Best video player for Minix Neo X7 (Android)

astral

A little update for the naysayers of Minix

I have updated the firmware to the latest stock for 1080 from Minix Version 008

Later I decided to branch out and loaded Finless kernals

which are de-bloated and offer overclocking opportunities

for those who want better performance

I am currently running on the standard speed version

Bought the Neo X7 in Holland with the newest Firmware (V8 20140101).

Everything works great with XBMC! (so far with 720P and a 1080P overlay).

So this is really not a bad player. I think it's the best there is at the moment and it's getting better and better thanks to the firmwareupdates of Minix!

I'm a happy consumer....

One thing that's anoying me; The PS3-controllers won't work!

Somehow it's not possible to communicate with the controller by bluetooth.

Looks I have to root the device to make it work with an optional APP.

Please fix that in the new firmware!!

Freaktab's website offers the best information and kernel builds for Android devices. I love the potential of these RK3188 chip boards unfortunately they are not there yet. Full Hardware Decoding for video playback is there (don't tell me the you buy into the MX's settings switch). I am still very happy w/ Openelec running on my Raspberry Pi. True 1080p playback and it has a huge community supporting it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

After being lambasted for my choice of the Minix I did a little research

Now I am not really interested in Video streaming, I have a monthly cap

so all my video is sourced from torrents in the "free" night time and stored on usb hard disks

Cnet suggests a few options for media players

Roku 3 - no usb bah.gif

Apple TV - no usb bah.gif

WDTV Live does have usb, but is rather old technology to be buying today

I have not got to the 1080 issue yet with the Minix Neo X7

but it certainly does audio passthrough for Dolby on PCM

and Dolby 5.1 encoded TV broadcasts, like some of the BBC Proms

The Neutron player handles surround in a flac file and outputs

all channels through the hdmi connection biggrin.png

Whilst HTPC may be a better option, it would not fit in my suitcase when I travel

on business, as my old HDTV player has done, and the Minix will in the future. biggrin.png

The Minix is half the volume of the old WDHD player!!

i see the neo 7 does have an optical out, does it send spdif raw 5.1 dolby digital and DTS. a no answer would be a deal breaker. a yes and im on ebay tonight.

I have a Minix Neo X7 (Quickshot V1 ROM overclocked)+ Buffalo 2T USBHD running minixXMBC which gives decent scraping.

I also have a WD Live Hub with internal 1TB HD for networking running Twonky server.

XMBC can see it over Wifi as another source and streams fairly well.

It's not an android device for people who just want to plug and play.

@Astral

WD Live Hub 1TB fits very easily in a suitcase, and includes more storage than you ever need 'on the move'.

It may be low tech, but it works flawlessly out of the box and so does the remote.

The size difference is small, the weight difference is significant (cos of the internal 1TB HD).

i see the neo 7 does have an optical out, does it send spdif raw 5.1 dolby digital and DTS. a no answer would be a deal breaker. a yes and im on ebay tonight.

I am not sure on the stock ROM

but I am running Finless 1.8 and as long as you have the right settings in the Sound Menu of Jellybean

you can have DD 5.1 and DTS passthru with the SPDIF optical link or the HDMI biggrin.png

You should have consulted forum before buying such an expensive android tv box.

to get true 1080p, you need to flash a 1080p kernel rom first. Default rom comes with 720p kernel, choosing 1080p hdmi mode won't make it real 1080p but only 720p upscale.

Besides, anybody told you that these devices don't support 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound via HDMI/Optical output? Only 2.0 stereo lpcm/raw is supported.

A poor choice as media player, too expensive for smart tv purposes.

i have read different.

there is plenty of discussion of dolbly and dts passtrough for these devices, though not necessarily out of the box.

perhaps you should do your research.

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP049.php also

DETAILED SPECIFICATION Max Resolution 1080p [Full-HD] Box Type Android Chipset Family ARM Cortex A9 Chipset Model Rockchip RK3188 Cores 4 Chipset Mhz 1.8 GPU Mali400(x4) RAM (MB) 2048 Flash Memory (GB) 16 USB (Host) 3 USB (OTG) 1 USB Version 2.0 SD 1 SD Card Type micro-SD File Systems FAT UPnP Yes DLNA Yes Network Protocols Samba Wireless Network Wi-Fi(n) HDMI 1 HDMI Version 1.3 Audio/Video Other headphone/microphone S/PDIF TOSLink 1 3D Frame Packing No 3D Frame Sequential No Blu-Ray 3D No DVD ISO Yes Blu-Ray ISO No Dolby Digital Downmix Yes DTS Downmix Yes DTS Passthrough Yes DTS-HD MA Downmix Yes Fan No Front LCD No Supplied Remote IR W (mm) 125 D (mm) 125 H (mm) 20

Bought the Neo X7 in Holland with the newest Firmware (V8 20140101).

