Datc's shiny website "easy refill online" does NOT work - at all!

labik

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/happyrefill.html

Not in Thailand at the moment and my sim card is set to expire later today. I know I should have dealt with this before but their website looks so professional I figured there isn't any worry. I haven't been in Thailand for a while anyways and couldn't.

There are so many problems with their website I can't begin to list them. Selecting their "easy refill via dtac web" does not work and simply gives a "SORRY" reply every time.

I finally, painstakingly registered for a full dtac account, and that took several tries because you have to enter certain categories in a precisely "only in Thailand" kind of way.

After finally getting fully registered and giving every last personal detail about me in order to do so, I logged in and guess what -- when you are logged in you can no longer access the "easy refill via dtac web" but instead it sends you over to some completely worthless website instead, meaning I have NO way of topping up -- they only offer "cashcard refill" in that situation. That doesn't help me as I'm not in Thailand and can't get a special Cashcard. There are NO customer service contact's provided, and on the many "SORRY" errors I got, there was never any explanation about why.

Any more suggestions? Looks like my phone number is simply going to expire, which is a major inconvenience as now I will no longer have access to my bank account (I must receive a passcode to my dtac # each time I log into my bank).

WOW.

i just went to the web site and clicked on the "refill now" button on the right below the log in area and the first time no problem I got the refill screen asking for my number, email, amount and payment method.

Maybe you should try a different web browser.

Yep, already went through that. In fact that was the first way that I tried, many times now. (Worth noting that when clicking your link directly, it gives a garbled screen -- have to go through the main menu.) Tried it again just now, same problem.

i just went to the web site and clicked on the "refill now" button on the right below the log in area and the first time no problem I got the refill screen asking for my number, email, amount and payment method.

Did you guys actually enter your full name, credit card info, exp date and so on, and click "go"? It looks like you probably didn't. I'll post a screen here ( http://i.imgur.com/yEY7Jqr.jpg ) - see below. As suggested I also tried two different browsers.

Note that this isn't the only way I tried. I also completely registered online with dtac (enter email, password, passport #, full name, everything except my grandmas hair color) and to no avail, couldn't get any topup option.

yEY7Jqr.jpg

It seems you have some sort of conflict between your browser and the site; I just successfully topped up 500 baht and didn't get the screens you were getting.

I know it may sound 'old school' but I would try deleting you internet history & cookies and trying to get the site again through this link:

https://store.dtac.co.th/mobile/irefill?lang=EN&go=eshopTopup.topup

EDIT: On the second page when selecting how much you want to top-up by, I had to double-click on the amount until the number (500 in this case) was highlighted as the checkboxs don't appear to be working correctly. I am using IE.

Edited by chrisinth

Any more suggestions?

1.) Ring +662 202 7100 and ask to extend validity, they can do this by taking some of your remaining balance. I think the fee is 2 baht/30 days.

2.) Drop an email to [email protected] ask them to extend validity.

3.) Assuming you have IR enabled and a signal, Dial one of the following codes to extend credit time for 30, 90, or 180 days respectively.

*113*30#
*113*90#
*113*180#

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html

4.) Use the DTAC/Happy e-Service platform, assumes you've registered for this, to request day-giveaway. Requires OTP.

5.) Ask someone in Thailand to add value to your SIM, I think any top-up of 50 baht or more will extend validity 60 days.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the replies. Where to start.

I finally got it to go. What did I do? After some ten+ tries, I finally decided, on the bank name option, to enter "other" and then hand type my bank instead of using the automatic pull down option, even though the pull down was 100% correct. Bingo, it finally went through. Either that or someone at the website finally woke up.

It topped up 50 baht but only gave me 30 days. I expect they'll give the extra 60 days (30 + 60 = 90) later today, I hope, as it's usually been the case in the past when I topped up while in TLand.

A1Str8, big thanks for that offer as I was pretty much needing it! Hopefully I'm set, but that's super cool to help a guy out like that.

Greensnapper, your words reflect exactly what I was feeling. I've found actual dtac air service ok, but their website needs lots of tuning.

