Is it safe for a foreigner to marry a Thai?

webfact

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have seen both sides of the story, I am happily married to a Thai lady who lives with me in Australia, we were introduced by my friend who has been happily married to her sister for 10 years.

A friend of mine met a bar girl in Pattya and fell really bad for her, against all advice he kept sending her money which mysteriously disapeared, eventually they married in Thailand and He got her and her two daughters ( with different Thai fathers ) back to Australia. On a recent visit back t Patts she hocked a gold bracelet he had bought for her and hired two Thai hit men to kill him. He was wrned by staff at the hotel they were staying at. Even this wasnt enough of a wake up call. they made up !!!!! and returned to Australia where she convinced him to send 200, 000THB to her "Brother" to by them a farm. When the sale fell through and the money dissapeared there was a huge fightand she got violent. He has finally packed her and the daughters ( who were actually quite nice ) back to Thailand on a one way ticket.

Now she rings him in tears saying how wrong she was and promises to change!! every time he wavers we have to intervene.

Caveat Emptor

Could it be that some men show up here and start looking desperately for a wife before even clearing immigration at swampy, then propose to the first woman who gets naked with them, despite the fact that their common language skills are so poor that they can't have a grownup conversation with each other?

If taking precautions to avoid being murdered is part of your pre-wedding planning, then maybe just maybe matrimony isn't your best course of action right now.

• Like 2

My second wife I met in Chiang Mai just over 4 years ago. She was not exactly an "altar girl", so to speak, and I accepted her for what she is. We are happily married and she had our first child yesterday, at the McCormick Hospital in Chiang Mai.

Congrats to both of you clap2.gif

• Like 2

Wow, where can I go with this as there are so many directions? biggrin.png It is safe to marry anyone these days of any nationality? As a previous poster mentioned, we have evolved as humans and all the cultures that make us up. There is good and bad everywhere. Opportunists, gold-diggers and such. Regarding Thailand, I have noticed a cultural divide in the last 6 years from the old culture and this new evolving one. This new one seems like a rather toxic mix with influence from other cultures (I will avoid singling out any specific culture)

Overall I still feel and believe Thai people are good-hearted and though this may be rather cliche', follow your heart if you truly feel you have a keeper but that isn't to say put your guard down

Never have a false sense of security about anything as none of us are safe, even in our own locked, gated homes, alarm systems, guard dogs and firearms (where legal) Anyone at anytime is watching and waiting to see the first sign of weakness or inattentiveness from a vendor on the street or a banker offering you a 2nd mortgage.

Good luck to youand many safe years ahead.

I am YeaBiGgiEs and I have spoken on this day.

My second wife I met in Chiang Mai just over 4 years ago. She was not exactly an "altar girl", so to speak, and I accepted her for what she is. We are happily married and she had our first child yesterday, at the McCormick Hospital in Chiang Mai.

Congrats to both of you clap2.gif

+1 thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Without any advertising whatsoever (other than word of mouth apparently).... on average we get about 30-40 mia falangs per year wanting to use their spouse paid for house, building, or misc. property as collateral for loans.... many of which they apparently don't intend or are clearly unable to service over the long term. It's clear that this is mostly without the husband's knowledge. Do your due diligence, if your spouse or partner to be is near the bottom of the social spectrum after generations in a relatively resource rich environment.... it's probably not all due to bad luck.

coffee1.gif

In Thailand foreigners commit suicide instead of being killed by their Thai-wives!

The only one way to make a small fortune in Thailand, is to come here with at bigger fortune!

When that is said, my wife haven´t killed me yet and I have never paid any dowry or financial support to my wife or her family, so in this way I feel quite unique.

You are unique...and keenio.

• Like 1

Maybe the headline should read.

Is it Safe for a Foreigner to Marry a Thai Bargirl?

Many Farangs have married everyday Thai women are raising normal families and living normal lives. It is just my guess that many of the farangs that run foul with Thai women is that they have fallen in love with the 1st young girl that said "you very handsome man, you have wife?" They have actually fallen head over heels with the false smiles and words and don't realise that the moment they walked into that bar they were a scam target.

I think most of they Thai women are sincere. You don't go to a brothel back home in search of bride. Just look in the right places and away from the sleaze and you reduce your risks of suicide and being scammed dramatically.

Bar girsl are not all bad. I have friends who married bar girls are are living happily in the USA

I made the big mistake, based on that assumption, and married a high society woman, not so young, in the Philippines, and she took all my properties, abducted our daughter, hired hit men to kill me and her relative, a powerful politician listed me as the most wanted undesirable alien in the country. I escaped by paying a huge bribe to immigration to get to Thailand ! Now living happily with my Thai girlfriend with and having a new family

let me guess before that happened you've been a member of the MI5 or at least ex- SAS...isn'it ?

People dying from natural causes are inevitable but people dying from greed is another, when my girl started pushing the conversation about life insurance and that i needed to get a premium,, i started to listen,, she said mum has one dad has one and the grandparents have a policy and that she pays for their policies so when they die she will get a payout and that she was so informed about everything astounded me,, many little red flags started popping out, in conversation the aspect of poison came up that so and so poisoned their husband for having a mia noi and spending their money on her,, more little red flags,, congratulations to all married for many years sorry to all who have had their life savings and their dreams stolen, remember we are a guest in their country, we have a visa (permission) to stay there,, we are not locals and never will be so lets live as we can.

What I love most about these types of threads is that the Thai women never get a voice.

