Rihanna pictured with a loris on Phuket's Bangla Road?

webfact

Rihanna pictured with a loris on Phuket's Bangla Road?

1379734850_1.jpg
Rihanna poses with a slow loris in Phuket. Photos: Instagram

PHUKET: -- It has been confirmed by Britain's Daily Mail newspaper that superstar songstress Rihanna was indeed in Phuket last week, spending a couple of days on the island before her Diamonds World Tour last night in the Philippines.

The 25-year-old posted a number of fun Instagram pics from her night out in Phuket, where the R&B singer was greeted by several species of native animals, The Mail reported.

One of the photos appears to show Rihanna with an endangered slow loris - likely on Phuket's Bangla Road.

The slow loris in Phuket has been a long-running issue on Bangla Road, with touts illegally using the endangered animal to solicit money from tourists. While several arrests were made in June, many touts continue to operate, with police saying it is hard to find them because they hide when police show up.

Earlier in the week on Monday (September 16) Facebook fan page Rihanna Thailand posted a picture which seemed to show the Bajan beauty arriving at an airport in Thailand.

It was also stated that she was staying at Sri Panwa in Phuket. However, Sri Panwa have since told The Phuket News that she was not not staying at the property.

Later reports had her booked into a villa at Paresa on the west coast.

Since then Rihanna has posted a number of photos on her Instagram account of her time in Phuket, including many with elephants.

"'They all hail Empress when She walk by,' she tweeted as she got up close and personal with a herd of tame elephants in the street," wrote the Mail.

"The singer appeared to be having a ball in the pictures, that showed her dressed in black pants and a strapless matching top with zipper detail down the back.

"Her dark locks were pulled back into a messy braid, with her face framed by a wispy fringe," gushed the newspaper.

"Large barely tinted sunglasses adorned her face despite it being dark outside and a long gold chain hung around her neck.

"In another snap, RiRi snuggled up to a cute slow loris - a strepsirrhine primate native to South and Southeast Asia.

'"Look who was talkin dirty to me! #Thailand #nightlife,' she captioned the sweet selfie.

"The star also posted a funny shot with her in the foreground and a scantily-clad woman dressed as a possible bride complete with jewelled bikini top and crown alongside a leotard-wearing man - both of whom appear to be yelling at the singer.

"'She was either tryna get married to me, or asking for the rest of my crop over costume! #Thailand #$treetLife,' she explained of the scene."

Rihanna's next gig is in Singapore tomorrow.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/rihanna-pictured-with-a-loris-on-phukets-bangla-road-42018.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-21

"The slow loris in Phuket has been a long-running issue on Bangla Road, with touts illegally using the endangered animal to solicit money from tourists. While several arrests were made in June, many touts continue to operate, with police saying it is hard to find them because they hide when police show up."

I just can't read any further...

"The slow loris in Phuket has been a long-running issue on Bangla Road, with touts illegally using the endangered animal to solicit money from tourists. While several arrests were made in June, many touts continue to operate, with police saying it is hard to find them because they hide when police show up."

I just can't read any further...

Obviously going undercover in "plain clothes" dressed as a paying tourist is beyond the BIB's comprehension... that or they really don't intend to stop a good little earner when they see one!

They'd rather keep an endangered monkey out of the jungle than a Thai off the streets!!

• Like 2

Phuket chief orders action over Rihanna loris photo

PHUKET: Kathu District Chief Veera Kerdsirimongkol has ordered the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Kathu Superintendent to 'urgently investigate' the issue of lorises on Patong's Bangla Road, after superstar songstress Rihanna was spotted holding one.

Rihanna has been sighted on the island at Phuket Fantasea, and posted photos on her Instagram account of her travels. In several photos it looks like she is on Bangla Road - and one photo shows her holding an endangered loris. Rihanna has thousands of followers on Twitter and Instagram, and the loris photo got 180,000 likes.

The photo has sparked outrage from many people due to the long-running issue of protecting the lorises in Thailand, and endeavours by animal welfare groups to keep them in the wild and away from tourists. They are an endangered species and it is illegal for touts to charge tourists money in return for photos with the cute animals. Several touts were arrested in June but despite promises of crackdowns, police say they are unable to track down the touts easily.

Today (September 21) Mr Veera said he had told both the Superintendent and the Ministry to investigate the lorises on Bangla Road again.

"Please investigate and prosecute, as per your authority and duty," he told them.

