 1 year and was thinking they might make me start over for another 1 year license. But I was issued a 5 year.....

I like it because for hotels, banks, airline tickets it works like a passport + it is identification showing where I live which my passport does not.

I do like getting into the parks at the local rate.......

Just entertained some friends that were asian but not Thai. At 6'4" and white like a light bulb I would go to the window - show the license & point to them - - - - smuggling THEM in for the Thai rate....kind of fun for a change.....

Your wife mis-understood. Been there, done that. You will get you five years.

I live in Bangkok (apartment rented in my name) but as of now I'm still staying either on 30 days entry visas or tourist visas. What is required to get the Thai driving license from immigration? A resident certificate? Can I get that as well when I'm living here on a short-term visa? I once got such a residence certificate from my embassy (cost: 1200 Baht) for registering my motorbike in my name. Wonder if it will be as easy or more problematic at Immigration.

Thanks for your info!

Much better than carrying you passport everywhere ,its the same as an id card and yes it does get you Thai price at all places.

That's simply not true i have been declined thai price at national parks upon showing a thai driving license as have probably thousands of others.

It in no way entitles you to that of a thai national such as above likely but not 100% guaranteed.

Most national parks DO honor your license and charge you the Thai price. I have only been turned down once at a park outside Hua Hin and they even had the audacity to post it on a sign that falang must pay full price even if they have a license. Any park turning you down is probably run by a falang hater and they can do what they want. I usually get a nice smile and am charged the Thai price.

You are charged the Thai price at Nong Nouch and that was with a very nice smile. Mini-Siam gave a discount, but not quite the Thai price and I understand Underwater World honors the Thai driver's license. Sanctuary of truth does not because everyone pays the same price. The Grand Palace in Bangkok also does not honor the license.

The driver's license regulations are the same for Thai and Falang. If you live in an area where there are very few falang then I'm not surprised they don't know or outright lie. And yes, you really did get ripped off by your immigration office. Understand this, you can ONLY get a 5 year license if you are here on a ONE YEAR visa or visa extension based on a one year visa.

Exactly,where there is a large population of expats,for example Pattaya,Chiang Mai or Hua Hin any national parks that are local usually know that it's ok to charge those foreigners with a Thai driving license the same as the natives,travel to lesser known places where the odd foreigner turns up once in a blue moon it's not quite plain sailing,they are unaware of the rules and think you are trying to pull the proverbial wool over their eyes.

Not correct I have a 5 year DL for the second time.

You can draw money with it.

You don't have any hassles with the police when stopped at a road block.

I have opened a bank account with it.

Book into hotels.

No hassles to renew your DL in your home country, if you stay in Thailand.

Much easier to carry the DL than to carry your passport and the DL have your passport number on it.

You can pretend to be Thai and try to wing your way into national parks for 20 baht.

I don't think you need to pretend anything. I was told at the entrance that you get in on the Thai residents' rate with a Thai driver's license. AFAIK, that's the rule.

Which national park ?

One frequented by Thai driving license flashing farang no doubts.

Try some obscure places.

They are unfortunately none the wiser in the far reaches of rural Thailand.

First time 1 year temporary. DO NOT allow temporary licence expire! About 1 month before expiration can appy for another, if at time of application farang have NON-x VISA, he/she will be granted 5 years permanent.

With both temporary and permanent

Drive legally (the main purpose of)

Use as ID for National parks

Domestic Plane flights

In case you want sell out used mobile phone @ MBK shops glad to see it as ID, more trusted than passport.

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society :D

Incorrect. I just renewed mine for five years. First one is one year, then renewal is five years. This license is a very handy thing to have. I do not even carry my passport any longer for domestic flights. DL only. Never a problem.

1000 baht to immigration!!! for what certificate of residence is free. Had 2 now never paid 1 baht.

Then you are dam_n lucky.

In Jomtien you now pay 250B per "residence certificate" and you need two to get a car and motorcycle license. Use to be 200, the price has gone up now.

I paid 500 baht for residence certificate at the same office in Jomtien only a few weeks ago , I am not sure if the fees for this change weekly ?

First time 1 year temporary. DO NOT allow temporary licence expire! About 1 month before expiration can appy for another, if at time of application farang have NON-x VISA, he/she will be granted 5 years permanent.

Domestic Plane flights

In case you want sell out used mobile phone @ MBK shops glad to see it as ID, more trusted than passport.

That's not correct to start with, you need to let your 1yr expire before applying for the 5 year, as crazy as it sounds, go and see what happens if you turn up a month before chances are they will tell you to come back

I live in Bangkok (apartment rented in my name) but as of now I'm still staying either on 30 days entry visas or tourist visas. What is required to get the Thai driving license from immigration? A resident certificate? Can I get that as well when I'm living here on a short-term visa? I once got such a residence certificate from my embassy (cost: 1200 Baht) for registering my motorbike in my name. Wonder if it will be as easy or more problematic at Immigration.

Thanks for your info!

I am of the understanding that you need to be on a more permanent Visa to get a Proof of Address from Immigration. Specifically you will need to have done your 90 report - from this they can check their records and provide affirmation of your address.

I am on a long term visa, but as I am in and out of Thailand so frequently I am rarely in country long enough to warrant the 90 day report - I tried but Immigration told me they couldn't issue the Proof Of Address unless I'd done a 90 day report, they sent me off to my Embassy (at +2000 baht from the British Consulate its an expensive piece of paper).

As such I suspect you will need to obtain an Affirmation of Address from your Embassy (the same document you required to get your Motorcycle registered in your name).

Which national park ?

One frequented by Thai driving license flashing farang no doubts.

Try some obscure places.

They are unfortunately none the wiser in the far reaches of rural Thailand.

