All Non O Visas from Hull now need 800K Bht in the bank

This strikes me as the results of too many low lifes exploiting the system - I have been out here since 84 and have seen the mucking about so many tourists do .

Get a retirement visa..... makes life much easier.

How many people in the UK have 800.000 Baht (around 16000 GBP) to put in a Thai bank? Your thinking is very selfish.

• Like 2

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ubonjoe, on 18 Sept 2013 - 04:06, said:snapback.png

Just because you are leaving every year does not mean you can't get an extension as long as you do your first extension at the time of year when you know you will be here for a couple of months. You only need a single re- entry permit to make your trip.
Why make border runs every 90 days unless you really have to.

The point I was making was that I wanted to do an extension based on marriage but Si Ratcha immigration didn't want to give me one, plus the exit stamp every year because I had to return to the UK annually.

Thai immigration actually told me to get non'o' visas every year and do border runs.

THIS MUST BE AN UK REGULATION.

SEE HERE FROM THE US EMBASSY WEBSITE:

General Documents Required for all Non Immigrant Visas: - Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page). - One visa application form completely filled out (download) - Two passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months. - A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance ($500 per person and $1,000 per family) - For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter - For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name

THAISABAI

We are talking about visa requirements.

What you highlighted is an entry requirement.

General Documents Required for all Non Immigrant Visas

General Documents Required for all Non Immigrant Visas: - Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page). - One visa application form completely filled out (download) - Two passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months. - A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance ($500 per person and $1,000 per family) - For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter - For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name

THAISABAI

We are talking about visa requirements.

What you highlighted is an entry requirement.

NO, IT SAYS CLEARLY GENERAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ALL NON IMMIGRANT VISAS!

IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE DETAILS, GO HERE:

http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com/visa_requirements.html#NON-IMMIGRANT:32VISA

I AM ALWAYS GETTING MY MULTIPLE ENTRY "O" BY PRESENTING THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE OF MY SON IN THAILAND (I AM NOT EVEN MARRIED).

It isn't "scamming" the system if you just get a non-O with your marriage certificates (I have one set from the Thai embassy and one from the US embassy), your wife's house register and ID and no income proof. I used to be on this and it worked out well. I was leaving every few months anyway, and when I came back I would get 90 more days. Once I quit going abroad for work, I just hopped over the border, which is convenient if you live near a neighboring country. It gives you an excuse to travel. If you don't want to travel or spend much money, you just cross the border, do a little shopping and come back and you have 90 more days. Yes, it is a hassle, but easier than coming up with whatever sum they decide on. Of course, if you aren't near a border, I can see how this would be a major pain. I used to get my border runs done before noon, so it wasn't a big deal due to my location.

Edited by dao16

This strikes me as the results of too many low lifes exploiting the system - I have been out here since 84 and have seen the mucking about so many tourists do .

How many people in the UK have 800.000 Baht (around 16000 GBP) to put in a Thai bank? Your thinking is very selfish.
Do you really think that is an excessive amount...the price of a cheapo car? Especially for someone who fancies himself an expatriate. That is the bare minimum IMO and it should be maybe 10-20x multiple of that if one intends to live in a foreign country, especially if one isn't working.

It is an excessive amount for the average UK working class citizen. How many of these people do you think can afford to buy a cheapo new car? None, they would either pay it on HP, or get a bank loan.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree If you can't spare Baht 800.000 in the bank.

You shouldn't be contemplating staying in Thailand.

That amount wouldn't furnish my UK house.

This is madness. Now you need 800k in the bank simply for the privilege of spending 90 days with your spouse? What on earth is going on?

So you must have proof that your wife has taken your name? My wife does not have my name, there must be many other expats likewise. What does it matter if your wife takes your name or not? I know TiT.
It's in the UK not Thailand that this mess is coming from.

Yes you are right Ubonjoe, but, as has been already said, Hull are taking their orders from the Thai Embassy in london, of whom the boss men are Thais, although again I stand to be corrected.

So under the new rules (both Thailand and the UK) some poor sods who are married to a Thai and have children together will be unable to live together as a family.

Correct. If you haven't got the wherewithall to meet the minimum financial requirements.

No difference as far as extensions are concerned but many have exploited 'soft' visa procedures and resided on Non Imm O's with border runs,

Why is this only against UK citizens?

Australia's the same just got my non-o based on marriage and they want $50,000 aust dollars in your bank account or a monthly salary doesn't matter where the bank is. All paper work has to be in Thai and this was done at the new Perth consulate.

this is scaremongering just come back from perth on monday got my non o based on marrage muilt no money asked for and no money shown $50,000 au is 1.4 mil I think you are totaly wrong

• Like 2

Today I got my doubly Non-'O' family visa here in Canada, $140 cad and no questions asked, had my kid with me and that seemed to be enough proof for the 'farang' embassy staff I dealt with.

