China 'serious' about rail link with Asean

webfact

China 'serious' about rail link with Asean
Juarawee Kittisilpa,
Kornchanok Raksaseri
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The new Chinese ambassador to Thailand insisted yesterday that rail-link cooperation with the mainland would be advantageous for Thailand and the region.

In his first press conference since taking the post in Bangkok last month, Ambassador Ning Fukui said: "This is one of the four major projects China will be pushing in the future". Other bilateral cooperation would include education, new energy and water management, he said. The ambassador said China's prosperity would also be linked to the development of its neighbours.

Trade between China and the ASEAN was worth US$400 billion (Bt12.5 trillion) in 2012, and the aim is to boost the value of trade to $1 trillion by 2020.

Beijing has been pushing for an ambitious Trans-Asian Railway link with Southeast Asia, which it says will offer great economic advantages to the ASEAN bloc.

"We have had close cooperation between the Chinese and Thai sides, but it's still in the stage of consultation," the ambassador said.

He added that cooperating over the high-speed rail link with China would be positive in many ways, given Beijing's ability to build bullet trains, that are already popular in China, as well as low construction costs. Thailand also stood to gain due to its location.

Ambassador Ning also spoke of Beijing's determination to push for stronger ties with the Kingdom, adding that large Chinese firms were planing to boost investment in Thailand in the near future. The envoy said Chinese PM Li Keqiang would visit ASEAN next month.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-25

• Like 1

The further this nation gets into bed with China the worst it will be for them. They are well out of their depth. For a country that has a myriad of problems dealing with nations on it's own borders just how do they think that they can deal with China. Both the economic and political concepts of these two bedfellows are far from aligned with the exception that they are both corrupt elitist regimes derived from poverty and ignorance.

• Like 2

train system needs to be good here first

The system is being improved all the time. All across the country, the old wooden ties have been replaced with concrete and the roadbed has been rebuilt under the new line.

China wants a rail link from the south east through Indo China to Singapore but it won't be the same route Thailand wants.

China wants to connect thru Vientienne, Udon Thani to Bangkok, but the Thai Government is spending it's money on expanding the line to Chiang Mai, where mountains block access to China. Common sense in Thailand - 'No Way - Jose'...

Firstly I think China will be the saviour of Thailand... We can resume this debate in 10 years time.

Second China Vientiane Udon Bangkok makes enormous sense, and I imagine our Laotian neighbours have already signed prelim contracts.

Third. A smart Thai Government would have China build a new railway to CM as a concurrent project utilising the expertise, materiel and logistic links that would have already been imported or created for the main project.

Finally, A smart Thai Government will look to ASEAN to shoulder some of the costs.

Just a few idle thoughts ......

• Like 2

The system is being improved all the time. All across the country, the old wooden ties have been replaced with concrete and the roadbed has been rebuilt under the new line.

I agree, big improvements have been made. Just a shame they haven't got around to replacing ancient rolling stock and wobbly tracks/points to stop the things running off.

In any case, the Chinese are 'serious' about a rail link for their own ends, not ASEAN. End of.

Correct given the number of derailments and lack of maintenance to the existing system which is getting older and older and no additional money being set aside for it good as the Chinese idea is sadlysad.png it is not the proper time for it here in Thailand.

• Like 1

China wants a rail link from the south east through Indo China to Singapore but it won't be the same route Thailand wants.

China wants to connect thru Vientienne, Udon Thani to Bangkok, but the Thai Government is spending it's money on expanding the line to Chiang Mai, where mountains block access to China. Common sense in Thailand - 'No Way - Jose'...

But in all fairness they did allow for the possibility for a spur line to Chiang Rai.

