Car Driving the wrong way up a one way street - who cares?

Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself getting more and more annoyed as times goes by; especially after a few close calls this last year (including a motorcycle with no lights that drove across the road and over the center divider as I was making a u-turn). I missed him by no more than 2 inches and my heart was pounding out of my chest. The amount of cars and motorcycles driving on the wrong side of the road seems to be increasing. I didn't use to blast my horn at people but now I do.

It is very dangerous out there. I have seen about 6 major accidents with fatalities in the last 2-3 months alone; including one last night where a car in the pouring rain mowed down two!! street lights along the center divider across from Moobaan Tanawan in Sansai. There were about 15-18 rescue workers, police, etc. on scene. Considering the amount of debris on the road and the damage, I doubt anyone survived. I think people need to re-evaluate driving motorcycles in this country. it has become too dangerous.

• Like 1

What's with 'Roundabouts'--surely the principle is easy enough to grasp?? I realize that the Thais can't accept the common rule that the driver already on the roundabout has priority--but, surely, going round the same clockwise direction isn't that hard to do? I approach every side road leading onto the roundabout ahead of me 'assuming' that Somchai will just charge out.

• Like 1

I was given a parking ticket by a policeman for parking outside the original Kasems and leaving my vehicle unattended for a few minutes on orange/white lines. The policeman, who wasn't wearing a crash helmet, then got on his motorbike, turned around and rode in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic along the one way street in front of Kasems. You need to chose to laugh or shout in Thailand.

• Like 1

What's with 'Roundabouts'--surely the principle is easy enough to grasp?? I realize that the Thais can't accept the common rule that the driver already on the roundabout has priority--but, surely, going round the same clockwise direction isn't that hard to do? I approach every side road leading onto the roundabout ahead of me 'assuming' that Somchai will just charge out.

According to the question in the Thai driving license written examination, you give way to the right at roundabouts - the same as the UK. However, nobody has ever told this to Thais.

• Like 1

At least driving the wrong way on a one way street the driver might be able see ahead.

What blows me away is the high number of drivers in the wrong lane around blind corners.

It's almost like this is a rule for driving in Thailand. Forget about training and education.

Isn't that common sense like not jumping out of windows or sticking body parts into fires?

Chaps, if you think CM is messed up, try driving in the South. Fkingh*ll, everyone undercuts at junctions (cars, bikes, trucks)--even the cops--and the propensity for dick-warts to pull little wheelies on their souped up plastic pigs at every opportunity really is mind-numbing.

Like UG, one of the bugbears is annoying farangs getting on their soapbox and pointing fingers.

I just tend to laugh to myself, an old lady on a bicycle comming out of a soi on my left,they never slow down or look to see if its safe to enter traffic, the look on her face when she saw the truck about 2 meters from her and the wobble of the front wheel when she tried to turn while being off balance and then finally the skip skip skip of her left foot on the ground trying to stop and not fall off,priceless. Then not 5 minutes later the same again from a guy on a motocy. And dont you love the trip home at night on the unlit roads with about 1 in ten of them will have a working tail light and 2 in ten will have a working headlight and all dressed in dark clothes so you see them when youre 20 meters from running up their ass.

At least driving the wrong way on a one way street the driver might be able see ahead.

What blows me away is the high number of drivers in the wrong lane around blind corners.

It's almost like this is a rule for driving in Thailand. Forget about training and education.

Isn't that common sense like not jumping out of windows or sticking body parts into fires?

That's an interesting point. I've often argued that basic animal instincts, like the survival instinct, should stop a lot of the nonsense like pulling out blind onto busy roads without looking. I stop and look because of my survival instinct, not because of rules. How do you overcome that most basic of instincts? That fascinates me.

• Like 2

My latest near miss was a "tattooed whitey" with "tgf" on the back of his dream or like, driving the wrong way in Big C car park (yes, they have arrows to show which way to drive) concentrating on his smart phone screen rather than the way ahead. The hatred in his face as he screamed abuse through my side window (closed) was hilarious. He didn't have a helmet on, what a <deleted>. Actually, I tell a lie, as that was over a week ago. Every day I have near misses with the locals. But I know how to drive here, expect the unexpected and react accordingly.

Hang on, just recall an even more recent incident with a foreigner, this time a resident one on his big motorbike, pulls along side me at a crossroads on the railway crossing, on my right, occupying the wrong side of the road. As I cross the road, he turns left. Again no helmet in morning rush hour.

• Like 1

1st thing i check on buying a mbike--be sure the horn works--i use it all the time---it is the most important part on my mbike...facepalm.gif

Good to see you have your priorities in place.

Must be a hoot watching you buying a new mbike, testing every horn... :)

I have been here for six years i get very frustrated by the horrific driving here, but have to remember a very high proportion of ther drivers have never been properly taught,

They drive cars like motor bikes, at night at factory shift close or change we choose to stay off the roads and wait because of the swarms of motor bikes with no rear lights

I sent my wife to driving school and she learnt very well, it was worth every penny i spent

A friend sent his step daughter to driving school she came home two days later and said look I have my driving licience, please now buy me a car, my friend took her to a deserted area and asked her to show him her driving she could not reverse or turn a corner but had a driving licience

So far so good some 150,000 plus kilometers

We need to remember be calm, I am not always ! ! ! , if we are involved in an accident we are the ones at fault, as one judge said if we were not here and on the road the accodent would not have happened QED

• Like 1

Motorcyclists are the worst offenders. I was crossing Silom Road, waiting for a gap and then stepped off the curb to cross. A motorcycle clipped me at the same second I stepped off the curb who was driving the wrong way. Guess I forgot to look both ways even though its one way. Cop at the corner didn't get even get out of his booth.

• Like 2