Public must lead reform effort: Prawase

webfact

'Public must lead reform effort'
Anapat Deechuay,
Wattana Khamchu
The Nation

30214680-01_big.jpg?1378944330589

Prawase urges political restructuring; Sondhi questions Banharn's ties to govt

BANGKOK: -- The country's political power structure should be reformed before national reconciliation can begin, social critic Prawase Wasi told Banharn Silapa-archa, a key coordinator of the government's national-reform effort, yesterday.

Banharn visited Prawase after a meeting with former leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), who have turned down his invitation to join in the reform process.

Former PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul asked whether Banharn was being used as a tool, and if the reform would benefit fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Proposing his idea of a "Triangle that Moves the Mountain", Prawase said he would prefer to see three networks join hands and reform the nation by reducing the government's power and increasing people's power.

The first network is the national reform committee led by PM Yingluck Shinawatra, and the people who joined its forum on August 25.

The second network comprises independent groups of people formed based on issues or geographical areas, such as the Green Group led by Suriyasai Katasila and the People's Army to Overthrow Thaksin's Regime, and even the Democrat Party.

The third network, Prawase said, should be a Thailand Reform Council (or Reform Assembly) comprising all sectors taking part in national reform, to consider resolutions on various issues. The resolutions would afterwards be submitted to the government's committee (the first network) led by the PM for implementation.

Prawase said his role would be in the second network.

Banharn, the de facto leader of the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party, went to ASTV Manager's headquarters to meet with Sondhi and Chamlong Srimuang, both former leaders of the anti-government yellow shirts.

Sondhi not only refused to join in the political reform as invited, but also asked Banharn whether he thought Thaksin should return to Thailand to serve his jail term. He also asked whether, if Thaksin received amnesty, former deputy interior minister Pracha Maleenont, who was recently sentenced for corruption, should also get amnesty.

Sondhi asked why politicians had to fly abroad to see Thaksin to get promotions, and whether Banharn thought he was being used as a political tool. Sondhi said he did not believe that Yingluck was the real decision-maker. Meanwhile, he said, the government had not demonstrated its sincerity in solving political problems. For example, Tarit Pengdith's term as Department of Special Investigation director-general had been extended so Tarit could be used to attack the ruling party's political rivals, Sondhi alleged.

Sondhi said Thaksin, the de facto leader of the Pheu Thai Party, had no intention of genuinely reforming politics, but only to reduce the heat in Thai politics.

Banharn said that at 82 years of age, he wanted to contribute to the country. He was speaking as a coordinator for political reform and had nothing to do with the government.

"I am doing this sincerely. I am not anyone's tool. This is just the beginning and we have to see how it will end. I'm not speaking for [Yingluck], but Yingluck does not always agree with her brother. I see her good intentions. But at present, there is no justice in society. I am banned [from voting] and my party was dissolved despite doing nothing wrong. Was that a double standard?" he asked.

Chamlong said Yingluck actually had no reason to push for political reform, as the ruling party's conduct was at the core of the country's problems. If it stopped what it was trying to do, the problems would end, he said.

Banharn yesterday said there seemed to be an attempt to discredit him, after a photo of him taken with a young actress was released on the Internet. He said this might have something to do with his role as a major coordinator of the government's political-reform effort.

The veteran politician denied any romantic relationship with the young woman, saying she was a recipient of a scholarship from his foundation.

Banharn said it was normal for people to have their photos taken with him, adding that on the same day the male vocalist of a Thai rock band, Toon Bodyslam, also had his photo taken with him.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-12

I see a lot of discussions between political corrupt dinosaurs but no mention of the public in this article....

The public don't count. They don't give a monkey's what the "public" really think, it's all an illusion to keep the masses quiet, with no real attempt to make proper changes.

"Proposing his idea of a "Triangle that Moves the Mountain", Prawase said he would prefer to see three networks join hands and reform the nation by reducing the government's power and increasing people's power."

How much do they have to improve their power. They all ready had 52% of the people saying they did not want this Micky Mouse government and now they are being ignored.

It is all meaningless rhetoric that will only come to pass when Thailand gets a decent education system.

When the people realize that the money they are taking for their vote will just be taken back out of their pocket in another manner plus 100% interest at a minimum.

PAD, for me, lost all credibility when they invaded Government House and occupied the airport. BUT,.. Sondhi and Chamlong both asked some very pointed and pertinent questions that Mr. Banharn made no attempt to answer. Until those questions are answered to everyone's satisfaction, the government's sincerity is in doubt.

My first question is, How can the current government, which is causing the division in the country (at the behest of Dr. Thaksin) by their so-called Amnesty Bill to whitewash Dr. Thaksin and return him to his money, the 2.2 trillion Baht loan that will only put Thailand in the same company as Greece, and amending the Constitution to remove all checks and balances to their power, be the group that reforms the country's political structure? They have everything to lose if the status quo is changed in a true reform direction.

My second question is, How can you bring about 'reconciliation' by government edict or law? Wouldn't that have to come from the hearts of the disparate factions?