Also creating reaction were Rihanna's tweets via social networking site Twitter, about her experience at a sex show, including one tweet which said the following: "Either I was **** wasted last night or I saw a Thai woman pull a live bird, 2 turtles, razors, shoot darts and ping pong, all out of her *****"

Other tweets about the sex show followed, with Rihanna saying she was "traumatised".

When The Phuket News called Mr Veera to inform him of these tweets, he said the sex shows were "completely against the law".

"The authorities and officials who are involved with the law have surveyed the area to arrest and fine those involved. But they [the shows] still happen.

"Since I first started in this position I have ordered that officials must be strict and work to control these sex shows. They really ruin Phuket's image."

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-chief-orders-action-over-rihanna-loris-photo-42026.php

tpn.jpg

The Loris's are endangered....yes....But i'v seen it many times you are walking down the road and some creature is thrust upon you before you have a chance to realise what is happening, then they shout some enormous price at you. . I don't necessarily think she is guilty of something. It's these money grabbing senseless idiots that need to be stopped.

I think that the elephants have been cleared from Bangkok streets at last so maybe (and its a big maybe!) the authorities can do the same with these poor endangered animals like the loris and lizards etc in the rest of Thailand. The first time I went to Bangla I saw these animals on the street and was so revolted I left and will never go back. In discussions with some tourists they have the same reaction and will not go back to Phuket or elsewhere in Thailand again. But this is only a small number of tourists - it would need big numbers to have an impact on the Thai economy. However that eventually is the answer. Make the financial penalty (or the threat of it) so severe that the small money that changes hands to pay off the authorities will mean nothing. No tourists - no money for anyone.

"Since I first started in this position I have ordered that officials must be strict and work to control these sex shows. They really ruin Phuket's image."

But crooked jet ski operators...touts overcharging...muggings..kilking if tourists...tgreats by pokice to tge Australian Cobsul foesnt hurt ohuket?????...only sex???

I think I will go suicide before I puke to death

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-chief-orders-action-over-rihanna-loris-photo-42026.php

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've just realised that I am no longer of this world. I know what a loris is but who is this Rihanna person? Is she a reincarnation of Vera Lynn or Alma Cogan?

Given all the BS that surrounds these so called 'celebrities' and 'super stars' I wonder if her real name is Madge Higginbottom or something similar. I also wonder is anybody will remember her in a couple of years time.

Two loris touts arrested in Phuket raid ordered by Gov

1379779169_1.jpg

The 20 year old tout, Watchara Pipattanakul, with his loris.

PHUKET: Two loris touts, aged 16 and 20, were arrested in Phuket tonight (September 21) after officials raided Patong's Bangla Road, in response to singer Rihanna posting a photo of herself with an endangered loris.

R&B singer Rihanna, who is currently in Phuket, took a photo of herself with a loris while out on Bangla Road and posted it on Instagram yesterday. The photo sparked outrage from many people due to the long-running endeavours by animal welfare groups to keep the animals in the wild and away from tourists.

Lorises are an endangered species and it is illegal for touts to charge tourists money in return for photos with the cute animals. Several touts were arrested in June but despite promises of crackdowns, police say they are unable to track down the touts easily.

Earlier today, Kathu District Chief Veera Kerdsirimongkol ordered the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Kathu Superintendent to 'urgently investigate' the issue of lorises on Bangla Road.

Later this evening, an official order from Phuket Governor Maitree Intusut arrived, and officials were told to complete a raid on Bangla Road. Wildlife Suppression Patrol Officers worked together with police during the raid. This is the first of many planned for the area, officials said.

Two touts were arrested and taken to Kathu Police Station, where they were presented to the media at around 9pm tonight.

Awat Nithikul, the leader of the patrol officers and Senior Forest Academic at Khao Phra Taew Forest Preserve, told The Phuket News, "I had an order from the Phuket Governor to do a raid today after Rihanna posted a photo of her with the loris."

"It is very difficult to do the raids because the touts have spies. If someone hears that the police are coming their way, there will be a person who calls the touts and tells them to move.

"But this is a big deal because it might affect Thailand's reputation."

The two arrested touts are waiting to be bailed, and the two lorises will be returned to a national park in Phang Nga.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-loris-touts-arrested-in-phuket-raid-ordered-by-gov-42029.php

tpn.jpg

I've just realised that I am no longer of this world. I know what a loris is but who is this Rihanna person? Is she a reincarnation of Vera Lynn or Alma Cogan?

Given all the BS that surrounds these so called 'celebrities' and 'super stars' I wonder if her real name is Madge Higginbottom or something similar. I also wonder is anybody will remember her in a couple of years time.