One big and glaring mistake in their list was

"Other bilateral cooperation would include education, new energy and water management,"

They must not realize that Thailand needs no help with any thing they know it all. Unless they were meaning Thailand could teach them. But some how I don't think that was their intent.smile.png

edit

I forgot to mention that China spends more money on green energy than any other country in the world.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2

I had the opportunity to see the derailment at Denchai a short time ago, since I was in the area. I was quite alarmed by what I saw. Many of the new concete ties/sleepers had broken or even crumbled into pebbles at the point where the rail sat on them. This seemed to be mostly on the low side rails ( inside of the curve). I have no idea if this was a problem with concrete quality or inadequate/inappropriate ballast under the ties - or perhaps both. Soon the rail crews arrived with a stock of old fashioned wooden ties and began replacing the broken concrete ties.

It's far more than just the route where China's and Thailand's desires are at odds. China wants an efficient medium speed freight moving train system. Thailand wants a people moving bullet train. Any bets on which will be built ?

It's far more than just the route where China's and Thailand's desires are at odds. China wants an efficient medium speed freight moving train system. Thailand wants a people moving bullet train. Any bets on which will be built ?

China wants access for freight out through Burma. They are in a strategically dangerous point if anyone closes the Malacca strait. It would also save weeks in shipping time and costs for products being sold to Europe and Africa.

China wants access for freight out through Burma. They are in a strategically dangerous point if anyone closes the Malacca strait. It would also save weeks in shipping time and costs for products being sold to Europe and Africa.

Good point but that could easily be achieved with a spur westwards off the mainline.

Edited by bigbamboo

I had the opportunity to see the derailment at Denchai a short time ago, since I was in the area. I was quite alarmed by what I saw. Many of the new concete ties/sleepers had broken or even crumbled into pebbles at the point where the rail sat on them. This seemed to be mostly on the low side rails ( inside of the curve). I have no idea if this was a problem with concrete quality or inadequate/inappropriate ballast under the ties - or perhaps both. Soon the rail crews arrived with a stock of old fashioned wooden ties and began replacing the broken concrete ties.

thanks for that info. strange how we dont get it from the press.

too far apart for the concrete sleepers? not enough of the good stuff in the concrete sleepers? me i dont know just guessing. dont think malaysia has any problems with its new concrete sleeper upgrades

The majority of Thai's I have encountered in the construction industry have no idea about concrete full stop. CPAC deliver concrete soup as the norm. If soup (too much water) was used in railway sleeper construction, and/ or the full 28 day slow curing process did not take place under controlled conditions, then crumble is what you will eventually get when shouldering the huge weight of rolling stock. Just a thought.

In relation to comments on Chinese railway construction, as another poster mentioned, they are up there with the best in the world. The Lhasa - Beijing railway is the highest in the world from memory, and is a superb example of civil engineering.

post-63176-0-10995400-1380096971_thumb.j

TBH if anyone can do it the Chinese can...take a look at their Qinghai to Tibet line...

http://youtu.be/bmktVZjGROg

Neilly, thanks for the video. Very interesting and certainly opened my eyes to this rail line and the engineering breakthroughs. Let's hope the China-Thai rail line satisfies the ecological and economic requirements. :)

Firstly I think China will be the saviour of Thailand... We can resume this debate in 10 years time.

Second China Vientiane Udon Bangkok makes enormous sense, and I imagine our Laotian neighbours have already signed prelim contracts.

Third. A smart Thai Government would have China build a new railway to CM as a concurrent project utilising the expertise, materiel and logistic links that would have already been imported or created for the main project.

Finally, A smart Thai Government will look to ASEAN to shoulder some of the costs.

Just a few idle thoughts ......

I agree ten years we will have revealed a lot of flaws and good points in it all. Right now it is a guessing game. I give China the edge because they have just proved there willingness to try and convict people on high government posts of corruption as well as the work they are putting into green energy. Thailand is unwilling to even look at it. As for Thaksin that was all after he was removed from office.

The one point I would disagree on is the logistic links to Chiang Mai they have all ready looked at thgat and ruled it out. Chiang Rai was ruled a logical link as the terrain would allow it.

I just hope they do it in my time as I would dearly love to ride it.

In fact I was hoping for a ride to Banglol on the train but not under the present maintenance system. Train derail then maintain.

• Like 1