Everything works great with XBMC! (so far with 720P and a 1080P overlay).

So this is really not a bad player. I think it's the best there is at the moment and it's getting better and better thanks to the firmwareupdates of Minix!

I'm a happy consumer....

Originaly I bought the X7 though Aliexpress in China with free shipping to Thailand via Air China. If I recall, it was about 4000 baht. It arrived within 3 weeks during the first of December and came with the 2nd FW Release (0813, version 003). The box randomly crashed fairly frequently and some apps like Skype just didn't work! I was really disappointed with it.

Minix released the 6th FW Release (0101, version 008) which I flashed in the first week of January. It seemed to fix most of the problems I was having, but Skype still didn't work and there were some minor problems now with my airmouse. However that release of the firmware now supports OTA up grades.

About two weeks ago when I turned the box on if offered me a upgrade to the firmware (version 009). I haven't noticed any problems yet. The box hasn't crash since, Skype now works, camera works, 1080p mode works, all my wireless keyboards and mice work good, and there's and option in the settings for 5.1 audio output via the optical port.

I'm also now a very happy customer...

Yes indeed, it's getting better and better thanks to the efforts of Minix with frequent firmware updates!

It also has the best Wi-Fi reception I've seen and doesn't overheat like Android sticks. It also isn't overbloated with lots of useless apps with the new firmware. The only thing I don't use is the AirPin app which can be disabled.

IMO if one gets a Minix Neo X7 with version 008 or later of the firmware, it truly is a Plug and Play device!

As stated the stock ROM now offers 1080

but remember some TVs are only 720.

If you are in to gaming there are overclock ROMs from Finless

The Finless ROMs have the advantage of being debloated.

You can easily add the apps that you need.

They are also Rooted offering more flexibility.

For the more adventuresome who want to be in the cutting edge

there is KitKat, Android 4.4.2 available

Not fully functioning yet, but pretty close

Certainly good enough to run on a day to day basis

I am running a Kitkat ROM that offers 1080p biggrin.png

After being lambasted for my choice of the Minix I did a little research

Now I am not really interested in Video streaming, I have a monthly cap

so all my video is sourced from torrents in the "free" night time and stored on usb hard disks

Cnet suggests a few options for media players

Roku 3 - no usb bah.gif

Apple TV - no usb bah.gif

WDTV Live does have usb, but is rather old technology to be buying today

I have not got to the 1080 issue yet with the Minix Neo X7

but it certainly does audio passthrough for Dolby on PCM

and Dolby 5.1 encoded TV broadcasts, like some of the BBC Proms

The Neutron player handles surround in a flac file and outputs

all channels through the hdmi connection biggrin.png

Whilst HTPC may be a better option, it would not fit in my suitcase when I travel

on business, as my old HDTV player has done, and the Minix will in the future. biggrin.png

The Minix is half the volume of the old WDHD player!!

Wdtv live HD plays 3D 5-6gig rips in mkv 5.1 sound without a stutter. Pulls movie info from imdb and trailer. Lots of streaming options you can use it for local streaming.

Not sure how much better than you can get for the price.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I find store geekbuying has a good deal offering Minix neo x7 with $138, and when you buy it now you can get a free Gamepad G910 value $26. Cheers

Where to find it:http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/minix_neo_x7_sale

An additional note:

Gamepad G910 works well with the at present latest official release of Minix Neo X7:

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x7-kitkat-240-june-4th-2015.6185/

No need anymore to install additional android utilities, such as BitGamesClientTV_ENG_v1.2.2.apk ( having OpenpadUnion included ) or relative older android utilities like for example opd.bitgames_1220.apk and opd.touch_1220.apk ( Chinese utility OpenPad ).

Simply open Settings, submenu BlueTooth, click button combination X + Home of gamepad G910 and the pairing of the gamepad will succeed.

Btw. after having installed that latest official release AND the android utilities mentioned here above pairing did not succeed anymore on my system... so establishing the connection to the G910 has possibly been simplified ( an improvement ) ...

Archived