Looking for an agreeable Thai consulate in Canada

Lately I have been going to Savanaket to get a non immigrant visa based on having a Thai wife and child.

But this time around I am in Canada, and I have a new passport (and my last visa expired in Oct anyway).

I am in Alberta, near Calgary. But I was wondering if anyone here has experience getting this kind of visa here, and where did you go?

• Like 2

@OMG

My experience in the last 10 years tells me that every consulate does things a little differently. Which is why the topics in this forum of experiences at different consulates in the region are very popular and heavily commented on.

Edited by canuckamuck

I live in vancouver and have always used the vancouver consulate. they have never asked for my marriage proof or bank statement. but they know us pretty well since ive been using them for over 20 years. how long do you need? vancouver has triple entry tourist visas which when combined with extensions can give you at least 180+ 60=240 days.

Thanks AJ I will consider it

i cant verify its true but an isaan immigration official told me last year she would give me 60 day extensions if i brought my marriage certificate in. that would give you 180+120= 300 days less the 2 days overlap = 298 days.!!

Don't forget a tourist visa expires in 6 months. So you have to do the 3rd entry before then.

oh yeah! my mistake . so 6 months plus 60 day on last entry of visa plus 60 day extension= about 298 days max. still not too bad for guys that go home every year.

Even a 2 entry with 6 month validity can be about 240 days with 60 day extensions doing only one border run.

With a friendly immigration office you can do repeated 15 day border runs adding the 60 day extension give you 75 days between border runs.

If you don't mind buying one ticket out out of Thailand you can get 3 entry visas with 6 months validity in Bali.

I have used Vancouver since 2005. No issues whatever. Have gotten Non - O, and many triple entry tourists, which I use now as I come back for work every April anyway.

Nice lady too - very pleasant to deal with.

and vancouver still hasnt ever asked for proof of marriage or bank statement for a NON-O multi for me. but, recently, as we go home every march, ive been using the double or triple tourists too.

Been getting mine at the Thai consulate in Calgary for years. Just google it for directions, it's smack in the middle of downtown close to the Calgary tower. Really nice old lady working in the office, very helpful. You might want to phone first and ask if you need to bring your marriage certificate. The hours of operation are a bit limited, I think 9am till noon. All the pertinent info is on the web site.

• Like 1

I'm also a Canuck and I have used the Edmonton Thai Consulate before. Very helpful and you can get (as mentioned already) any type of visa that you qualify for, no more, no less.

I'm not even sure if Calgary has one, do they?

In Edmonton I once applied for a Non-B and the lady told me to type out a letter saying there was opportunities in Thailand for me to start up a business. I did and got the visa the next day.

Here is the info that you need. They are very professional and helpful.

This is from the lady at the consulate:

1. A valid Canadian passport with at least 6 months of valildity remaining
on it when you enter Thailand and at least one set of two opposing blank
pages in the passport
2. One passport-type photo - coloured or black and white
3. A copy of your Marriage Certificate
4. A copy of the picture page of your wife's passport - this also must be a
valid passport
5. A copy of your flight itinerary from Calgary (or wherever your first
flight originates) to Thailand

You will come in and fill out a Visa application form (takes about 15
minutes). The usual turnaround timeframe for visa issuance is two business
days. However, if time is of the essence, for a $20.00 surcharge, we will
complete your visa the same morning you apply. The cost for a Multiple Entry
Non-Immigrant visa is $175.00. The cost for a Single Entry Non-Immigrant
visa is $65.00. We accept cash or money orders only - if paying by cash, we
ask that you bring the exact bill change.

Hope the above is a bit clearer - if you have any further questions or
concerns, please let me know.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Royal Thai Consulate-General
Lacey Court, 344 - 12th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T2R 0H2
Phone: 403-266-6995
E-mail: [email protected]

• Like 1

@OMG

My experience in the last 10 years tells me that every consulate does things a little differently. Which is why the topics in this forum of experiences at different consulates in the region are very popular and heavily commented on.

That's very true, especially at embassies/consulates in SE Asia but not so much in Europe and North America. And you weren't asking about a specific consulate but just generally about Thai Canadian consulates/embassy. And the fact is they may do things slightly differently in terms of some specific piece of documentation but if you meet their requirements, there should be no problem issuing your visa. In addition, you have the added benefit that the Canadian consulates probably have decent English/French websites and are staffed with English/French speaking staff so should be easy for you to obtain the information you need for the the visa you want. Good luck.

Vancouver or Ottawa are your only 2 choices, all other Thai Consulates in Canada  have been closed from the recent information I received from Calgary..

I guess closing the other Consulates allows for some extra tea $ ??

All are still shown on embassy website as of today.

I have also used the consulate in Vancouver for almost 10 years first 3 years was a tourist and the last 7 was a Non-Imm 0 marriage,as I only live 10 minutes away, and never had a problem, I even washed my passport with my Visa in it so I went to them and ask them if it was still valid and they told me it was.

The only documents that I need was

A copy of my wife's ID

A copy of our Thai marriage certificate, I also include a copy of our marriage certificate from British Columbia.

Don't need any bank statements or financially records and as one mentioned the girl is very nice and helpful.

I drop it off before 12pm and I pick it up the next day before 12pm.

Here is the website for Vancouver.

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/

Lately I have been going to Savanaket to get a non immigrant visa based on having a Thai wife and child.

But this time around I am in Canada, and I have a new passport (and my last visa expired in Oct anyway).

I am in Alberta, near Calgary. But I was wondering if anyone here has experience getting this kind of visa here, and where did you go?

Edmonton has a good consulate.

I just got that exact same visa(family/non-o) 3-days ago in Edmonton, cost me $140cad for a double and no questions asked. However with a new passport you will need your child's birth certificate and marriage license.....maybe....depends who is at the desk. Take your family with you. I have never had any problem whatsoever in Edmonton. - Good Luck

From the Calgary Consulate

"" It is with a very heavy and sad heart that I must inform you that the Royal Thai Consulate-General is closing forever on Friday, August 30 2013. We have yet to find out why, but we have received a message from His Excellency, the Ambassador from Thailand, Udomphol Ninnad that Dr. Lacey is no longer the Honourary Consul-General in Calgary. Therefore, any future visas will have to be applied for at either Vancouver Consulate-General or the Thai Embassy in Ottawa "

• Like 1

I've used the Vancouver Consulate-General for a good number of years for my retirement visa. Edmonton was good, but couldn't do everything I needed. I've been pleased with the service from Vancouver.