Gerry Mason in ICU

phuketsub

I am sad to report through this forum that Gerry Mason, a longtime British expat resident, is in ICU after crashing his car into a power pole in Rawai.

Initial reports are that he suffered extensive facial trauma, respiratory problems and possible swelling of the brain, although a scan revealed no evidence of brain damage. He had a long surgery to repair an eye socket and cannot see, but recognizes visitors by voice: a good sign.

Efforts are underway to contact relatives and organize some kind of fundraiser to help pay his mounting bill at that hospital, before moving him to a less expensive facility.

Gerry is a real English gentleman, former soldier and is well known on the darts scene in Patong, where he has played for the Piccadilly Bar, Hemingways and in the Super League.

I start this thread as a way to help him on the road to recovery and will help provide updates as I learn more.

fundraiser for what?

he drives a car without health-insurance? and now wants people to help him?

c'mon son..

What has health insurance to do with a car accident ?

It might be possible that the hospital costs are much higher than what is covered in a car insurance policy.

fundraiser for what?

c'mon son..

It might be possible that the hospital costs are much higher than what is covered in a car insurance policy.

I think what falkan was getting at was, why wasn't HE insured? ("he" as himself, personally - not the car, or any minor health insurance attached to car insurance)

That said, I did mention in the thread running about the Candian school teacher, if Gerry was driving whilst intoxicated, and the hospital notes this in his medical records, he will have no insurance as he was undertaking an illegal activity.

Edited by NamKangMan

fundraiser for what?

c'mon son..

I think what falkan was getting at was, why wasn't HE insured? ("he" as himself, personally - not the car, or any minor health insurance attached to car insurance)

That said, I did mention in the thread running about the Candian school teacher, if Gerry was driving whilst intoxicated, and the hospital notes this in his medical records, he will have no insurance as he was undertaking an illegal activity.

And what I was getting at was that the hospital costs may be way over the coverage in the policy. I think a standard policy covers the driver for 1.000.000 Baht in medical costs, but looking at the surgery already done and needed posted in the OP, and taking in consideration it concerns a " farang" that 1.000.000Baht can be consumed pretty quickly.

I don't know anything about Gerry or the accident, I only air my opinion.

fundraiser for what?

c'mon son..

And what I was getting at was that the hospital costs may be way over the coverage in the policy. I think a standard policy covers the driver for 1.000.000 Baht in medical costs, but looking at the surgery already done and needed posted in the OP, and taking in consideration it concerns a " farang" that 1.000.000Baht can be consumed pretty quickly.

I don't know what insurance coverage other expats here are on, but I'm covered for 5,000,000GBP.

1 million baht just isn't enough for a life threatening illness or injury, especially with the "farang factor" and the ever rising costs of medical.

Edited by NamKangMan

I don't know what insurance coverage other expats here are on, but I'm covered for $5,000,000GBP.

1 million baht just isn't enough for a life threatening illness or injury, especially with the "farang factor" and the ever rising costs of medical.

Again, a health insurance or if you have family trust has nothing to do with this.

This concerns a car accident and is covered by a the car insurance.

Included are 1st class policy's and their coverage as forwarded to me by AA insurance .Quotations - 1st Class - Nissan Navara 2500cc..pdf

I don't know what insurance coverage other expats here are on, but I'm covered for $5,000,000GBP.

Again, a health insurance or if you have family trust has nothing to do with this.

Included are 1st class policy's and their coverage as forwarded to me by AA insurance .attachicon.gifQuotations - 1st Class - Nissan Navara 2500cc..pdf

"Again, a health insurance or if you have family trust has nothing to do with this." - really? Perhaps you can explain to me why.

I don't know what insurance coverage other expats here are on, but I'm covered for 5,000,000GBP.

Best not let any hospital you go to know about that.

Heres an idea - lets all spend a little time , and if needed , money , and ensure we have adequate insurance for situations we could all find ourselves in. If you choose to spend that money on "other things" --- dont expect strangers to bail you out .Hope Gerry makes a full recovery , but we here these stories all too often. 5 million baht insurance is absolute minimum cover.IF he was drunk , then no cover provided.

• Like 1

I'll all for chipping into the hat when someone is down and out but people want more details if asked for help.

If you want a hand out, be honest and tell people the circumstances of the accident.

Agreed. I have helped friends out before and will again should the need arise.

Isn't this what friendship is all about - a lift in the car, look after your dogs when you are away, visit in hospital, a few thousand baht in times of need etc etc.

Well that is what I call friendship anyway.

Agreed.

but lets find out if he was drunk first.

If he was, not a baht would be considered from me.

If you dont have insurance and with quite a few expats they cannot get it here because of there age

you need sufficient funds to cover all possibilitys be it 1m or 20m baht

Asking people to help someone they do not know financially on the internet i wish you the best of luck

People help friends not strangers

I'll all for chipping into the hat when someone is down and out but people want more details if asked for help.

If you want a hand out, be honest and tell people the circumstances of the accident.

Agreed. I have helped friends out before and will again should the need arise.

Isn't this what friendship is all about - a lift in the car, look after your dogs when you are away, visit in hospital, a few thousand baht in times of need etc etc.

Well that is what I call friendship anyway.

Agreed.

but lets find out if he was drunk first.

If he was, not a baht would be considered from me.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between having alcohol in the blood and being drunk.

• Like 1

fundraiser for what?

c'mon son..

No, not because he was undertaking an illegal activity, but because he was intoxicated. That would depend on the policy of course, not all policies carry that clause.

There are 2 policies applicable here: car insurance and health insurance.

Included are 1st class policy's and their coverage as forwarded to me by AA insurance .attachicon.gifQuotations - 1st Class - Nissan Navara 2500cc..pdf

Both health insurance and car insurance are applicable.

fundraiser for what?

c'mon son..

His skin colour will have nothing to do with the hospital bill.

I would ask everyone to refrain from speculation on matters like insurance or the exact cause of the accident, as I don't know all the details yet.

What I will say is that Gerry has always been a guy who kept his stuff together and even though he enjoys a drink I have never seen him sloppy drunk. A friend who went to see him suspects he may have fallen asleep at the wheel, but that may just be speculation too.

I understand that he has some medical coverage, but not enough to cover the huge and mounting bill at Bangkok Hospital...

Anyway, I just wanted to inform friends and family about his condition.

• Like 2

If you dont have insurance and with quite a few expats they cannot get it here because of there age

Asking people to help someone they do not know financially on the internet i wish you the best of luck

If I was wealthy I would help strangers!!

Better save your pennies so you can do it then

Better save your pennies so you can do it then

I only have enough for myself at the moment, if I was wealthy it would be great to help others in need!

• Like 1

I would ask everyone to refrain from speculation on matters like insurance or the exact cause of the accident, as I don't know all the details yet.

What I will say is that Gerry has always been a guy who kept his stuff together and even though he enjoys a drink I have never seen him sloppy drunk. A friend who went to see him suspects he may have fallen asleep at the wheel, but that may just be speculation too.

I understand that he has some medical coverage, but not enough to cover the huge and mounting bill at Bangkok Hospital...

Anyway, I just wanted to inform friends and family about his condition.

enjoys a drink and dont tell me the crash occurred in the night to? and why not choose/transfer to a cheaper hospital phuket,mission,vachira

they have fully competent people working there to..