Helmetless sidecar driver dies after big bike wipeout

webfact

I am sure the guy on the big bike and full leathers was going way to fast and I am sure the guy crossing the lanes did not

look far enough back or realize how fast the big bike was going. result was a deadly accident. Enough said. The big bike

driver will likely slow down in the future realizing the U turn areas are used by many and bikes with side carts can't drive

that fast. They regularly cut across from the slow lane to the U turn lane on many roads in Thailand. The other guy not so

lucky to learn from his mistake. RIP

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ar going faster than the distance you have to stop in it is too fast,.

When following a vehicle, yes, but the samlor cut in front of him. Do you travel everywhere at 5kph? Because that is what you are saying.

When you ride a big bike here and drive the speed that cars do, you really have to watch the locals popping out because they only "snap look" at oncoming traffic. All they see is a bike and assume it's travelling the same speed as little bikes, 40-60kph, not 120, which is normal for that stretch of road. I have had this happen to 3 friends, and it nearly happened to me on more than one occasion.

What is the speed limit. I would think 60 there by the Thai road laws.

90 is the limit with lots of 60 signs at the bends. but on the straights 120-140 is the average for most 4 wheeled vehicles.

When I drive that road at 100 k/h I do not get overtaken.

No need to exaggerate to make your point.

Why is everybody here talking about a motorbike or car unexpectedly pulling onto the road in front of you? This happens all the time, and is really not unexpected.

If it surprises you you have not been looking ahead and/or were driving too fast.

What is interesting, is that the 3 accidents I have had on motorbikes have all happened when I was travelling less than 60k's or around 30mph or less. Considering the speeds I used to travel, always faster than the traffic and frequently without a helmet, the one day I chose to take twice as long to get get to my destination and wore a helmet, I was hit from behind and had a head on with a telegraph pole. I was unconscious for fifteen hours.

The helmet meant that I lived to write this.

As "1daz" pointed out accidents happen. My only answer to this is to pre-plan trips mentally. Having a conscious attitude at the beginning of a trip and drawing that line through to your destination, no matter how short is what I try to do now.

My last accident was in Bali on an 'unplanned' trip on a small rented bike, wearing light flip flops (thongs). A young girl on another bike zipped out of a side street in front of me. I had to brake quickly and there was sand on the road. No warning. I went down.

Surfboard was unscathed and my toes intact. The bike cost about 400 baht to fix.

Lucky.

If you can't break in time you are going too fast. UUsually the case with big bikes. They also like to overshoot corners, again because of speed.

I think that gets a prize for illogical comment of the day - so many accidents are the result of a myriad of factors other than speed - dog running on the road, idiot feeling impregnable in big 4x cutting straight in front of bike, or, as in this case, the sidecar driver seeming to be not attentive enough. So sad, and my sympathy to his family, but that does seem to be the case.

Accidents can occur at 10kph! Sure, speed adds to the extent of injury in an accident, but is in itself rarely the cause.

If you can't break in time you are going too fast. UUsually the case with big bikes. They also like to overshoot corners, again because of speed.

I think that gets a prize for illogical comment of the day - so many accidents are the result of a myriad of factors other than speed - dog running on the road, idiot feeling impregnable in big 4x cutting straight in front of bike, or, as in this case, the sidecar driver seeming to be not attentive enough. So sad, and my sympathy to his family, but that does seem to be the case.

Accidents can occur at 10kph! Sure, speed adds to the extent of injury in an accident, but is in itself rarely the cause.

Sorry, all excuses and all avoidable accidents.

This is the reason I'm against these death machines. They are illegal and dangerous.

They are slow, unstable and don't have adequate lighting.

I've got to agree, these vehicles take up the same amount of road as a car, yet they are driven like a motorbike ( wrong way driving, moving to the front of a queue at a stoplight, random acts of idiocracy etc.).

Yes your god you see all and can avoid all.. your full of BS. Plenty of things you cant avoid or plan for in a car or on a bike. But hey keep it up.

Actually.. my apologies you are right.. you could stay home and sit behind your computer and comment and not be on the road that would avoid it.

Yes your god you see all and can avoid all.. your full of BS. Plenty of things you cant avoid or plan for in a car or on a bike. But hey keep it up.

Actually.. my apologies you are right.. you could stay home and sit behind your computer and comment and not be on the road that would avoid it.

No, I can't avoid it all, which is why I sold my big bike. Simply too dangerous here. And I have done a lot of driver and safety training for motorbike and car, so over the years have shown to be a safe driver.