When I first came here I received my triple reentry in Vancouver and upon returning taking care of business I received my retirement visa in Vancouver. No problems. Seems as though they are out to get the UK citizens.

• Like 1

Do you really think that is an excessive amount...the price of a cheapo car? Especially for someone who fancies himself an expatriate. That is the bare minimum IMO and it should be maybe 10-20x multiple of that if one intends to live in a foreign country, especially if one isn't working.

It is an excessive amount for the average UK working class citizen. How many of these people do you think can afford to buy a cheapo new car? None, they would either pay it on HP, or get a bank loan.

I agree If you can't spare Baht 800.000 in the bank.

You shouldn't be contemplating staying in Thailand.

That amount wouldn't furnish my UK house.

I am referring to the average working class UK citizen. You are obviously above that, and if you got yourself a good education, ran a good business. or got yourself qualified for a good job, then good on you. I sincerely wish you all the best.

Many here need to learn the rules and the differences between Thai Immigration and Thai Embassies and Consulates. Immigration and Embassies are not remotely related ran by two different ministers so different rules. I agree with an earlier poster the few who have been thumbing there noses at Thai law have affected many who follow the law. Every time we have had one of these changes it has been the slackers who cry the loudest.

I have never understood how someone married could support there family on less money than a single retiree needs to live on about time they raised the amount.

How about MY WIFE supports ME in Thailand then??? she earns way more than the amount asked for.

So for me whats the best way to proceed, I just arrived back in the UK for an 8 weeks stay to visit parents and plan to renew my NON O mutli entry, I have a Thai bank acc with 400k in it for over a year as I planned to get a retirement visa when Im 50 (in 4 weeks), now it seems Im going to have to get my Wife to put another 400k in my Thai bank acc and wait for 3 freaking months.

Should I go back on another visa and show some money in Thailand there like the 400k ie go back on a tourist visa then take my bank book an apply for a retirement visa.............what a mess.

I dont keep more than £10k in the UK as I dont live here much at all

EDIT: BELOW INFORMATION IS INCORRECT.

I think some of you need to do some homework on Thailand and its obsure nationalistic rules that are anti-foreigner.

Firstly, under Thai law, any Thai female who marries a foreigner MUST change her name to her husbands name by registering the marraige officially.

This is to stop Thai females from marrying foreigners and then buying land and houses in her maiden name. The fact that she HAS TO change her name and make this record enables tracking to "prevent" her from officially then buying Thai land or Thai houses - or allowing the state at a later date to "claim back" all land and houses in her maiden name if she has not changed it.

Any Thai female who is "married to farang" and has not changed her surname to her hubands has :

Broken the law.

Will automatically lose any land or house she has in her name if caught - or if some snooping neighbour reports her.

Is not "married" under Thai law.

To be honest anyone who thinks that Thai law which adamently prohibits the wives of foreigners to own land or houses would not enforce her to change her family name - well, I do not know.

Secondly - if she has not changed her family name you are not actually married in the eyes of the Thai legal system - the whole process is not formally complete until she changes her name. So it seems many out there are not actually formally married - they have bits of paper saying the ceremony has been done, but you are not legally in Thai married.

So now you understand why Thai Embassies have started asking for marraige certs and ALSO her passport or ID to PROVE she has changed her name and is therefore on record as being married to a foreigner - and so loses her rights to own land or houses in Thailand.

If she has not changed her name - you are not married and you will not be issued with a Non-Imm O visa - cause you are not married in Thailand according to the letter of the law.

Edited by Mario2008
incorrect information

Just get a tourist visa for return and convert to non immigrant O at immigration after you get the 800k in account and then 2 months later do the retirement extension of stay (it is two months first time).

Thanks does the non o retirement require a police report as whislt im in the uk i could get that done and how long are they valid for in thailand 3 months 6 months after issue.

I have a condo I own in BKK but stay mostly in Pranburi should I do the new visa at hua hin or BKK I suppose what I mean is for each extension of stay every year must I go to the same immigration office?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by kannot

Just get a tourist visa for return and convert to non immigrant O at immigration after you get the 800k in account and then 2 months later do the retirement extension of stay (it is two months first time).

Please allow 3 months for even the first seasoning as Many local immigration offices now want that, be warned.

• Like 1

kannot

I do not understand your problem.

If you are fifty within a few weeks all that is required is a single entry Non O Visa based on marriage or an intention to retire.

Once back in Thailand an extension of stay based on marriage (or retirement if you have the finances) is easily obtained.

If an O visa is refused then all that is needed is a tourist visa which can be converted at immigration at a cost of 2000bht (You would , of course need to meet the financial and other requirements).

Toward the end of 90 days apply for an extension.

Edited by Sceptict11

I think some of you need to do some homework on Thailand and its obsure nationalistic rules that are anti-foreigner.

Firstly, under Thai law, any Thai female who marries a foreigner MUST change her name to her husbands name by registering the marraige officially.

This is to stop Thai females from marrying foreigners and then buying land and houses in her maiden name. The fact that she HAS TO change her name and make this record enables tracking to "prevent" her from officially then buying Thai land or Thai houses - or allowing the state at a later date to "claim back" all land and houses in her maiden name if she has not changed it.

Any Thai female who is "married to farang" and has not changed her surname to her hubands has :

Broken the law.

Will automatically lose any land or house she has in her name if caught - or if some snooping neighbour reports her.

Is not "married" under Thai law.

To be honest anyone who thinks that Thai law which adamently prohibits the wives of foreigners to own land or houses would not enforce her to change her family name - well, I do not know.

Secondly - if she has not changed her family name you are not actually married in the eyes of the Thai legal system - the whole process is not formally complete until she changes her name. So it seems many out there are not actually formally married - they have bits of paper saying the ceremony has been done, but you are not legally in Thai married.

So now you understand why Thai Embassies have started asking for marraige certs and ALSO her passport or ID to PROVE she has changed her name and is therefore on record as being married to a foreigner - and so loses her rights to own land or houses in Thailand.

If she has not changed her name - you are not married and you will not be issued with a Non-Imm O visa - cause you are not married in Thailand according to the letter of the law.

Thats odd, my wife has my name and has a house and land registered in her name....

• Like 1

So for me whats the best way to proceed, I just arrived back in the UK for an 8 weeks stay to visit parents and plan to renew my NON O mutli entry, I have a Thai bank acc with 400k in it for over a year as I planned to get a retirement visa when Im 50 (in 4 weeks), now it seems Im going to have to get my Wife to put another 400k in my Thai bank acc and wait for 3 freaking months.

Should I go back on another visa and show some money in Thailand there like the 400k ie go back on a tourist visa then take my bank book an apply for a retirement visa.............what a mess.

Guessing your best bet would be to buy a tourist visa (1,000 baht for a single entry good for 2 months) and convert it to a non-o based on marriage in-country, which should only require your 400,000 in the bank, then the same 400k would get your 1 year extension after that. That'd give you ~17 months...

If you want a 1 yr retirement extension instead of a 1 yr marriage extension you could do the same but you'd have needed 800k, not 400k in the bank anyway (it's been 400k for a marriage extension, and 800k for retirement extension for a while now).

kannot

I do not understand your problem.

If you are fifty within a few weeks all that is required is a single entry Non O Visa based on marriage or an intention to retire.

Once back in Thailand an extension of stay based on marriage (or retirement if you have the finances) is easily obtained.

If an O visa is refused then all that is needed is a tourist visa which can be converted at immigration at a cost of 2000bht (You would , of course need to meet the financial and other requirements).

Toward the end of 90 days apply for an extension.

Thanks so best bet is back to Thailand in 8 weeks on a tourist visa, go to immigration and apply for a retirement NON O visa and show 400k or 800k in bank, I thought it was 400k if married? and in Thailand

Married 7 years and have kept 400k in a Thai bank for well over a year.

Guessing your best bet would be to buy a tourist visa (1,000 baht for a single entry good for 2 months) and convert it to a non-o based on marriage in-country, which should only require your 400,000 in the bank, then the same 400k would get your 1 year extension after that. That'd give you ~17 months...

If you want a 1 yr retirement extension instead of a 1 yr marriage extension you could do the same but you'd have needed 800k, not 400k in the bank anyway (it's been 400k for a marriage extension, and 800k for retirement extension for a while now).

Ah ok thanks Ill go for the marriage extension then as it just ties up 400k in an account.

If I go for the marriage extension do i need the POLICE report from the UK??

Edited by kannot

the canadian embassy and consulates do not have this financial requirement for the non-immigrant type O

the Thai embassy in Tokyo also has no financial requirement for a marrage based non-o visa though they do require financials for a tourist visa http://www.thaiembassy.jp/rte2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=603%3Anon-immigrant-o-spouse--dependent-of-thai-citizen&catid=51%3Avisa&Itemid=98 Edited by sometimewoodworker

Please allow 3 months for even the first seasoning as Many local immigration offices now want that, be warned.

I have not seen any such report for retirement - first application is 60 days.