I don't believe there is a written rule which entitles a farang with a Thai DL to anything other than being legal to drive, do some places let you in at a reduced rate ? Is it your god given right ? Don't think so.....can't remember where it was but they wouldn't entertain my DL, and the girl got smart and said ah for discount you need WP....ok my dear walked back to the car and got WP out and handed it over....never seen so much back peddling but I did get in to the place eventually on the thai rate

Not actually true. In the land of all possibilities, after chatting up the head of the driving centre in Thai they treated me as Thai and gave me a 6 year licence. The licence was issued in 2010 and is valid until November 2016. I might add that my previous Thai licence had expired in 2004 when I was working overseas. Their only stipulation was that I had to sit through a Thai Road Safety film which was amateurish and even contained unsafe advice on road safety. So I got a 6 years licence straight away, without the one year wait.

Edited by Estrada

You need a NOn O visa and a work permit and a work pemit or residencce certificate from immigration.

Incorrect.

Different officials may work by their own rules because they do not know them though, or perhaps just do not care about them and enjoy refusing a farang as it makes them feel a little bit of power over them, which may help with their Thai emotional issues.

I do not know where you got that information. The rules are extremely clear here.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

He is correct! They work to their own rules. I did not need a medical, or certified address from the Embassy, and I got a 6 year licence without a practical test even though my last licence expired 6 years previously. If you speak Thai and be polite Thailand becomes the land of all possibilities. The licence was issued in 2010 and is valid until Nov 2016.

Edited by Estrada

Domestic Plane flights

That's not correct to start with, you need to let your 1yr expire before applying for the 5 year, as crazy as it sounds, go and see what happens if you turn up a month before chances are they will tell you to come back

Absolutely correct. To qualify for the renewal you have to have had a temporary license (the 1 yr one) for a one year period.

Thus is cannot be renewed until it expires. :)

btw, in other posts, I like how people consider their 12 month 'Extension of Temporary Stay' and '90 day Permission of Temporary Stay' a 'long term visa'. :D

You need a NOn O visa and a work permit and a work pemit or residencce certificate from immigration.

Incorrect.

Different officials may work by their own rules because they do not know them though, or perhaps just do not care about them and enjoy refusing a farang as it makes them feel a little bit of power over them, which may help with their Thai emotional issues.

I do not know where you got that information. The rules are extremely clear here.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

He is correct! They work to their own rules. I did not need a medical, or certified address from the Embassy, and I got a 6 year licence without a practical test even though my last licence expired 6 years previously. If you speak Thai and be polite Thailand becomes the land of all possibilities. The licence was issued in 2010 and is valid until Nov 2016.

I've gotten Thai DL's on a tourist visa. No WP or Non-Imm visa (obviously.)

"4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)"

Funnily enough the clinic the lady sent me to around the corner only asked me what colour a pen was. Red. Correct. Med cert stamped, the doctor could obviously tell I was clear of the five diseases just by that alone. :D

It's 5 years the second time around. I've done it and so far I do not think I am a Thai, they still call me Farang! Don't let it expire or else you will start all over again.

The benefits? Well if you get booked for speeding etc & have an international driving licence, it will be cancelled. The cops around here seemed impressed when a Farang produces a Thai driving licence. You will probably get away with an International until it expires but a Thai driving licence is so easy to get, no driving test, no rules test, just a colour blindness test & a reaction test with a simulated set of accelerator & brake contraption. Costs 150b FOR MOTOR VEHICLE, 150b for motor cycle.

Edited by BuriramRes

A friend of mine recently told me that when he went to Phuket Land Transport Office he was told that he could only renew his initial DL for one year as he was on a Tourist Visa. He was told that if he had a long stay visa he would have been issued with a 5 year extension.

A friend of mine recently told me that when he went to Phuket Land Transport Office he was told that he could only renew his initial DL for one year as he was on a Tourist Visa. He was told that if he had a long stay visa he would have been issued with a 5 year extension.

Yeah, we went to transfer a bike into my name. The officer told us the docs were insufficient, we need x, y and z.

After 2 weeks of tracking down x,y and z we went back. The next officer took the original documents and did it all in 5 mins. x,y and z were still in our folder.

Thailand and Thais. They never leave you bored.

wai.gif

Edited by pilm

Couldn't be more wrong bro. I just renewed mine for the first time last week. I got car, motorcycle, and international conversion, all good for 5 years. My first Thai license was expired in February, and it wasn't an issue. All Thai licenses, even for Thais, are 1 Year contingent the first time. The process was quick, painless and cheap compared to renewing my license in the USA.. In fact compared to an American DMV the Thai one in BKK was refreshingly efficient. I dare say even better, I was there for under an hour, last time I renewed in the US I was there for nearly 3 hours. The depth perception, reactioon time and peripheral vision tests are all highly relevant to safe driving, and we perform none of those tests in the US. I did not need to go to Immigration for anything, I got the letter from the Embassy, the doctors note, snd that was it. They asked me for a work permit, I told them I don't work in Thailand, which is true. I spend maybe 3- 6 months a year there when I am between work assignments. Like everywhere in Thailand there are the rules, and there is the way it's done. OP seems to be a bit negative, and just having a down demeanor can incline a Thai to tell you to f-off. I am fat and cute and smile at everyone. I am routinely referred to as resembling a big kid, and I can get away with just about anything by smiling and uttering any of the ten Thai words I know and getting the "You speak Thai good, You Narak"

Edited by BOS2BKK

just renewed my Thai drivers license, from one year to 5 years. no problems whatsoever, and didn't need an address confirmation letter from immigration which is 65kms away and transport office only 25 kms away. Went in prior asking various questions, what was needed to renew to 5 year. Told them I had a work permit and was told that, that was proof of my residence. So no trip to immigration was needed. everything cost less than 700 bahts. in and out in 20 minutes.