Chrisinth, thanks for confirming it is indeed working. I was convinced it was wasn't.

lomatopo, wow if I knew all those options I would have been much better off early this morning. I think I am going to run through some of those codes later today and top this baby up so that I don't have to go through this again for a while.

Todd, that's a pretty good option I never knew about. You tried it yourself? I notice on their free trial option, they don't offer Thailand. I wonder why not?

I finally got it to go. What did I do? After some ten+ tries, I finally decided, on the bank name option, to enter "other" and then hand type my bank instead of using the automatic pull down option, even though the pull down was 100% correct. Bingo, it finally went through. Either that or someone at the website finally woke up.

It topped up 50 baht but only gave me 30 days. I expect they'll give the extra 60 days (30 + 60 = 90) later today, I hope, as it's usually been the case in the past when I topped up while in TLand.

A1Str8, big thanks for that offer as I was pretty much needing it! Hopefully I'm set, but that's super cool to help a guy out like that.

Greensnapper, your words reflect exactly what I was feeling. I've found actual dtac air service ok, but their website needs lots of tuning.

Chrisinth, thanks for confirming it is indeed working. I was convinced it was wasn't.

lomatopo, wow if I knew all those options I would have been much better off early this morning. I think I am going to run through some of those codes later today and top this baby up so that I don't have to go through this again for a while.

Todd, that's a pretty good option I never knew about. You tried it yourself? I notice on their free trial option, they don't offer Thailand. I wonder why not?

Yes I've used it 20 times or so when I get an urgent text from the nieces and nephews - it's works well, no clue why the trial doesn't work I thought it did, perhaps IP outside of Thailand - could be wrong though. BTW when you're back in the kingdom I asked dTAc to extend my sim for a year so every time I top up I'm good, current expiry Sep 4th 2014.

In addition to the codes lomatopo mentioned, the codes in the attached still work (at least the ones that I use) including extending activation time and transfer from one mobile to another. It is from 2008 I think, but good info.

DTAC Happy Users Manual.txt

Have fun.

and top this baby up so that I don't have to go through this again for a while.

Note that service providers have been cutting back on validity periods, and publishing usage requirements, so it may be that you have a 365 day validity but you may be required to use the number, or refill it, at least once every 90 days.

For example, DTAC/Happy have this in their terms & conditions page for the "Simple SIM":

The users agree to use this service by making a call (only charged call) or making the minimum refill for every 90 day. In case there is no such action occurs during the period, the users permit the service provider to temporarily suspend their numbers for the period of 45 days, and after the 45 days, the numbers will be terminated unconditionally.

In the past service providers may not have enforced these terms but with a looming number shortage there may be some pressure to recycle numbers after ~ 135 days of non-use.

One could enable IR, and take a few top-up cards with them and, while roaming in another country, refill for 50 baht. YMMV.

Edited by lomatopo

Quick update.

Cool deal. Several hours (more like a day) after my topup, dtac gave me a full 365 extension (365 days from day of topup).

lomatopo, I concur with what you are saying and thanks for those heads up. For some strange reason this time dtac gave me a full year. You are right, when I topped up in September 2012, they made me top up four different times (90 days each). Now they've gone back to 365, which was the way they originally had it in early 2010 when I first bought the sim chip.

As far as numbers expiring, that's interesting. Can certainly see it happening, but I haven't had it yet. From Sep 2012 until now Sep 2013 I haven't used my phone for anything at all, so guess it's a random occurance.

That aryty.com website listed above by ToddWeston, I'm still tempted to try it for my other sim #, which is AIS 1-2 Call, but I haven't gotten around to it as I'm super busy doing all kinds of other errands these days. If AIS offers those extension codes the way Dtac does, I'll try that as well.

Because I use the phone number to receive bank PIN codes when I want to log into my bank in Cambodia. I meant to say I don't make outward calls or sms's... Also, I like keeping at least one sim/number open so if and when I go back to TL I'll have it ready.