PM Yingluck urges public not to worry about flood situation

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it looks good when the PM seems omniscient but you would want the chairman of THAI Airways to appear on the flight deck of a 747 and start telling the pilots how he wants them to fly the plane.

No but he should be on the flight deck making merit to ward off the angry spirits during landings.....you can't expect the pilots to do everything themselves....

"Amid public concern with possible nationwide flooding as in 2011, the premier gave assurances of efficient flood prevention plans as she inspected a Bangkok sluice gate in Min Buri district."

So really what she means is - there is no need to worry about flooding in any important parts of Bangkok, because plans are already in place to flood the peasants if necessary.

• Like 1

I get the impression that if the flood prevention measures do work the Yingluck bashers on here are going to be disappointed.

IMHO they will be happy IF and WHEN the flood prevention measures actually DO work.

However after two years they are still not all in place and the usual places are flooding.

Many of them have PTP voters but that is no big problem as the Red Shirts and the government will blame Abhisit and those nasty Democrats for holding up the bill in parliament.

The fact that IF the government had been open and transparent AND attempted to stamp out corruption at all levels (a PTP election promise if you had forgotten) the bill would have sailed through parliament.

• Like 2

I get the impression that if the flood prevention measures do work the Yingluck bashers on here are going to be disappointed.

IMHO they will be happy IF and WHEN the flood prevention measures actually DO work.

However after two years they are still not all in place and the usual places are flooding.

Many of them have PTP voters but that is no big problem as the Red Shirts and the government will blame Abhisit and those nasty Democrats for holding up the bill in parliament.

The fact that IF the government had been open and transparent AND attempted to stamp out corruption at all levels (a PTP election promise if you had forgotten) the bill would have sailed through parliament.

What do you mean ALL?

Anyone seen a concise list of what they actually intend to do and what the result would have been if a flood like last year had happened?

They have built some walls around the industrial estate in 2 years. Pheweee. Now that's progress....

• Like 1

Did they ever have a plan for when and by much to open the dams or do they just let them fill up to the top and then say we now have to open them...............run!!!!! Its the same as last time, if they let a little out a time before they full the problem might have been prevented, but then I am not a damn expert, but I do see people out of town flooded, probably democrats.

22:58 Channel 3 shows some nice pitoresk shots of the pastoral lifestyle along the Chao Praya river. Also people wading through water only ankle deep, monks busy with sandsacks, etc.

no TAT though, missed opportunity.

Edited by rubl

I had high hopes for Yingluck when she first came to power, but she is tarnishing her image now by reports of extravagant expenditure, and a certain intransigence when it comes to vital decisions on matters like flood defences.

Your other commentators are absolutely right. Thailand is NOT a Third World country, but a fast developing country, who have just realised, albeit belatedly, that they will be joining ASEAN in just over a year's time, and there is no way that inaction or delayed action can be contemplated now, when flooding is so bad North of Bangkok. Thailand is a major world contributor to the world's food and car markets, and we just cannot have a repetition of the situation 2 years ago, when major industrial complexes around BKK were out of action for several months, losing $ billions through lost production. When a major Pharmaceutical Company with whom I deal, moved to their brand new palatial premises just before the last flooding, I suggested that they incorporated a helipad ! They smiled but did nothing. When their key staff could not even get to them except by boat, maybe they thought it was not such a bad idea after all.

Yingluck must act fast, and decisively. She must be prepared to come down hard on those who illegally break down flood defences and barriers in their own area, and then flood vast areas downstream just to pass on the problem, which then becomes magnified exponentially.

I had high hopes for Yingluck when she first came to power, but she is tarnishing her image now by reports of extravagant expenditure, and a certain intransigence when it comes to vital decisions on matters like flood defences.

Your other commentators are absolutely right. Thailand is NOT a Third World country, but a fast developing country, who have just realised, albeit belatedly, that they will be joining ASEAN in just over a year's time, and there is no way that inaction or delayed action can be contemplated now, when flooding is so bad North of Bangkok. Thailand is a major world contributor to the world's food and car markets, and we just cannot have a repetition of the situation 2 years ago, when major industrial complexes around BKK were out of action for several months, losing $ billions through lost production. When a major Pharmaceutical Company with whom I deal, moved to their brand new palatial premises just before the last flooding, I suggested that they incorporated a helipad ! They smiled but did nothing. When their key staff could not even get to them except by boat, maybe they thought it was not such a bad idea after all.

Yingluck must act fast, and decisively. She must be prepared to come down hard on those who illegally break down flood defences and barriers in their own area, and then flood vast areas downstream just to pass on the problem, which then becomes magnified exponentially.

Thailand was fast developing 8 to 10 years ago. Right now it is going nowhere very fast.

The problem isn't people breaking down the barriers, it's that they are expecting that there should by now be the semblance of some new barriers, but they are nowhere to be found....

Yingluck and indeed her toadies comments concerning the flooding bring to mind those famous last words of the mayor of Hiroshima.

''What was that big bang just now?

Like her and her toadies to come and meet with the of the people in our village who've lost what little that they had due to the flooding.

No wucking forries eh Yingluck , well not in your ivory tower anyway, time no doubt for you to visit a drier country methinks.

Then back here to pick up some flood damaged clothes .

Edited by siampolee