All Non O Visas from Hull now need 800K Bht in the bank

If you are married to a Thai the income requirement is 400,000 baht in the bank or a monthly income of 40,000 baht . If on the other hand you are single or married to a non Thai then you need either 800,000 baht in the bank or a monthly income of 65,000 baht. Hull seem to be giving out wrong information.

I wonder if someone at the Thai Uk embassy that issued this ( then notified the others) has given out the wrong info if i can come to Thailand and get the same visa for 400k but 800k in the UK married to a Thai??

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As some people don't seem able to find the documents in full i have posted them below:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED WITH VISA APPLICATION
NON-IMMIGRANT CATEGORY “O”
FOR PERSON MARRIED TO THAI NATIONAL
SINGLE ENTRY “O” VISA:-
1. Passport with minimum 6 months validity at time of entering Thailand.
2. Visa Application Form fully completed and with two photographs attached.
3. Copy of Thai marriage certificate (front and back).
4. Copy of either spouse’s Thai passport or Thai ID card (front and back).
showing their family name to be the same as that of visa applicant.
5. Copy of Thai Bank Book or UK “Current Account” bank statements for last
3 months showing monthly income equivalent to THB65k or lump-sum
amount of THB800k.
MULTIPLE ENTRY “O” VISA (First visa of this type):-
5. Copy of UK “Current Account” bank statements for last 3 months
showing monthly income equivalent to THB65k or lump-sum amount of
THB800k.
MULTIPLE ENTRY “O” VISA (All subsequent visas of this type):-
5. Copy of Thai Bank Book or UK “Current Account” bank statements for last
3 months showing monthly income equivalent to THB65k or lump-sum
amount of THB800k.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED WITH VISA APPLICATION
NON-IMMIGRANT CATEGORY “O” FOR
PERSONS AGED 50 TO 64 AND PERSONS AGED 65 AND OVER
SINGLE or MULTIPLE ENTRY “O” VISA FOR PERSONS AGED 50 TO 64:-
3. Copy of UK “Current Account” Bank Statements for last three (3) months
showing monthly income equivalent to THB65k or lump-sum amount of
THB800k.
SINGLE or MULTIPLE ENTRY “O” VISA FOR PERSON AGED 65 AND OVER:-
5. Copy of UK “Current Account” bank statements for last 3 months showing
receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum required).
6. Females who are officially regarded as “Retired” and aged 60 to 64 need to
provide evidence of the date they were officially regarded as “Retired” by
the UK Department for Works & Pensions (UK DWP). Please visit the
and proceed as follows:-
1. Click on “Age”
2. Click on “Female”
3. Enter “date of birth”
It will then give the date on which you officially reached State Pension
age. Print this page and include with your application.

So under the new rules (both Thailand and the UK) some poor sods who are married to a Thai and have children together will be unable to live together as a family.

Correct. If you haven't got the wherewithall to meet the minimum financial requirements.

No difference as far as extensions are concerned but many have exploited 'soft' visa procedures and resided on Non Imm O's with border runs,

I have lived mainly in Thailand since 2004 but have had to return to the UK every year for a medical. I've never known exactly how long I'd be in the UK each time so my wife (and sometimes our daughter) has come with me and we've treated it as and extended holiday of one, two, or even three months.

Originally I went to immigration at Si Ratcha to get an extension to my first non 'O', based on marriage, but, because I had to go back to the UK every year they wouldn't (didn't want to?) do it. They told me to get a new multi non 'O' each time I was in the UK and do ninety day border runs while I was in Thailand.

And that's what I have done every year since.

Does that mean I (under Si Ratcha immigration instructions) have been exploiting the soft visa procedures for the last nine years?

You have exploited nothing because you can meet the extension requirements. (There was NOTHING stopping you getting an extension).

There are many that cannot

So under the new rules (both Thailand and the UK) some poor sods who are married to a Thai and have children together will be unable to live together as a family.

Correct. If you haven't got the wherewithall to meet the minimum financial requirements.

No difference as far as extensions are concerned but many have exploited 'soft' visa procedures and resided on Non Imm O's with border runs,

I have lived mainly in Thailand since 2004 but have had to return to the UK every year for a medical. I've never known exactly how long I'd be in the UK each time so my wife (and sometimes our daughter) has come with me and we've treated it as and extended holiday of one, two, or even three months.

Originally I went to immigration at Si Ratcha to get an extension to my first non 'O', based on marriage, but, because I had to go back to the UK every year they wouldn't (didn't want to?) do it. They told me to get a new multi non 'O' each time I was in the UK and do ninety day border runs while I was in Thailand.

And that's what I have done every year since.

Does that mean I (under Si Ratcha immigration instructions) have been exploiting the soft visa procedures for the last nine years?

You have exploited nothing because you can meet the extension requirements. (There was NOTHING stopping you getting an extension).

Probably, but perhaps many of those folk have used resources taking care of Thai folk.

• Like 1

I predicted this was going to happen and cited it as one of the reasons that we will move back to the UK when our kids are of school age because as an expat you are really at the mercy of the next year's visa changes.

I'm 35 and have 2 children with my partner, I was mulling over the option of raising our kids in Thailand because we are very close to our Thai family, however I knew that over the next 18 years that anything can happen to the visa rules and I would be forever at the mercy of whatever was decided year to year.

4 years ago I could get this visa just for visiting a Thai friend. Then it changed to you must have a baby with a Thai. The next year you needed to be married to a Thai, and then you had to be married and have 400k Baht in a Thai bank. This coming year it's upped to 800k, so just in the space of 4 years it's gone from visiting a friend to needed to be married with quite a hefty wedge of cash sat in a Thai bank. How much stricter are they going to make it over the next 18 years? All they need to do is make some rule like any expat is not allowed to spend more than say 90 days of any year in Thailand and that would destroy any life we built here after how ever many years our kids were growing up here for.

So either I forever live in fear of whatever visa conditions I need to fulfil next year and be treated as a national security risk and a 2nd class citizen for the rest of my life with my family here, or we all move back to the UK where my partner will have all of the rights and privileges I am entitled to.

A worrying development for sure. There were rumours a few years ago that the 'marriage guarantee' requirements were to be doubled for the second time in three years. Then along came the financial crisis of 2008 and the stronger baht and so with farang a good deal poorer than they had been the idea was quickly dropped.

Can't help feeling that another hefty hike for married ex pats with families already here is overdue.

I have just called the Birmingham Uk consulate 9.48 am UK time ( am currently in the UK for 8 weeks) and asked them about this and the woman has just told me they are NOT being asked by the Embassy in London for financial details for a non o married to a Thai mutli entry Visas just marriage cert and Thai wifes passport or id card.............. sounds right mess to me with other consulates and even the Thai embassy site saying opposite.

Woman told me she has been scanning documents off to the EMBASSYand had no request for the 800k bank details

• Like 1

As the UK is making immigration so difficult for Thais (and all other non-EU citizens) is it any wonder that Thailand is responding in kind?

Those Thai's in farangland are taken care of, nooooooooooooo hoops,....... benefits............health care............the lot..............I cannot claim a single baht in LOS, YET, hoops.

LOS would prefer my wife should spend her life walking the streets picking up plastic bags and empty bottles to sell than me or any farang live our good life with what we have.

• Like 2

As the UK is making immigration so difficult for Thais (and all other non-EU citizens) is it any wonder that Thailand is responding in kind?

Those Thai's in farangland are taken care of, nooooooooooooo hoops,....... benefits............health care............the lot..............I cannot claim a single baht in LOS, YET, hoops.

LOS would prefer my wife should spend her life walking the streets picking up plastic bags and empty bottles to sell than me or any farang live our good life with what we have.

Have you attempted to navigate the "hoops" associated with a Thai gaining entry to any Western country ?

Probably, but perhaps many of those folk have used resources taking care of Thai folk.

Comes back to the rules. In this case the financial requirements are crystal clear (a bit foggy round the edges but the principle is there - show the income/resources and you get a visa/extension).

Have you attempted to navigate the "hoops" associated with a Thai gaining entry to any Western country ?

