Renewing british Passport

If you need to call them 0913 232 0050 !!!!!!! £1.53 connection charge & £1.53 per minute if you transfer your call through them - <deleted> to that, www. saynoto0870 .com, gives you local numbers

Edited by terak

I need to look into the UK side of applications. I was thinking of mailing my passport copies and all the other documents to family back in england with everything for them to forward to the UKPA. Return letter to my family, plus return letter back to my address here. Would that work or not? It must be cheaper then via Hong Kong and back?

Seems like a good idea.

Why not try it and let us all know about the outcome

I would but I have 2 years left on my passport but maybe someone else might try before me.......smile.png

A "copy" of a passport would not be accepted from a UK address.

The whole, real, "old" passport is needed to secure a new passport.

Applicants for new UK passports residing in Thailand are, I believe, unique in their ability to submit a copy of their passport data page in application for a new passport.

Why suggest something which is doomed to failure ?

It is against Thai law to be here without a valid passport. Which is why people are allowed to submit a copy of their passport for renewal to Hong Kong. I renewed my UK passport last year, (via Hong Kong), only took a few weeks. Read the advice carefully for the forms, black pens ONLY are allowed, and the photo background is very important, I had mine done at a local photographic shop, they adjusted the background colour on their computer.

I need to look into the UK side of applications. I was thinking of mailing my passport copies and all the other documents to family back in england with everything for them to forward to the UKPA. Return letter to my family, plus return letter back to my address here. Would that work or not? It must be cheaper then via Hong Kong and back?

Cannot do this as you would not have the exit stamp in you passport.

Err ? the only way to renew a UK Passport in Thailand is via Hong Kong, that is via EMS Mail or Courier service, You Do Not get any Exit stamp, you get a brand new Passport returned with no stamps of any kind inside.

• Like 1

Err ? the only way to renew a UK Passport in Thailand is via Hong Kong, that is via EMS Mail or Courier service, You Do Not get any Exit stamp, you get a brand new Passport returned with no stamps of any kind inside.

Err ? Eddy B stated that he was thinking of sending his passport copies back to the uk to renew from there.I was commenting the the near on double cost that the uk government charges us. The only additional expense they have is getting the copies of passport from Hong Kong to the uk, which I assume would be done electronically. I renewed mine 3 years ago, but only have 3 pages left ! and now have to pay out another on another two tiered pricing system that the uk imposes.

Seems like a good idea.

I would but I have 2 years left on my passport but maybe someone else might try before me.......smile.png

Applicants for new UK passports residing in Thailand are, I believe, unique in their ability to submit a copy of their passport data page in application for a new passport.

No idea now-a-day, but you used to get your old Passport back with the corner cut off...

Re-newed mine last year via H.K., but the one before, from UK returned with corner cut off [9 years ago]

Edited by ignis

Err ? Eddy B stated that he was thinking of sending his passport copies back to the uk to renew from there.I was commenting the the near on double cost that the uk government charges us. The only additional expense they have is getting the copies of passport from Hong Kong to the uk, which I assume would be done electronically. I renewed mine 3 years ago, but only have 3 pages left ! and now have to pay out another on another two tiered pricing system that the uk imposes.

I think another problem would be that you would have to send your passport not just copies to do a renewal in the UK.

Edited by ubonjoe

It was just an idea. Shotdown and thrown onto the discarded pile. Just seems wrong that most other nationalities living in Thailand can get a new passport re-newed in country. Oh well.......I have over a year to start saving the silly amount of money it will cost to follow this silly process. :-)

You used to be able to get a passport here.

It was the introduction of the e-passports that made them stop producing them in each embassy, and consolidate the application process.

I know - because I previously got some of my kids passports in Thailand.

Typical British service though - you were made to wait several days longer than it actually takes to produce the passport.

I've a vague recollection it was a week or two. - but spotted an error on one passport when they gave it back to me, and suddenly they were able to produce another passport, with the correction, in one day. The whole Hong Kong process has me dreading a similar error happening, as it would take weeks to get fixed.

