'Splash Out' singer admits Thaksin ties

webfact

'Splash Out' Singer Admits Thaksin Ties
By Khaosod Online

t.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The pop-country singer ′Baitoey R Siam′, best known for her viral hit ′Splash Out′, admitted having performed for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in Singapore and Hong Kong.

The singer, whose real name is Ms. Sutheewan Taweesin, talked to the press after attending an event at Central Ladprao shopping mall earlier today. She was addressing a report on a certain celebrity gossip magazine which had alleged the ties between the singer and the influential former leader.

′Baitoey′ said she had indeed performed for Mr. Thaksin, but clarified that she had taken the job via the company and that she had not been personally invited by the former Prime Minister.

Mr. Thaksin has an amicable relationship with her contracted company, RS, and he has hired other singers of the company to entertain him before, according to ′Baitoey′, the singer behind the famous song ′Splash Out′ which has gone viral due to its distinctive dance move - a Thai answer to ′Gangnam Style′.

The singer denied rumour which suggested she is Mr. Thaksin′s mistress.

Ms. Sutheewan said she had performed in Mr. Thaksin′s presence twice: once in Hong Kong, at a banquet where a number of politicians flew in to visit Mr. Thaksin, and Singapore. The performances dated back to 2012, Ms. Sutheewan said, and other singers were there as well.

"When I performed and attended the banquets, I sat on the same table with Mr. Thaksin, and we have talked a bit. From the chats, I felt Mr. Thaksin is a good man," ′Baitoey′ told the press, "He did not know any song of mine, because he had been abroad for many years"

She added, "I sympathised with him because he missed Thai music and wanted to return to his homeland. I did my duty to make him feel he was back in Thailand".

Asked if she has been paid 1 million baht per event as the rumour has claimed, Ms. Sutheewan said she had been paid 500,000 baht, plus other perks such as a shopping tour. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09UVTFPVGszTkE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-19

Other well known singers have performed for him including Takkeden Cholada at his birthday party a few years ago. Bitoy is just a publicity seeker, a Thai hiring a singer is hardly a big deal. This story is in a long line of others like, I hurt my leg, and I had an intruder steal my handbag, just PR.

• Like 1

She added, "I sympathised with him because he missed Thai music and wanted to return to his homeland. I did my duty to make him feel he was back in Thailand".

She did her duty, huh? Guess we know what that means. But she is not his mistress, just a short timer.

She did her duty, huh? Guess we know what that means. But she is not his mistress, just a short timer.

Defamation surely? why do some people on here view all Thai women as prostitutes ?????

Edited by sms747
  • Like 2

Defamation surely? why do some people on here view all Thai women as prostitutes ?????

Ummm. Possibly because that's what the Thai written article insinuated?

• Like 2

So you read being a prostitute when it said doing her duty? (as a singer and fellow Thai)

So you read being a prostitute when it said doing her duty? (as a singer and fellow Thai)

The word duty is a little over used wouldn't you say. The insinuation of the article is most definitely not "he paid for me to sing, so I did a concert".

And of course, Thailand quaintly has the concept of mia noi which is so much nicer way of saying, paid for kept woman, because it definitely isn't Common for women of moderate means to accept cash to be kept in Thailand is it.

Then the most obvious issue of all. She didn't say, if you insinuate that "I am going to sue your ass."

Not really pocket money as it's over 5x her normal concert fee, of which she keeps 95%, R Siam are a very good company.

She keeps 95%.

The company keeping just 5% of the total fee would send them bankrupt in 5 minutes.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Not really pocket money as it's over 5x her normal concert fee, of which she keeps 95%, R Siam are a very good company.

She keeps 95%.

The company keeping just 5% of the total fee would send them bankrupt in 5 minutes.

Well that's what the singers are on, even new ones. But you have to remember they have over 30 country singers on the books who sell downloads and albums, as well as their radio station and TV channel, which bring in revenue. If you don't believe me up to you, why not ask an RSiam singer next time you meet one? You can at 7-4 concert this Saturday.

Edited by sms747

She keeps 95%.

Indeed, she took her own guitar and a beatbox to carry out the performance....

She can fiddle too...apparently

"I sat on the same table with Mr. Thaksin..."

That must have been truly exciting. Maybe it was one of those Chinese banquet tables with a large carousel in the middle and the two had a merry spin-around together.

If that damsel had any integrity and really wanted to do her "duty", she would've declined the gig and said: "Sorry, but I do not perform for fugitive criminals, as it would be morally wrong." But then again, a whopping 500,000 Baht plus "other perks" were perhaps just too luring.

• Like 2