Renewing british Passport

Apologies to terak for slight OT but can anyone confirm that digital photos are fully acceptable when renewing UK red passport via Hongkong ? How about non-digital ? 7000bht is inducing caution. I noticed some 2013 threads here mentioning intended use of digital versions but not as to whether there were any subsequent problems from the other end.?

I cannot see any specific statement on official BKK website regarding options / acceptability digital photos although I can see that the dimensional requirements might well challenge a non-digital product, or more accurately the photographer.

From memory, I think that last time, 10yrs back, a digital photo was definitely unacceptable even though the issued-within-5day passport had some kind of “digitized” photo page look. Maybe it was “Bangkok digital”.smile.png

Thks for any comments / Stan

You will have hard time getting photos taken that are not digital now.

There is no way to tell the difference unless they are poorly printed and/or printed on non photo quality paper.

So yes digital photos are accepted.

Edited by ubonjoe

You will have hard time getting photos taken that are not digital now. There is no way to tell the difference unless they are poorly printed and/or printed on non photo quality paper. So yes digital photos are accepted.

Thks comment and I’m not too surprised at yr availability prediction. Must admit have not entered a camera shop recently. If you are right, my nearly finished 35mm roll may be destined for a time-capsule only. i wondered if the ability to scan non-digital / digital photos was different (not a techie).

Assuming digital versions are OK, and in fact inevitable, I rather dread presenting the website’s required headshot example to the nearest photography unit. My last experience was that only inch/half-inch formulae were recognized. I noticed the US website offer a neat, do-it-yourself sizing tool which seemed very effective on a simul-head. Unfortunately I understand that the settings are, predictably, not compatible with UK. I guess time will tell.

I assume you are writing about this from UK passport webpage https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

It does not even mention digital photos.

You could just take the part titled the image of you I think they would understand it at a photo shop. Probably the greatest concern here would be the back ground color. They tend to like blue here.

I just renewed my US passport in July and it was the 2nd time (previous was 04) that I had digital photos for passport renewal. I took a template for photos that I found on US passport webpage to photo shop and then doubled checked the dimensions when I got the photos.

Digital is just about it these days. I think it may be starting to get hard to get film developed these days.

Yes, the link as per your post. Indeed, last time blue was definitely "in". My white ones were flatly rejected ("not machine acceptable").! Fashions change, or maybe it's technology enforced. Net result back to square one. Another reason for my present caution. Although, to be fair, at least acceptable colour examples are now offered within the guidance notes.

I noticed that UK photo booths are mentioned in the link. I daresay this may define to those familar with UK current activities that digital is the (only?) way to go. Looks like something out of Dr Who. For example -

http://www.picture-booth.co.uk/

Edited by stan18

• 6 months later...

The latest process for passport renewal (March 2014) is that the application must be taken to Bkk (I'm in Chiang Mai) personally and by appointment. How the heck do you get an appointment before you travel to Bkk? Or do you have to get one after you travel. Very expensive!! Makes a mockery of the recent reduction in passport fees.

JL

I renewed my UK passport recently. The "witness" section does not have to be filled in if you are renewing. If memory serves from reading the small print it's only if your identity isn't clear from your photo. I can only think very few exceptions here. In terms of a photo I got mine done at a Kodak shop in Phuket by a woman taking my photo against a white backdrop. As I saw her 'cropping' the photo digitally to ensure a white background I have to say it didn't fill me with confidence. They will accept a cover to cover colour photocopy of every page (including front and back) so no need to send back old passport. You also need proof of a permanent living address; so official letter confirming your address. So glad I renewed it before this current system which sounds like a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand