All Non O Visas from Hull now need 800K Bht in the bank

People are saying it is only for Hull but , for example, the Birmingham Consulate website states that all Non Imm. O's now have to be approved by the Thai Embassy in London and its website states that a 800KBht ANNUAL income is reqd: 

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

• Validity of passport at least 1 year
  • Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photographs 
  • Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form 
  • Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at 

least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)

• In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is      necessary.
  • Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3            months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only      from the Scotland Yard.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at      least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • In case wishing to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But spouse      will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

David, a 'non o' visa and an 'o-a' visa are not the same and have different requirements.

Correct and it can only be done at embassy.

Plus the last line about spouse getting non-o visa is misleading. This would be a multiple entry visa meaning border runs every 90 days. Immigration cannot do dependent extensions for OA visa entries.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Imposing prohibitive financial barriers on married couples simply wanting to be together is an infringement on Thailands legal commitments on international human rights. These new 'rules' need challenging and to be put under the media spotlight. This could be down to one idiot somewhere rather than official policy. Hopefully all those couples at risk will start writing to their relevant embassies in their thousands.

"Prohibitive," that's funny. Having to show financials of a few thousand pounds, basically that one isn't flat broke, is now a "prohibitive financial barrier." And this for someone who is a head of a household to boot!

800,000 baht for a 90 day visa seems a little overboard. And why must it be money in bank acct and not other financial accounts as well

It is actually a 12 month visa.

I believe it states that the 800,000 baht requirement is for both single entry and multi entry Non-O's

"Prohibitive," that's funny. Having to show financials of a few thousand pounds, basically that one isn't flat broke, is now a "prohibitive financial barrier." And this for someone who is a head of a household to boot!

800,000 baht for a 90 day visa seems a little overboard. And why must it be money in bank acct and not other financial accounts as well

It is actually a 12 month visa.

I believe it states that the 800,000 baht requirement is for both single entry and multi entry Non-O's

Apologies - I must stop thinking just in multiple O terms.

Hi, I spoke to a girl friend who works in the police at Chiang Mai - and it turned out to be good timing. Last night, they were having a big immigration meeting to crack down on people doing paid work on a voluntary visa. So she asked the question about marriage visas and they agreed that in Chiang Mai at the moment, they are still accepting 400K in the bank for the non-O spousal visa. Since these are the guys processing them, I thought it might be interesting. She said the regulations are implemented differently in various places. It does not mean that things won't change here later on though.

Hi, I spoke to a girl friend who works in the police at Chiang Mai - and it turned out to be good timing. Last night, they were having a big immigration meeting to crack down on people doing paid work on a voluntary visa. So she asked the question about marriage visas and they agreed that in Chiang Mai at the moment, they are still accepting 400K in the bank for the non-O spousal visa. Since these are the guys processing them, I thought it might be interesting. She said the regulations are implemented differently in various places. It does not mean that things won't change here later on though. 

There is no difference between immigration offices. It will be 400k in the bank for 60 days or 40k baht income at any office.

There has always been a difference between embassies, official consulates and honorary consulates.

This nonsense in the UK makes no sense at all.

Hi, I spoke to a girl friend who works in the police at Chiang Mai - and it turned out to be good timing. Last night, they were having a big immigration meeting to crack down on people doing paid work on a voluntary visa. So she asked the question about marriage visas and they agreed that in Chiang Mai at the moment, they are still accepting 400K in the bank for the non-O spousal visa. Since these are the guys processing them, I thought it might be interesting. She said the regulations are implemented differently in various places. It does not mean that things won't change here later on though.

What's a "voluntary" visa?

I think it meant visa exempt entries. Or it could be volunteer.

I apologize - I did mean volunteer. These are the people working here on a charitable basis and with a volunteer status, then getting paid for their work. I am sorry, no sympathy from me. Thanks for the other comments - I think this thread caused some concern with people actually living in Thailand and married. If the extensions remain the same, then farang married to a Thai lady have more time to anticipate this type of requirement change and build up more capital in the account. Of course, if you are a farang lady married to a Thai man, you don't need to show any money...

With all these new visa requirements coming in. I personally think when they start with "you have to have a Thai bank account" the Thai government will start to TAX our bank accounts regardless if its been already taxed in your on country.

Start to Tax ? No you pay tax on money in a Thai Bank, or I have for about 14 years.. one Bank TAX is paid taken from my account every month the other every 6 months

Edited by ignis

Firstly, I must admit, I didn't read the whole thread!rolleyes.gif

But what is the big deal? Why apply for a "marriage"visa in your homecountry? Fly in on a visaextempt, gives you 30 days, straight to immigration to convert into nonimmigrant "O" based on marriage, show them the 400k in your Thai bank account. If your immigration is "friendly" it will give you an extension based on marriage of 15 months, some offices will do it in 2 steps: 3 months first and within the last month the rest.

Seems like most posters are not aware of, that they can have a non O issued in Thailand??coffee1.gif

Feels strange to quote myself!rolleyes.gif

But I would like to hear the visagurus comments on the above solution!

• Like 1

Applies to single men over 50 to.

If your 50+ and cant scrape 800 k baht together , I think you have bigger worries than being able to stay in Thailand.

Yeah! You're absolutely correct. Unless you are fortunate to be Nowegian or Russian, if you can't scrape 800K baht together, then you do have bigger problems that being able to stay in Thailand.

You miss the point completely. They want to see 800k baht in a bank account. Many people have assets far above that amount but keep only the amount for living expenses for a few months in a single account because of the low interest rates by banks.

