Suvarnabhumi Airport: Indian man arrested with stolen visa sticker

webfact

MISSING VISAS
Indian man arrested with stolen visa sticker

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An Indian man was arrested Wednesday night for attempting to board a place at Suvarnabhumi Airport to Chennai after officials noticed his passport bore a Thai visa sticker stolen from Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

The visa sticker, No A5801985, was among the 300 stickers stolen from the Thai embassy and had already been revoked. He told police that he had hired an Indian agent for Bt7,500 to process the visa application for him at the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur and travelled to Thailand on July 20 without knowing that the visa sticker was stolen.

Officials initially charged the 44-year-old with using a forged visa stamp for travel before handing him over to the authorities to proceed with legal action.

In August, the Thai Foreign Ministry reported that about 300 visa labels had gone missing from the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

It was later discovered that some 2,000 other visa stickers also went missing on the way to the Thai embassy in Hague and another 500 disappeared from the Thai embassy in Laos’ Savannakhet province. All the stickers have been cancelled.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-12

The biggest problem here is those guys who is using the stolen Visa don't really know it is stolen. The authority should look for the people who is giving Visa application services. I believe most of those stolen Visa user are innocent.

• Like 2

Some people are obviously so stupid that they think they cannot be caught. Doing any amount of time in a Thai jail is not a pleasant experience.

Isn't it possible that the guy didn't know he was using a stolen visa? I suspect there are some unscrupulous agents/people in Thailand. Perhaps you're being a little too harsh?

100% agree. I also know of folk who advertise ''unlimited stay'' in LOS for a fee. sad.png

If you came from a country whichits citizens can not get a Thai visa easily around the region, you might be tempted o have agents get it for them. Stupid, I know, but I have seen happen a lot over 13 years.

I went to the embassy in Singapore in 2000, the counter refused me, I asked for the counselor, he/she, asked to leave the papers with the counter. Before I got to my hotel, there was a message asking me to come back and pay if I needed the visa the next day. The next time I ventured into a Thai embassy was in 2011 in KL, I got a 3 months non b. Again in 2011, with the ex missing but presumed holed up in Tasmania, I went to suwannakhet, no success, went to vientianne, worse fate, I flew back home and got one year multiple.

I could easily have sought out an agent.

But no Thai persons were involved in the robbery, Any body else, yes!

I stand to be corrected but I thought I heard a news item that a Thai woman had been arrested by police for allegedly helping an Indian man move some of the stolen items.

I wasn't paying too much attention but it didn't seem much detail was given but of course the lady was centre stage.

Posted 2013-08-28 11:25:40

MFA to quickly solve the missing visa stamps

BANGKOK, 28 Aug 2013 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has discovered that the disappearance of 300 Thai visa stickers from the Thai Embassy in Malaysia was likely an organized crime with possible involvement of Malaysian employees.

According to Deputy Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs Nuttavudh Photisaro, initial investigations pointed out that the stolen visa stickers would probably be offered at high price to customers mostly from African and Asian nations.

Mr. Nuttavudh however said that the MFA has sent memos to related agencies in Thailand and Thai embassies in various countries to keep an eye for irregularities.

As for the 2,000 other visa stickers which went missing earlier, Mr. Nuttavudh admitted that it was probably a security breach in the carrier used to transport the stickers.

He said that such an incident was often found anywhere in the world, adding that the Ministry’s normal practice in the situation was to cancel the stolen stickers before issuing new ones. If the stickers were simply misplaced, they usually would be returned to the ministry within a week or two, Mr. Nuttavudh added.

The Deputy Permanent Secretary stated a long term solution to the problem is to use electronics visa (E-VISA), a measure that Thailand is planning to implement at the end of next year.

Mr. Nuttavudh admitted that there were 500 more visa stickers that were stolen from the Thai embassy in Lao PDR, but he could not make further comments for the moment pending a fact-finding investigation into the matter.

Meanwhile, Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau, Police Lieutenant General Panu Kerdlarppon, cited investigations as showing that those holding passports with the stolen visa stickers and still staying in Thailand are not criminals, but their visa requests had been rejected due to lacks of qualifications.

10/10, Einstein. Thai people don't need to buy a Thai visa to enter their own country which is....hmmmm....Thailand.

Furthermore, official visa stickers don't just 'disappear'...it usually takes an insider job to manage that, and I doubt whether the local Malay counter clerks have the appropriate clearance. A more realistic scenario is that a bored, underpaid and STUPID Thai employee of the embassy in KL decided to make a few extra bucks.

Thai people will not buy stolen Visa.

Only Farang will do such a stupid thing.

But no Thai persons were involved in the robbery, Any body else, yes!

And instead of release all the numbers on stolen visa stickers they just arrest who ever have it in they'r passport, case closed, tourist take the fall and Thais don't lose face, Like Thais always say when it's a dispute with foreign people: "you make problem" clap2.gif

SPARE, you don't get it, Thai steal visa from Embassy and sell to falang who use agent to help apply while he is at the hotel or shopping.

That's why I always go to Thai Embassy myself and get receipt when I pay to the cashier whistling.gif

• Like 1

Some people are obviously so stupid that they think they cannot be caught. Doing any amount of time in a Thai jail is not a pleasant experience.

And you are obviously so stupid you cannot perceive that this guy is a crime victim not a criminal. Maybe you should open a school for recognizing legitimate visas.

SPARE, you don't get it, Thai steal visa from Embassy and sell to falang who use agent to help apply while he is at the hotel or shopping.

That's why I always go to Thai Embassy myself and get receipt when I pay to the cashier whistling.gif

Been asked many times why I waste my time going to the consulate myself to get the visa. Why not use an agent they all ask. Answer seems pretty obvious now.