Resent history to stop folk milking the faragland benefit system once they have permission to stay. I cannot claim a baht in LOS and my Visa STATES, Non-immigrant, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference.

Resent history to stop folk milking the faragland benefit system once they have permission to stay. I cannot claim a baht in LOS and my Visa STATES, Non-immigrant, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference.

Do you have evidence for what is being alleged ?

Perhaps we should start to appeal to our own governments in regards to Thai nationals coming to our countries and living there.

The average Thai person earns about 8,000 Baht per month, but a foreigner needs to show 800,000 (100 times the average monthly salary) just to live here - forget about even working.

Maybe we should ask our own governments to also require Thai nationals that wish to come to our countries to show $500,000 USD in the bank account (also 100 times the average monthly salary) or get a 2 week holiday visa instead and go back to Thailand every 2 weeks.

Fair is fair, no?

And has anyone yet called the Hull Embassy to confirm these new requirements? It might just be a typo to include the 800,000 instead of 400,000 in the Marriage Visa.

Overall, there's a very strange feeling surrounding this topic : at a time when so many stories about the dangers of living in LoS appear every week on this site and elsewhere; it feels at the same time as if the Thai state is hell-bent on making it tougher to live here. I'm surely not the only one feeling that i am not really wanted ? Even for a UK state pensioner over 65, which has been one of the simplest categories in which to apply for a Non-Imm 'O', there has been a change at Hull. I've just come in on one, and when i called to ask why it was taking a bit longer than usual to be processed, was told that ALL Non-Imms were now being sent from Hull to London for stricter vetting by the Thai Embassy (and then back to Hull for sending out). It's all getting tighter and tighter obviously, but i'm assuming that the headline is not correct in relation to the over-65s UK state-pensioner category of applicants ?

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Imposing prohibitive financial barriers on married couples simply wanting to be together is an infringement on Thailands legal commitments on international human rights. These new 'rules' need challenging and to be put under the media spotlight. This could be down to one idiot somewhere rather than official policy. Hopefully all those couples at risk will start writing to their relevant embassies in their thousands.

• Like 1

This strikes me as the results of too many low lifes exploiting the system - I have been out here since 84 and have seen the mucking about so many tourists do .

Get a retirement visa..... makes life much easier.

Totally agree.

For years, Hull has been known as a soft touch.

People come here trying to find loopholes and exploit a weak Immigration system and this is the result, the tightening up of the rules, and more hurdles to jump over for all of us.

These new imposed regulations are just the beginning, expect a lot more in the foreseeable future and I`m sure many of you know who you can blame for it.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

A couple of points.

Firstly, under both Thai and UK law, a when a Thai lady gets married' in Thailand, the UK or any where else, she has the right to choose whether to change her name to her husbands or keep her maiden name.

Are the Thai Embassy in London and/or the Consulate in Hull removing that right?

Secondly, on the Birmingham Consulate Website, in the non immigrant visa section, there is no reference to the Thai wife's name on her passport/ID card needing to be the same as her husbands, and the only reference to required finance is the following:

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

There's no reference to needing to show 65K baht per month income or have 800K baht in a current account in the UK.

is your wife took the husbands name she should be able to show the paper that she get from the place where you registred your marriage that she changed her name , for use in uk this should also be translated certified by foreign affairs and again certified by uk embassy

Chang wattana Soi7, Lak Si

It isn't "scamming" the system if you just get a non-O with your marriage certificates (I have one set from the Thai embassy and one from the US embassy), your wife's house register and ID and no income proof. I used to be on this and it worked out well. I was leaving every few months anyway, and when I came back I would get 90 more days. Once I quit going abroad for work, I just hopped over the border, which is convenient if you live near a neighboring country. It gives you an excuse to travel. If you don't want to travel or spend much money, you just cross the border, do a little shopping and come back and you have 90 more days. Yes, it is a hassle, but easier than coming up with whatever sum they decide on. Of course, if you aren't near a border, I can see how this would be a major pain. I used to get my border runs done before noon, so it wasn't a big deal due to my location.

