Bangkok braces for floods as Chao Phraya River rises

webfact

Bangkok braces for floods as Chao Phraya River rises
By English News

13800781025901.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 25 – Residents in 27 communities in 13 Bangkok districts have been warned to be on alert for flooding as the Chao Phraya River is rising.

Sanya Chinimit, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) deputy permanent secretary, said flooding has started affecting people residing outside the BMA’s anti-flood dykes.

Water level in the Chao Phraya River rose to 1.72 metres yesterday morning while the Irrigation Department released water from dams at 2,400 cubic metres per second and rain has yet to stop, he said.

All districts on both sides of the Chao Phraya River were ordered to stay on alert until early next month and told people to move their belongings to higher ground, and check the water level daily.

Mr Sanya said the BMA has prepared five million sandbags to prevent overflowing water and floods in areas where construction of embankments is not yet finished. The remaining section is about 85 metres long. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-25

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been tracking this years floodings upcountry but isn't this a good sign that water is being released into the river to flow out to the sea? If I remember correctly the flood of 2 years ago was caused by allowing enormous amounts of water to be pent up behind dams until the dams could no longer hold and it was the sudden release of water that caused the flooding in Bangkok. If the rain doesn't get worse upcountry shouldn't Bangkok be "safe" from flooding?

It sounds like its better this time.. I hope so as im in the path of the flooding. But as long as it is not on the scale of 2011 i should be safe. But the good thing is they are not trying to hold it up this time.

Residents in 27 communities in 13 Bangkok districts have been warned to be on alert for flooding as the Chao Phraya River is rising.

Good to see them list them. :rolleyes:

I recently moved to See Kan, close to Don Muang airport and I would be interested in just how likely it is, and from what source (canal name etc. so I can check it out with my own eyes).

The wife showed me a picture of a dam bursting north of BKK. She said it hasn't been put on the news yet, but someone put a picture they took with a mobile and posted on a Thai forum..

She isn't here at the moment, but when she returns from town, I will get her to send me the link and better info.

Looking forward to the link!

Edited by Dutchiebangkok

Residents in 27 communities in 13 Bangkok districts have been warned to be on alert for flooding as the Chao Phraya River is rising.

Good to see them list them. rolleyes.gif

I recently moved to See Kan, close to Don Muang airport and I would be interested in just how likely it is, and from what source (canal name etc. so I can check it out with my own eyes).

Well the Airport is quite safe. They built reinforced poured cement walls that are buried at least two meters deep and are roughly the same above ground. The walls actually circumvent the whole Air Force base as well. There were massive pumping stations installed as well. It was all done rather quickly and with the clear purpose of keeping the airports (military and civilian) from flooding again.

• Like 1

Good to see them list them. rolleyes.gif

Well the Airport is quite safe. They built reinforced poured cement walls that are buried at least two meters deep and are roughly the same above ground. The walls actually circumvent the whole Air Force base as well. There were massive pumping stations installed as well. It was all done rather quickly and with the clear purpose of keeping the airports (military and civilian) from flooding again.

That's only because military generals will all their medals and paunches can't swim anymore. They would be

• Like 1

Just passed a couple of canals in the Chutuchak area.....the water is quite high and almost breaking in some areas....

Does not look good for the canal side dwellers at all, with much more water to come.

Of course, no mention of the millions of people living on or next to these canals who were supposed to have been moved.

How many millions of tonnes of water hyacinth to move?

• Like 1

The wife showed me a picture of a dam bursting north of BKK. She said it hasn't been put on the news yet, but someone put a picture they took with a mobile and posted on a Thai forum..

She isn't here at the moment, but when she returns from town, I will get her to send me the link and better info.

As with the 2011 flood, please understand the difference between a dyke and a dam, before posting these stories.