On the other hand - checked the Thai Embassy in London as my wife's passport's just expired, and apparently a new passport from there - you have to book an appointment, turn up in person (as you get fingerprinted and photo-ed), and it's two months after that (according to their website). At least the cost is still decent - slight bump from 1,000 baht in Thailand to £25 in the UK for a Thai passport.

My kids are dual nationals, and it looks like Thai passport renewals in the UK will be fun... Until they're 20(!!) they have to turn up in person, accompanied by BOTH parents or the required paperwork to explain the absence of one or other parent (i.e. a death certificate, or divorce papers, etc. The parent having a job is insufficient reason to not attend). And it's Monday - Friday, afternoons only.

Seems like a good idea.

Not quite unique - China is also on the list of those countries from which, for security reasons, you are not required to surrender your UK passport, just to send a photocopy.

I too recently renewed a 48-page extended UK passport at a cost of slightly over two thousand HKD - outrageously expensive. However, the frustration is compounded by the fact that, in common with most dealings with officialdom in 21st century Britain, there is no recourse to complaint; you pay up or you forego.

Welcome to responsive, caring government.

It is against Thai law to be here without a valid passport. Which is why people are allowed to submit a copy of their passport for renewal to Hong Kong. I renewed my UK passport last year, (via Hong Kong), only took a few weeks. Read the advice carefully for the forms, black pens ONLY are allowed, and the photo background is very important, I had mine done at a local photographic shop, they adjusted the background colour on their computer.

Hi Muddle, please note ...

At the bottom of the passport application form is a request for a "witness" to sign and print his own personal details including his passport number in order to confirm the correctness of the application and the correctness of the applicants photos.

Who can be be used for this purpose, has it got to be officials, professionals, lawyers etc... or can a British farang friend (or any farang friend) be used for this purpose,

Please advice how you dealt with this witness procedure ... Many thanks.

Reply from passport office when I asked why they were so expensive

Good Morning
Thank you for your email.

The National Audit Office (NAO) and Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) reviewed the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) consular services in 2006 and recommended limiting passport production overseas to fewer locations in order to increase security and reduce expenditure on new passport issuing systems and processes. Larger production centres, covering several countries, help keep the cost of a British passport down for customers overseas, without compromising the security of our systems and processes. As a result seven regional Passport Production Centres were set up.

This was the first stage of the rationalisation programme. The FCO is currently working with Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK to transfer ownership of the FCO’s operation to them, with a view to them becoming a single provider of passports for British Nationals, at home and overseas. All passports are now being printed in the UK and, in the longer term, all passport processing will move back to the UK.

The transfer of application processing has already begun and now British nationals living in some regions of the world have been included in the integration programme. The integration of passport services is being phased in gradually and over the coming months applications from other regions of the world will be repatriated.

By 2014 the current network of passport processing centres overseas will close and all applicants will apply directly to Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK. Until the integration programme has been completed all applications from British nationals overseas regardless of whether they are applying directly to the UK or still applying to the passport processing centres overseas will pay the same fee. This is because of the cost of maintaining the overseas processing network.

The financing arrangements for applications submitted in the UK are separate from the arrangements for applications submitted overseas. Each part of the business needs to recover the costs of the passport service through the fees we charge.

The price of the passport for overseas applicants will remain the same until the integration programme to bring all passport processing back to the UK has been completed.

Once the integration programme has been completed Her Majesty's Passport Office will review the pricing structure and the passport fee will reflect the actual processing costs.

Regards

Reply from passport office when I asked why they were so expensive

Good Morning
Thank you for your email.

The National Audit Office (NAO) and Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) reviewed the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) consular services in 2006 and recommended limiting passport production overseas to fewer locations in order to increase security and reduce expenditure on new passport issuing systems and processes. Larger production centres, covering several countries, help keep the cost of a British passport down for customers overseas, without compromising the security of our systems and processes. As a result seven regional Passport Production Centres were set up.

This was the first stage of the rationalisation programme. The FCO is currently working with Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK to transfer ownership of the FCO’s operation to them, with a view to them becoming a single provider of passports for British Nationals, at home and overseas. All passports are now being printed in the UK and, in the longer term, all passport processing will move back to the UK.

The transfer of application processing has already begun and now British nationals living in some regions of the world have been included in the integration programme. The integration of passport services is being phased in gradually and over the coming months applications from other regions of the world will be repatriated.

By 2014 the current network of passport processing centres overseas will close and all applicants will apply directly to Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK. Until the integration programme has been completed all applications from British nationals overseas regardless of whether they are applying directly to the UK or still applying to the passport processing centres overseas will pay the same fee. This is because of the cost of maintaining the overseas processing network.

The financing arrangements for applications submitted in the UK are separate from the arrangements for applications submitted overseas. Each part of the business needs to recover the costs of the passport service through the fees we charge.

The price of the passport for overseas applicants will remain the same until the integration programme to bring all passport processing back to the UK has been completed.

Once the integration programme has been completed Her Majesty's Passport Office will review the pricing structure and the passport fee will reflect the actual processing costs.

Regards

HAHA! When is the last time you heard of fees going down?

At the bottom of the passport application form is a request for a "witness" to sign and print his own personal details including his passport number in order to confirm the correctness of the application and the correctness of the applicants photos.

Who can be be used for this purpose, has it got to be officials, professionals, lawyers etc... or can a British farang friend (or any farang friend) be used for this purpose,

If you read the notes accompanying the application form you will see that you are not required to provide witnesses it is impossible while overseas. So ignore.

On my last trip back to the UK, I took the opportunity to renew my passport. How helpful the staff were in the Passport Office (Liverpool office). So much more polite, friendly and helpful than the Thai staff in the British Embassy, who can no longer renew passports and so much more efficient and helpful than Thai immigration offices. And half the price of doing it here. If you can, I would recommend renewing your passport in the UK.

At that price u might as well fly home and get one in UK, can be done in 24 hrs but that costs money too!!

Yep, the HMPO Premium Service charge for renewing a 48-page passport is £137. And there is, of course, the little matter of a return airfare to the UK to be included in the reckoning as well.

On my last trip back to the UK, I took the opportunity to renew my passport. How helpful the staff were in the Passport Office (Liverpool office). So much more polite, friendly and helpful than the Thai staff in the British Embassy, who can no longer renew passports and so much more efficient and helpful than Thai immigration offices. And half the price of doing it here. If you can, I would recommend renewing your passport in the UK.

Not so if the cost of a return airfare to the UK is included in the reckoning.

And, while the Liverpool office staff may be polite, friendly and helpful, I somehow doubt that my sister would apply a similarly positive description to their London Victoria counterparts, based on her experience of renewing her passport there last year.

The witness section is only required on an application for a first passport or on applications for kids.

If you're an adult, surrendering an old passport (or from Thailand, a copy of your old passport), the witness section doesn't need to be filled in.

P.S. For the kids, I've used either teachers at their school (International school, so British teachers were there that had known me for sufficiently long), or people at my office in HK (I work for a bank, so know lots of Bank Officers - myself included) as, for kids, it's actually the parent they need to have known for two years, not the child.

My friend went to Immigration to renew her visa today. She and her kids all had new Uk passports that they had sent off for via the route of sending them to Hong Kong as instructed to. She was told that because she had received her passport in the post and not in person that they were not recognised and the only way they could use them was to have the British Consulate provide a letter verifying that these were genuine Uk passports.

Actually believe they were asked for the normal letter from Embassy requested for everyone with a replacement passport. Most Embassies issue routinely even if passport issued elsewhere. UK does not - even when they were issued here - but will now do on request.

Actually believe they were asked for the normal letter from Embassy requested for everyone with a replacement passport. Most Embassies issue routinely even if passport issued elsewhere. UK does not - even when they were issued here - but will now do on request.

I renewed my passport in 2005, I made the application at the British Consulate in CM, and the new passport came to the Consulate from the British Embassy in BKK.

The Immigration office asked me for a letter from Embassy or Consulate to confirm that the new passport is correct.

I went to the Consulate in CM in order to get the letter, but the reply was "No" ... we don't have to confirm the correctness of a new British passport, the printed contents within the passport outline the correctness

positively.

I explained this to immigration and the matter was accepted.

New British passport applicants now get a payment receipt from HK and that will confirm the correctness of the new British passports.