I am in the same situation, but will not be a surprise if Thai immigration start changing those rules. Not only the Thai bar's girls think that farangs have to spend money here, Immigration too. Even the retired ones.

If a Thai teacher getting the maximum salary of 30000 THB/month after 30 years employment by the government can have a decent and pleasant life here, why Thai immigration is asking for a minimum of 75000 THB/month for a foreigner???? Even Immigration have people working in its offices for the minimum wage of 9000 THB/month. Not all farangs residing in Thailand are trowing money away. Many can live well and healthy, and have a decent life, with the same money than any Thai working or retired citizen.

About Health Insurance? A foreign resident can get Thai Private Health Insurance by AIA for about 35000THB/year......and most will not have any problem in do it...but....800.000 in a Thai bank account??????

There are no changes for getting an extension of stay here from immigration.

Only in the UK for visas.

So basically it's just yet another case of a consulate making up their own rules (or more accurately their own interpretation of the rules).

Situation normal, then - no change whatsoever to the actual, official, Thailand Immigration rule book.

Not the consulate. I am applying for a non O multiple at Hull early next week and I spoke to them on Monday. They were very clear that they did not make the new rules, the Thai embassy in London did (I surmise, under direction from Bangkok).

Edited by SantiSuk

A couple of points.

Firstly, under both Thai and UK law, a when a Thai lady gets married' in Thailand, the UK or any where else, she has the right to choose whether to change her name to her husbands or keep her maiden name.

Are the Thai Embassy in London and/or the Consulate in Hull removing that right?

Secondly, on the Birmingham Consulate Website, in the non immigrant visa section, there is no reference to the Thai wife's name on her passport/ID card needing to be the same as her husbands, and the only reference to required finance is the following:

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

There's no reference to needing to show 65K baht per month income or have 800K baht in a current account in the UK.

is your wife took the husbands name she should be able to show the paper that she get from the place where you registred your marriage that she changed her name , for use in uk this should also be translated certified by foreign affairs and again certified by uk embassy

Chang wattana Soi7, Lak Si

I don't really understand your replies to my post but, just to clarify the name change point, when a Thai lady gets married it's the marriage certificate that proves her marriage not a name change or anything else (Thais probably change their names by deed poll more than anybody else anyway).

Once she is married she has three choices of name on her ID card and passport. Firstly she can do nothing and keep her maiden name, secondly she can change her surname to her husbands, and the third option isn't a choice of name change but a choice of status change. An unmarried female has the prefix nang sow (single) while once married she can choose to keep nang sow or change it to nang (married) Again she is free to choose either option.

Presenting the marriage certificate to an Embassy proves marriage while proof of name (changed or not) is determined by what is on her passport or ID card (although a visa applicant must apply in the name that's in her passport if it's different from her ID card)

Edited by sumrit

Just because you are leaving every year does not mean you can't get an extension as long as you do your first extension at the time of year when you know you will be here for a couple of months. You only need a single re- entry permit to make your trip.

Why make border runs every 90 days unless you really have to.

I'd agree with that if the UK was my only trip. But as I travel out at least bi-monthly I don't need border runs and so it has been convenient up until now. I'll likely try for another non-O next year (unless things change again), it will be interesting to see how that goes as my UK bank account (into which my income goes) has my Thai address on the statements.

I'm in the same boat - making many trips out of country back to the UK or to elsewhere, so a non-O multiple has been very suitable for the past 6 years. If we are forced down the extension route (I'm married and over 50) we would not want to be paying 1,900 ThB every time we flew out just to reenter. BUT, I have now dug out my notes from when I visited Sisaket immigration a year ago. They were trying to persuade me that an extension was better than a multiple non-O for my circumstance (quite why they had an interest in persuading me was not clear - more work to justify their positions I guess - or just being naturally helpful which they seem to be)

I note now from my notes that there is an option to buy a multiple re-entry permit at 3,900 ThB. Can someone who is using such confirm its existence and current (or recent cost) and that it can be used repetitively over the course of a year. That would make the extension route no less painful financially than the non-O route. Just the sycophantic grovelling to be allowed in once a year then (Hull has never required that laugh.png ).

This strikes me as the results of too many low lifes exploiting the system - I have been out here since 84 and have seen the mucking about so many tourists do .

How many people in the UK have 800.000 Baht (around 16000 GBP) to put in a Thai bank? Your thinking is very selfish.

You do not have to put it in a Thai account. You can keep it in the UK so long as it is in a current account. Hull confirmed to me on Monday that the Thai embassy in London are turning down applications supported by deposit accounts (in fact the lady in Hull seeemd toimply taht any deposiut account would be counted out but we now find that the website guidance seems to allow money to be in deposit accounts in Thailand - or have I got that last bit wrong?

How many people in the UK have 800.000 Baht (around 16000 GBP) to put in a Thai bank? Your thinking is very selfish.

You do not have to put it in a Thai account. You can keep it in the UK so long as it is in a current account. Hull confirmed to me on Monday that the Thai embassy in London are turning down applications supported by deposit accounts (in fact the lady in Hull seeemd toimply taht any deposiut account would be counted out but we now find that the website guidance seems to allow money to be in deposit accounts in Thailand - or have I got that last bit wrong?

Maybe not, I think I read that somewhere before.

There are no changes for getting an extension of stay here from immigration.

Only in the UK for visas.

So basically it's just yet another case of a consulate making up their own rules (or more accurately their own interpretation of the rules).

Situation normal, then - no change whatsoever to the actual, official, Thailand Immigration rule book.

Not the consulate. I am applying for a non O multiple at Hull early next week and I spoke to them on Monday. They were very clear that they did not make the new rules, the Thai embassy in London did (I surmise, under direction from Bangkok).

i have just been turned downed for a O visa which i have had fo 10 years..

reason...my pension income was not £1400..a month.. or other working income to make it up to £1400..

i earn £2500.a month with pension and self employed income and property income..i also have £9000.in my uk bank accpunt..

i sent them cerfified acccounts from the accountent..which was ignored...

so it seems 800000 in a thia bank or forget it..

i am now back to tourist visa....double entry £50..a time..so every time i get back to the uk..the passport has to go away for the visa stamp...nuisance for sure..

when i am 65 or so...get the O visa back...

I'm guessing not a lot of thought went into that post because technically, what you are saying is that for 2 people using exactly the same method of staying here, one is innocent because he has money but the other is guilty because he doesn't?

So if you have 800,000, but come here and spend very little you are a model citizen, and if you don't have 800,000 but come here and spend 60,000 a month, you're scum?

Just asking, because I have friends who fall into both categories. One guy I know (on an 800,000 retirement visa) lives - perfectly contentedly I might add - on $500 a month.

Just because you are leaving every year does not mean you can't get an extension as long as you do your first extension at the time of year when you know you will be here for a couple of months. You only need a single re- entry permit to make your trip.

Why make border runs every 90 days unless you really have to.

I'd agree with that if the UK was my only trip. But as I travel out at least bi-monthly I don't need border runs and so it has been convenient up until now. I'll likely try for another non-O next year (unless things change again), it will be interesting to see how that goes as my UK bank account (into which my income goes) has my Thai address on the statements.

I'm in the same boat - making many trips out of country back to the UK or to elsewhere, so a non-O multiple has been very suitable for the past 6 years. If we are forced down the extension route (I'm married and over 50) we would not want to be paying 1,900 ThB every time we flew out just to reenter. BUT, I have now dug out my notes from when I visited Sisaket immigration a year ago. They were trying to persuade me that an extension was better than a multiple non-O for my circumstance (quite why they had an interest in persuading me was not clear - more work to justify their positions I guess - or just being naturally helpful which they seem to be)

I note now from my notes that there is an option to buy a multiple re-entry permit at 3,900 ThB. Can someone who is using such confirm its existence and current (or recent cost) and that it can be used repetitively over the course of a year. That would make the extension route no less painful financially than the non-O route. Just the sycophantic grovelling to be allowed in once a year then (Hull has never required that xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.YrVD4txHqx.webp alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20> ).

A multi re entry permit is indeed available