Heavy rain to continue as Bangkok monitors flooding

webfact

Heavy rain to continue as BMA monitors flooding
The Nation

30214820-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Heavy rain influenced by Typhoon Man-yi is anticipated in 80 per cent of the Bangkok area next week, a senior Bangkok Metropolitan Administration official said yesterday.

Several roads prone to flooding were inundated after heavy rain on Thursday and yesterday morning, said Adisak Khantee, director of the BMA's Department of Drainage and Sewerage.

A number of drains are awaiting dredging. BMA officials have been stationed at several flood-prone locations to take immediate action, he said, adding that frequent rain would continue all this month, as Typhoon Man-yi is expected to be followed by Typhoon Usagi.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-14

A number of drains are awaiting dredging.

Hmmmm, news flash... The rainy season is pretty predictable. It tends to occur at the same time every year. So why were the drains not cleaned BEFORE the rainy season started?

Right, advanced planning is not a Thai trait.

• Like 1

In the area where I live, the drains were cleaned out toward the end of the dry season (I think they use prisoners to do the cleaning). The drains in the Moo bahn were I live were also cleaned out. Out on the main road the drains are now pretty well plugged up again.

I don't know if it's an issue of planning. There is a lot of refuse, dirt from construction sites etc. that gets washed down those drains during the raining season.

It's a perennial problem and I don't know if it is the fault of this particular problem or of the BMA. Should they keep on top of this stuff? Yes. Do they control the weather? No.

A number of drains are awaiting dredging.

Hmmmm, news flash... The rainy season is pretty predictable. It tends to occur at the same time every year. So why were the drains not cleaned BEFORE the rainy season started?

Right, advanced planning is not a Thai trait.

It's all about the money, money moeny,... and about the bidding, bidding, bidding for another flood scam problem. They never care about the real problem, and Sepetember and October are usually the months to watch out for..

In other words, like usual, nothing has been done again, except our PM travelinf around the world, Ploddi blasting environmental groups, and Scamer collecting money under the table and planning their revenge on the court who has temporarily put the Trillion Kachillian water SCAM project on a hold...

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

Perhaps K. Adisak at BMA could explain why tropical storm Man-Yi (not a typhoon), which is located to the east of Japan, is the root cause of the rain and flooding in Bangkok?

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/western-pacific/2013/Tropical-Storm-Man-yi

Also, he says "Typhoon Man-yi is expected to be followed by Typhoon Usagi." Typhoon Usagi? But there is no Typhoon Usagi yet on any weather map.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/ab/abpwsair.jpg

Perhaps K. Adisak at BMA could explain why tropical storm Man-Yi (not a typhoon), which is located to the east of Japan, is the root cause of the rain and flooding in Bangkok?

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/western-pacific/2013/Tropical-Storm-Man-yi

Also, he says "Typhoon Man-yi is expected to be followed by Typhoon Usagi." Typhoon Usagi? But there is no Typhoon Usagi yet on any weather map.

Well I can guarantee that Usagi will be the next typhoon/storm in the western pacific, simply because it comes after Man-Yi on the predetermined typhoon name list. Doesn't mean it will have an effect on Thailand though. Edited by Gulfsailor

Is there any flooding in the bang bua thing areas of nontaburi or up dates on the area as I am away working

So would like to get some up date info please

No flooding and you know I live near you. Just loads and loads of rain. Just send me a pm next time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, Usagi is listed as the next tropical storm name for the western Pacific. That doesn't mean it will be a typhoon, though. And right now, there is not even a depression or low out there that could develop into a tropical storm, and when one does, how on earth would anyone right now have any idea what the track will be. What are BMA talking about???

But then, I suppose this could be the setup to blame everything on the weather....

There must be so many foreigners who live in flood risk areas, and maybe cannot move home-work-wife-money ??? What I don't understand are the ones that shout and scream about the situ in BKK and other areas, but will not get out.

I feel sorry for someone who was not aware initially of big time floods and cannot move, through circumstances. All I say is get out-move to higher ground, or area IF YOU CAN.

There must be so many foreigners who live in flood risk areas, and maybe cannot move home-work-wife-money ???   What I don't understand are the ones that shout and scream about the situ in BKK and other areas, but will not get out.

I feel sorry for someone who was not aware initially of big time floods and cannot move, through circumstances. All I say is get out-move to higher ground, or area IF YOU CAN.

The big floods were a one off thing and with management of those big dams don't have to happen again. I all its 40 years it never flooded here. I love my home here. No need to move as long as some competent people monitor those dams and give safety a priority over farmers. They did not do that at that time because of that bloody rice scam.

• Like 2

There must be so many foreigners who live in flood risk areas, and maybe cannot move home-work-wife-money ??? What I don't understand are the ones that shout and scream about the situ in BKK and other areas, but will not get out.

The big floods were a one off thing and with management of those big dams don't have to happen again. I all its 40 years it never flooded here. I love my home here. No need to move as long as some competent people monitor those dams and give safety a priority over farmers. They did not do that at that time because of that bloody rice scam.

Understand your post very well, The problem is you have to rely on the honesty and the minister in charge of the problem, as we know people relied on him the last time and he admitted he should have released water from the dams earlier. We tend to trust, then get hit by their errors.

Can you afford to trust again ??? It is near the same as all our problems, Get hit bad once, GET OUT. I learned that way for the better.

Looking back on the dredging work and flood prevention that was promised, it is not been done fully. Chances are if the rain persists the same will near happen.

If the powers care so much, how is it many are still waiting for compo ???

I rent in Udon Thani, can walk away if needed, but chose a flood free area.

GOOD LUCK to you -keep your fingers crossed.

I don't worry one bit to be honest. Like i said it was a one off thing with a lot of things combined. The area is not naturally flood prone at all. It was one of the last ones going under. Like i said they are monitoring the situation much better now and it is not a problem. I seriously don't think they will let something like this happen again. They do learn from mistakes if it costs them enough.

Nice to see Chalerm and Yingluck have solved the drainage problem with having to resort to farang 'experts'

such as Dutch engineers.

They have drained the budget and flooded their bank accounts biggrin.png

I was flooded for 1 month in 2011...I can help myself only with cynicism when I see how the government did nothing to avoid the next flooding...

• Like 2

I don't worry one bit to be honest. Like i said it was a one off thing with a lot of things combined. The area is not naturally flood prone at all. It was one of the last ones going under. Like i said they are monitoring the situation much better now and it is not a problem. I seriously don't think they will let something like this happen again. They do learn from mistakes if it costs them enough.

I was not trying to be clever with my post, because I'm alright, just feeling for the people that got hit last time.

If your happy with the situ, then good, being comfortable with things is important.

I doubt it cost THEM personally too much as most of THEM were protected. PM area example.

Where I am originally from they are having the same mental challenges regarding the first snow fall. Everyone is surprised and traffic jams are horrendous as if nobody could anticipate that snow is around the corner. They get regularly caught with summer tires and get the winter tires mounted AFTER the first few snow falls.

Would you really be surprised if the guy would have said there is no rain season in Thailand?

I was not trying to be clever with my post, because I'm alright, just feeling for the people that got hit last time.

If your happy with the situ, then good, being comfortable with things is important.

I doubt it cost THEM personally too much as most of THEM were protected. PM area example.

Don't forget the government who lets this happen again will have a hard time getting votes next time. I almost wish for a flood to wipe out the red shirts it would be worth a month of misery. On the other hand.. democrats are corrupt too.

Don't forget the government who lets this happen again will have a hard time getting votes next time. I almost wish for a flood to wipe out the red shirts it would be worth a month of misery. On the other hand.. democrats are corrupt too.

I personally think it would not be hard to win next time, if the money keeps flowing via the farmers. but had to laugh at your comments about wishing the water to flood out the bad eggs. Corruption is rife among most Thais, but with the Dems it could well have more of a chance to be not so -in your face- like now. I just wish for a government that could make some inroads into the problem.

This is the third piece of nonsensical weather reporting in as many weeks. Just a couple of days ago storms were threatening "northern provinces" like Chantaburi and Trat, and a couple of weeks back a tropical storm heading inland from Hong Kong towards Guangxi on a north-westerly course was apparently threatening Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son and Tak.

Are these weather forecasters properly qualified? Do they have any geographical knowledge whatsoever?

Do not complain

Use common sense:

50 mm rain in 1 hours is the same as 50 liter per 1m2.

Even i Bergen, Norway where it rain 260 days in 2012, can not handle so much water. There will be flooding all over when it rains like this.....

(Last year in Pattaya we got 221 mm rain in 24 hours, that is 221 liter per 1 m2.... (1 x 1 meter))

If we go to a city in Germany, and compare that wih the city Bergen in Norway. The city Bergen are using 3 times bigger drain system that required.

NO CITY CAN HANDLE SO MUCH RAIN....

There will be flooding, you can complain as much as you want. After cleaning the pipe, there will be a lot of sand after the first haevy rain...

I have been working in this business, and i know....

• Like 1

Do not complain

Use common sense:

50 mm rain in 1 hours is the same as 50 liter per 1m2.

Even i Bergen, Norway where it rain 260 days in 2012, can not handle so much water. There will be flooding all over when it rains like this.....

(Last year in Pattaya we got 221 mm rain in 24 hours, that is 221 liter per 1 m2.... (1 x 1 meter))

If we go to a city in Germany, and compare that wih the city Bergen in Norway. The city Bergen are using 3 times bigger drain system that required.

NO CITY CAN HANDLE SO MUCH RAIN....

There will be flooding, you can complain as much as you want. After cleaning the pipe, there will be a lot of sand after the first haevy rain...

I have been working in this business, and i know....

Temporarily flooding something is not the problem. I guess you haven't been here in 2011. An other guy who thinks he knows it all.

You are 100% right.. there will always be some flooding.. but it usually does not stay flooded for months.