How many of them have met, and for whatever reason, entered into relationships with weak, penniless, lying, promiscuous, alcoholic, feckless, impotent male farang partners?

ps if you recognise yourself in the second sentence, count it as a step forward in your recovery. smile.png

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Without any advertising whatsoever (other than word of mouth apparently).... on average we get about 30-40 mia falangs per year wanting to use their spouse paid for house, building, or misc. property as collateral for loans.... many of which they apparently don't intend or are clearly unable to service over the long term. It's clear that this is mostly without the husband's knowledge. Do your due diligence, if your spouse or partner to be is near the bottom of the social spectrum after generations in a relatively resource rich environment.... it's probably not all due to bad luck.

coffee1.gif

They might just be 'jai dee' and not been brought up to be greedy or overly ambitious - some of the nicest people I've ever met have not a pot to pee in and would give you their last baht if they thought you needed it. Wish I could say the same for the many rich and succesful folk I have met in my work and travels

Play in the sewers you,ll encounter many rats, walk in the countryside you,ll hear plenty of lovely bird song, and if you are lucky, you just might catch one, I did !

And visit lovely civilized Hua Hin and you will encounter and interact will a wide variety of decent women.

I am too fat too chase after anyone right now. Instead, they must come to me......tongue.png

Don't get married to anyone of any nationality and don't make anyone a beneficiary for any life insurance or assurance.

Just don't do it, its unnecessary and possibly lethal. w00t.gif

Are you perchance a recruiting officer for a society of Trappist monks?

Life, when stripped all all the fripperies and discounting all the great works of man (and woman) is about the survival of your genes. Born, procreate, die.

Been married to one for over twenty years and she hasn't killed me yet.

My first wife actually was a prostitute, although I didn't really figure that out for a few years. I'm an alcoholic and so was she; I got sober, she never wanted to. We had some very bad times over the years, but I never doubted she loved me. After 23 years she died. My current wife was a teacher at a university, doesn't smoke, drink, or play cards, and we've been together for almost seven years now. I'm pretty sure she loves me, but not with the intensity of my first wife.

On the other hand I've heard a lot of horror stories. One chaplain told me that G.I.s who married Thai women had about a 90% divorce rate. I heard lots of rip-off stories. So... Safe? No, but nothing worthwhile is.

Edited by Acharn
  • Like 2

My ex threw a box of kleenex at me. Does this get me membership in the dangerous Thai relationships club?

She claimed I had peed on the toilet seat. I didn't, honest. It was sprinkles from when I took a shower. I didn't close the toilet seat cover and that was apparently enough to prove my guilt in her eyes. I tell ya, these Thai women can be rough and judgemental. It's ok, she got hers when her dog "somehow" found her bra and used it as a tug of war thingie with a nice farang man who was only trying to retrieve the bra from the tiny jaws of death.

Stop, stop what are you doing. Stop, you stupid man. grawf, grawf, grrr. Stop stop.

Aww yes, the episode still makes me laugh.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

My ex threw a box of kleenex at me. Does this get me membership in the dangerous Thai relationships club?

She claimed I had peed on the toilet seat. I didn't, honest. It was sprinkles from when I took a shower. I didn't close the toilet seat cover and that was apparently enough to prove my guilt in her eyes. I tell ya, these Thai women can be rough and judgemental. It's ok, she got hers when her dog "somehow" found her bra and used it as a tug of war thingie with a nice farang man who was only trying to retrieve the bra from the tiny jaws of death.

Stop, stop what are you doing. Stop, you stupid man. grawf, grawf, grrr. Stop stop.

Yes, it sounds truly hilarious.

This is very simple to grasp. Thailand is a developing country and people are considerably poorer then people from countries in the West, even a man with an average income from the West can appear quite wealthy here.

Thailand also has an unhealthy obsession with money.

Those 2 things mean quite simply that Thai women will use Western men. Why else do we see men in their twilight years with a Thai stunner hanging off their arm! It's money, nothing more, and I think everyone knows this to be the truth if they are honest with themselves. Is it safe? well I would like to think that murder is statistically unlikely but,, being left with nothing when you sign over your wealth to your wife of course is a very real possibility.

Considering most of my assets are not in my name - I'm not scared. What I do live in fear of is if my Thai partner dies before me.......

Dont be scared, simply book an appoitment at your local Amphur Office and write mirrror wills. That is she leaves everything to you (and children) and you, ditto. Very easy ,cheap and will put your mind at rest. Dependant on the amphur you can get the wills translated into English also.

They can be dangerous! I made it 19+ years before she pulled out a gun.I blamed the change of life, regardless it changed mine! Spent the last 5 years with a new one . Can't even imagine waking up bedside a women my age (mid sixty ) I will stay with the crazy Thais

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If you are in a happy marriage then all is fine and the poor souls who get murdered or scammed are just the few unfortunate ones. Group 1

If you have been scammed one way or another you will see and hear about all the multitudes of others who have suffered the same fate and then you will realize how I'll nformed you were when you were in group 1

• Like 1

What about the Thai women getting killed by foreign men. Remember a number of cases but then again its not in Meebals interest to ask this question. Why do TV allow Meebal on here they have never contributed anything positive on this website. They dont live in the country and have acknowledge that they have not even been here.

• Like 1

My ex-wife, I've posted here before about this person (for the purposes of this post I call her Ami), likes to think of herself as Hi-So. But she needed money. When I met her she already had a civil engineering degree and was working on her masters. Great lady, I thought, not a bar girl, not particularly good looking, but highly intelligent. Speaks English and Chinese and has a smattering of French. We got married and then she moved to the UK with me. After 5 reasonable years, we moved back to Thailand. I should have seen it coming as the whole thing was a scam. You see, you are not safe financially, even from these educated people. She always professed her hatred of bar girls, "isaan" gitls and so on - but her type of prostitution (because that's what it was) is even worse. I lost most of my pension savings to her. She was a con artist of the highest order.

Luckily for us guy's most will milk us slowly and wait for us to expire naturally, then it's back to the village to build the biggest house around! But I guess even a vulture gets the urge to kill now and again!