Nationwide Launch Of Bicycle Lanes

george

I am amazed by this cynicism. Bike lanes offer a great way to get around, even when existing arteries are clogged. As a bicyclist in San Francisco, the most important reason for having bike lanes is that it gives would-be cyclists a sense of comfort.

Personally, I preferred to try and masquerade as a bike messenger and avoided the bike lanes and commanded a lane of traffic. That wouldn't work so well here.

Other places, like Beijing have isolated pathways which can move huge numbers of people. It works.

As for the SUV argument, nothing beats seeing the mayor on a bike every so often, especially when his support base is more conservative.

I hope Thailand can pull it off, it will be good for the country and the people.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think us cynics are more concerned about shit talking Thai politicions than the merits of bike riding. There is a certain amount of positions allotted in every countries Public service for idiots.

Most ideas like this in Thailand go through a distinct 6 stage process.

1.) Wild enthusiasm :D

2.) Slow disillusionment :D

3.) Total despair :D

4.) A search for scapegoats to blame :D

5.) Banishment of the innocent :D

6.) Promotion of the non-participant :o

This is not a thing limited to Thailand. The current Kleptocracy running Thailand is probably as about as incestuous and nepotistic as I would ever like to see. A lot of fuedal China moved to Thailand when Mao took over.

If a high ranking Thai Rak Thai member owned a large bike factory you might see this idea kick off.

A ludicrous idea. Kongsak got the job because his wife is Thaksin's wife's secretary or something like that and Thaksin felt strong enough after the 2005 elections to thumb his nose at the TRT factions and appoint only close friends and associates he could trust to senior cabinet positions. This is not the first silly idea he has come up with and he is shunned even within TRT.

I am amazed by this cynicism. Bike lanes offer a great way to get around, even when existing arteries are clogged. As a bicyclist in San Francisco, the most important reason for having bike lanes is that it gives would-be cyclists a sense of comfort.

I hope Thailand can pull it off, it will be good for the country and the people.

...and I'm amazed by your naivety. I see no cynicism on this topic thread at all.....only realism. This is not San Francisco.

Footpaths/pavements/sidewalks (whatever) are provided for pedestrians here but use them at your peril lest you be mown down by an inconsiderate, irresponsible and antisocial motorcyclist.

Motorcycle lanes are provided on main roads here, and these lanes can be used by bicycles, but, again, use them at your peril lest you be mown down by inconsiderate, irresponsible and antisocial motorist using the lane as an overtaking lane ("me first", remember?) or by going against the traffic flow.

It's a "free-for-all" and dedicated bicycle lanes would be added mayhem........further more, I can count on one hand the number of bicycles in my locality, so what's the point?

See, he is right, the first thing you have to understand to survive traffic here is the pecking order

1 Busses

2 Trucks

3 Cars and pickups.

4 motorcycles

5 Bicycles

6 pedestrian.

Bike are to close to the bottom of the list, size is always right in traffic here. :o

See, he is right, the first thing you have to understand to survive traffic here is the pecking order

1 Busses

2 Trucks

3 Cars and pickups.

4 motorcycles

5 Bicycles

6 pedestrian.

Bike are to close to the bottom of the list, size is always right in traffic here. :o

assuming you could even avoid not being creamed into just another pile of roadkill from those higher up in the transportation pecking order, did anyone actually consider that any type of aerobic activity in the smog-laden air of bangkok is actually detrimental to one's health?

--trog

Also, the more passengers in a vehicle the higher up the pecking order--Pickup trucks with a load of construction guys in the back can do pretty much whatever they want.

Bike lanes are theoretically a good idea--but so are sidewalks.

Until there is law enforcement, nothing will work well. Take a look at the Pedestrian cross walks.

Well to be fair... Bike Advocacy begins with Mass Bike Rides.. headed by some DH politician riding a kilometer, then being picked up by his driver..

Actually, it would be nice to see those useless Military types, the one with stars on their epaulets.. ophs.. I guess that is not the right insignia.. Instead of those MACHO MACHO YMCA supporters.. do something for the general public.

A start.. at some universities.. requires students to use bicycles to get to class.. yet.. TIT, they must dodge the motocyclist late for class.. opphs.. that not right.. Thai students don't know when classes start.. They just show up..

Actually, ATB riding is alive and well.. and a thrill.. Most village roads are a thrill especially with an "Eddie Dog" hacking away are your feet..as you race..

Bike lanes.. keep it the way it is.. Check out Paris as an example..

Interior Ministry to encourage people to bike

Commuters, especially government officials, will be encouraged to ride bicycles for good health and energy saving

We can be sure that this last joke will have great success among the Thais.

Bike !

No really, this is too much.

Maybe underground lanes with aircon and TV? (and somtam sellers on the way)

;-)

Oh my... it's getting better and better.

Interior Ministry officials to be told to bike to work: Kongsak

Caretaker Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana said he would campaign for Interior Ministry officials to bike to work to help the country conserve energy.

He said he would ask provincial governors to set up bike lanes so that the officials could show example for the general members of the public to use bikes instead of cars.

Kongsak said he hoped all Interior Ministry officials would be asked to turn to use bikes.

Can you imagine... What a sight ! Many thai civil servants, with their nice white uniform, leaving their mercedes or BMW at home, and sweating like pigs on their bike to go to office...

I love this country.

• 5 years later...

If the bike 'lanes' are just marked parts of already narrow roadways, they'll just be ignored. Sounds like another half-baked populist scheme. ermm.gif

If actual paved paths are set up in areas as short cuts or save passageways, I think more people would bike.

Here in Chiang Mai it is often better to walk on the street. Bike lanes would destroy that if they were used that is.