Hardly a Madge, she's from the Barbados. Regaring the two other names, they are the real unknow and/or forgotten.

"It is very difficult to do the raids because the touts have spies. If someone hears that the police are coming their way, there will be a person who calls the touts and tells them to move.

Hahahah!

• Like 1

I think that the elephants have been cleared from Bangkok streets at last so maybe (and its a big maybe!) the authorities can do the same with these poor endangered animals like the loris and lizards etc in the rest of Thailand. The first time I went to Bangla I saw these animals on the street and was so revolted I left and will never go back. In discussions with some tourists they have the same reaction and will not go back to Phuket or elsewhere in Thailand again. But this is only a small number of tourists - it would need big numbers to have an impact on the Thai economy. However that eventually is the answer. Make the financial penalty (or the threat of it) so severe that the small money that changes hands to pay off the authorities will mean nothing. No tourists - no money for anyone.

I dont understand your position. What is the problem with a tout having this animal if he is taking good care of it. If it's making him money I'm sure he is going to take good care of it. If he does not have it then where would it be? in a zoo? or maybe in the wild where it needs to fend for itself and have predators to hide from. With a Tout he/she is being taken care of fed and sheltered and does not really have to work for their survival.

Let's take the example of the elephants. Why were they in Bangkok and other towns around Thailand? Because the logging industry has been shut down and the small amount of logging is not using elephants. So now how do the guys that own these elephants make money to take of themselves and their elephant. I agree roaming the streets trying to make a dollar is not a great option but what options do they have. Luckily they can go to other towns. If everything is stopped then what, set the elephants lose in the wild when they dont know how to take care of themselves? Tell me what the difference is between having a dog or cat as a pet compared to having an elephant or loris as a pet. The owner is taking care of them so what is the problem.

I think allot of people come to Thailand to be able to actually see things like this. An elephant on the street I always found it to be part of the charm of Bangkok. What is happening with the wild population of the elephants, they often end up in farms destroying crops getting farmers angry so farmers erect electrical fences. Every once in awhile you will see the story of an elephant dying from being electrocuted.

The Loris's are endangered....yes....But i'v seen it many times you are walking down the road and some creature is thrust upon you before you have a chance to realise what is happening, then they shout some enormous price at you. . I don't necessarily think she is guilty of something. It's these money grabbing senseless idiots that need to be stopped.

The photo is from her instagram stream..

Remind me of Mariah Carey

dumbquotesmariah.jpg

How about being initiative, and enforcing the law at all times, and not only when they are told to crack down on a particular offense.

By the way, I think the slow loris is quite low on the very long list of things that affect Thailand's image.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

I dont understand your position. What is the problem with a tout having this animal if he is taking good care of it. If it's making him money I'm sure he is going to take good care of it. If he does not have it then where would it be? in a zoo? or maybe in the wild where it needs to fend for itself and have predators to hide from. With a Tout he/she is being taken care of fed and sheltered and does not really have to work for their survival.

Let's take the example of the elephants. Why were they in Bangkok and other towns around Thailand? Because the logging industry has been shut down and the small amount of logging is not using elephants. So now how do the guys that own these elephants make money to take of themselves and their elephant. I agree roaming the streets trying to make a dollar is not a great option but what options do they have. Luckily they can go to other towns. If everything is stopped then what, set the elephants lose in the wild when they dont know how to take care of themselves? Tell me what the difference is between having a dog or cat as a pet compared to having an elephant or loris as a pet. The owner is taking care of them so what is the problem.

I think allot of people come to Thailand to be able to actually see things like this. An elephant on the street I always found it to be part of the charm of Bangkok. What is happening with the wild population of the elephants, they often end up in farms destroying crops getting farmers angry so farmers erect electrical fences. Every once in awhile you will see the story of an elephant dying from being electrocuted.

Right, lets wipe out all animals whilst we are at it, poor things have to fend after themselves in a dirty, dangerous forest after allfacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Right, lets wipe out all animals whilst we are at it, poor things have to fend after themselves in a dirty, dangerous forest after all:facepalm: facepalm.gif

Did you read what I wrote? Where did I say wipe them out?

I said that I dont see a real issue with a tout having a loir or elephant or whatever if he is taking care of them which if he is making money from one he will take care of it. I believe someone taking care of an animal, the animal is going to be much better off than in the wild. Look at the stay dogs all over Thailand and then the ones people have for pets, which one is better off.