Thailand to launch world's first flood forecast system

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"the internet-based system for the Chao Phraya River basin is the first of its kind in the world"

not a lot of good if it rains, 1st things to go out is the internet

Quality post (seriously)

The next earth shattering invention will be underwater candles.

(and yes you can, but not for long)

Sorry, but TV readers are guilty once again of not reading what the article says! It says:

"the internet-based system for the Chao Phraya River basin is the first of its kind in the world"

This is 100% correct. I simply don't believe all those posters saying that the UK or the Netherlands, or whoever, have had such a system since a long time ago. Why on earth would the UK develop an internet-based system for the Chao Phraya River basin?

Thailand's IS the first of its kind in the world.

I'm trying to decide if you're serious or taking the piss. That's like saying I have the world's first waffle-maker at my house in Ubon - there wasn't one here before, so it must be the World's first. You could start a whole new Exalll's Book of World Records based on that logic!crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Note that the ministry of science couldn't actually come up with a plan of their own it is a Japanese funded and developed schemeblink.png

To think if brains were dynamite the collective power of this puppet government wouldn't be enough to blow Yinglucks nosecheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yes it is Japanese funded and development. smile.png

Thailand was going to try to do it but the money for it kept disappearing. I wonder if there academics will tell the government they don't need Japan like they told them they didn't need the Dutch to help with water management.tongue.png

Or what happened to there 100 mile long ten mile deep tunnel?facepalm.gif

I hope this is not going to turn out like the Tsunami early warning system that operated for two years without any batteries in the remote sensors out in the ocean, simply because nobody wanted to pay for new ones.

how many lives are lost in thailand because they won't pay for a new bulb for a motorbike or a battery for an alarm system ??,.....isn't a life worth 20 baht here ? PATHETIC !

• Like 1

The system comprises 1000's of people spread along the banks of rivers, 200m apart, all with a mobile phone. The idea being that they call a hotline number when the water goes past a certain depth. Works great.

And if that doesn't work, they will send smoke signals.

Note that the ministry of science couldn't actually come up with a plan of their own it is a Japanese funded and developed schemeblink.png

To think if brains were dynamite the collective power of this puppet government wouldn't be enough to blow Yinglucks nosecheesy.gifcheesy.gif

WELL....It's Japanese dollars (whoops! I guess where I come from is showing!)....rather, it's Japanese baht that is at greatest risk here. What do Thais have to lose in a flood other than people?

(When I asked a friend about the lack of reporting on the numbers of human casualties in the flood two years ago,she replied, "Not important." So....what is?)

Sorry, but TV readers are guilty once again of not reading what the article says! It says:

This is 100% correct. I simply don't believe all those posters saying that the UK or the Netherlands, or whoever, have had such a system since a long time ago. Why on earth would the UK develop an internet-based system for the Chao Phraya River basin?

Are you serious? The headline states "Thailand to launch worlds first flood forecast system". An accurate heading would be "Thailand to use old hat technology for the first time on the Chao Phraya River Basin".

I think once again we have someone guilty of not reading what the article says.

• Like 1

By keeping a colony of termites in a glass box and observing their behaviour, an effective flood, fire, and other natural catastropes warning system will be created. Approximate cost = 10baht. Corruption possibilities = zero. Suitability for PTP = none.

I wonder if anyone can find a dipstick in the country ?

Hey condom man. By your name, I'm assuming you know UK slang. Well you need to look no further than the present, or previous, government, to find more dipsticks than you can point a stick at. And putting them all into any of Thailand's rivers sounds like a plan to me!

Are you serious? The headline states "Thailand to launch worlds first flood forecast system". An accurate heading would be "Thailand to use old hat technology for the first time on the Chao Phraya River Basin".

...and here we have someone, guilty of not under-sa-tanding sarcasm...

The system comprises 1000's of people spread along the banks of rivers, 200m apart, all with a mobile phone. The idea being that they call a hotline number when the water goes past a certain depth. Works great.

Well every year it starts at middle September and ends end of November....most probably the same (+/- 1 month) for the last 1000 years

...and here we have someone, guilty of not under-sa-tanding sarcasm...

There's an art to good sarcasm and it should be left solely to those who know it.

Even the lowest form of wit doesn't remotely describe the exalll post. Try watching all the Black Adder series - a good start for the beginner!

I wonder if anyone can find a dipstick in the country ?

Nope. I've been helping our agent here train his guys (5 each) how to rebuild some military trucks.

Re-installing the engine & I asked "Where's the dipstick?"

None of them had a clue. They started stumbling around & bumping into each other looking for it.

We wound up having to rob one out of a wrecked truck.

"To prevent the same problems, Jica started developing the system in July last year under a budget of around 400 million yen (124 million baht) and has decided to commence full-fledged operation following testing"

Nothing like a real-life situation to test a flooding system. Mind you, k. Banharn predicted today that the flood crisis would be solved in seven days. Standing in the water probably effected his rheumatism to the point that a soreness in his big toe coupled with 7 decades of experience allowed him to make this prediction. Who needs high-tech solutions?

Edited by rubl