I do not disagree with some minimun standard but they should base this on value of assets and not simply a bank balance.

Also the crazy thing is that this is the requirement for a 90 day visa, then if you want to extend the stay 12months you have to show the same thing again anyway. Why do they need to see this money again 3 months later? Just once a year should be enough

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

Does the Hull Consulate know that now Thai women can keep their maiden name after marriage ?

can you please explain what this has to do with anything

According to the OP, in addition to 800,000 baht (or 65,000 a month proof of income) for a Non-O based on marriage, you must also have your wife's documents bearing the same surname as you.

Does the Hull Consulate know that now Thai women can keep their maiden name after marriage ?

According to the OP, in addition to 800,000 baht (or 65,000 a month proof of income) for a Non-O based on marriage, you must also have your wife's documents bearing the same surname as you.

If she doesn't have the same surname, then the marriage process was not completed according to the Thais. You have to go back to your wife's original registered location to change your ID card. Then you need to update all the other documents too. You get a special name change document. It's a pain...

If she doesn't have the same surname, then the marriage process was not completed according to the Thais. You have to go back to your wife's original registered location to change your ID card. Then you need to update all the other documents too. You get a special name change document. It's a pain...

Bullshit

totster :)

But what is the big deal? Why apply for a "marriage"visa in your homecountry? Fly in on a visaextempt, gives you 30 days, straight to immigration to convert into nonimmigrant "O" based on marriage, show them the 400k in your Thai bank account. If your immigration is "friendly" it will give you an extension based on marriage of 15 months, some offices will do it in 2 steps: 3 months first and within the last month the rest.

Seems like most posters are not aware of, that they can have a non O issued in Thailand??coffee1.gif

You forgot the 40k baht income option.

You get non immigrant visa entry they don't call it a non-o.

Not all offices do it. For many it will be a trip to Bangkok for first 2 steps.

At most offices it will be a 4 step process (including Bangkok). Apply for visa with proof of 400k or 40k income and get 15 day under consideration stamp, return and get visa/entry stamps, wait 60 to 90 days, apply for extension showing new financial proof and get 30 day (at most offices it is 30 days from current permit to stay date meaning if you go 30 days early it will be 60 days) under consideration stamp and then go back and get extension stamp.

If in the northeast it would be best to make a trip to Laos for a non-o.

Anybody that is reading this topic that is not getting a visa in the UK can still easily get a single entry non-o with no financials needed.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

Nonsense. Yes it's a pain. But no, you don't HAVE TO do it - she's free to keep her passport, ID, driving license, whatever in her maiden name. Again, it only appears to be Hull who are trying to impose this 'same name' misinterpretation of the regulations.

• Like 1

Had email from hull last night,£20000 in my Lloyds e-savers account ,was not good enough, for multientry O visa (I am over 50), I have had this money in this account for the last 5 years and have had a O visa for the last 5 years,I have had to transfer money into my current account .....now, not sure if I will get visa as they may say it has to have been in account 3 months ....<deleted>...

Hi

I am sorry to hear you may have difficulty but am grateful for you posting.

I will be in a very similar position(more than sufficient money in an esaver account) but at least have time on my hands, won`t need another multi O until next year.

I can understand your frustration, it should really make no difference whether the money is in an instant access esaver account or a current account.

Good Luck

At most offices it will be a 4 step process (including Bangkok). Apply for visa with proof of 400k or 40k income and get 15 day under consideration stamp, return and get visa/entry stamps, wait 60 to 90 days, apply for extension showing new financial proof and get 30 day (at most offices it is 30 days from current permit to stay date meaning if you go 30 days early it will be 60 days) under consideration stamp and then go back and get extension stamp.

Anybody that is reading this topic that is not getting a visa in the UK can still easily get a single entry non-o with no financials needed.

in canada you can get a MULTI ENTRY non O with no financials needed

This is great advice ubonjoe but do you have a view on whether it is wrong that embassies/consuls have different requirements.

Surely, in theory at least, they all should fall in line eventually.

In the meantime I have no issue with anyone playing by the rules that are available - i just think that sooner or later everyone will be subject to the same financial requirements for a visa that apply for extensions.

soi41 can you point me in the right direction here, where did you get this info from is it on a web site

This is great advice ubonjoe but do you have a view on whether it is wrong that embassies/consuls have different requirements.

Surely, in theory at least, they all should fall in line eventually. 

In the meantime I have no issue with anyone playing by the rules that are available - i just think that sooner or later everyone will be subject to the same financial requirements for a visa that apply for extensions. 

I think they all should have no financial requirements.

Not all people wanting a visa plan on living here on it. There are some that want one so they can travel at any time to visit their family without worrying about time restrictions or the need for a an onward ticket that not having a visa places upon them.

These financial requirements place an undue burden on a lot of families that just want to be together and are willing to make personal sacrifices to do it.

Having to have 400k baht is bad enough but double the amount is outrageous.

I personally think the current requirements for extensions of stay based upon marriage are much higher than needed to live here.

They should also bring back the joint income rule. When it was taken away it forced many to go the visa route.

• Like 2

soi41 can you point me in the right direction here, where did you get this info from is it on a web site
I don't think anybody could find the rule. It is just a immigration procedure.

Immigration does these conversions all the time as the first step for getting an extension of stay if a person does not have a non immigrant visa entry and can prove they qualify for the extension. They are done for retirement, work, education and etc.

Edited by ubonjoe