The Red Bull heir and inequality in Thailand

webfact

If I've missed something in the way of recent news in this case, please let me know.

Otherwise, it would seem this case has entirely disappeared from the news and we have no idea whether the kid has ever returned from outside Thailand or what, if anything, the authorities have done about him.

I guess that's part of the plan to let everyone forget about this nasty piece of business, and let everyone get on with their lives and business -- except, of course, the dead policeman who got run over and dragged down the street by this kid while he was speeding and drunk or high or who knows what...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone want to bet that the Red Bull heir will get a spot in Suthep's "people power" team?

Please let me know why you think that. I didn't know there was a connection between the RB guy and Suthep.

Please share your info with us. Thx.

Edited by Nickymaster

Any helpful suggestions?

With respect, if you intend to spend a long time here learn to speak Thai as fluently as possible so that you do not need the services of an interpreter. Fair enough if you've only been here less than a year but more than that you will find the effort is well repayed in so many ways.

Had the hit-and-run taken place before the advent of the Web, it may well have been mentioned in newspapers and discussed around dinner tables. But now, with message boards and Facebook, among other outlets, their dissent is easier to quantify, and the narrative of a princeling, a silver Ferrari, and a dead policeman becomes all the more vivid.

Clever way to finish the article. More or less tells us what we all know - this kind of cr..p has been

going on forever. All the shouting from the rooftops ain't going to change a thing.

You might want to read the article before you reply to it.

It says the inequality is getting less in Thailand.

That means it is changing. The equality is still very wide apart but it is going in the right direction in spite of the Nay Sayers.

On the other hand I believe you are right standing on roof tops and shouting has not helped a bit. But if it turns you on go for it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/12/12/11/27/wealthy-teen-avoids-prison-because-he-is-wealthy

it seems as if that even happens in the land of the free......

A judge in the US has decided not to sentence a 16-year-old to prison for killing four pedestrians in a drunk-driving accident because his lawyers successfully argued that he suffered from a severe case of "affluenza".

If I've missed something in the way of recent news in this case, please let me know.

Otherwise, it would seem this case has entirely disappeared from the news and we have no idea whether the kid has ever returned from outside Thailand or what, if anything, the authorities have done about him.

I guess that's part of the plan to let everyone forget about this nasty piece of business, and let everyone get on with their lives and business -- except, of course, the dead policeman who got run over and dragged down the street by this kid while he was speeding and drunk or high or who knows what...

exactly my thoughts, did he ever come back after his fake illness or is he still holed up in a plush hotel in Singa or HK?

exactly my thoughts, did he ever come back after his fake illness or is he still holed up in a plush hotel in Singa or HK?

Don't know if he came back. Media has stopped covering this other than a letter to the BP a few days ago.

Thailand is not so bad. In Holland the then famous footballer Patrick Kluivert was speeding in Amsterdam, killed 1 of a couple in a borrowed (and poorly insured) BMW M3. He walked away with it too.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2844/Archief/archief/article/detail/431138/1996/05/15/Rechtbank-acht-Ajax-vedette-schuldig-aan-dodelijk-ongeluk-Patrick-Kluivert-krijgt-werkstraf.dhtml

He had to work 240 hours = 6 weeks (to be finished in 1 year) on projects like gardening, maintenance blablabla.

It was a red convertible M3 and NOT insured. And the Dutch; always pointing finger to those 'terribly corrupted countries as Thailand'.

Are they? When?

Their Embassy in Bangkok is corrupt, the law system in Holland is corrupt.

Careful, now.

Go to Klong Plem (Lad Phrayo) prison, ask for permission to visit Mr. Phasith Somboon, ex accountant of the Dutch Embassy. During 2009/2010 he was able to steal simply 18.000.000 of Consular money + made fake suppliers / invoices. He (ONLY) has been thrown in jail for 28 years. Go talk with him and listen what he has to say......the embassy is corrupted up to the last bone. The Dutch staff involved have walked away with it.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Give credit where credit is due. The accused has a very skilled criminal defense lawyer who is using long standing legal procedures to delay the proceedings. The lawyer is there to advocate and represent his client and that's what he is doing and he's earning every baht he's charging the defendant. As much as it plays to the crowd, the defendant isn't living a stress free life. I'm quite sure that he's worried about this. True, that doesn't give comfort or support the concept of justice as we want to see it, but the accused is not guilty until it is otherwise proven.

And no, I don't defend the driver. Based upon what I have read, I think he's as guilty as they come, but this is how the Thai judicial system operates. It is no secret and anyone who has experienced the court system first hand will often walk away with his/her own tale of disappointment. This is a judicial system that sees fit to appoint 4 non judges to a constitutional "court", so one shouldn't be surprised when other weaknesses are identified.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/12/the-affluenza-defense-judge-rules-rich-kids-rich-kid-ness-makes-him-not-liable-for-deadly-drunk-driving-accident/

Same kind of tragedy has recently happened in ......................Texas, 4 dead, 2 maimed the kid admitted he was drunk too.

'affluenza' was the excuse.

Money talks everywhere.

Edited by wiki12

• 1 month later...

This is just a minor symptom of a chronic and permanent disease.

In this context the political turmoil is a sad and tragic joke.

Suthep has no comment on this story, or any story that criticizes his faction. The reds have no comment on this story, or any comment that invokes a lawsuit.

Saving face has cost more lives than the Crusades did. Let's have more stories where the people involved are so powerful that only an initial is mentioned "someone whose name begins with P"....

Now that's real progress......

I think the most shocking part of this is that he killed a cop. Normally, it's a huge thing to kill police, even accidentally but here it seems to be a non event. Amazing.

Chalerm's son allegedly killed a cop. There were, apparently, initially, witnesses, but nothing. Equally amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

He's very young to take so long to recover from the flu. Is he still in Singapore?

Does it matter? He is escaping justice no matter where he is.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not the only member of Thailand's elite to be on the lam.

• Like 2

Any talk of boycotts or small articles in the New Yorker would have little or no effect - a boycott by a few is just a personal choice and does not even regster on the multinational profits.

there is one way to make the point though

Go to the Singapore Grand Prix, buy some tickets for the main stand and during the race unfurl a large banner saying "Red Bull Murderer, Justice for yarayuth", and that would have some effect shaming both Singapore and Thailand as it would get a global audience and many people talking about it.

• Like 1

Give credit where credit is due. The accused has a very skilled criminal defense lawyer who is using long standing legal procedures to delay the proceedings. The lawyer is there to advocate and represent his client and that's what he is doing and he's earning every baht he's charging the defendant. As much as it plays to the crowd, the defendant isn't living a stress free life. I'm quite sure that he's worried about this. True, that doesn't give comfort or support the concept of justice as we want to see it, but the accused is not guilty until it is otherwise proven.

And no, I don't defend the driver. Based upon what I have read, I think he's as guilty as they come, but this is how the Thai judicial system operates. It is no secret and anyone who has experienced the court system first hand will often walk away with his/her own tale of disappointment. This is a judicial system that sees fit to appoint 4 non judges to a constitutional "court", so one shouldn't be surprised when other weaknesses are identified.

Just had to get your little dig in didn't you GK...................coffee1.gif , if you think he is stressed, i think you are wrong and the guy dosn't give a monkeys, home can be anywhere if you are RICH, example think Dubia whistling.gif