But hey, up to you, you are a big bike rider and want to keep doing that, but in doing that are denying the truth to yourself.

No, I can't avoid it all, which is why I sold my big bike. Simply too dangerous here. And I have done a lot of driver and safety training for motorbike and car, so over the years have shown to be a safe driver.

But hey, up to you, you are a big bike rider and want to keep doing that, but in doing that are denying the truth to yourself.

You are saying all accidents are avoidable.. I am saying they are not. In doing so I acknowledge there is a risk to driving a bike or car or whatever.

I like driving my big bike even my small bike and even my car. Worst accident was in a car, not that that says much. I feel the risks that are certainly there outweigh the benefits. You made an other risk / benefit assessment and that is your right nothing wrong with that we all see things differently. I know full well I could die so far it has not happened but it could I prefer to enjoy life and for me a bike gives some enjoyment. I rather live a shorter fun life then a long safe one. Again that is a personal choice.

Do you still drive a scooter ?

Edited by LivinginKata
inflammatory remark removed

You are saying all accidents are avoidable..<snip>

Now where did I say that? The examples in the post I reacted to are excuses and avoidable accidents. But some accidents can not be avoided.

I did say that when somebody claims the accident was caused because a soi dog ran into the street most of the time that is a nonsense excuse used by somebody who should not drive a big bike because he does not know what he is doing, I do think that when somebody is surprised by a motorbike coming onto the road without looking that sorry, that is to be expected here at all times, etc.

Edited by stevenl

Thats bull i ride a 600 and smashed into a little girl in england at 30 mph.. I didnt have chance to brake let alone try to avoid the accident.. Thats why they are called accidents they happen all over the world

Hello? You might like to re-read what you have written! Suggestion: the faster you are driving, the more distance required to stop.wai2.gif

Thats bull i ride a 600 and smashed into a little girl in england at 30 mph.. I didnt have chance to brake let alone try to avoid the accident.. Thats why they are called accidents they happen all over the world

Hello? You might like to re-read what you have written! Suggestion: the faster you are driving, the more distance required to stop.wai2.gif

Reread and reconsider.

If you didn't have a chance to break, you were going to fast for that area.

Always wise to reduce your speed to get out of a 'tight spot.'

In general I would agree with you. If there are idiots close by it's best to let them go ahead and play by themselves. But in one incident I can remember being most thankful for my bike's turn of speed. I was returning at night from a bike meet in Chonburi when some guys in a pickup thought it would be fun to run me off the road. I tried the "go slow" method but they just waited for me to catch up. So in the end I just opened up the throttle and left them behind. It meant riding faster than I would normally do given the conditions. The whole episode was very scary.

The helmetless samlor riders family should pay for the damage to the big bike and the riders hospital bills.

Why do they get exempt?

Who says they get exempt?

If the sidecar driver is found guilty by police I hope he has his compulsory insurance. If so that insurance will pay.

When following a vehicle, yes, but the samlor cut in front of him. Do you travel everywhere at 5kph? Because that is what you are saying.

When you ride a big bike here and drive the speed that cars do, you really have to watch the locals popping out because they only "snap look" at oncoming traffic. All they see is a bike and assume it's travelling the same speed as little bikes, 40-60kph, not 120, which is normal for that stretch of road. I have had this happen to 3 friends, and it nearly happened to me on more than one occasion.

90 is the limit with lots of 60 signs at the bends. but on the straights 120-140 is the average for most 4 wheeled vehicles.

Lol. Get real Steve. Taxi's, minivans always 100+ between the airport and bypass.

• Like 1

Lol. Get real Steve. Taxi's, minivans always 100+ between the airport and bypass.

Simply not true. Sorry, but I refuse to join the 'bash those taxi's and minibuses' brigade and the 'tell lies about taxi's and minibuses because nobody likes them anyway' brigade.

Edited by stevenl

Simply not true. Sorry, but I refuse to join the 'bash those taxi's and minibuses' brigade and the 'tell lies about taxi's and minibuses because nobody likes them anyway' brigade.

Now I'm a"brigade" am I. Ok. Lol.

I'll bring my go pro on my next ride north.

Just realised you suddenly made this about the road south of the airport, whereas the original comments, including mine about the speed, was about the road north of the airport. And that makes a big difference. If driving 100 k/h north of the airport I hardly ever get overtaken. If driving 100 k/h south of the airport I overtake many more people than I get overtaken, but I do get overtaken much more than further north.

So yes, your statement '120-140 is the average for most 4 whhled drivers is not correct on either road, and for the road we were talking about and you were reacting to completely not true.